Raw Food Recipe for Spicy Jicama Fries : The Renegade Health Show Episode #582

Wednesday Jun 2 | BY |

Over the Memorial Day weekend, Ann and I were looking for some raw food recipes to bring to a friend’s house…

We ended up bringing my famous guacamole, but there were some awesome ones that we said we were going to try out this week.

This one, for Spicy Jicama Fries, is a fun way to serve jicama, which is a watery, sweet root vegetable.

Your question of the day: What recipes do you want to see that replace foods that you love that aren’t so good for you?

Our moving sale is still going on until June 6th, so be sure to get 10% off on your order of appliances, foods, supplements and anything else in the store! Click here and use the coupon code: MOVING

Here’s the raw food recipe for Spicy Jicama Fries

1 large jicama, cut into fry-like pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder
sea salt to taste

Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl until fries are covered.

Enjoy with friends at a BBQ!

1. Tino says:

Where can you get organic jicama? Thanks!

2. eyla says:

I would love to see tiramisu made healthy, is that even possible?!!!?
    The fries look great, I don’t think we get Jicama here in Ireland, I wonder what would make a nice substitute, maybe Jerusalem artichokes?
    Thanks guys 🙂

3. Yum! I would love to try this recipe! However, it is hard to find organic jicama and I have heard conventional is dipped in harsh chemicals to preserve, similar to coconuts. I would love for you guys to address this issue… are coconuts dipped in formaldehyde?

My weakness is corn tortillas and chips, I have tried a couple raw recipes but all ended up like a corn cracker…. maybe you guys have some tricks?

Thanks so much!

Christie

4. Tyra McMahon says:

Bread please but not made with flax seeds. That would be awesome if possible. Thanks!

5. Kat says:

An easy way to make raw pizza. Love your kitty. He’s beautiful.

6. She says:

Cheesecake!

ps. loved the kitty-cam at the end…. I could feel my upper back, neck and face relax as I watched J5!

7. Ellen says:

A great recipe for vegetarian meat loaf…

8. Jo says:

Great question! Hmmm… Philly cheese steak and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

(Hi Kitty)

9. Kurt says:

I wish we could find organic jicama. Unfortunately, we can find none. If we did find it, I’d much on it all day.

10. G says:

Hi, I would like to see a recipe that replaces
    TOFU! TOFU, TOFU… and …CORN CHIPS!

11. Pat says:

Is there anything you can do with white rose potatoes? Ditto that for peanut butter cups!

12. Aleise says:

Calzone,Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups,Payday candy bar, S’mores

13. Kurt says:

Eh, peanut butter cups wouldn’t be that hard. Just make some raw cacao sauce, pour it in those paper mold things shaped like a Reeses cup, then put peanut butter in it, cover it up with the cacao sauce, smooth it out, and put it in the freezer.

14. heidi says:

I would love to see a vegan burger for the kids…and me! 🙂

15. John says:

JOHNNY 5!!! lol i don’t want to see you guys make johnny 5 tho, i would like to see…a raw vegan meringue or marshmallow. these are two confections i have managed to successfully veganize, now lets see if u guys can raw-veganize them. <3's!

16. Marjorie says:

sloppy joes.

17. Brigitte says:

Regarding Eyla’s question above about substituting something for the jicama, do you have kohlrabi around you? That might be the most similar.

18. briannaG says:

lol- that was one of the best endings ever!! I love Johnny5 and he isn’t even mine <3 That recipe looks really good. I just need to find people to enjoy them with me!

let's see, how about raw macaroni and cheese?! haha, that one seems like it would be tricky…

19. Angelique says:

Foods my family eats that I’d love to replace: fluffy bread (ie for sandwiches and burger patties), toast, fluffy garlic breadsticks, Jolly Rancher candy, rocky road ice cream, hash browns, coffee, omelettes, hot dogs, snow cones, jam, eggs rolls and lumpia.

20. Charlotte says:

aww, those are some pretty eyes!
    To re-iterate some of the comments above, I’ve also never seen organic jicama. I usually just buy it conventionally grown.
    Eyla- If you don’t have jicama maybe celery root would work? the taste is different but the look and texture would be somewhat similar.
    Hmm, I don’t know about a food replacement recipe but how about a cooked recipe you said that you would share with us?
    Have a good wednesday!

21. Sophia says:

Johnny 5’s eyes are so pretty!

22. Aimee says:

S’mores and mac and cheese please. That kitty of yours has the most beautiful green eyes.

23. Leah Disney says:

I have been doing fairly well in the dessert department..the raw foods seem to fall very well there. It is very hard as I see so many others here to do the bread and also the meats. I also have this thing w/the flax meal it just has a the strangest flavor to me when added I have been trying so many combos. No potato cravings. Ditched long ago. Been in creating land of mistrials for too long! : )
    Thank you so very much..You guys are the best!

24. Derrick Coleman says:

Johnny 5 couldn’t bat the camera away because his kitty hormones that make him sleep 20hrs a day were just too powerful! Umm…wow, what would I like to see a healthy alterantive for? Doughnuts!! Yum! :0)

25. Derrick Coleman says:

Kurt, those cacao pb cups sound awesome! I’m gonna try that!

26. Dianne says:

I’m like Christie – my weakness is tortilla corn chips. At least nowadays I’m eating ORGANIC corn chips 🙂 but I sure wish there was a raw replacement.

Any ideas guys? Dehydrated crackers just don’t do it for me.

Dianne

P.S. Hi sleepyhead Johnny 5!

27. ditto, corn chips.
    I’ve committed to try a 30 day raw challenge. Right now I’m about 85 – 90% raw. I see some questions ahead. What to do about replacing rice? Substitute with sprouted buckwheat?
    I’m also gluten intolerant, so no sprouted wheat for me.
    How about sprouted quinoa? Will that substitute for cooked quinoa?

28. Traci says:

The Jicama fries really look delicious. I almost forgot about the show looking at the beautiful, captivating eyes of Johnny 5 though! Wow, what a beautiful cat.

29. Kathryn says:

Great idea – Jicama Fries!

I would like to see you make dehydrated buckwheat pancakes that are somewhat light and fluffy.

Matt Monarch made a tortilla with young coconut meat and flax meal, so maybe young coconut meat with sprouted buckwheat meal?

Thanks so much,
    Kathryn

30. Tom says:

I’ve never seen organic jicama. I love the stuff; it’s one of my favorite snacks. I’ve made a similar version of the spicy fries, only I don’t use olive oil or sea salt. Instead, I use a little bit of fresh lime juice. (Cut jicama is fairly wet to begin with, so I find I don’t need the oil for the spices to stick.)

Instead of chili powder I use cayenne pepper and a SMALL amount of onion powder, or cumin, garlic powder. For variety I will sometimes add a little bit of finely minced cilantro.

I throw all the spices in a large zip lock bag, add the jicama, then the lime juice–zip shut and shake away. It’s fast, easy, and quick clean up.

This is a fun snack to experiment with a variety of spices. I also love adding fresh corn cut from the cob, with a little finely shredded mint, some pine nuts, and lime juice. For spice, add a little onion and a dash of cayenne. Enjoy!

31. RJ says:

Great recipe! Thanks! How about a recipe for some out of this world raw ice cream?

32. RJ says:

I forgot to add the flavor of ice cream…Vanilla!

33. Emily says:

How about heathy raw pizza.

34. nick says:

Popcorn I tried the cauliflower recipe but its does not come close to tasting anything like popcorn. A raw vegan scramled Egg recipe would be cool too egg salad sandwitch

35. Joy says:

As a cat lover, I ADORE Johnny 5’s cameos…they are fabulous – what gorgeous eyes!!! And a great stare down..us humans need to work on the eye contact skill! 🙂 All good. Thanks for the funsies!

Ooooh, and the food – BABA GANOOSH!!!!!!!! My favorite – and I have yet to taste it raw!!

36. connie says:

Tuna noodle casserole made with mushroom soup and old cheddar cheese…

37. Pat G. says:

Buy Abeba’s Krazy Kracker books. She’s AMAZING as are her crackers and chips: http://www.absolutelyabebaskrazykrackers.com/order.html

She’ll be on View from the Bay next Monday!…so cool!!

Check this out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y3atn4WVjU

They are wonderfully crunchy!!

Here she is in John Kohler’s front yard featuring her crackers::::

38. Jonno says:

LOVE Johny-5’s cameo at then end! He is so adorable! I don’t think we get jicamas in Australia… What other root vegetable could you use…?

39. Sharon says:

What I miss most is sour cream. I’ve learned to do without cheese after a long time but sour cream makes stuff taste so much better!

40. Jim says:

How about a new health meal replacements that is good for the family, easy to prepare relatively speaking, and can replace chicken?
    I have no problem eating whatever, but the kids do not.
    Anything for a good dinner meal that tastes like a SAD meal. Standard American Diet.

Thanks!
    Jim

41. Helena says:

a healthy raw pizza sounds good to me

42. Geri says:

thanks for showing us Johnny 5!
    How about raw mexican food?

43. Jana says:

I love oooey gooey cinnamon rolls

44. paul says:

I would love to have a decent fake pizza, raw or otherwise… that would be awesome.
    Can somebody please describe what a jicama tastes like? Thanks guys.
    Love that J5.

45. Cheryl says:

My favorite part of this whole video was
    JOHNNY 5. He’s sooooo cooool.
    I’d like to see Kevin’s blues, Ann Marie’s browns and Johnny 5’s green’s all together and close up, in a nice family photo. Can you do that for me? Sweet!
    Also thanks for the great recipe as usual.
    Keep em comin, Love you three in my daily company! Cheers & Peace Y

46. Hi there! I’m from Romania and here we have lovely turnips that can easily replace jicamas, but I don’t know if they have this in Ireland (for Eyla)!
    I would love to see any kind of raw cake but nut-free!!!!!!!! I’m so tired of always finding raw cake recipes that are based on sedds and nuts!
    Thanks guys!

47. crow says:

Johnny Five is a cutie with those big green eyes.

How about vinegar and salt chips??

48. Basia says:

I would love a low fat, non-grain containing recipe for delicious bread.

I have been looking for one for a while.

49. Ivy says:

I would love to make Ranch dip, Tofu, thin triangle sprouted chips, hot dogs, and fluffy light bread.

Raw pie crust and jam recipe would really help out a lot in the summer and around harvest season as well.

Thank you for the inspiration!

50. Robin says:

potato chips

51. Linda Miller says:

I put in a vote for the tortilla chip substitute. I try using my dehydrated flax crackers but they break easily.

52. Jan says:

I would like to see recipes to replace dog food. For now I use 1/3 part protein, 1/3 part vegetables, 1/3 part starch.

Protein can be meat, eggs, or protein powder.

Vegetables are any that agree with my dog. I do not use cabbage as it upsets his stomach.

Starch that I use is baked pototes, cooked rice or other grain, sweet pototes and sometimes peas.

This recipe came off the internet but do not remember the site. My vet said the dogs teeth will be bad and his health will go down. So far that has not happened. He has been on the diet about 2 years and is healthy with no teeth problems. My dog is 9 years old.

At times I wonder if his diet needs are being meet usually because someones says something negative about his diet.

53. Ella Jane says:

Well

I have no requests…after switching to raw food….it all tastes so much better than anything …..now I just want to learn how to culture veggies and make yogurt…afraid tomake it on my own….

Thanks for adding Johnny 5….btw…there is a restaurant in my hometown called…Johnny V…I should so send you a photo…maybe on FB.

Have a great day!
    When are we hearing about the 30-day transformation?

Janie

54. John says:

The biggest thing for me is crunchy things, I have a hard time giving up crackers and chips (tortilla especially). I have made some dehydrated crackers and they are ok, but not the same, maybe I’m just not dehydrating them long enough and not making them thick enough as they tend to be chewy and thin not thick and crispy like I like my chips. 🙂

55. Jacquie says:

I’d love a recipe to make crispy chip-type snacks in my dehydrator. I recently bought some raw zucchini chips (Aimee’s Livin’ Magic Hot Mama’s Cajun Zucchini Chips) that are dehydrated, and they were so crispy….like a potato chip. I’d LOVE to know how to make something like this or crispy corn chips. Everything I make comes out tougher. I miss that light, crispy crunch. Thanks! 🙂

56. Leam says:

What a lovely kitty!

I like recipes that are not nut and seed driven. The recipe today was great. I’ve also had it as noted by someone else just with lime juice and cayenne – perhaps a dash of salt but no oil. It sounds like the general masses want corn chips – interesting.

57. Beth says:

Those Jimca fries look just like the ones I used to see at the cafteria in High School.
    I’ve never used a Jimca before, so I’ll have to pay attention at the store.

Love the Johnny5 ending. I never notice how green his eye are. Wow! I’ll be smiling for the rest of the day now 🙂

58. Amy Davidson says:

Raw versions of english toffee, sour cream, smores, pizza, tortilla chips and ice cream cake would all be awesome!

59. Elaina Harman says:

When Johnny 5 came on, I went crazy talking to him and it was like he was responding in a coy fashion. Thanks for that.
    Would like to have lemon meringue pie, tapoica, mac n cheese and cheesecake.
    Thanks again

60. john says:

Excellent program from start to finish Ann Marie, Kevin and Johnny 5.Thank you.Something that replaces tofu and potato chips.

61. Isabelle says:

Hi Kevin and Anne-Marie,

I love your shows … i tell everyone about them!

I have a question:
    About the maca powder, i purchased some but i am hesitant about taking some since i had breast cancer (estrogen receptor positive). Do you know if maca powder would be a problem for me to take?
    And what kind of diet advice can you give me? I have a long history of breast cancer, i first had it at 21! I have a mutation in my BRCA2 gene. I have been a vegetarian since the age of 20 and recently cut out dairy and eggs. Thanks i would love to hear what you have to say!

62. Chris & Sara says:

Wow! I didnt realize how many tortilla chip addicts there are out there!! I thought we were the only ones!! LOL.

That is definitely something we would like an alternative for. Its about the only thing we still eat out of a package!

I love some of the other suggestions, so you guys have some great ones to work with. (Except maybe the hot dog…. eeeewwww)

Love you guys!

C&S

63. Tressey says:

I miss baked potatoes and beans of all sorts, especially in a soup during a Chicago winter.

64. Shokri says:

Great show, and J5 is such a cutie!

A suggestion for an ice cream substitute: freeze two peeled cut-up ripe bananas. Run them through the food processor for about 5 minutes, or until smooth & creamy – just like soft-serve. You could add vanilla, cacao, nuts, other fruits; but my whole family loves it plain. So easy and delish!

I find that sliced ocra with a little garlic powder and salt makes a good crunchy substitute for popcorn. Kale chips are also great for satisfying the need to crunch!

Here’s one recipe for cheesecake. It’s very rich, so I only make it for special occasions. Even non-raw folks love it! http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Lemony-Cheesecake-With-Berry-Sauce-Raw-Vegan-316719

65. Barbara says:

wow…I fixed these yesterday and they were great! thanks for the recipe! I love Johnny 5’s cool green eyes!!! He is just awesome! I would like to see you make some corn chips (anything with a crunch is great!) and some raw dips for chips or veggies. I was always fond of dill dip. TC you two, and thanks for all the cool things you do for us! My 10 year old Granddaughter says you are angels in disguise..LOL! I think so too!

66. Mimi Stiegel says:

Of all the posts I have watched that you guys have made… there is something very special about this one; and it’s just not the cat at the end (he IS beautiful! as are you two!). The way Kev placed his head on Annemarie’s after the recipe was complete, revealed something very real. Thank you… for the recipe, for your efforts, for the way you deliver your information.

67. jenny says:

I make this A LOT but I add some vinegar and salt. Yummy. Recently I made some “cheeze” sauce, and I was eating cheezy fries whilst my family ate pizza. I was not jealous!!

68. Ahh…Johnny 5! What beautiful eyes he has.

I would like to see a replacement for tortilla chips. I love love love chips and salsa. I’ve tried eating raw veggies with salsa and it’s just not the same. I know it probably never will be, but since you’re asking about replacements….

69. Wendi says:

My kids really love quaker chocolate chip breakfast cookies. I would love to have something raw, without the all sugar that I could make ahead of time and possibly keep for a week or so in the frig.

70. Lorien says:

Yep, I’ve got to go with tortilla chips as well. Pretty much can live without everything else. But I love chips and salsa. That and coffee are my only remaining vices. I still drink two cups of coffee every day and have chips every couple of weeks. Love the kitty. The two of you are pretty special as well.

71. I made the Spicy Jicama Fries for a raw foods potluck last Thurs. nite, but I did not like it. It was my first time having jicama, so I think that I’ll have to give it another try on down the road.

72. Casey and Mateo says:

I live where there is no Jicama, in Germany but we do have Kohlrabi, and that is great casue I love Jicama being from California and Kohlrabi is a great substitute, not sweet but wet and crunchy too. Kohlrabi fries here we come!

73. Sharon says:

biscuits and gravy

74. HaHa! It does look like corn chips it is… I will have to get my hands on a dehydrator
    🙂

and I must confess.. Kev and I do have some organic corn chips at times, so this will be a good substitute for all of us!!

Thanks for all your suggestions! I have some work to do!

75. Gwen says:

I put Jicama on my grocery list and am looking forward to trying the fries.

I would love a recipe for a Pennut Butter substitute, Biscuits and Vegetarian Burger or Meatloaf.

76. abeba says:

I noticed a few comments on making good raw food krackers, well look no further, The krazy kracker lady to the rescue. Go to my website krazykrackerlady.com The recipes are simple fast most nut free, gluten free and ooh
    so good. Thanks Pat G. for giving me my props