How to Make Essene Bread at Home : The Renegade Health Show Episode #578

Thursday May 27 | BY |

When I was interviewing Chef Susan Teton Campbell the other day I had no idea that she would share how she makes raw Essene bread at home…

But, she did, and we’re all going to be much more enlightened because of it!

Today, Chef Teton explains what ingredients she uses and how she does it. 🙂

Your question of the day: What is (was) your favorite bread?

Please be sure to check out Chef Teton’s Essential Cuisine on her website… http://www.chefteton.com

1. John says:

that has to be…homemade sprouted flax and kamut crackers 🙂 OH! and cinnamon raisin was my fave

2. Kurt says:

I have some sprouted wheat-free bread that I really like. I toast it and spread some coconut peanut butter and cinnamon on it. It’s quite good. I also got some sprouted wheat bagels. Those are pretty good, although I probably shouldn’t eat those as much. I dunno, I’m not so scared of gluten anymore. I don’t think I’m really sensitive to it anyway.

3. sharon says:

4. Magdalena says:

I love the Ezkiel 4:9
    Even that is not raw but is very good

5. Mae says:

GREAT SHOW i WENT TO HER SITE TO

6. Kurt says:

Quote from Sharon:
    “As I’m watching this video, I’m eating a folded up Ezekial Sprouted Grain tortilla with coconut butter dripping out the bottom and down my arm. ummm. I’m addicted.”

Wow. That sounds good. And to add to that, yes coconut butter with cinnamon is wonderful on sprouted bread. Especially when it’s toasted.

7. Ineke says:

Any bread made in a good old fashioned bakery. (may be baguette is nr1?) I grew up with the smells of good baked bread in the Netherlands, Germany and France. Bread is part of my life and I do not understand the taboos about it in the raw food world. Of course you can go overboard eating it and too much can clog you up. When I moved to North America I did not understand how one can eat something like wonder bread or “subs”. Personally I think that manna and essene bread is too dense for me. I used to eat too much bread but now I do not anymore. Everything in moderation is still my slogan.

8. andrew says:

garlic bread, garlic plus organic toast, wait to cool a bit add flax oil then the garlic

9. Sue Paterson says:

Daves Sprouted Flourless Bread

10. Nicole says:

A chinese bakery near my work makes this dark brown bread with pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and sweet adzuki beans in it. I have a weakness for it, so I’m trying to eat more red beans and seeds on my own to fill the craving.

11. Cheryl Holt says:

Essene cinnamon & raisin bread I love it because I can use it to make raw french toast in the dehyrator. YUMMY!

12. Camille says:

Mom’s Easter bread

13. Yuri Elkaim says:

That’s awesome! For years, I’ve been buying manna bread (which I love) but I’ll definitely have to try and make it from scratch now.

14. julie says:

Unfortunatly, i’m french and because the sound is not very good, i don’t understand everything…is it possible to have it written?
    please?

15. Claire says:

Date Walnut Essene bread for sweet.
    Manna Sunseed bread is great too.

Rudi’s makes a delicious cinnimon raisin bread as well, great dessert treat.

16. Nick says:

Wonder Bread? Hmmm, it’s a toss up, eh. When i was a kid i went to France with my family. I was so impressed by their baguettes, cuz the crust was so hard & the inside so soft that the crust massaged by gums & the whole inside of my mouth. Every bite registered as such a good feeling at the time. I know it was only conventional bread, but they sure know how to give it taste. Ha, come to think of it, back then I was probably eating Wonder Bread & the likes of that back home, so of course it was no toss up, whatsoever.

When I’ve bought the Ezekiel it’s always been their tortillas, basically cuz I find sandwiches too bready, putting the thickness of the bread in competition with the amount of contents. I’ve basically stopped eating sandwiches & for the most part, bread too. But I will try one of their loaves now. I think I hadn’t cuz it just looked like frozen conventional bread, in the style, anyways

17. Amy Davidson says:

I really like the Ezekiel breads and tortillas, and also Manna breads. Never tried Essene bread before, but I would like to.

18. Ella Jane says:

I have a wheat allergy…can I eat soaked, sprouted wheat berries? OR…can I make essene bread with other grains?

19. isabel says:

My really favourite is whole grain bread or rye sourdough bread as it is prepared in Germany or the Italian olive oil breads. Not glutenfree and certainly not raw but very flavoursome and very real, no substitutes here. I would love to try doing this recipe, esp. the fermented version. Chef Teton mentions that she ferments flour but does not elaborate. How would you do it? Are you going to try it out? Just received the culture starter – is that what you would use to start the sourdough culture?
    Great show! Thanks

20. Mina says:

Sorry folks… but FERMENTED FOOD is garbage! Just like alcohol and vinegar are!

21. Jackie says:

Mina ~ you said fermented food was garbage .
    Does that mean that sauerkraut is not good
    for people to eat ? Thanks ~

22. Taylor says:

“Dave’s Killer Bread” and “Ezekiel 4:9”!

23. Brenda says:

Hemp Seed bread, yum. I like dense bread. Actually I almost never eat bread any more.

24. Jan says:

I try not to eat gluten is sprouted wheat gluten? I do miss pumpkin/rye bread.

Thanks again for the information. I was not aware of Ezekiel or Manna brands of bread.

25. Joann says:

Sweet potato Essene Bread aka The Sproutman’s Recipe Book Kitchen Garden Cookbook only I dehydrate it. Chef Teton’s DVDs look awesome and I am going to order them.

26. Jacquie says:

Hmmmm, gotta be Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted cinnamon raisin. Put some coconut butter and a little more cinnamon on it……heaven! Great interviews, Kevin! 🙂

27. Ivy says:

I really can’t wait to try this one out, and get your book on the 7 days raw plan. I have been wanting a personal shopper so I don’t get distracted, and I’m going for the book for those shopping lists and pre-planned menus. Thank god you offer it! Thank you so much!

Anyone in Sonoma county? I just started a local raw group with Yahoo so we could share recipe ideas and whatever else. Contact me if interested.

28. Quinny says:

Croissant! I’m just kidding… I don’t eat bread anymore. I used to love bread, it made me sick, I can’t even eat sprouted dehydrated bread.:-(

29. Tabitha says:

Isn’t anything cooked over 105 degrees considered cooked??

30. Charlotte says:

I used to love bread too. Especially being Belgian we love good quality artisan type breads. However it makes me bloat till I look pregnant and it makes my stomach hurt really badly 🙁 I’ve tried manna bread and love it but I end up spitting up mucus the whole next day! This year I started making my own sprouted buckwheat quinoa bread but it can be really laborious.
    btw, has anyone tried Julian bakery bread? they have a gluten-free loaf and many other healthy breads and they also have a manna loaf that is gluten free. I think I’m gonna order some to try them out!

31. Lucia Belfiore says:

Ezekiel Bread is my favorite but I really want to learn to make bread in my dehydrator.

32. Kurt says:

Yep, I love Julian Bakery bread.

33. real French bread from a French bakery
    sourdough on the piers of SF
    my own home made bread.

However, now I am gluten-free, these are memories of pleasures past.

I do like THE FAMOUS ONION BREAD RECIPE I got from your channel. I will make some again soon since on June 8 I will attempt 30 day raw.

34. larissa says:

Almond bread…..use to make, bakes in 10 min

35. Nadia says:

Handmade sourdough bread made the old-fashioned way. Love the dense bread, sour taste and probiotic benefit!

36. Nadia says:

Most breads have mold… Alvarado St. Bakery Sourdougn bread always comes out mold-free 🙂

37. nick says:

Raw onion bread

38. Rhonda D says:

Ezekiel 4:9 is what I like, although the more I eat raw it is now becoming to heavy for me. so I make it a treat. thank for the great info.
    I will check out chef teton’s web site.

Best of health to all.
    Rhonda D.

39. vickie says:

Ivy
    I am in your area (Napa), How can I contact you?
    Vickie

40. Stephanie says:

Local Rockstar Austin bagels. French baguettes. Anything fluffy or cake-like, the sweeter the better.