Raw Food Recipe for Japanese Dulse Chopped Salad : The Renegade Health Show Episode #577

Wednesday May 26 | BY |

We’re so excited about 1 lb bags of dulse, we had to make this awesome salad…

Annmarie and I have been buying the little bags, but now we can buy in bulk and save money, plus save time going to the store.

Today, Ann shows us how to make a raw food recipe for a chopped dulse salad.

Your question of the day: What do you chop with? Or what is your favorite seaweed?

If you want to get a 1lb bag or two of dulse, please be sure to click here: http://www.renegadehealth.com/dulse

Raw Food Recipe for Dulse Chopped Salad

1 head of romaine lettuce
2 small cucumbers
2 tomatoes
1 cup of soaked dulse

Chop into bite size pieces.

Dressing:

1/3 cup water
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 clover garlic
1 tbsp dulse
1 tbsp cilantro
pinch of white pepper
pinch of Chinese 5 Spice

Blend well 🙂

Enjoy with some chop sticks!

1. gilles st. george says:

going to truenorthhealth.com leaving sunday for 2 weeks. keep up the good work.

2. Sheryl says:

I believe Sea- veggies are very unhealthy they are full of salt which is not good for us. Eating a sea veggie is no different than using sea salt. Jesus said God has given us the land fruits, veggies, grains, nuts and milk of the clean beast – anything beyond this is evil and will destoy the body. Our bodies were not designed to eat sea veggies. Plus they smell like fish.

3. allie says:

Sea veggies, evil? That’s a bit of a stretch and when you consider how 99.9% of how Americans eat, I highly doubt won can consider them that unhealthy. To each his own, but that seems rather extreme.

My favourite seaweed is dulse. So chewy and flavorful.

And I like to use the food processor or my ceremic knife – gets the job done really fast!

Love the show!

4. fumi says:

Gotta have a ginger grater!!! My vita mix and juicer. That’s about it. I love chopping veggies by knife. I love all seaweeds. I don’t have good teeth to chew SO I need soft food. If you like or need to eat mushy foods like me — this is what we used to do with nori in Japan. Soak the Nori in plain water OR seasoned as you wish (soy, cayenne etc) and wait till it gets mushy. A little water is all you need – don’t over water! I love this – called Nori Tsukudani in japan. Enjoy

5. Melina says:

I love dulse, kelp, bladderwrack (in a tea) and sea lettuce!

6. nancy says:

Wow that was heavy…I love sea veggies and I am best just using the knife and cutting board! Enjoy all your shows!

7. nick says:

A knife; I know its not the healthiest but toasted nori sheets with sesame oil and salt taste good. I like dulse in seaweed soup.

8. Peg says:

What a beautiful salad!

I love a good knife! I used to buy the gadgets, but would always just end up with my knife–the gadgets off to good will.

9. Melissa says:

I like to chop with a knife because, as like Ann Marie, I dislike washing many dishes in my tiny sink.

10. Leam says:

A good sharp knife…or for leafy greens and tender herbs, a good pair of hands works great.

11. crow says:

I use a good sharp knife and scissors to chop cilantro fine.

12. zoe says:

A knife to chop fruits….as for veggies like lettuce n spinach i dont chop them but merely rinse n eat…by the way y so many spices? they aren’t raw

13. Sophia says:

My favorite seaweed is sea palm! I really like it when it is crunchy. I actually saw one washed up on the shore at the beach one time!!!

14. Marina says:

thank you both… I have been adding more seaweed into my diet and LOVE it… i am enjoying trying all different kinds…

15. Terri says:

I became extremely sensitive to sodium in my 30’s quite out of the blue-doctors could never figure out why-kidneys are fine. Anyway, I’d swell badly if I had too much, so I’ve had to stay away from most sea veggies since. Nori and a bit of dulse seem to be ok. Before that, when I lived in Pacific Grove, CA, I would go down to the bay and out on the rocks I’d fish out some seaweed and just suck on it & watch the waves. Not sure how contaminated the water is now, but back then it was yummy!

And definitely a knife. Not only is it less stuff to clean, but preparing food can be a kind of meditation.

16. Diana Press says:

Definitely Dulse, but also like Spirulina a lot (is that even a sea vegtable?). I like raw nori for avocado rolls.

17. Jo says:

Sheryl – I like the “Plus they smell like fish”. Hahaha!

What’s my favorite seaweed? Now I’m afraid to answer. I’m afraid God might smite me, and all I have is a kitchen knife.

18. Pat G. says:

I started using sissors in the early 80s, first for green onions, and now more often for breaking down green leafy salads into smaller bites. I introduced sissors, because I had a tiny kitchen in Brooklyn Heights and felt using a cutting board added one more thing to wash. I do love my Benriner mandolin which I use when I have a flat of strawberries and want to remove the tops quickly or make nice thin sheets of root veggies. I love my kimpira that makes match sticks out of firm veggies and fruit for rolls. I have a very cool Chinese knife with a slit in it that peels and lets me make thin sheets of apple to add to my salads, and I love my gigantic spiralizer, which my roommate uses way more that I. I do own a set of Henckels 5 star knives that I can’t live without, and I have 2 great serrated skinning knives that bend and easly remove pineapple from it’s rough outside with little effort and waste. Can’t…ummm…won’t live without these!

19. Maia says:

I love my old fashioned wooden bowl and chopper. It makes a salad almost velvety or creamy! (My chopped salads are much more chopped than Annmarie’s.) Takes a bowl of veggies to a new level. And I get a mini arm workout too.

20. Celena says:

My favorite is dulse. I like to eat it right out of the bag. My favorite kitchen gadget is my mandolin. I think I have used it everyday for the past 15years. It gives just the right texture to your veggies for sandwiches (green wraps) and is great for julienne carrots, zucchini, cucumber, onion etc..in nori rolls. The flavor of food changes in your mouth when you change the texture.
    Thanks for inspiring me everyday. You two are addicting to watch. I look forward the the show, everyday.

21. Margaret says:

I love using a knife and dulse is my favorite seaweed.

22. James says:

Just had my knives sharpened and what a difference

23. Gabriela says:

¡Hola!
    I prefer chopping with a knife as well, it is not nice having to wash all those gadgets! 🙂

I have a question: Do you guys know why are so many women getting ovarian cysts or problems nowadays?? I’ve heard of so many women who have that kind of problems, so I was wondering what is it that is causing them to have them, and what can I do to prevent them 🙂

¡Muchas gracias!
    Paz y Amor

24. Nicole says:

Kevin, do you have a robot that chops? Will you be carrying them in the RHstore?;-) haha

I like to use a knife, but eventually would like to have a food processor, too.

Fave seaweed: dulse

25. My kitchen gadgets include the VM, FP, sharp knife, and hand noodle grater. I don’t include seaweed in my diet but a few times a month and that seems to be best for me… dulse and nori are my favorite.

26. Dawni says:

Hi All…

Thanks for that simple, yet beautiful salad. I love all seaweed. The varieties suit my many moods.

I like working with a knife and have found scissors to be perfect for nipping away at parsley, cilantro and the like. I like the idea of using scissors for dulce.

I tend to grab my favorite long boning knife. I have looked high and low for the exact knife and haven’t been able to find one. The day I do I will buy several.

Dawni

27. Charlotte says:

Sheryl we really don’t need your preaching, thanks.
    Usually I just use a big kitchen knife but to chop salads i like to use good kitchen sheers! If I want to grate something I use my box grater. I also occasionally use a mandolin. Oh and my micro-plane does a great job grating ginger or zesting! I eat dulse the most often but my favorite seaweed is the one they make salads with in sushi restuarants. it’s thin, light green, and is almost crunchy! It’s so good 🙂

28. Tabitha says:

LOL! I love the God smiting for seaweed eating talk! Pretty funny…I’m pretty sure that he’s a bit behind on the smiting considering the folks at BP are still around, so I think if you’re to be on the list for eating seaweed, it’ll be a few decades, at least! For chopping, I use knives and the food processor, and I LOVE Nori 🙂 I could eat it all day, and the best part is that my kids (ages 2, 4, and 6) enjoy it too! Thanks, Kevin and Annmarie for your fabulous presence and this great recipe… never thought to throw dulse in a salad!

29. John says:

dulse=god in seaweed from
    i luuuuv my food processor, no crazy gadgets for me! unless i have company and need to whip up something fast that is

30. Jan says:

Dulse is the only sea vegetable I have tried. I use it in soups made in a blender. New idea for me to try it in a salad.

I keep things as simple as possible in the kitchen. I like knives and my apple corer/slicer, the kind you push down over the apple. As a gift I received an expensive apple peeler that I never use. It takes more time to set it up than to use the simple one.

31. dragontea says:

All colors of the seaweed family are great!!
    I use a grater all the time for cole slaws. Cabbage, jucama, carrot, radish, celery seed. A little grape seed oil & vinegar, or whatever dressing you prefer. yum!

32. Kiyoshi says:

I have a really good set of knives that I use often for chopping. I also use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut off the stems of things like parsley, cilantro or basil. I also use my peelers for cucumbers, zucchini and small squash.

33. John says:

I’m partial to the knife, I was a professional chef for over 25 years, so used a chef knife daily. I got used to eating various types of seaweed while working with the Tlinget tribe in Alsaka. It wasn’t polite to refuse any food offered, though if you didn’t like it it was ok to spit it out. I did spit out a lot of really nasty things. These days I use mostly ground seaweed to flavor my rice or quinoa. Rev John

34. Erika says:

Have you guys checked out Ascended health’s Oralive tooth elixir? This stuff is amazing! It is filled with probiotics and you actually swallow this stuff, it’s amazing for you’re entire body.

People have fought off cavities, root canals, gum disease, helps remove heavy metals. Some people are even growing new teeth!

you two should carry this stuff, everyone I have turned onto this stuff has been overwhelmingly thankful.

35. Jacquie says:

Thanks to Annmarie’s video about knife skills, I LOVE my well-sharpened knife for kitchen work. I can now chop my tomatoes just like you, Annmarie! 🙂 As for my favorite seaweed, I LOVE spirulina; and, I believe that our bodies are our temples. God gave them to us and we should take the best care of them we possibly can. He also gave us this incredibly beautiful earth to live on and eat from. I don’t believe God plays games, and I don’t think he put healthy foods on this planet as a “booby trap” so if we ate it, we’re screwed and our bodies will pay. God is pure love and not evil, and none of his creations, including the oceans and what is in them, is evil. By eating a wonderfully healthful diet, including sea vegetables, my body is now healing itself of years of abuse from eating the SAD. I thank God for creating a body that will heal itself when I feed it well.

36. Judy says:

For chopping, I like a ceramic knife

37. Sheryl says:

Add. Comment: Mushrooms are a fungus not food and algaes – which that is what sea plants are do not belong in our bodies.

38. thanks kevin and annemarie

i love using my kyocera ceramic knives (small paring and larger vegetable) because you do not get the metallic taste on the food and also no oxidation of things like avocado (since i do not eat much fat, i usually only use a small part of it)

i love dulse, too and sometimes don’t soak it if i want a saltier flavor and i also love laver, which is a wild nori and maine coast does sell that, so try it out and i like it better unsoaked and chew on it like people do with beef jerky, i call it laver jerky….it is great for traveling when you need some extra minerals and maine coast uses low temperature drying for all their seaweeds that you find in the bags at your health food store

check out my blog with a 42 day coconut water cleanse journal and other health related topics…i have not had time to post lately, but there is enough info for you to check out…the cleanse starts in december 2009, so click on the archive to start from the beginning… http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com

namaste
    chef mindy aka ageless raw beauty

39. Vaughn Michael says:

I haven’t tried the recipe yet but it looks great and will asap. Regarding Dulse, I didn’t realize how fortunate we were here in New Brunswick where it is readily available at a low price, I suppose because it’s harvested down the road here at Grand Manan.

40. Thomas says:

Dulse, definitely. I’ve bought dulse online by the pound for several years, and eat it daily by the handful.

I too prefer a knife for cutting, slicing & peeling. Greens I just tear up with my hands. 🙂

41. Mar Raw says:

Hi guys,

I’m using knives or a scissor, a blender, a juicer, a food-processor and a molcajete.
    Saludos, Marcel

42. Peg says:

I have to wonder if God did not intend for humans to live by the sea?! Wherever we live, we have to find food. Sea vegetables are definitely ok and nutritious.

43. Dulse & Wakame mmmm.

And we love to keep it simple. Henckels 5 star knife (Thanks Mom!) and a bamboo cutting board. No gadgets. But the food proc is a MUST. I went with out for a few months when we moved and realized its importance. The textures are just different and its soooo fast. 3 pulses and my whole onion chopped perfectly. 🙂

BTW. We found a LUXURY Wolfgang Food Processor (THE BEST we have ever used) at garage sale for $40 bux. Its a $260 processor. The thing was practically brand new, the lady couldnt have used it more than 2 times! There are great deals out there, ya just gotta look!

Thanks for a great recipe and show.

Love,
    C&S

44. Caroline says:

That’s a tiny salad!

45. Favorite cutting gadget: My incredibly strong teeth!

Favorite sea vegetables: Dulse, Laver, Arame, Nori….I like to eat at least one serving of sea veggies a day! 🙂

46. Tracy says:

I have all the gadgets….but mostly use a knife and cutting board for the same reason..easy cleanup.

I would love to see how you chop your tomatos so small like that. For the life of me…I just have never been able to do that. They are perfect for salsas.

Thanks for making all the videos. They really help me to eat better and live better.

47. Terry says:

My favorite sea veggies grow near where I live in Mendocino. I LOVE sweet kombu, either fresh out of the ocean or sun dried and used as a crunchy chip!

I also love silky sea palm. This is the juvenile sea palm plant and only grows on the west coast of the North American Continent. It dries to a little pretzel type seaweed and is delicious in all raw recipes.
    I also love WILD nori, not the processed sheet stuff. When it is processed, even raw, the trace minerals are rinsed off and you are only left with the non-soluable fiber of the sea veggie.
    If you would like to know more about seaweeds or order them directly in bulk or by the bag from me (a raw, vegan, wild seaweed harvester), contact me at ohveggies@pacific.net or visit my website http://www.ohsv.net

Hopefully, if you are living in the US, you are ordering seaweeds either from the east coast or west coast. It is important to know where your seaweed comes from these days of pollution and toxins in the ocean…..

Be well,
    Terry d’Selkie
    seaweed mermaid

48. Helga says:

I’ve got most gadgets, and enjoy the spiralizer and sometimes the mandoline, but I have two beautiful knives (one really big one and a small one) and a pair of sharp scissors …. and those 3 I enjoy MOST 🙂
    I’ve become very skilled cutting really FAST with the scissors, and it’s major fun 🙂
    Favourite sea-vegies: Alaskan dulse (I buy it here in Australia from a direct importer in 2-kilo-bags, whole dulse and dulse flakes)… and raw nori (beware of the toasted variety)…. and all kinds of shredded kelp (mostly laminaria japonica) for raw noodles. I eat dulse quite frequently just as-is … raw, salty, crunchy, un-soaked ….. hmmmmmmmm ……

49. Helga says:

I’ve actually first read all the comments and replied (see above) 😉 … and then watched the video …. and I want to add: thanx to Annmarie … I NOW want a PURPLE pair of scissors !!! 🙂
    And also, yes, I would not know what to do without my food-processor 🙂 …..(actually, I DO know, I’d use my mortar and pestle … but you know what I mean about the convenience :-))

50. Gwen says:

Most of the time I use knife for chopping but if I have a lot of chopping to do at one time I like to use my mandolin to speed up the process. My favorite sea weed is absolutely dulse which I can eat like popcorn and I buy it in 5 pound bags for Maine Coast Sea Vegetables. I will have to try soaking it and dehydrating it to lower the salt content.

51. Susie says:

QUESTION:
    When you soak sea veggies, do you lose minerals in the soaking water?

52. K Thompson says:

Enjoyed the recipe & commentary. But the camera shows only above the counter level. I cannot see much of the mixing or ingredients. I especially tuned in to see the preparation of the dulse, and chopping, but the camera lingers on faces and high above counter, so can’t see it very well.