Low Fat Raw Food Recipe for The Mellow Fellow Green Smoothie – The Renegade Health Show Episode #537

Wednesday Mar 31 | BY |

Today, we’re going to take you through another raw food recipe from The Raw Food Challenge…

It’s going to be fun, because we both were completely out of our minds today.

I also answer some questions that everyone’s been asking.

Your question of the day: (Be Creative!) What can I use to get that blackberry out of the Vitamix handle?

Join us for the Raw Food Challenge! Click here… http://www.renegadehealth.com/rfc

Here’s the low fat raw food recipe for ya…

Mellow Fellow

1/2 watermelon (fruit and seeds)
1 head Romaine lettuce
1 cup cherries
1 lime
1/4 cup pre-soaked flax seed

Process:
Blend watermelon first then add all other ingredients. Drink half and save the other half for lunch.

1. Dr. Flora says:

Cool, except for the lime. That decalcifies. Lime and other citrus (including tomatoes) are inflammatory fruits that will also, after 10 minutes, dissolve the lining in your GI tract. Leave out the lime and it will be wonderful. Read the book Foods that Heal by Annmarie Colbin for more information on other foods that decalcify.

2. Rhonda says:

When are you going to change the music ? I have to turn the volume
    down each time….I knowwwww you can find some cooler music that
    does not make one cringe…..otherwise you have a lovely show and you are both adorable…..

3. crow says:

You can use twisters.

4. Barbara says:

I suggest you use GRAVITY to get your berry out…

Here are the complete instructions:
    1. Drink your smoothie
    2. Flip the container upside down
    3. Watch gravity do the work for you

Have a great day!
    /Barbara

5. Eva says:

Watermelon nd cherries in March?????

6. tahnee says:

Kevin, I love your show and the info and recipes you share with us. You guy are crazy and fun. I do like and think the musice is grate and it makes it your signetur show. Keep the info coming.

Take care Tahnee

7. Dawni says:

Lots of levity today. How funny that you ‘scrunch’ down when making the videos, Kevin.

How about blowing that cherry out of the handle…

Dawni

8. To get the bb out of the handle try a pipe cleaner and keep jabbing at it till it screams “I give I give!” and falls out. LOL!

9. Diana says:

I am part of the raw food challenge. I agree with above comment – Where would I get cherries? At this time of year – or organic ones would be so expensive and where even from?
    I looked at smoothie recipes in challenge and OMG! what a lot of food in 1 smoothie (or 2 if you eat the other for lunch) Too much for me for sure. I cannot eat bananas.
    Also – I don’t like drinking my meals. I always have green smoothie in morning and one before dinner but for breakfast I like to eat my fruit. Lunch I like to chew and eat something. If I had the smoothies I would still much on other food because I don’t feel like I have eaten unless I actually eat something. I am not talking about using a spoon in smoothie either. That is just me.
    Thanks for funny video – you guys do have fun together!

10. Joel Saenz says:

Looks like you’re in a real jam. I’m no cherry expert but I suggest first off you Don’t Panic. Here’s what to do:

Fill the handle with a sugar water, add either yeast or kefir starter and seal the top. The yeast will turn the sugar into alcohol and c02. The pressure will blow the cherry out of the bottom of the handle so make sure you have a glass underneath. Then add some bitters and enjoy your “Old Fashion.”

11. Katie says:

The force Kevin!!! Use the force!!

12. Melissa says:

I agree with the lack of availability of certain fruits at this time of year. I live in a small rural area and cannot find the watermelon or the cherries. Thanks so much for the show and am looking foward to doing the Raw Food Challange! You two are great!

13. naomi says:

hey joel you win love your answer! ps the cat on the kitchen bench is pretty yukky guys….

14. Michael T. says:

That show was really funny, thank you both.

Kevin, you look kind of dangerous in the kitchen, out of control.

Obviously, drink the smoothie, then turn the container upside down in the sink, and pour water through the handle if necessary. Or, sit there and play with the berry for an hour.

I agree with the previous post about watermelon and cherries not being in season this time of year. Of course, being early spring, there is not much fruit that is in season in the northern hemisphere. But do you really want people to buy fruit from South America?

During the off-season, I tend to buy more frozen fruit. You can get organic frozen blueberries from Costco.

I heat up the frozen fruit on the stove with some water, just long enough to thaw it out, then it blends up easily.

I appreciate your entertaining way of getting your message across.

Michael T.

15. Jacqueline says:

You guys are HILARIOUS!

Hmm, how to get the berry out… try suction perhaps, or banging super hard on the RV steps with the thing upside down, or perhaps start shoving uncooked spiral spiral noodles into it until it just shoves out the other side, but then since you are raw fooders you wouldn’t have uncooked pasta noodles, what a quandary….

The music is great, don’t listen, you were right it was the volume that was the problem, since you turned it down its great!

16. Johann says:

Just keep jabing it with a toothpick. If that does not work, squirt in some food grade hydrogen peroxide to deteriorate it. Good Luck.

17. Satori says:

Just stick a piece of raw meat into the handle and let J5 figure out. He’ll do it..if he’s hungry…lol

18. Mumdy says:

Hi Kevin and Annemarie. Great show. Could you please comment on the post by Dr Flora. He made a very interesting statement about the lime not being a good idea. Thank you.

19. Geri says:

I like the music! I like Johnny 5! I also like to drink lemon water in the morning but someone else posted that it eats the lining of your stomach? Is this true? I always thought Lemons and limes were alkaline (is that spelled right?)once you drink them.

20. Sandi Seegert says:

How about tipping the vitamix upside down?!!?? Or I like the other comment suggesting that you stick something else in there that Johnny5 will want and he’ll get the blackberry out. Don’t know,Kev. But you and Ann Marie are so doggone cute and seem like my best friends in the morning. I really enjoy seeing you guys. Thanks!

21. Janet says:

A monkey! ha ha ha

22. Nicole says:

You guys are so cute n crazy:-)

Great video, and thanks for mentioning at the beginning that people can sub dif fruits in your recipes, since some people are worried about not getting watermelon and cherries right now—maybe they can use frozen berries and some banana? Or apples and blueberries? Mangoes are just creeping into season here right now so I bought one—can’t wait to eat it!

23. Monica says:

I empathise with the little fruit in there… she knows that if she comes out she will suffer just what her mates have been through. So I would calm her and promise her a happy life surrounded by other happy fruits… at least until the next meal 😉

24. Stephanie says:

When we get fruit or greens stuck in our glass smoothie straws, we save and use the large twist ties that say “ORGANIC” that are wrapped around our lettuces and greens, and jab them out with that. It works! And we don’t have to buy any other crazy stuff. Reduce, reuse, recycle, etcetera….

25. May says:

Awesome video – such fun and, as always, you two are so beautiful together. You’ll have to get Anne Marie a little step to stand on like my granddaughter has to reach the basin! 🙂

Yes, please comment on the Dr Flora lime statement. My naturopath told me to drink lime juice in water each day.

And to get that fruit out of the handle, I suggest either the handle of a wooden spoon or a blow torch and vaporise the little pesky thing 😉

26. lovely.psycho says:

Ok, to get the blackberry out, you create a desirable plot of real estate and start drumming up interest. You implement a First Home Owner’s Grant scheme, basically a one-off lump sum payment to first home owners (providing they satisfy the eligibility criteria) to make it easier and more enticing for the little blackberry to actually move. You build affordable, trendy, cookie-cutter style housing… and you sit back and wait for the blackberry to take full advantage of the situation and move out on his or her own. Problem solved 🙂

27. Robin says:

Question: Do you grind the flax seeds before you soak them? I started the raw food challenge and I ground them but I wasn’t sure if that was right.

28. Lauren says:

Put some chlorella in the handle and tell Johnny to go after it, hopefully he’ll be able to get the berry out in his zest for the chlorella!!!!!!

29. Rhonda D says:

How about using a hose with water pressure to get it out of the handle.

30. Connie says:

You guys are hilarious…ALL of you, not just Kevin and AnnMarie! I love being part of this blog group! Kevin, you had me worried there–I thought you had dropped your ELECTRONIC BLACKBERRY (aka phone) in there, and was wondering why you didn’t get it out before proceeding with your blending! (Obviously, I wasn’t watching as carefully as I ought to…)

Talking abour resetting the computer, has anyone told you (or is it just happening to me) that the first time I click on your link in the e-mail I get sent to a “sorry this link doesn’t work” page, but when I go back to the e-mail and click the link again–all is well. Very strange. This has been happening regularly for the past month or so…

Once again, thanks for the edutainment!

Connie

31. Karen says:

You two are sooooo cute! I have a big smile on my face now. And don’t pay any attention to the critics. You’re the best!

32. Sarah says:

Use the handle like a blowdart. Just be careful and don’t aim at AnnMarie or Johnny 5. Love your shows and all the fantastic information you share. Keep up the great work!

Namaste

33. Nadia says:

I wanted to address what you said about nursing mothers. If the nursing mother is already on a very healthy, mostly raw diet then what you said is good advice. BUT if the nursing mother doesn’t already have a mostly raw diet then while she is nursing is not the time to do this raw food challenge. This reason is because a raw food diet is very cleansing to the body and while a mother is nursing is not the time to do a cleanse. Cleansing will allow the body to release toxins and a nursing mother will release toxins into the milk which is not good for the baby.
    with love,
    Nadia

34. Renee says:

You two are fun! It’s infectious! Keep adding that yummy fun ingredient to your smoothies.

35. Joe S says:

Hmm…this is a little involved, but it’ll do the trick. Start by cutting a small hole in the roof of the RV about 1/4 of the way back from the front – just a bit larger than the hole at the top of the handle.

No one else wanted to say it, but these berries have rendered the blender completely useless, I’m sorry…So for this next part you need to draw on your own potato-gun-making skills. I’m sure you’ve done it, and I don’t want to be responsible for anyone ELSE making any RV modifications.

Simply attach your VitaCanon to the hole in the roof with your favorite adhesive, and preferably motoring down the highway, light that baby up and BAM! With a berry blast, your problem is solved, and the Kale Whale finally has a blowhole!

You guys rock, great show as always!

36. Cindy says:

I have a question about it too… I am dealing with infection and trying to stay away from fruit, can I still do the challenge? Does it contain alot of fruit. And if so are there replacement for the fruit? Thnx!!!!!! 😀

37. Veronika says:

Yes, please respond about the lime/citrus comment that it hurts the lining of the stomach and decalcifies. Thanks!

38. Greg says:

Turn it upside down and hit it on a folded towel to lessen the impact on the plastic.

39. Brigitte says:

Try using a wooden skewer to get it out – they are skinny, long, and have sharp ends!

40. Angela says:

You guys really seem like extremely nice and happy people. I enjoy the energy coming from your videos : ) Maybe turn the blender up-side-down and use a chopstick to poke it through on the other side. Thanks for the info.

41. Sue says:

Very fun episode!! Your music is great, but I’m glad you toned down the volume a little.
    J5 would be welcome on my countertops anytime. Can’t think of my own berry removal solution, but I like Joel and Katie’s (#10 & #11) suggestions. Have a great day.

42. Britt says:

You have the most vocal cat I have ever heard. Geez, Johnny 5! 🙂 Sometimes it seems like he is actually trying to talk.

43. LeAnn says:

Kevin,

Can you talk about pH. Everyone focuses on over acid but being too alkaline is just as dangerous. It seems like most of the raw foods are alkaline so this can be a challenge. Thanks, LeAnn

44. Kat says:

Barbara, you beat me to it – I was going to suggest GRAVITY too. 🙂

Great show today, guys! What I want to know is…what kind of smoothie or treat did you guys have before you filmed the show? Haha!

Question: I’ve always heard melons should be consumed by themselves instead of with other fruit – does that not apply when you blend them with greens and other fruit?

45. Cherie says:

Use a vaccuum for the blackberry! I drink warm fresh lemon water each morning. It gets my system going. If I forget then my system is a little sluggish.

46. Cherie says:

Add a few ants to the blackberry and use an ant eater.

47. john says:

A darling presentation with a touch of that Gianni class.

48. Donna Long says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,
    Hey I think you should leave that Blackberry right there in the handle…You will have the most unique machine on the planet!

I mean who else do you know who’s able to make a phone call on their Vitamix! But getting to that teeny weeny keyboard may make text messaging a little difficult!

Just joshin’ ya…April Fool! VBG!
    TTYL,
    Donna Long

49. Tiff says:

Hey I just want to clarify that for nursing moms like me—after a certain point we don’t have to eat any extra calories per day…my child is 3 1/2 and I haven’t had to eat extra calories for a long while now. That’s just for the first year or two. Thanks

50. Jenni says:

I’m sure you already got that berry out. I just wanted to say how much I love to see Johnny 5 on the show. When I hear him meow I start looking for him to hop up in the background. 🙂

51. jackie says:

I love you and the bloggers on your show! Don’t think I’ve ever laughed so much at a blog. Such clever bloggers we have 🙂 Anyway, to solve your problem, just take a bamboo or other skewer and stick it down in the handle to spear the blackberry and pull it out. You may have to turn the vitamix upside down to help it along. This solution may not cause you to laugh, but it should work.

52. Marie says:

OK! Nursing mothers will not “detox” in to breastmilk if they start the raw foods or take the raw food challenge. It’s always a perfect time to eat some raw foods. Are you kidding me Nadia? Don’t start eating healthy raw food smoothies because you might get toxins into your breastmilk? Studies in Japan prove that Chorella decreases the amount of toxins excreted in breastmilk. Better check your facts and look at the big picture.
    Summary# 45302

Topic: Chlorella Supplementation May Decrease Dioxin Levels and Increase IgA Levels in Breast Milk

Keywords: PREGNANCY, NURSING, BREAST MILK – Chlorella Pyrenoidosa, Chlorella Tablet, IgA, Immunoglobulin A, Dioxin

Reference: “Chlorella (Chlorella pyrenoidosa) Supplementation Decreases Dioxin and Increases Immunoglobulin A Concentrations in Breast Milk,” Nakano S, Nakano M, et al, J Med Food; 2007; 10(1): 134-42. (Address: Saiseikai Nara Hospital, Nara, Hokkaido, Japan. E-Mail: fukushim@obihiro.ac.jp ).

Summary: In a controlled study involving 35 women, results suggest that maternal supplementation with Chlorella pyrenoidosa (Chlorella) may reduce dioxin levels in breast milk and increase IgA levels (immunoglobulin A). The women received Chlorella tablets (n=1Cool or no Chlorella tablets (n=17) during pregnancy. Toxic equivalents were found to be significantly lower in breast milk of women in the Chlorella supplemented group, compared to women in the control group. Additionally, IgA concentrations in breast milk were significantly higher in the Chlorella group, compared to the control group. Thus, the authors of this study conclude, “The present results suggest that Chlorella supplementation not only reduces dioxin levels in breast milk, but may also have beneficial effects on nursing infants by increasing IgA levels in breast milk.”

53. Patricia J Allen says:

Any suggestions for diabetic diet that needs to omit fruit? Patricia Allen

54. Melissa says:

ummm…I’m pretty sure you have the money for a microphone…..

55. Jacquie says:

You guys are too funny! Yum, I can’t wait ’til summer and cherries and watermelon are in season. I LOVE the Wednesday shows and the recipes. Thanks for including the recipe this week. Could you please post the one for the tomato soup, too? So sorry to hear about the theft of your stuff….very sad; but, your mic works great ’cause we could hear Johnny 5 just wanting some kitty lovin’ and snugglin’. You’ve got enough suggestions above for your removal situation; so, I’ll just say blessings and hugs to you three!

56. Bill Murphy says:

Use a skewer…Too easy!

Either that or you could get an old metal coat hanger and unwind it and poke that through. 🙂

Your blender handle is completely different to the ones that we get here in Australia. I have never seen one like that before?

57. Satori says:

I tried this recipe today and it’s delicious!! It might be too sweet for me though. I’ve never made a green smoothie this sweet. So I don’t know if it is too much sugar for me or not.

Plus, I finished the whole thing just for the breakfast. Am I drinking too much? Half the smoothie was way too less though…

58. Jane says:

How about a teeny tiny plumber with a teeny tiny plunger? 😉

59. Irene says:

Use a kabob stick to het the cherry out.

60. Robin says:

Never change the music–it’s your signature, and it’s great!!!

61. alex says:

I think it is dangerous to advise pregnant women to eat raw food while pregnant. Please tell me where you got this information from.
    Traditionally if pregnant women ate raw food while pregnant it would have been raw animal food.
    I only hope that you see what is wrong with what you are saying soon.

62. Christy says:

I’m sure you’ve gotten it out by now, but maybe you could try this for your next fruit faux pas. Crush up a Mento, put it in the handle, and fill it with diet coke. It’ll blow right out of there, no problem! See, the dangerous chemicals in diet soda and candy are good for something after all. Have a great day guys~love your shows!

63. Wendy says:

Sorry, but I have to chime in… how can it be dangerous for pregnant or nursing women to eat raw food. Even the government agrees that fresh fruit and veggies are good for pregnant women. I hesitate to speculate, but I can see how 100% juicing or 100% raw (without some amino acids) might be dangerous; but not eating whole fresh fruits and veggies. I did see a video about a 100% raw woman who decided to eat a very small amount of organic chicken (cooked, I’m sure) to insure that the child she was carrying got the necessary nutrients it needed to grow, etc. I think the key is to be as well balanced as possible and to eat enough for both the Mom and Baby. If we eat fruit, nuts, seeds, sprouts, and veggies–that’s pretty balanced. A pregnant or nursing mom will also be on pre-natal supplements.

I don’t even want to think about the SAD diet I engaged in while pregnant with all three of my girls. That was worse than anything else I could have done. I would opt for becoming raw (the healthy, balanced way) over eating the junk I took in.

I do agree that participating in a challenge like this might not be the best idea when pregnant–unless you are willing to adjust to the needs of you and your child–which may not adhere 100% to the challenge. It’s all about health and balance and your own choices. 🙂

64. Susie says:

Stick a straw down the handle, connect with the blackberry and SUCK!!!

65. Wendy says:

Oh! And I would be very interested in hearing your opinion about the lemon/lime issue as well. I have been putting lemon into everything I make. I don’t seem to be having any side effects or problems. No stomach issues, etc. However, I usually put greens in everything I make too (smoothies, salads, etc.) That could be counteracting any adversities. But I’d sure like to know if it could be interfering with benefits I would be getting from the other foods. I don’t want that.

I know that Dr. Anne Wigmore was against eating citric like oranges. But I never really understood why. I make strawberry, orange, spinach smoothies often.

hmmm…

66. Marianne says:

Hi Kevin, Next time use a knitting needle or skewer & push it back up.

67. Beth says:

Use chopsticks! Or chopstick! Lol! Good looking smoothie!

68. Marianne says:

I have a few questions about the Mellow Fellow Smoothie. The watermelon, do you cut off the rind & white part or leave them on? Are the cherries pitted? Is it the whole lime, skin,pits & all? On the pre-soaked flax seeds, how long do you soak them? Is the 1/4 cup measurment before or after they are soaked? I heard Annmarie say they double in size after soaking. Do the seeds disolve in the blender or are they still whole? Thanks for your help. Marianne

69. nick says:

Chop stick

70. Sharon says:

The watermelon in the demonstration looked seedless. I thought that it is a no no to eat a seedless fruit.

71. PE says:

Take a deep deep breath and blow it/them out.
    #1, I know doctors learn little about nutrition, but tomato isn’t a citrus, not even the same family or order. Whether citrus harms the upper GI tract, don’t know, doubt it.
    Don’t know about decalcifying, but to be contrarian David Wolfe who fears calcium would then say eat lotsa citrus. A recent study showed very positive effects of extra calcium (duh), so believe it or not.

72. Ella Jane says:

the handle to a wooden spoon, or rubber spatula