Raw Food Recipe for Delicious Hazelnut Candies – The Renegade Health Show Episode #522

Wednesday Mar 10 | BY |

We’re headed off to Anaheim today to get ready for the Expo West…

Today, Annmarie wanted to make some treats for the girls in the office.

This raw food recipe for Hazelnut candies is from Solla! (An incredible raw food chef from Iceland)

Your question of the day: What is your favorite sweetener?

If you need to stock up on Lucuma powder, click here: www.renegadehealth.com/lucuma

Here’s the raw food dessert recipe…

Hazelnut Candies

1 cup hazelnuts, soaked for 20 mins
2 tbsp coconut water, or just filtered water
2 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp lucuma powder
1/2 tsp stevia powder
1/4 tsp vanilla powder
1/2 cup coconut, shredded

Put all in the food processor except for the shredded coconut. Process until well combined. Roll into balls and coat with shredded coconut. Enjoy 🙂

1. Melissa says:

My favorite sweetener is fruit! 🙂

2. thubten says:

Wow! Those look so tasty!

3. nick says:

For taste Honey made from bees which pollinate cloves or agave with vanilla But I usually use Stevia because it is the healthiest sweetner that I know of.

4. nick says:

oh I forgot about raisons

5. Adriana says:

….mine is stevia, honey and of course sweet ripped fruits..

Thanks for sharing this great recipe. I would like to try it soon.

6. Ineke says:

That looks delicious and I will try them. Too bad that I can’t give that as a snack for my daughter at school since so many kids have nut allergies. My favorite sweetener: Lets see… lately I hardly use sweeteners except for stevia and some fruit but I always have a bottle of organic maple syrup in my fridge. Great on pancakes and a little bit on Bircher-Brenner muesli tastes great as well when I feel like it. I tossed out the agave. I think I would like to find out more about Lucuma powder.

7. Tatiana says:

I am sure you are already aware of this, but maybe you could do a show on sweeteners and some of the dangers. ASPARTAME has changed it’s name to AMINOSWEET and has been re-branded as a natural sweetener. Of course, it sounds good, all sweet and full of amino acids? Or something like that… but it’s the same old poison that eats holes in the brain and causes cancer.

Please help people become aware of this change.

8. hi kevin and annemarie

stevia, also fruit
    sometimes dates

see u in anaheim

chef mindy aka ageless raw beauty

9. john says:

Tahiti coconut juice (raw) with figs and dry dates,pistachios,cashews unsalted and persimmons.Makes my day sweeter.

10. Judith says:

Stevia is the safest for not affecting my reactive hypoglycemia.

Thanks for this delicious looking dessert. I am eager to try it. I love you folks!

11. Carole Cole says:

Where’s the cat, Johnny???

12. Juliet says:

I never have had a ‘sweet tooth’ but on that rare ocassion I have made a raw cocoa bar using Matt Amsden ‘RAW voulution book. It was sweetened with agave nectar and really a bit too rich for me. I was only able to eat a small inch square at a time. I agree that the transitional foods are helpful to going raw. I am juicing and actually sipping on my juice as I type. I used a few small beets to sweeten it and the rest are greens. I am juicing once a day for now and am surprised how addicting it is. I also add one fresh coconut water to it.

As for sweeteners; I used to use the white stevia, but am getting away from that. As Kevin mentions, I also am not interested in processed white things. I just have my tea plain.

So. I guess my favorite sweetener are fruits when I have them in my green juices. Papayas, Mangoes,Pineapple,Kiwi,Apple,Pear,Bannana, Coconut.

NIce to see Ann Marie again!

Thanks for another great show.

J~

13. MICHELLE says:

I LIKE RAW,ORGANIC AGAVE!!

14. Dawn says:

Hey Keven and Annmarie,
    I have a question unrelated to this post, but thought I would ask. This topic is slightly embarrassing but I know you have done a post before addressing constipation, but I had a question more in depth. What do you recommend eating/taking/drinking to make elimination more frequent. I am 100% raw and already consume high soluble fiber foods, warm water with lemon in the morning, I get plenty of greens, nuts and seeds, no dehydrated foods, I eat Chia seeds daily, raw fruits, and drink almost a gallon of water per day + exercise. I feel like I am doing all I can!

What can I do more than this to achieve a normal elimination cycle? Any sources of insoluble fiber that you recommend to add bulk?
    Thank you so much!

Dawn

15. Dawni says:

Hi Guys and Dolls,

I am enjoying Mesquite these days. I hope to give lucumba Powder a run soon.

Dawni

16. Sharon says:

Maple syrup is my favorite treat. It may not be raw but it’s tasty and has minerals. On the rare occasions I make chocolate I use agave since it’s the only thing that I’ve used that creates a good texture. I don’t like stevia. I buy local organic honey too. The darkest I can get which is delicious. Fresh fruit is always the best though!

17. Cathy says:

Hey, you forgot the cinnamon in the ingredients… see your recipe! Thanks!

18. Spring says:

Dawn,
    You need Magnesium ( Pure essence labs, Ionic-Fizz) is good.
    How much cinnamon did you use?
    They sound good, will give them a try!
    Stevia is the sweetener I choose.

19. Jill says:

Hmm…mine are honey. maple syrup, sugar, raisins, dried/fresh fruit…I will watch the video later! 🙂

20. Marie1225 says:

Hi Guys!

I really like raw, unfiltered honey. my kids of course perfer wildflower, but I try to buy gallberry due to the fact that it is darker. I love to sweeten with fruit, dates, and I do use organic grade B maple syrup. I haven’t used green stevia or lucuma powder. I’d like to try the lucuma powder for sure.

Thanks!

21. Elizabeth says:

Our favorite sweeteners are maple syrup and raw honey. Hey, do you know anything about how agave syrup is processed? I have read that it is processed the same as high fructose corn syrup. According to what I have read , many agave syrups are high fructose agave syrup. What do you know about this?

Elizabeth

22. Rhonda D says:

I use honey, dates, Lucuma to sweeten thing up.

23. Sophia says:

I actually grew stevia and tried a leaf- it tasted good!! I am excited to try out the stevia powder.

24. Veronika says:

My #1 choice is fresh fruit, but that doesn’t work in most “sweet-tooth” recipes, so I usually use dates.

However for flavor, it’s definitely a tie between raw honey and maple syrup. I like raw honey because it’s unprocessed, and it good when you need a mellower flavor (though it’s still distinct) – but what I love about maple syrup is that it adds the most AMAZING flavor that creates a synergy with the food. I haven’t figured out how to use a different sweetner and still get the wonderful bouquet of maple flavor. I rarely make candy-type food, but when I do I like to use maple syrup.

I very much DISLIKE agave. Gives me the jitters, doesn’t taste good, and it doesn’t add anything special to the recipe.

I haven’t bought a dry raw sweetner before, but I think I’ll try lacuma powder if I end up needing it in a recipe. For these hazelnut balls, I think dates are a good alternative instead of lacuma + water.

25. Elaine says:

I use different ones for different things, the usual ones, raw honey (especially the AZ pecan), agave, dates, fruit and sometimes one or two drops of liquid stevia, but the longer I am raw the more I don’t need extra sweeteners. I don’t use the lacuma or vanilla powders since I can’t find them at the store, don’t like to order things online.

26. jackie says:

Hey Dawn,
    Try psyllium husks. Dr. Mercola recommends and sells the Organic India brand (www.mercola.com). Also, my chiropractor recomments Ultimate Fiber…you can get it in tablet or powder form from Vitamin Shoppe and other places. They both work. Good luck.
    P.S. Loved the show today!!

27. Mary Ellen says:

may i ask why i don’t see any mention of lo han quo? isn’t that a good sweetener?

28. Willemina says:

Speaking of sweet things-Where is Johnny 5 ?

Bring that cool cat down to the EXPO !

29. RJ says:

Watermelon. Years ago it was sweeter than hell. Plain old watermelon…eaten with a big ol’ spoon. Real food is the best. Whatever happened to the old “Watermelon Seed Spitting” contests. Woe is me. The new hybrid seedless watermelons are spookier than a cemetery, with those “Casper Ghost-like” seeds that disolve with the touch of a spoon or the bite of a dentured tooth.
    I must say this…I just got done eating 1/2 box of Girl Scout cookies…I am feeling like Wendy the Witch!
    Maybe Girl Scouts could sell Heirloom Watermelon Seeds next year. I’ll buy those for sure…cuz I’m firing my Girl Scout denatured cookie salesperson next year.:)

30. Nicole says:

Hope you have a great time and do well with your skin care line!

Your recipe looks great, and thanks for recommending your favorite products, because the lucuma I tried tasted like faintly sweet dust, and the vanilla powder I have is okay but not like I’d hoped it would be.

Oooh, when you do a cooked food recipe could you do something with lentils, buckwheat, or quinoa? Other than cooking them and dumping them on top of a salad I don’t make much else with them:-)

31. Catherine says:

Hi Dawn,
    The best thing I’ve ever found for getting and staying regular is fermented vegetables. Try a small amount before every meal.
    I use the culture starter from BodyEcology – nothing else I’ve tried is as effective in maintaining a healthy digestive tract.
    Blessings

Ps. Wheat sprouts have a very sweet taste – I love to add them to my green smoothies; a little fresh fruit is nice too.

32. anasha Sol says:

hi Dawn
    fermented veggies yes very good, enzymes before eating as you may not be digesting the food easily, and a series of colon cleanses, or a colon cleanse with a product like ejuva, arise and shine or from blessed herbs, all this have helped me and i have now at least 3 or 4 bm per day, good luck.

33. Michelle says:

psyllium husks are amazing for keeping you regular but you MUST DRINK LOADS OF WATER with it and after. You need to take a couple of heaped teaspoons of the husks in a glassful of water.

34. Rene Oswald says:

Dawn,
    Try liquid Bentonite with 1-2 teaspoons of psyllium, mixed in 8 oz. of water or freshly squeezed juice. Start taking once a day and gradually build up to 3 times a day if necessary. This is a very gentle was to start your system working. Another more natural way is to grind an avocado seed in 2 cups of water, then proceed to add the ingredients for a green smoothie and enjoy. Avocado seeds contain both soluble and insoluble fiber and are very effective. Video # 7 at my site http://rawfoodrene.com is a demo for making a green smoothie, just add the avocado pit to the water first.
    Enjoy!

35. Rene Oswald says:

Great video Annmarie! Have fun at the Expo! Missing you both!

36. Rene Oswald says:

Liquid Bentonite is usually sold in health food stores under the name “Sonnes” and comes in a dark brown glass quart bottle.

37. heidi says:

Raw local honey!

38. Usha Sunrise says:

My favorite sweetener… well I used to love agave, but no longer take that stuff. Now I’ve switched to raw honey, Pretty darn good !

QUESTION for you, Kevin:

Your opinion, please, on the Raw Water debunked feud between Daniel Vitalis and Frederic Patenaude…?

Love your shows, as always, I love how you do not get into arguments in a angry, defensive way!

39. Mary Ann says:

Favorite sweetener??… stevia or raw honey

Also, I tried to order lucuma from your website and it is saying that it is out of stock. Do you know when you will be getting more in??

Thanks

40. Beth says:

My favourite sweetner is either Lucuma powder or dates.

Looks easy & delicious 🙂

41. Geneva says:

I like stevia best because it doen’t throw off my blood sugar. Also, when do you plan to get back to the people who submitted applications for the 30 day makeover?
    Thanks for the show.

42. vicki says:

agave nectar is my favorite sweetener & being in austin I can get it locally!

you don’t have to have three, the rule is actually that odd numbers of items look better than even numbers, no matter the quantity.
    201 would look better than 200 it’s some weird thing with the way we perceive groupings.

43. Jo says:

I love how annamarie presents her recipes! very sweet and positive energy! I wish everyone could behave that way, what a world it would be. thanks!

44. Sara says:

Off topic question about blood tests:

I went and got some blood tests done, as recommended.

I’ve been ill with Crohn’s disease for years – lately I’ve only been able to stomach white bread and saltines. All the while, I am losing a lot of hair and a lot of blood, etc.

Today I saw my doctor and he said I’m not deficient in iron or B12 or anything really – except for slightly deficient in Vitamin D.

Is this even possible???

Sara

45. Genevieve says:

Favourite sweetener? Why, my Sweetie, of course. Awwwwwwww…..

As well, raw honey, maple syrup, dates,powedered coconut, bananas, stevia that I grow and dry myself (easy to make into powder).

46. Kaye says:

My favorite sweeteners are: Dates, Bananas, Raw Honey, Maple Syrup, and Raw Agave!! Am wanting to try the Lucuma too!

47. Cherie says:

What can I use if I do not have a food processor.

You put in cinnamon and that is not in your list. You also said something right before the cinnamon and I could not understand what you said and I did not recognize it on the list. Cumon?

48. I know you’re not a fan of agave, Kevin, but it works a treat for me. Also love raisins, dates occasionally, but not too much, fruit…

49. Jodie says:

Ooohh, I would add in some chopped dried cherries to those 🙂

50. Agave Syrup! 🙂 Just kidding…

I like stevia, dates, or raw honey, in that order.

51. Bill Murphy says:

My favourite sweetener is usually dates, but more recently I have been getting into honey more as I have a friend who has bees and has been giving me lots of it for free. 🙂

The frugal in me then chooses free honey over paying for dates! 😀

52. Marilyn Zink says:

Hi Kevin/AnnMarie:

My favourite thing to use is cinnamon, though technically it’s not really a sweetener, but it smoothes out flavour.

In response to Dawn’s question about constipation, I would suggest a herbal cleanse may help, as that would detox the major elimination organs (liver, colon, kidneys).

She might also wish to try using Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) every day – flax seed, hemp seed, olive oil, etc.
    Drinking cholorphyll is also great for a gentle daily detox. Hope this helps!

53. Molly says:

My favorite sweetener is raw honey.

54. Margaret says:

I am also puzzled, like Cherie, as to what AnnMarie added before the cinnamon. Was it Cumin – in a very American accent? ( I’m Scottish! )
    As to my favourite sweeteners – probably dates , but I’m getting into stevia and lucuma

55. miss Amerika says:

Raw honey, no wait, dates, no wait, lucuma, no, mesquite. Oh it’s so hard to choose, I love them all.

56. Cecile says:

How come no one has ever mentioned brown rice syrup as a sweetener? I love it, plus dates, raisins, honey and fruit.

57. zyxomma says:

Raw mesquite powder, Yacon syrup, lucuma, dried dates or apricots! Dawn, try Oxy-Mag or liquid salt (1/2 tsp. salt in enough water to dissolve it).

Health and peace!

58. Kathy says:

Good morning, what do we do if we cannot get lucuma powder? We live in Africa and most of the American products used in the recipes are just not available here, substitutes will help greatly! Thank you!

59. Gwen says:

My favorite sweeteners are dates, lucuma powder, green stevia powder and alcohol free vanilla. I have not tried vanilla powder yet but would love to as I am sure it could easily become a favorite.