Holy Basil Chai Spiced Latte Tea – The Renegade Health Show Episode #517

Wednesday Mar 3 | BY |

We’re on the road and wanted to have something that would put us in that driving mood…

I’ve been experimenting with tulsi or holy basil for the last 7 months and am extremely impressed with its ability to reduce stress levels.

Today, we’re going to use holy basil as a base for our chai spiced tea latte and fresh coconut milk to sweeten it up!

Your question of the day: What is your favorite drink?

If you’d like to try holy basil (tulsi), please click here! (You can also find the vanilla and lucuma powders there was well.)

Here’s the Raw Food Recipe for ya…

Holy Basil Chai Spiced Latte Tea

For Tea:

1 cup water
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp holy basil or tulsi
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of Vanilla Powder
1-2 tsp lucuma powder

Add all ingredients and let simmer for 20 min (at least).

For Coconut Milk:

1 cup coconut water
1/2 cup coconut meat
2 Tbsp Raisins

Blend and strain through a nutmilk bag.

When the tea is done simmering, strain into a mug and add your coconut milk.

Enjoy!

1. Margaret says:

At the moment it’s South African Rooibos (Redbush)tea with cashew nut milk.It’s warming and comforting for these cold winter days in England. Is Rooibos OK for raw vegans?

2. Flavio says:

That’s sounds delicious. I must try it 🙂

I will have to try it with fresh leaves at some point.

See you in Frisco 😉

Peace out and keep Breathing.

You guys are great! Good job!

3. Andrew says:

I’m a yerba mate guy. I try to only drink it twice a week because it’s so darn stimulating. But I actually should make some right now.

4. Jo Smith says:

Soooo – the vanilla powder is so good, but you didn’t say what brand it was. (For those of you who get upset about brand names being mentioned, I just started eating raw food this week, so I need the brand name of EVERYTHING! LOL!) Thanks for the great video. My adrenals are toast so I’m hoping this tea will help even everything out. I don’t have a favorite drink yet since I just switched over to raw from the “everything prepared by someone else (usually fast food)” diet. I’m pretty much just drinking water.

5. Ineke says:

My favorite drink is still……capuccino, Italian style (a treat) but….I’m replacing it for similar drinks that you just made, chai tea. I particularly like the YOGi tea brand. Classic Indian spice is our favorite. We add nutmilk, ginger juice and a bit of stevia to it. I also notice that my day isn’t the best if I haven’t had my GREEN JUICE Hippocrates style. Kevin, I also see that Whole Foods carries Tulsi tea in a box. I guess it is not the same?

6. Karen says:

I like chamomile tea with a little raw honey and lime juice. Yum!

7. rebecca says:

my favorite is homemade almond milk with chai spices! Yummy and warming. Great for this time of year…..

8. andrew says:

put in it some sunshine in a glass cup – tastes wow

9. Sophia says:

This recipe is AWESOME! I have been drinking tusli tea lately and actually started growing tusli plants from seed. Your shows always are full of wonderful information!

10. Angela says:

I love chai lattes, but they don’t like me because of the caffeine. So I am looking forward to making this drink! My other favorite drink is one I make at home: Almond milk, couple dates, frozen banana, and 1 Tb of coconut butter. Sometimes I have raw cocoa powder and cocoa nibs. So yummy when I have a sweet tooth! : )

11. Teaboy says:

Amzazake; Cocunut, almond, or hazelnut are all really good drinks.

12. Karen says:

I just checked the website for Expo West and it says that regular, ordinary folks can’t attend. How can we see you guys?

13. Heyward says:

dude, you’ve been really funny lately.

Stop.

14. Thanks Kevin and Annemarie

I like coconut water, when it is fresh from the coconut.

Look forward to seeing you at Expo West and now you will have a booth there. Awesome!

The vanilla powder is from ultimate superfoods for the person who inquired

Namaste!

Chef Mindy aka Ageless Raw Beauty
    My blog: http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com – Read about my 42 day cleanse (From December 2009) and other posts.

15. Bev says:

Would like to know what brand of Vanilla Bean powder you like too….

You can grow your own Holy Basil plants from seed in one of those pots you showed us the other day. It is a sacred plant and will make your whole space sacred. OM Shanti, Peace.

Peace, Love and Harmony,
    Bev

16. Geri says:

I love lemon water, squeeze lemon into my glass water bottle and I am good to go!

17. Koa says:

Do you tow the car or the RV?

18. Rhonda says:

Hi guys, I wanted to go to the Expo West just did not make all the travel arrangements. I should have hitched a ride with you guys as you drove by.

My absolute favorite drink happens to be chai tea. I found a Rooibos one which is has no caffeine by Numi and Yogi. They have the Rooibos tea and some of the spices and then I add a nut milk and honey. YUM!! However, it does not have the holy basil in it so I will have to get that and add it too it. Delicious and relaxing tea.

Have a great time in California.

Love ~ Rhonda

19. Peg says:

My husband recently returned from a trip to India and one of the relatives sent many different kinds of tea. I was excited to see three Tulsi teas: Tulsi, Tulsi Ginger, and Tulsi Chai. I remember one trip where there was a large Tulsi plant near the front door and I loved picking a few leaves to chew on. We were encouraged to do so because among the numerous benefits, helping prevent malaria is one of them.

20. Franky G says:

Currently raw milk, vanilla, stevia, sea salt, and a touch of honey!! WOWZERS!

21. RJ says:

Wonderful,wonderful post!
    I can’t wait to try this Chai recipe! Spring water is my favorite drink, because it simply makes me feel hydrated with no side-effects. I do love my home brewed Kombucha, but a bottle of my first batch kept me awake all night (I used oolong tea) ;O …still trying to perfect a kombucha recipe that will be more calming for me.
    I have come to trust both of you and truly appreciate the fact that you share with us your personal results of the products you sell on your website and the products that you don’t sell on your website.
    Safe and Happy Travels to Kevin & Annmarie from ALL of us!!

22. JoAnne says:

I would love for you to try the drink I take….it has krishna tulsi, vana tulsi, rama tulsi leaf and flower of all these and then it has ashwagandha extract and some organic agave nectar.

23. Colleen says:

My favourite right now is coconut water. I do really love chai lattes, but the caffeine really affects me negatively, so I am super excited to try the tulsi chai tea latte recipe out. YUM!

24. George says:

My new favorite drink is fresh squeezed lemon juice, raw wild honey and cyanne pepper. I drink it at night and sleep like a rock.

25. Veronika says:

Could you please post your events and where you’ll be on your schedule calendar? It looks blank whenever I click on “Our Schedule”. You say you’ll be in SF soon, and I’d love to know the details. Thanks!

26. Quinny says:

What the holly basil gives, is it just sensation or does it help rebuild the adrenal function?

27. Chai, most any kind, but please no fennel or anise—love them both but not in chai! I also drink lots of water–well water from 900 feet, pumped on demand, no chlorine.

28. miss Amerika says:

How timely this recipe is. I was trying to decide if I should grow Holy Basil this year (for the first time) and I now have my answer.

29. Rev Bob says:

I’ve been drinking Holy Basil Tea for some time.
    I’m going to grow it this spring.

You’re having some great shows!!!

Keep rawsome

Rev Bob

30. yoda says:

ok..so it’s not tea, but i like smoothies with frozen fruit, frozen banana, SweetLeaf’s vanilla creme stevia, water, and perhaps a little ice…yummy!

31. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

Well, my favorite drinka ctually used to be a Starbucks chai latte-too funny! Now if I drank one of those I’d feel awful, which of course I felt bad before, but didn’t realize it was the latte doing that to me.

Now I really love, well and always have just ice water with lemon. I also enjoy honeybush herbal tea. What a fantastic way to have a frothy taste to drinks again-coconut milk, yum! I am going to try that, but not until I have a Vitamix.

Sadly, I went to a home show recently just to check out the Vitamix. I really could use one. So I bought it, and got the dry container for $59. It is sad because I canceled my order. I simply can’t afford to spend that kind of money right now.

Thanks again for everything,

Marie

32. Elaine says:

My favorite is banana chocolate almond milk.

33. Lorien says:

My favorite drink probably will always be coffee, just love the stuff, plain black coffee hotter then hell. However I’ve cut myself down to one cup a day in the morning and will probably give it up some day.

The rest of the day I drink a tea blend that is part green tea, part Pau D’Arco and part Tulse. I like the flavor of the mix.

34. Melissa says:

My favorite drink is coconut water, hands down!

35. Melissa says:

My daughter is sitting with me and wants to let everyone know that she LOVES!!!!!!!! coconut water too!

36. Christine says:

Fresh coconut water (my nutritionist gave me the tip that I can order 9 young coconuts at at time from our little Asian market for only $12, so I’ve been going a little “nuts” lately)

And Natalia Rose (she wrote 2 great books: “Detox for Women” and “Raw Food Life Force Energy”; she’s not pushing for 100% raw, but offers wonderful transition foods, I felt great when I followed Detox for Women for 4 weeks and got rid of the candida for the most part as well as of 10 pounds) has a wonderful recipe: in the VitaMix, blend 4 cups of fresh carrot juice together with pumpkin pie spice (I use just cinnamon) with 1/2 avocado and a piece of sweet potato, it is heavenly smooth and sweet and super healthy.

Take care,
    Christine

37. FeralKevin says:

Bachelor food! That’s what I do on my show. 🙂

Love Tulsi. You can grow it in temperate climates, too. It’s nearly identical botanically to regular basil.

38. Rebecca says:

Thank you for bringing up this topic and a possible remedy for those of us who need stress relief. I seem to have had similar issues to you after the use of cacao. I experimented with it briefly and within a couple weeks I had a “nervous breakdown”. I am still re-covering. I have never felt this “off” and fatigued. I am going for a follow up appointment with my naturopath tomorrow, after having some blood work done.

39. Usha Sunrise says:

I make a tea out of dried peppermint leaves, and add some raw honey and lemon juice. It’s one of my favs, very nourishing. Also, I really love a recipe from David Wolfe’s Superfoods book:

– Goji juice (soaking gojis for 2-4 hours or overnight, or if you can’t wait, just a small handful of gojis in water)
    – blueberries (or any kind of frozen fruit)
    – raw honey, as you like ( I use about a tbs)
    -Ice cubes (optional)

Blend.

Yummy.

(I add the ice cubes and more fruit to make it a bit thicker and use it as a dessert for when friends come over. Vegan ice-cream at its finest, that everyone loves!)

40. Leam says:

Clean, refreshing water. Love coconut water also.

I really wish you would film yourselves trying the food/drink you make. I know it may seem silly but the show just doesn’t feel complete to me when you sample off camera and then report that its really good. First-hand reactions are appreciated. Just a thought to consider.

41. stinging nettles tea… and coconut water.

42. Rhonda D says:

Love Peppermint tea hot or Cold.
    But the tea you made today sounds wonderful.
    I will be trying it soon.

Thanks for such a great show.

Rhonda D.

43. Carolyn says:

Good strong infusion of red raspberry leaf and nettles. A touch of Manuka honey and I’m good to go!

44. nikhil says:

the word ‘chai’ means ‘tea with milk and spices.’ so calling the recipe ‘Holy Basil Chai Spiced Latte Tea’ is sort of like calling it ‘Holy Basil Chai Chai Chai Chai.’ so how bout just calling it ‘Holy Basil Chai’?

45. Moon says:

I love the Chai tea I’ve been making lately. I get around the caffeeine problem by using decaf green tea by Salada. To it I add my own blend of chai spices. yes Kev LOADS of cinnamon is yummy!

ty I will try this recipe it sounds like it is yummy.

46. Bill Murphy says:

That sounds like a pretty awesome drink. I think I will have to remember this one for winter. That is the only time I ever drink tea. Usually a herbal tea. 🙂

My favourite drink would have to be my superfood smoothies that I have for breakfast most mornings. Kind of really a meal instead of a drink, but as I drink it and look forward to it each morning, I will pick this! 🙂

47. Lee says:

Dr. Mercola sent out an article about tulsi the day after you posted this video. Coincidence? Maybe a sign… I am getting some.

48. Angelica says:

My favorite is watermelon blended with frozen rasberries or cherries… yummi

49. David Barriga says:

I like all fruit/veggie blends, but the fresh coconut-all is my favorite. Green tea I drink everyday in the mornings, kinda like people drink thier coffee every morning. Five yrs. ago, wanted to lose weigth, green tea, at that time was recommended for wieght lose, too bad, didn’t work, BUT! for 5 yrs. Green tea has kept me from getting a cold. Lately, been reading alot of info. regarding coconut oil/milk for a bunch of healing areas, anyone out there using it, and what areas has it helped you.?
    For Kevin: you read people’s minds?? I have been lookin for a stress buster for my high strunged family, and low and behold, —Holy basil is the one, thanks alot!

50. john says:

100% Tahiti coconut juice (cold) with dates.Like heaven on earth !

51. Wonda says:

Coconut water, definitely! Yummy!

52. Suzy says:

My all time favorite drink, even when I was not raw, is my cashew shake: 2 TB raw cashews, 2-3 dates, 1-2 cups water, to taste. Very rich, and I can’t drink it anymore because I have blood sugar issues 🙁

53. Jill says:

That sounds delicious and I second whoever mentioned about the on camera tastings. I like tea, flavored coffee, milk, juice, etc etc. 🙂

54. Casey and Mateo says:

* Synchronicity * Did you see Dr.Mercolas Weekly mail today, good minds think alike.
    Beautiful, thank you again!

55. In the summer I love water with grapefruit oil in it. So refreshing on a hot day.

56. Beto says:

My son, Bo’s favorite drink is milk (dairy). He’s 3. My daughter, Kathryn’s favorite drink is orange juice. She’s 7. Mine is fresh squeezed cloud juice with a little citrus squeezed in, too!

57. Joni says:

Coconut water. I would drink it every day, all day, but then I would be broke. Too expensive, but I LOVE it.

58. Sarah says:

mountain spring water and kombucha with greens! YUM~

59. Stephen says:

Dr Greger’s worldwide review of Clinical Nutrition states that all the ingredients you use for this are healthy except the coconut milk.

He also quotes studies that show healthfulness of herb, redbush (rooibos), white, green, tulsi, chi, black teas and coffee.

Variety being the spice of life, I rotate through them all.

Stephen

60. Jude Manche says:

Well I make a great tea with about 4 or 5 slices of fresh ginger and stick of cinnamon. Simmer in spring water about 20 mins and the aroma is divine. The tea tastes great too, I chill it and use it as base for green smoothies sometimes. I looooove chai tea, have been making it from scratch for years. First got the recipe from Krishna Temple and then Siddha Yoga. Got out of the habit as my recipe used black tea (organic of course). This recipe sounds wonderful and I am about to make some right now. I have some tulsi leaves however I will need to source tulsi powder here in Australia. Thanks for another great show

61. Gwen says:

Unfortunately at the top of my list of favorite drinks is a Starbucks cappuccino. My favorite healthy drink is coconut water. I also like to make a healthier alternative to the cappuccino with a Barley coffee substitute, a few soaked cashews and almonds, a date and lucuma powder and a cup or so of water all blended at high speed in my Vita Mix until it is warm.

I am looking forward to trying your recipe for the Holy Basil Chai Spiced Latte Tea once I find some Holy Basil or Tulsi. I am not able to order from you because I live in Alberta and your shipping cost to Canada is really expensive.

62. Nick says:

Water. Yes, that period also emphatically says “PERIOD” cuz ol’ wawa towers way above food on our hierarchy of needs, running a relatively close 2nd to air. Notice how food & water have switched positions since we’ve long taken air & water for granted. Of course they are, or were, free, & food was sold to us, hence it being held above air & water by the media. Then look what we’ve let them (core-pirate elites) do to our air & water.

If we just make sure to drink a lot, disregarding drinking water specifically, we end up with diminishing returns from diuretic drinks. Then cooking dessicates food, where the water content in raw food adds to the hydrating effect of water.

I had let myself get extremely dehydrated years ago. Was treated in hospital to saline solution intravenously, 3 bags full. Yessir, I was that dehydrated & could not believe the difference in how I felt. While I staggered into the hospital, could barely stand, I practically bounced out, there was then that much relatively spring in my step. But thereafter I had a lot of trouble & frustration maintaining even near that level orally (thru drinking). Then I realized if the hospital uses a saline solution, maybe I should look into a lower grade saline for oral application. Then I discovered sea salt, the work of Dr. Batman… (sp?), Pedialyte & how we can recreate that naturally, organically, for the portassium & sugars for the brain. Ah, then coconut water & how–well, how they say–it hits the isotonic mark.

Anyway, I believe attention to water can temper our entrancement on foodyness. After all, water issues, environmentally as well as for human health, come prior to food. So food is dependent not only on water quality, but on the abundance of fresh water. Then in our selves as in nature, notice how greatly proper digestion & assimilation depends on hydration levels.

63. Jane says:

What is the amount of Tulsi? In the video, Kevin says to add about a half a TABLESPOON of the Tulsi, the printed recipe states a
    half a TEASPOON of the Tulsi.

So, would that be a half a TABLESPOON or TEASPOON?