Butternut Ginger Saloup… Yep… Saloup – The Renegade Health Show Episode #507

Wednesday Feb 17 | BY |

What is a saloup?

You’ll have to watch this episode to find out…

I can tell you that this butternut squash raw food recipe tastes awesome.

Your question of the day: What have you invented that tastes awesome? (Or awful!)

To find out more about Rene, please click here!

Here’s the raw food recipe!

Butternut Ginger Saloup
Makes 2-3 servings —————————————————————————————–

2 stalks celery, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces

1/2 large cucumber, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces

1 lb. butternut squash, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces

2 Tablespoons lemon juice

1″ fresh ginger

1/4 oz. dulse

1/4 cup sunflower seeds, sprouted

1/3 cup Chia gel

Place above ingredients in high-speed blender. Blend on high speed with tamper until smooth. Add additional water if necessary to reach desired consistency. Transfer to a large bowl. Add water if a thinner consistency is desired.

1/2 large cucumber, finely chopped

4 Swiss chard leaves, finely chopped

1/2 red pepper, chopped

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Add these remaining ingredients to those in the large bowl and enjoy!

1. Lizardo says:

I purchase her book a while back ago. The book is awesome!!!! I just wish she would make a version for 1 to 2 people or 1 to 3 servings.

2. lm says:

can you post the recipe please?

3. Tonja says:

I have over 20 raw food recipe books, and Rene’s is my clear favorite! It’s full of practical, quick, easy, healthy recipes that taste great!

Okay, my worst creation – when I was still pretty new to green smoothies, I tried making a green smoothie with mustard greens in it (I had never had mustard greens before). I couldn’t eat it, unfortunately. But my dogs ate it, so it didn’t go to waste and they got some great nutrients!

4. Tom says:

I like to dehydrate blueberries when they are on sale. I call them bluesins. They make a great snack when traveling.

5. Kelly says:

Yeah Rene!!! I love Rene’s recipe book too…it is our favorite! It is an awesome resource for not just recipes, but also critical pieces of info to make the most of eating raw. Neil, Dylan and I look forward to seeing you guys this weekend!!

6. Aishwarya says:

Today i did this leafy wrap that was heaven !!! mmm… i dont measure but go by instinct and so take your pick!
    Make the inside of the wrap blending the following:
    ripe avocadoes
    peas
    cilantro
    lemon juice
    tahini
    cucumber
    ginger (i used about a cube)
    garlic
    chopped green onions
    Remember, add just a spoon of tahini or you can skip it and add more avoes to make it creamy. Juice the lemons first and have this as a base so the rest of the ingredients blend easily. I used about 3 medium sized lemons. Too much juice would make it watery!
    Now take out the bleded mix and add some torn or small,loose red lettuce leaves to them and mix them with a spoon. So it is now a blend with some added leaves! This really does make it good. Spoon out some of this and use it as a sandwich material wrapped within butter lettuce or crunchy romaine leaves! Make a double leaf wrapping. You now have a delightfully refreshing and beautiful meal. It was delicious!

7. Gina says:

I also have Rene’s cookbook. It is awesome, she makes it so easy for beginners to learn the concepts of raw. Rene herself was very ill with an auto immune disease which brought her to raw foods many years ago. She cured herself and is always helping spread the word to help others. She is a sweet, down to earth person, kind of like Kevin and Annmarie who want to spread the word of raw food and all of it’s benefits to the world.

8. Jos says:

I have Rene’s books – excellent value and advice.
    Like Lizardo, I wish that more books were giving recipes for 1 or 2 servings. I find that it is easier to double a recipe than to downsize it!

9. Garrett says:

Hi,

Looks great!

One question about the ginger: I have heard that it is important to peel ginger root because it almost always has fungus that you don’t want to ingest.

What do you make of that? Peel your ginger? Never peel your ginger? What say you?

Best,

Garrett

10. Patrina says:

Something creative? Well, back when I used to juice quite a lot, I would try to think of creative ways to use up the pulp. For fruit pulp I would bake it into cakes or pancakes which my husband would eat without too much trouble, and veggie pulp I would often make pulp soup (he wouldn’t eat it but I enjoyed it), or pulp patties/burgers with some rolled oats, chopped onion and corn nibblets ( I wasn’t into raw food in those days). I also used to mix veggie pulp into homemade raw dog food with raw minced chicken frames. Funny that my dog was raw way before I was!

11. Rene Oswald is wonderful. Have been viewing
    her videos for some time and have her book. She’s great! She gets you going doing things
    and everything turns out great!

12. Sandy says:

Where is the get together Saturday night. You did not mention if it was open to everyone….. or where it would be….

13. Honestly, the saloup looks awful. However, I have tried Rene’s recipes before and they are all excellent, so I will give this a go. Can you post the recipe?
    I’ve been thinking of buying Rene’s book, and with all the positive comments, I will do just that.
    Thank you, Rene, and AnnMarie and Kevin.
    Health and peace

14. Dawni says:

Fantastic!

Truly a grounded woman. Enjoyed the segment. Annmarie you seemed comfortable, sharp, and warm. Lovely presentation. Rene is organized and clear…much appreciated.

I am new to her and look forward to learning new stuff!

Dawni

15. Thanks Kevin, Annemarie and and Rene (whom I know)

Sorry I can’t make it Saturday, I already spoke with Rene and told her that is is my Sabbath.

Something I made that was incredible and so easy was a simple sauce or dip using avocado and orange juice (from the fresh orange) and use it for nappa cabbage roll-ups

Also, visit my blog http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com and read about my 42 day cleanse using coconut water and stevia in my water, and finished mid-January. I have also written about my transition back to food. I continue to write about health related topics and post daily (off on weekends). To read about my cleanse from day 1, click on December 2009. Share this with others who may be interested and I love to receive comments.

Namaste!

16. Jeff says:

Hey Kevin!

I want to buy a few different superfoods from Mountain Rose Herbs and make my own superfood powders, but I’m not sure of what ratios to use. Are there any particular rules or recommendations when it comes to mixing ingredients in order to obtain optimal synergy between them? I want to make two, one with superfruits and one with greens. Any advise would be awesome!

Thanks! Jeff

17. john says:

All three of you have the right chemistry for success .Enjoyed the informative butternut saloup. Well done. Thanks for doing all the trial and error so I do not have to .The easy part for me is to just read the recipe . thank you .

18. Sheralee says:

A question I have: How do you clean your vitamix jug like Rene’s was???? Would love to know how to get the fruit acids? or whatever sits on it after a while???

19. Laura says:

Great question Sheralee. Yes, how does Rene get her Vitamix container to look so clean and new??? Mine has an ugly white film that I don’t want to scrub off with bon-ami or a green scrubby for fear of scratching it. So fess up! How’d she do that?

20. Nicole says:

Papaya blended with tahini and onion tastes like caesar salad dressing to me, and I love it. I think I’m the only one who feels there is a resemblance though!

21. May Blom says:

Just made up a recipe the other day which I guess could be called sesame seed dip. I was going to make the zucinni hummus you posted last year but didn’t have any Tahini so instead I soaked sesame seeds, put them in the food processor along with a little hemp oil, some zucinni, salt lemon and cayenne. Put it in a dulse leaf and ate it. Yum! Could do lots of variations!

22. Kuru says:

The greenest, most efficient, easy to use cleaning agent for many things including a vitamix container is a magic cleaning cloth (microfiber). You can use them dry with some elbow grease or wet them a bit for really easy cleaning. Fabulous on faucets too. You can get them at your health food store or find them online. It’s a great product for so many reasons.

23. Deniese says:

It looks very simple and delicious. I can’t wait to go to her website and find out more…..I am pretty new to raw and have tried some things I could hardly get down so I hope to keep searching for easy, yummy and healthful recipes! I don’t have any creations as yet but I will let you know.

24. Veronika says:

Awesome invention: My own raw peaches & cream w/ granola parfait. All raw, all awesome.

As I’m going on this high raw journey, I’ve also been re-inventing things – like my own raw bread, smoothies, and a super duper salad that my boyfriend dubbed “Veronika’s Famous Salad”.

25. Ryan says:

Hmm…id have to say experimenting once with fermented coconut water & papaya and adding it to a base for smoothie with I believe some chia seeds and roasted black sesame seeds…just the flavors together made an awesome almost hot chocolate like taste(despite no chocolate)or even a sweeter coffee flavor…which leads me to the question…

Since we’ve been on the juicing and blending thing…I dont tend to make smoothies really sweet as ive cut down on sugar a lot…what would be the result of adding probiotics and or even an already fermented drink to a smoothie or even juice to make your own probiotic juice/smoothie…would blending probiotics with everything do anything to them or just adding after and stiring in…Thanks

26. nick says:

I’ve been “salouping” for years. I called them ‘soupy salads’ or ‘salady soups’ depending on whether I emphasized the dressing or the ‘dry ingredients’. Usually they were soupy salads cuz I liked the macerating effect of vinaigrette (to aid digestion of the tough cellulose), plus the opportunity to start with the dressing’s own dry ingredients of superfoods, thoroughly ground up seed & nut dust etc. I did this for two additional reasons. I’d previously let myself get dangerously dehydrated, so took every opportunity to orally rehydrate. Then I started doing this over a harsh winter when I was way up in the Canadian north. As well as dehydrated I had also got myself hypothermic, sadly. So I even made salad dressing warm & warming, as I sought ways to do this that was too due as I sought ways to better care for myself, after swinging around onto that direction, generally.

27. Usha Sunrise says:

Hi Kevin,

I have a question. Actually, two. Okay, make that an even three ; )

1. I started being consciously 75+% raw & vegan since the beginning of this year, to be healthier, reverse hypertension and lose weight. And I’m loving it! Only downside for me, is that I am experiencing huge cold shivers, especially in the evening. I’m wearing 3 sweaters, a scarf and a hat and still I am freezing! Some people say it’s because I’m losing weight. I drink warm herbal tea to keep warm and do eat a lot of warming herbs and spices. What’s up with this?

2. I am still using anti-hypertension medication, and more than often am now feeling dizzy and very tired. Does that have to do with my bloodpressure being lowered? I have my next check up at the end of March, until then, I’m supposed to keep using the meds, which I will.

3. What’s your opinion on the EMF blocking crystals that David Wolfe is wearing? (I think I saw Annmarie also wearing a purple one). Are they working? They’re selling for quite a lot of money, and I don’t want to waste it on a piece of crap, if you know what I mean!

Love you guys, keep it up!

28. jane says:

PLEASE do come cooked healthy recipes!To eat with a high raw diet

29. mary says:

I don’t think its healthy to eat raw butternut , no traditional diets ate raw squashes .It doesn’t make sen

30. bob says:

Could you do a healthy dish with cooked grains and vegetables?
    Also , what oil would you use to cook.

31. Melissa says:

Can you please post this recipe? It looks great!

My recipe disaster was adding a lot of mustard greens to a smoothie. It was wretched and I had to choke down half of it since I didn’t want to waste it. However, I lost the battle and tossed the rest. Blech!

32. Joan says:

I have done some of the same things as mentioned above – fun to experiment and hopefully it is edible!!!

In response to Jane above – the easiest cooked healthy foods are any type of beans, soaked over night and cooked in the crock pot and put over brown rice or quinoa – I season with fresh diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simple and delicious.

33. Kuru says:

I love raw soup with cooked veggies. Fabulous contrast in textures, temperatures, and tastes. Today I’m having cooked beets in garden greens smoothie, using avo and cuke to thicken it up to soup. Yum! Cooked eggplant is delicious too.

34. Taina says:

I live in WPB too! Where can I neet you the two of you?? Where will you be Saturday??? Please email me. I need you!

35. Cindy (Sydney, Australia) says:

Hi Guys,
    I’m not sure what “Swiss Chard” or “Dulse” are.
    Are they know by any other names that you know of. I live in Australia so maybe that’s why.
    I would also like to know if she peeled the Pumpkin, or butternut squash as you call it. I couldn’t tell from the video and I’m not sure about what skins on veges are safe to eat. Also, Garrett, above comment, asked about peeling ginger. Could you please also advise us on that.

I also have a suggestion for these posts. Is there a way for you to have us be able to respond to specific people who leave comments , as someone may answer my question but i won’t know as i never come back and read the comments after I’ve watched the video. I know it is possible as other people have it set up that way, and I get an email when someone responds to my comment. I’m sure it would be useful to alot of your audience as we do participate in answering each others questions and I’m not sure how many people come back & see the answers. It would also be helpful as you don’t answer everybody’s questions so if it is possible it may help us all out.
    Thanks and have a great day

36. Lori says:

I know this isn’t really any strange concoction for all of us here but taking a green smoothie into my exercise class at this “active adult” community where I’m currently staying is rather bizarre! But guess what? Success! “Yummy” and smiles!
    My mantra lately has been “two heads of lettuce and a shot of Ormus” and I guess it’s spilling out into my little world – thanks to you Kevin and AnnMarie! My water bottle is green and proud! I really do like the taste of “Ormus” water!(and I’ve been putting it into the smoothies) Oh, by the way, I’ve been making green smoothies for my husband every morning now for a couple months, he drinks on his way to work, and get this; nothing else at all in his diet has changed and he’s lost almost 30 pounds! I was stunned when he revealed this to me! Still a bit of a belly to work off but there’s magic in those leafy greens!

37. Elaine says:

Usha, you might want to be tested for hypothyroidism, those symptoms describe it perfectly.

38. sharon says:

Usha Sunrise

Re being so cold –

some thoughts: If your kidney energy is weak that can cause coldness. Keep your kidney area warm at all times, drink warm things only never cold foods or beverages. some chinese herbs strengthen the kidney chi energy. Make sure to add sea vegetables and good forms of sodium (but not too much) to your dietary regimen – there needs to be a balance of sodium and potassium. Also check your iron levels and ferritin levels to see if you are anemic and finally – b12 (try Dr. Mercola’s b12 spray. Check out lists of what are cold and hot foods in chinese medicine ie
    mint, cucumber, citrus, are cold foods. Of course Thyroid issues can also cause cold. Lastly…exercise! If the heart is weak, lack of circulation etc. can cause cold. Hope these ideas help!

39. J Leigh says:

My worst experiment? adding collard greens to my fresh veggie juice, it was really bitter, I drank it anyway but it took me all day to sip it down. Kale works better for juices. I use 3-4 pieces of kale, handful of spinach, 1 cucumber, 3-4 stalks of celery, 2-3 carrots, handful of wheatgrass, tblsp fresh ginger, small handful of milk thisle seeds, small handful of horse tail, and 1 granny smith apple for sweetness. Also I use a nylon knee high stocking to strain it, I find that works better for straining juice as opposed to the nut milk bags. A trick I learned from Dr. Robert young’s wife when I went to a retreat at their Rancho Del Sol in San Diego California.

40. sarah says:

hi, i blended some sprouted chickpeas with garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and a little salt and i eat it in little scoops made from red peppers or any lettuce leaves and i can almost kid myself that i’m eating cheese! Also i made a choclate orange mousse from advocado, raw cocoa, zest and juice of an orange then sweetened with raw honey, this is great for anyone making the transition to raw food, my husband ate it and had no idea he was eating raw food he even hates advocado!!! sorry i haven’t given any quantities here but i just invent by throwing things in. I’m probabley not the first to invent these 2 recipes but i really like them.

41. Jenn says:

I love the name ‘saloup’ and the idea. I love soups but with raw find so many are simply blended and I like ‘chunk’ to my soups. The mix of salad and soup is great.

I haven’t made any HORRIBLE concotions yet with raw foods, lol learned my lessons years ago on what flavors worked and didn’t work with cooked and I test new veggies before adding them to things now.

BEST was a ‘bottomless pit’ salsa I had going for awhile last summer. I started with a fresh tomatillo based salsa/salad and as the bowl got down to 1/3 I would add more fresh veggies. This happened for a good week, so at the end the flavors that had developed were pretty interesting because I never added the same items.

42. Jill says:

That saloup sounds interesting. I don’t cook for our family so I have no recipes to share. 🙂

43. I made the saloup for dinner tonight. It was pretty good! 🙂

44. Peasbkind says:

I love gardening, I once worked on a farm in the Berkshires, and then in Patagonia, but lately the only farming I am doing, sadly, is on Farvmville, the facebook game, where you plant and grow your own imaginary crops.

45. Moon says:

A smoothie using organic cherries, pure cacoa, Stonyfield yogurt, and a little organic honey. It was goood! :p Yum