Carrot-Lime Tang Raw Food Soup Recipe – The Renegade Health Show Episode #482

Wednesday Jan 13 | BY |

We’re in Orinda, CA and have a special guest on today’s show…

Since it’s chilly in the Northeast, it’s time to think soup. When it comes to soup, you always can warm it up if you need something warming!

The kids loved this carrot lime soup, so you definitely will. 🙂

Your question of the day: What is your favorite soup?

Here’s the Raw Food Recipe…

Carrot-Lime Tang Soup

1 c carrot juice
1 red pepper, de-seeded and chopped
1/4 c minced cilantro
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
1 avocado, peeled, de–stoned and chopped

Put all the ingredients except the avocado into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add the avocado and finish blending. Enjoy 🙂

1. Barbara says:

The soup looks great. Can you post the recipe?

2. Kathy says:

Celery Soup; 1 cup celery juice, 1 cup water, 1 large avocado – blend and enjoy.

3. LOVE THE INSPIRATION THAT TAKES PLACE FOR ME WHEN WATCHING OTHERS PREPARE LIVING FOODS. WHAT HAPPENS IS I GET VERY INSPIRED AND START ADDING OR SUBTRACTING AND COME UP WITH MY OWN RECEIPT. I WATCH MOST EVERY DAY NOW.HAVEN’T MADE ANY SOUPS YET. BETWEEN LIVING FOODS AND MY ELECTRICAL MUSCLE STIMULATOR DEVICE, I AM NOW ENJOYING A PAIN FREE WINTER!

4. I’ve made a raw Thai soup that’s quite yummy.

Please post the recipe. Looks yummy.

And Kevin, your hair cut is fine. I can imagine it is a challenge to have it cut. Hey, how about growing it out like Matt Monarch’s? Just a thought.

Thank you for making it an easy recipe.

5. Beth says:

Thanks for another great sounding recipe. My favorite soup is an Arugala Soup from Carol Alt’s book “The Raw 50″…I think that’s the title of the book. Will you post the recipe for the Carrot Lime Soup.

6. jasmyn says:

You had me at tang;)

7. Jeannie says:

Recipe for the Carrot-lime tang soup ..please. Looks yummy!

8. Lori says:

You guys are too cute! You need some kids already!!!!! Soup looks good! Hair, well, I’m with Ellie…giggle giggle… Grow the beard back!!! xoxo, Lori

9. Nicole says:

I love vegetable soup. More like stew, I guess. And there’s a vegetarian restaurant in town that makes a really nice squash soup. Yum.

10. May Blom says:

I’d like the recipe too! I have two favorite soups – gazpacho soup and cucumber soup.

11. Robert Wethington says:

Spinach soup is my favorite. Funny, I didn’t notice the hair loss until Kevin mentioned it. I had to roll back the video to take in the whole effect!

12. Rev Bob says:

Looks GREAT, but where’s the recipe ?
    I mean the soup looks great, the hair . . . ?
    Well, Ill not comment (I’ll have to get used to it)

13. RJ says:

This was an adorable show with the children! I’m betting that the Carrot-Lime Tang Raw Food Soup will be my favorite.

Kevin, I agree with Annmarie…the haircut looks like a bit helmet-like. Well, I offered my hair styling services at my shop. I know you both live far away from the dog grooming shop, so I’ll give you a tip for that new goatee of yours that really shows off your jawline.

HERE IS THE TIP…

After showering moisten your goatee with a small amount of Annmarie’s Coconut Body and Face Oil. Rub the oil on your palms and then spread it on your goatee in a downward motion.Take a fairly wide tooth comb and comb all the hairs in the direction that they grow. In other words…go with the grain. Any hairs that are still sticking out should be clipped off with a hair cutting scissor or a nail clipper. Just clip the hair off evenly with the other hairs that are sprouting upwards on your face.

Or, Annmarie could just pluck out,one by one, all the hairs that stand away from your goatee after you apply her Coconut Body and Face Oil. That way you’d remember to never get a haircut like that again!;) 😉

It’s all good!!!!!!!!!!!
    Be Healthy!!

14. Carolyn Huff says:

You guys are my favorite in the raw food online world. Thanks for being so real and making it seem that good health is accessable. You are living proof, with your peaceful demeanors, healthy skin and bright smiles. Your smiles come from your inside and it’s clear to anyone that you two have found the happiness that comes from good health and living a clean lifestyle. You are my role models.

Soup? Boring, yes, but good: vegetable soup is my favorite.

15. Carolyn Huff says:

I think your hair is fine, btw. If anything, I think it would look good even shorter. Maybe for summer when the weather’s warmer?

16. Stormie says:

My favorite soup is Kale-potato soup (sorry, not raw). Didn’t notice the hair cut, but miss the beard!

17. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kev and Annmarie,

I have yet to have a raw soup. I don’t have a high speed blender or a juicer. Right now I’m doing the best I can in this cold weather :)This one looks way yummy! During these colder months I’ve been making “cooked” soups on the stove.

My favorite lately has been this spinach and risotto soup.I know the risotto probably isn’t the greatest for me, but it makes the soup nice and creamy, no dairy required. I made a killer veggie chili not too long ago.

I made a regular vegetable soup that was really good as well. Recently I made a white bean, red potato, and cabbage soup, but I wasn’t overly fond of it. I haven’t made minestrone this winter yet, so that will be next.

I think if you eat anything cooked, that vegan soups are probably one of the better options since atleast you drink the vitamins and minerals. Any thoughts on this idea?

Please keep the raw soup recipes coming, so when I have a Vitamix I can prepare them :)Love you guys! Thanks!

-Marie

18. Shannon says:

best soup overall? I love Tom Kha soup, the Thai coconut soup with galangal and lemon grass…. slurp.

recently I’ve been loving a raw vegetable/ gazpacho-y thing I’ve been making at home. it’s very savory and filling….. yum!

and I’m planning on trying out a raw African stew recipe I found online which looks promising. Corn, peanuts, and sweet potato….mmmm.

If there is a Floyd’s barbershop near where you live, Kevin, go there…. my husband has curly hair, and they do him right every time. No helmet head. They also give neck massages as part of the haircut!

19. Ineke says:

My favorite soup(and my daughter’s) is Tuscan white bean soup with lots of spinach or kale drizzled with rosemary, olive oil and lots of garlic. Sorry not raw but one of the few things that my husband pouts at since he is on the HIp(pocrates) diet. The recipe is in “rebar modern food cook book” for those who are interested. I’m also very fond of lentil and mung bean soups Indian style.

could you please post the recipe of this one? I still have to get used to the idea of “no cooked soups”

Love your shows!!!

20. Charlotte says:

Lately my favorite soup has been butternut squash (not raw), but I’m not sure that butternut squashes (or others in the pumpkin family) raw is very digest anyway.. Anyway it’s absolutely heavenly!
    BTW, the face is much better, the hair, well, don’t worry it’ll grow soon enough. But please don’t take the advice above and let it grow like Matt Monarch, ew! lol
    Good show!
    Charlotte

21. kate says:

I’d have to say slightly warmed raw miso soup is the best.

22. barbara says:

My favorite raw soup is spinach and thyme. Divine. But I have to say that I also love a good white bean soup (cooked) in the winter.

23. Mys says:

I have a soup for when I need some extra salt. 5 stalks of celery, 1 1/2 cups Prill water, 1 cubs vegan veggie bouillion. Blend in Vita-Mix till container feels slightly warm and enjoy! If it’s cold and you feel cold, add an half-inch of peeled fresh ginger.

24. Willemena says:

My boyfriend and I are becoming VERY disappointed that all questions,regarding
    the whereabouts of Johnny 5 (from ourselves
    and MANY others)seem to be completely ignored.
    We had always considered J-5 to be a sweet integral part of The Renegade Health family.
    The soup,the haircut,the Vita Mix – means
    ABSOLUTELY nothing to us.
    JOHNNY 5 MEANS WAY MORE !!!

25. Jill says:

That soup you made looks okay though I’d have to try it before I could make a decision.

Keeping strictly to the soup question and I’d have to say chicken noodle is my absolute favorite but I also like a bean soup my fiance’s mom makes, broccoli-cheddar soup, cream of chicken, cream of celery, and Golden Dragon’s wonton soup is awesome too. Makes me hungry for soup now but its almost 11pm here lol.

Can you tell I eat only cooked soups and have never tried a raw one? 😉

26. jackie says:

Please post the recipe! It sounds and looks good, but too hard to try to figure out quantities of ingredients.

27. Chris & Sara says:

I dont have a favorite because I LOVE SOUP!!! Any soup basically.

But an easy, hearty one is Butternut Squash. Raw or cooked is really good. Basically blend it and I add pumpkin pie spice. MMmmmm.

The hair is fine. I wouldnt have noticed if you guys werent all so silly! 🙂
    We were just noticing earlier this week how long it was getting and really liked it. At least she didnt cut too much.

Thanks for the recipe. Cant wait to try it.

Aloha!

Chris & Sara

28. Irina says:

So hard to pick a favorite because I love soup!
    I really loved making watermelon rind soup in summer, but now that it is chilly and dark, shiitake and seaweed soup is my favorite.

29. Will says:

My fav is tomato coconut with mustard seed.

30. Sharon says:

Hair looks fine. I was just thinking yesterday it’s getting a bit scruffy-looking! Good timing!

Fave soup? In the summer I like a mix of tomatoes with cucumber, bit of avocado, garlic, etc blended and then with added chopped veggies–yellow pepper, red onion and cilantro with a bit of Himalaya salt and dash of hot pepper. Winter? No soup but favorite soup was cooked butternut squash with coconut milk, ginger and garlic and cilantro and Tom Yum Thai soup (without the shrimp).

31. Kristen says:

My very favorite raw soup is Juliano’s Extra Avo Soup out of his “The Uncook Book”. It takes a bit longer to make – but sooo good.

In a pinch I use a base of a little coconut water, tomatoes and cucumbers and namu shoyu combined with whatever veggie I happen to have left over in the fridge.

32. Guylaine says:

Kevin I like your hair not too short and not too long either.
    The soup looked so yummy. Thanks Annmarie. My favorite soup is a vegetable smoothie made of tomato, cucumber, spinach, arugala, and a bit of avocado.

33. DebB says:

I haven’t made a lot of soups, but I really enjoy this one. I improvise a bit, I like adding more corn at the end as I like lots of chunkies in my soup. I use frozen organic corn we buy at Costco. I also use 2 tablespoons of chia seeds instead of the psyllium.
    ———————————

Cheezy Corn Chowder
    Posted by Snowdrop on Raw Freedom Community

Serves 2-3

1 c corn kernels
    1 clove garlic
    1 T onion
    1/4 c cashews
    2 T nutritional yeast
    4 baby carrots (or 1 regular one)
    1/4″ ring of red pepper
    2 T olive oil
    1/2 – 1 t psyllium (depending how thick you wish chowder to get)
    1 t cumin
    1/8 t nutmeg
    1 T parsley
    1/2 t salt
    Ground pepper to taste
    2 c water

Blend in hi speed blender till very creamy.

Add :
    1/4 c more corn kernels
    1 T parsley

Warm up on stove till warm enough to eat.

Bowl up and garnish with additional minced parsley & fresh ground pepper.

Snowdrop’s Note: You can use fresh or frozen corn -I used frozen today because it is winter and there is no fresh corn available. I didn’t use miso, but a light miso would easily replace the salt & add a deeper dimension of flavor.

Carmella’s Note: I didn’t change a thing to the recipe and it turned out fabulously!

Enjoy!

The Sunny Raw Kitchen’s newsletter from 10-14-08

34. Favorite raw soup is butternut squash blended with a couple dates, and either cinnamon and vanilla for a sweeter soup, or garlic, chili powder, salt & pepper for a savory rendition. Lish!

35. Juliet says:

Love the goatee and Ann Marie’s carrot soup recipe. My favorite summer soup is ‘Gazpacho’.

2 Garlic cloves, chopped( or more to your taste)
    5 Juicy medium tomatoes
    5 Roma tomatoes, ripe ( summer Heirlooms
    during summer season).
    2 md Cucumbers, English, peeled,
    cut in 1-in pieces
    1 lg Spanish or red onion
    1 lg Red or Yellow bell pepper, cored,
    seeded and ribbed

2 c fresh juiced tomatoes( summer I love organic
    Heirlooms).
    1/4 c Olive oil, extra virgin
    1/4 c Red wine vinegar or my preference is( imported
    Spanish Sherry Vinegar).

2 tb Lime juice, fresh
    1 tb Worcestershire sauce( Annie Chun’s Vegan)
    2 Glubs Tabasco sauce, or to
    taste
    1/4 ts Cayenne pepper, or to taste
    1 tb Celery seed, or to taste
    White pepper (ground) easier for digestion.
    2 Inner ribs celery, very
    -finely diced

I prefer to chop and marinate veggies with oil,spices overnight. Next day I use my Vita-Mix and pulse to create a chunky texture and not a puree. You may also use a food processor also to achieve texture. Garnish with some chopped avocado cubes and a sprig of cilantro. A little drizzle of EVO add a nice touch.

Yummy Good!

Peace~

36. Jon says:

I think my favorite soup is a raw vegan cream of broccoli soup. I just made a vegan raw “clam chowder” recipe, but it wasn’t that great. :o)I have a question for you guys: what do you feed your cat?

37. Nick says:

Miso is definitely my fave, & is not to be taken above the temp limits of raw anyways. Mugi (barley) is my fave flavour. It’s a good replacement for yogurt, when looking for alt’s to dairy. Also it was used to treat radiation sickness after Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Chernobyl… I like to mix miso with other ingredients not traditional to the stock Japanese recipes. I’ve even felt tingling sensations out to my extremities immediately after a bowl of miso soup, hence my association.

38. Maria says:

My favorite is tomato soup. I ate it very often last summer, because I had lot of tomatoes in my garden. Now is winter and I am missing it. Like your show, is very inspiring. 🙂

39. Jan says:

Soup is one my grandmother made and I do not has a recipe for it. She cooked it but I heat it is a vita-mixer.

tomatoes, basil, sea salt, celery.

quick & easy I just toss in amounts and do not measure.

40. Hi Kevin, my question of the day is where is Johnny 5? And my favorite soup is not raw but really healthy and is a cauliflower, arame, grean peas, carrot, miso soup, but the vegetables are only lightly steamed and the miso is raw garbanzo miso, so is very yummy and healthy, warm for the winter.

41. Ken says:

Johnny 5 is living with Annmarie’s Parents over the holiday’s.

42. Leam says:

Soup of almost any kind- raw or cooked – is my favorite thing to make and eat. Either kind usually has a ton of greens added. I’ve been making a lot of gently warmed raw vegetable soups with ginger – perfectly warming and satisfying.

43. louise says:

Picking a favorite is tough. This one might soon become my favorite, I love carrots and red bell pepper A LOT. My current 3 favorites soups are black bean, miso & gazpacho. Your hair looks fine, it’s a fresh cut, give it a day or two to find it’s own way. Love the show… Thanks!

44. Pam Dummitt says:

I can’t wait to try this! I have been doing a lot of raw soups so far this year. My fave is Don’s Carrot Soup posted on Carmella’s Sunny Raw Kitchen blog. The idea of incorporating parsley into the base was something I would not have thought of, but it really make the soup hearty. I can’t eat tomatoes, they aggravate my fibromyalgia, but the recipe was fine without them. I don’t have a juicer, so I modified the recipe by combining the parsley, ginger, carrot, celery in the Vita-mix first, then adding the rest of the ingredients. I made it kind of thick, almost pureed and it was so good I made it twice in a row!
    I made a spinach soup off the top of my head one day by combining apple, green onion, celery, avocado, salt, lemon juice, spinach, almond milk,a little olive oil, parsley in the Vita-mix. I could feel the sensation in my body as it absorbed the nutritious mix.
    I warm my soups slightly on defrost in the nuker and top with a few chopped seasoned nuts from the dehydrator.

45. Dee says:

Wow, I have been wondering about Johnny Five as well. So thank you Willemena for bringing it up.

Also, suggestion for show, can Annmarie do a skincare line show. I would like more info on skin ph and ingredients that are beneficial and those that are not.

As for soups, I love soup, tomato and basil, butternut squash and apple, potato and kale. However, I like my soups hot.

46. Torey Taylor says:

Kevin I love the new look. You look very clean cut.
    Annmarie you did a fun job with the soup. You guys always make me smile. I agree with some of the other readers, you guys need to start a family, you are so cute with kids.

47. Quinny says:

I used to love cooked tomato soup, but after I went 100% raw, I now only drink cold soups. My fav are pineapple, cucumber with cilantro and watermelon gazpacho. I know that watermelon should not mix with anything else, but I think once in a while won’t hurt you. Just like raw cacao, they are bad for you, but there are people out there consume them everyday!

48. Sofia says:

Great to have the kids there! I think that it’s really important to teach children to eat well and get them involved in the process 🙂 Who knows, maybe you’ll be making it for your own tiny tots one day 😛

49. Beth says:

My favourite soups are: gazpacho (in warmer months), as well as butternut squash soup, carrot soup, and tomato soup in colder months.

50. Nancy Zare says:

I too love soup and before I became 100% raw, would make an awesome mushroom-barley soup. I also enjoy lentil soup of any kind.

Now choosing living foods, I am perfecting my repetroire and start with 2 cups water, 1/2 avocado, 2-3 cloves of garlic, plus the main veggie like spinach, zucchini, or swiss chard. Then I blend these, add seasonings, and because I like to chew my soup, I then add minced veggies such as carrots, peas, corn, celery, etc. I get creative based on what’s in the refrigerator. It’s a quick and easy dinner that I have often. I warm it by putting it in a bowl which I then place in a boiling water bath. I check frequently to make sure the temperature gets pleasantly warm and the soup doesn’t cook.

51. B&E says:

Favorite soup :
    Raw Butternut Squash
    with Lemon Juice
    blended in a Vita Mix.

52. What a great episode!
    There are plenty of great recipes in the comment section, in addition to AnnMarie’s. I will have to try them ALL.
    My favorite soup? Hmmm. I’ll have to hurry and decide because I am hosting a Raw Vegan Discovery Dinner next week and my contribution will be soup. I’ll make something with kale (my superfood of choice).

53. Ruth says:

Kevin, you look s-o-o-o-o-o-o-o much better!
    Ann Marie, appetizing recipe!
    Elli, you’re a young expert!

54. Chriss says:

Your hair cut is not bad. I really would not have noticed had you not said anything.

My favorite soup well back in college all I could cook was salsa soup; salsa, water and a potato. Now my favorite soup is a cucumber avocado with a smattering of peppery watercress

1 cucumber
    1 avocado
    1 celery stalk
    pinch of salt if needed
    pinch of ground juniper berries
    and some watercress (not much because it is a strong flavor)

55. Alexandra says:

coconut butternut squash soup from “The raw food detox diet” is unbelievable.

56. I just made the soup for this evening’s supper,and it was so good. Unbelieveble.
    It was worth the cleanup for the carrot juice.
    I hope everyone tries this. Thanks again!

57. I am new to raw food living, and have only tried one soup. Alissa Cohens brocoli soup. YUM

58. linda says:

I like carrot-avo soup
    8 oz carrot juice
    1/2 avocado
    blend
    top with chopped dill (opt)

I would like to find a raw coconut thai soup recipe. anyone have one?

59. Gwen says:

Soup is one of my favorite things to eat weather it is raw or cooked. My very favorite soup is lentil soup which is cooked.

It actually looks like she did a nice job on the hair cut, it is just a big change to get rid of the beard and go short all at once. Give it a week to grow a bit and it will probably be just right.

I implore you to never copy Matt Monarch’s hair style.

60. Sara says:

The soup looks great however being I was trained under a raw food guru who brought to light the dangers of using hybridized food such as carrots, beets, bnanas, seedless fruits, potatoes, corn, yams, etc- David Wolfe is another guru that also addressed this in his book sunfood diet success program I personally do use these ingredients in my raw food preparation. However- in the case of carrots- I have yet to find a decent substitute in recipes. I tried burdock root- but too much just ruined the flavor and color of the recipes. Any suggestions?