Raw Food Recipe for Wilted Kale Curry Salad – The Renegade Health Show Episode #457

Wednesday Dec 9 | BY |

An “In the Kitchen” Episode is just what we need after yesterday’s video…

There was a TON of feedback from Dr. Robert Young’s interview yesterday and I’ll talk more about that later in the week or the beginning of next week. 🙂

Today, Annmarie is making a raw food salad with wilted kale, curry and love!

Check it out…

Your question of the day: What is the best birthday present you’ve ever received?

Here’s the recipe:

Raw Food Recipe for Wilted Kale Curry Salad

1 Head Kale
3/4 cup coconut water
1 inch chunk fresh ginger
2 kafir lime leaves (optional)
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp finely chopped lemongrass
1 Tsp organic curry powder
chilli pepper to taste – optional
1 Tbsp coconut oil or hemp oil or tahini
2 celery stalks
3 tbsp soaked ground flax seeds

To Wilt Kale:

Chop in bite size pieces, sprinkle Olive Oil, sea salt and lime juice (can also use lemon). Massage together and let marinate for 20 mins.

Cuconut Curry Sauce:

3/4 cup coconut water
1 inch chunk fresh ginger
2 kafir lime leaves (optional)
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp finely chopped lemongrass
1 Tsp organic curry powder
chilli pepper to taste – optional
1 Tbsp coconut oil or hemp oil or tahini
2 celery stalks
3 tbsp soaked ground flax seeds

Blend together in a high speed blender.

Garnish:

Thinly sliced red pepper
Thinly sliced leek or red onion

Enjoy! Thanks Solla 🙂

1. Brianna says:

I have all these ingredients- maybe I should make this!! It sounds delicious…

Thanks guys!! (you’re too cute, Annmarie) 😀

2. TK says:

Happy Birthday Kevin! Always enjoy your shows! Keep up the great work!

3. Stormie says:

My youngest daughter.

4. Tiffany says:

I soooo needed to laugh like that! You guys are hilarious. ‘Take a le(a)ek and slice it up.’ That’s exactly what I thought, so I’m glad that Kevin actually said it out loud. Ya gotta laugh in life, right?

Have a great day,

Tiffany

5. Alicia says:

Happy Belated Birthday Kevin!

6. Karen Jackson says:

I never seem to have that much fun when I’m in the kitchen. You two are too cute!! Thanks for the great recipe.

When I turned six or seven, my dad took me to the toy store for my birthday and said to pick out anything I wanted. I picked out just a small doll, but it has remained my favorite birthday present. I guess you can tell it was many, many years ago.

7. John says:

That has to be my food processor! Happy b-day Kevin!!!

8. Joan says:

Yes, I enjoy seeing the fun you have making your shows…the recipe does look good! My best birthday present was in the days when all the family got together and had some quality time over cake & ice-cream. There weren’t many gifts, but we enjoyed our time together…I miss those days…the gift(s) must not have been important because I don’t remember any of them…

9. Alice Shakti says:

Can’t wait to try that dressing, looks amazing!
    Best birthday presents are books and jewelry, my two favorite things!

10. Yair says:

LOL!
    I thought your “Question of the day” would be: “What can you do with KFC coupons?”
    Cool present you got there!
    Try to resist the temptation!
    Happy (belated) Bday!

11. Leam says:

This recipe looks so good! I have some swiss chard growing outside in the frigid air…this looks like a great dish to use it in…and the curry will bring warmth without cooking it. I’m not altogether raw but I really appreciate raw recipes.

Thank you, also, for this joyful show. I agree that we grow as people listening to and processing new ideas. However, I really appreciate your approach. You take optimal health very seriously but you share it with such joy and enthusiasm.

12. Tyra McMahon says:

Happy Belated birthday Kevin. Yummy looking kale salad except for the toe nails. Too funny!!

My best birthday gift was a trip to Hawaii with my husband and daughter.

Also I ordered your cleanser and Toner Anne marie. Cant’ wait to receive it and try it out.

13. Page says:

I too have all of the ingredients. It is a must try!

14. Nancy Zare says:

For my wedding present, my brother, who is a major punster, gave me and my new husband over 200 unlabeled cans. He and his wife made purchases in gourmet sections of a supermarket and then steamed off the labels and packaged up this gift. (He also gave us a handsome check — probably to atone!) I was stunned. Each night I would come home from work and open one of the unmarked cans and then try to devise a meal around it. Even after opening some of the items, I had no idea what the contents contained! For example, I had never seen grits in a can. This same brother has gifted several family members with unforgettable gag presents. While it wasn’t necessarily the best, it was the most memorable gift I have ever received.

15. Britt says:

happy birthday!
    This fall I turned 21, and my parents bought me a vitamix! The best part is that they didn’t even know I wanted one. My mom happened to stumble upon a vitamix demonstration in Costco and thought that it would make college eating easier for me.

16. Peg says:

Yummy sounding recipe!

One of the gifts I recently received (I think it was for Christmas, but I opened it around my birthday in November) from my sister is a book called “Simple Food” by Helen Nearing. Helen and her husband Scott lived a spartan life growing most of their food. Even though they were not totally raw, they were firm believers that food should be processed as little as possible. I think all you raw foodists would be delighted with this book.

17. Nicole says:

Happy belated birthday, Kevin! And I just want to say that you and Annmarie are so sweet and vibrant together. I love watching you guys in videos together, awwww:-)

18. Jackie says:

This is great! I did not know you could wilt kale like this. I have always steamed it. I will try this. Question: Could you put Dr. Young and Daniel Vitalis in a locked room together? I would like to place a wager. My best birthday presents are always the ones I give myself because they are always PERFECT!!

19. Jasmine Leigh says:

Why would you give someone a gift like that?? (KFC coupons) Cause you’re a doofuss!! (how do you spell doofuss?)

20. Geri says:

my coolest birthday gift and best by far was a cd of my daughter singing some of my favorite songs! She can’t carry a tune for anything! It was hilarious! I loved it!!!!

21. kim says:

I hope this friday will be my best birthday ever. going to new york to a raw food resturant for dinner. will let you know.

22. Yasmine says:

Happy Belated birthday Kevin.

23. Maggie says:

Kale salad recipe looks yummy! Always enjoy your show — fun, interesting and thought provoking. Hey Kevin, when you address the issue of mushrooms and fermented foods would you please also give us your opinion on raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar? My favorite BD gift is always the one I share with friends and family. The gift doesn’t matter to me as much as being with people I love. Thanks for all you do and Merry Christmas!

24. Jill says:

My best present would either have been the carriage ride my fiance and I took for my birthday or going to see The Phantom Of The Opera live! I can’t decide which! In regards to The Phantom though I had always loved the songs from it and would listen to the soundtrack on tape when I was a kid, so going to see it live was awesome! We plan on going to see it each and every time it comes back to Chicago…not too sure what will be up his sleeve for my next birthday this December 30th (I’ll be turning 26 argh!) 🙂

25. Michael T. says:

Ann Marie, a suggestion on making the sauce thicker: use coconut butter instead of coconut oil. Coconut butter is made from the whole coconut, so it has fiber and a little protein. It is a good thickener, and has more flavor than coconut oil. And it is raw. The brand I use is Artisana, and it is usually available at natural food stores.

My best present was when my partner wrote all the things she likes about me on little valentines and taped them to the door. What a delightful surprise.

Thanks to you both for bringing some laughter to my day.

Michael T.

26. Joelle says:

Wow! We can see how much your brother supports your lifestyle? For his next birthday you should send him a gift basket full of raw goodies.

27. Happy another Birthday, Kevin! You were borne to provide us with lots of useful information, I guess. Wishing you do not think about the chicken.
    Kale salad recipe sounds delicious, I will make it today to try.
    My best Birthday present, as I remember, was my first Birthday present when I turned 7 years old. I had a Birthday party and was given 2 identical summer dresses: one in baby blue stripes and one in pink stripes and a tiny soft penguin doll, sewn by my youngest beloved aunt . Since that my favorite animals are penguins and favorite ornament is stripe. They were the dearest presents.

28. Hey, you two –

Yer killin’ me today! Funny show! LOL!

My best birthday present was from my 12yo kid, Mo, last year. She knows one of my favourite things in the world is to sit on the floor in front of her and for her to give me light touches all over my head. It’s such a stress-reliever! So, anyway, she does up an entire booklet (on the computer!) of coupons from her company, Mo LighTouches. So, whenever I want a session, I have to give her a coupon and because she doesn’t trust me to not re-use them, she takes the coupon and crosses out the “M” and turns it into an “N” for “No LighTouches”. Dork. LOL! The BEST gift!

Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    Rite Food and Company

29. Nigel says:

Lol, I know it’s not a Birthday answer but every year at Christmas, My brother and I have a little competition to buy each other silly ‘cool techy gadget gifts’, For example, maybe a USB powered Fan or Massager or a mini desk pool game. But they have to be cheap and cool. (Boyz Toyz an all that)

Last year my wife decided to join in and totally blasted us out of the water buy buying us a ‘spacehopper’ each!

I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry! I’m 44 and my brother is 34! I still can’t get my head round that she bought us such a stupid gift! LMAO

N

30. Toni Kaste says:

Happy Birthday Kevin!

AnnMarie’s salad looked nicely red and green for Christmas too…another selling point!

One of my favorite b-day presents was a print of a pointer(dog), sleeping with it’s head on a little girl’s lap and sleeping.. in the woods on a fallen tree log. I love all animals especially dogs/pointers and am a dog trainer, this print just resonated with me and it is up on my living room wall across from me now to look at it. I can almost picture that I am the little girl in the print and the amount of trust between the dog and the girl. LOVE IT! Toni

31. joel Katz says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,
    Re: Dr. Young
    Does it mean that I should not eat my spinach, kale etc. grown on decaying organic fertilizer?
    Joel

32. Dee says:

Someone else’s post, reminded, my best present was a trip to Hawaii. I did this two years in a row on my birthday.

33. Smita says:

happy birthday kevin!

34. Chriss says:

Happy B day. I can’t wait to try this, I love kale. My favorite B day present was when I was 5 and my parents got me a cricket doll and some cassettes. It’s probably why I am such a book nerd now.

35. KC says:

I’m not a big birthday celebrator… my Mom was the one who did all the work, so SHE should be the one to get to celebrate! 😀

Anyway, I have three thoughts as I watch this. 1) Kevin, it sounds as if you are scepticle about the “yummyness” of this dish, so I wonder if you enjoyed it? 2) Also, I think red onions sound like they’d be delish on this – thoughts? 3) isn’t that a lot of flax seed? I don’t really use it, so I don’t know – just asking.

Thanks! As always, you two provided me with a great sounding recipe, AND made me smile – very therapeutic!

36. Erina says:

My best is a wooden shingle with big letters LOVE painted on it from my 7 year old daughter – how old are ya Kevin?

37. Linda says:

Belated Happy Birthday Kevin!

I will definitely try this. It looks like it tastes wonderful!

38. cindy says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEVIN

39. Elaine says:

The best birthday present I’ve ever gotten is the remote car starter that I gave myself a couple of years ago!! Love it!
    Belated Happy Birthday, Kevin. Great show!