Delicious Raw Food Recipe for Mediterranean Dolmas – The Renegade Health Show Episode #452

Wednesday Dec 2 | BY |

When we were in Sedona with our friends Michael and Tracy, they made this awesome snack…

These raw food Mediterranean dolmas are from Ani Phyo’s recipe book and we’re thrilled to share them with you.

Annmarie and Ani makes them with pine nuts, but I’m hoping one of you guys can suggest something that has a little less fat!

Your question of the day: What do you like best: hummus, baba ghanoush, tabbouleh, or dolmas (stuffed grape leaves)?

Here is the recipe:

Mediterranean Dolmas from Ani Phyo

1/4 cup soaked sun-dried tomatoes
2 tbs fresh dill chopped
2 tbs raisins
1/4 cup soaked pinenuts
1 clove garlic
Collard Leaf (de-stemmed)

Use a food processor and pulse until you reach desired consistency. Place a spoonful on a collard and wrap.

You can check out Ani Phyo here!

1. Chris says:

Hummos…. hands down!

2. Brianna says:

all of thee above!! although, I haven’t had the dolmas… but I fully intend on making this recipe- sounds delicious!

Just a quick question: what are your thoughts on the pH miracle, and consumption of yeast, algae, mushrooms and vinegar? Apparently it upsets the intestinal flora? Also, when did you know to reintroduce fruits to your diet? The authors of the pH miracle recommend giving up fruit, period (but I really love it!!!). Any insight would be great!

Thanks! Love you guys 🙂

3. Lynn says:

tabooli!

4. Melissa says:

I love baba ghanoush!!! If you have a raw recipe for this, I would love to see it on your show!!!

5. alice says:

Hummus!!!!

6. Amanda Thompson says:

This is like deciding whether you prefer breathing or oxygen, no fair, too numscious to decide!
    I do have an unrelated question. William and I are purchasing a late model school bus (flat front so it will convert nicely to a Motorcoach/RV and not always look like a school bus in disquise) to remodel and take on the road ourselves. We are seriously contemplating the idea of a “Raw Food Express”, to share and acquire knowledge and perhaps link folks with books/food/eachother etc… Any advice, Grants or ways to get support, sponsors etc?

7. Great recipe, only ever seen dolmas with rice before.. ive never had a real good baba ghanoush, and never even tried making it myself, but we tend to make hummus once a week and its so so tasty so id go with hummus.
    But! I have this recipe for a eggplant salsa which is a killer.
    More Mediterranean recipes!? :]

8. Alicia says:

You Guys are Great!! I would have to say Hummus, but it’s pretty close though.

9. Janie says:

Hmmm

Tabbouleh and dolmas are a tie! I just love grape leaves…

YUMMY!

10. Oh, this looks good! As for making them with less fat — would wilted/marinated cauliflower be a good choice for a base?

11. Tom says:

Love all your great videos and recipes! This one is another winner. And to answer your question, I’d say dolmas–especially like you just made. Or tabbouleh. But Baba ghanoush? Sorry Kev, guess I’ve never had it made well–not a fan of eggplant.

I’m anxious to experiment with your recipe and make different kinds.

Keep up the good work! Much success!

12. Estrella says:

Although I love hummous, a well prepared baba ghannoush beats it hands down! I’ve made a yummy raw hummous with zucchini, but have only had cooked baba ghannoush. Is there a good raw one? Probably impossible to duplicate that lovely smoky garlicky eggplanty goodness…

13. Barbara says:

I make hummus from sprouted green lentils. Awesome stuff.
    Barbara
    ps keep up the great shows

14. Joy says:

Baba, hands down…I miss it and it is one of the only things that keeps cooked food in my life – if you can make Baba raw, you are my heros!!

15. Toni Kaste says:

Instead of the pine nuts you could use food processed cauliflower for less calories
    Toni

16. Kevin and the Renegade Health gang,

I have a question that’s been on my mind for some time now and was wondering if anybody out there could give me an answer or point me in the right direction.

My question is about the very knowledge vegans, raw foodists, vegetarians and the like take for fact about animal products and meat. How they are poison to the body, cause acidosis, leach minerals from the body, high blood cholesterol, cause mucous and everything under the sun. My question is how are these claims holding up when the Eskimo’s of northern Canada lived off of a 100% meat diet with upwards of up to 80% fat. They lived off of cooked and raw fish for 8 months of the year, then seal, then caribou, then back to fish. Before the white man came and introduced sugar, grains and other carbohydrates, the Eskimo’s lived with out disease, cancer, heart failures, diabetes, etc and lived a healthy, happy life. Vilhjalmur Stefansson wrote about the diet and life of the Eskimo’s when he traveled and lived with them during the first part of the 20th century. He himself ate a nearly 100% all meat diet for over 10 years and reports he was in the best health of his life. If all of the information regarding how poisonous and acidifying meat and animal products is actually true, then this would not be possible.

Also, the very fact that nearly all centenarians are cooked food eaters, and have eaten meat, milk and many animal products their entire lives comes as quite the contradicting piece of evidence. The very fact that people can live healthy lives with no disease and suffering, living into their 90s and even 100 while eating foods that we in the health community are CERTAIN that are harmful to the body, is a complete slap in the face to the facts we are so sure about. There MUST be other MAJOR factors that are contributing to our health.

I have been studying health, pathology, diets, veganism, raw foodism etc for a long time and these facts have always been in the back of my mind. I want to believe that killing animals for food is unnecessary and I believe that it can be done, but those are spiritual beliefs. I have read many books, thousands of articles from hundreds of “experts” about the dangers of meat and the products of animals but no one seems to tackle the obvious antagonist to all of this information. If these foods are so harmful to our health, then why are so many people thriving when eating them. Yes, thriving, not just merely surviving.

The work of Weston A. Price is also quite contradictory to the very premise that veganism is a superior diet. Many privative tribes throughout the world eat animal products and drink raw cows milk and blood and live long, healthy, vigorous lives.

I want to believe that we can live from just plant foods but as history has shown us, it might just not be the case for the long term.
    To my knowledge, there isn’t 1 vegan centenarian. I realize that this might be because it’s a fairly new way of eating but even looking at long term raw fooders like Doug Graham, they don’t look like a bundle of superior health. Some look good, others ok, but definitely not in superior health. They look their age and some look older. They are experiencing all of the same symptoms of age just like everyone else. Grey hair, their skin is loosing its elastin, and many other signs of old age. True, they may be sharper, maybe more athletic but could that not be attributed to being an intellectual and working on the body? Where are the TRUE benefits of a long term vegan or raw diet? If someone were 70 and look 45-50, that would be great evidence. But I don’t see it.

I am looking for the truth so I question everything. Even the knowledge that I know for CERTAIN. In the natural health industry we concern ourselves so much with diet and put so much emphasis on the importance of diet that we tend to close our eyes to other possible major factors to longevity and health. If there are thousands of people today who are living healthy to 100 with no diseases while consuming meat, animal products, sugars, and consuming predominantly cooked foods, there must be other major factors to health and longevity. I am looking for those answers.
    If anybody could please help me understand why there are so many people thriving while eating a predominately cooked diet with meat and animal products, I would greatly appreciate it.

PS My diet is currently high raw vegan so I am not against raw foods or veganism. In fact, I want so badly for it to be true that it IS the best diet. But I am a truth seeker, no matter where that leads me, even if it was to uncover that this is not a long-term solution, but a marvelous way to see great health in the short term.

17. Page says:

Hummus & tabbouleh are my favorites of the four. I really like garlicky hummus!

18. Jill says:

I’ve never eaten any of those, but all sound good! Thanks for another great show 🙂

19. Shannon says:

try cauliflower put through the food processor instead of pine nuts. it adds a nice roasty taste similar to nuts but without the fat.

20. Angelique says:

Baba might be top — would love to find a raw recipe that really tastes like traditional baba ganoush.

21. Shannon says:

oh and great comments Jordan. I have wondered similar things too.

I wonder if genetics and our ancestral heritage plays a role in these questions. For example, the Pima Indians have the highest rates of Type 2 diabetes in the US. This is, as I understand it, in part because their ancestry includes being people who lived a life in which their food was primarily obtained via foraging, thus creating a very low metabolism based on a need to store away as much as possible. In today’s world a highly efficient ability to store fats and sugars is not needed, and creates problems….

22. Cherie says:

I have not had any of them.

I would like to try this but do not have a food processor. What can be used if I do not have a food processor? I tried making pie crust that called for using a food processor in a vitamix but it did not come out right so either it can not be done or I do not know the trick. Any suggestions.

23. Connie says:

Please publish your answer to Jordan Lidster
    on one of your daily videos, I don’t want to miss your answer to these questions. I appreciate all your info.
    Thanks,
    Connie

24. Muriel says:

I love hummus with lots of garlic.
    With regard to Jordans questions as to raw food and longevity, i tend to feel the same way he does.
    I believe we need to eat according to our blood type as Dr. Mercola really advocates.
    Personally i do much better with small portion of organic meat a few times a week. I am a 69 year old woman and still in good health. Other factors such as exercise and meditation, prayer, loving kindness attitude, enjoy the moment and listen to your body. I love raw food but not to the exclusion of other nourishing healthy food.

25. anasha Sol says:

for Jordan:
    go to the raw life health show blog from Paul Nison, he had a series of 3 videos about a 40 years raw foodist eating animal proteins.
    he himself after 15 years of eating raw food has started to bring cooked food to his daily regimen.
    At this point, nobody has the answer, also eskimos live in a very cold climate where the body needs fat to survive, and Ehret was the picture of health and got taken off the planet in a freak accident, so when it is your time, no way to escape…..
    I am eating raw for the last 3 years and always experimenting and not fanatic about it.I was veg before doing a yearly cleanse with product and feeling very good too.i have never eaten meat and i am fine(59 years old) and i like your attitude of inquiry.
    So have fun, and thanks Kevin for allowing this forum

26. Nancy Zare says:

Baba ghanoush. Melissa, please post your raw recipe for it!

27. nick says:

mm Hummus I am going to make some 4 lunch!!!

28. Charlotte says:

I completely agree with Jordan and Muriel. There is a lot of bias in the raw food and vegan community. Also, people are constantly talking about which type of diet is optimal, 80/10/10 for example. It gets a little annoying because it can consume your life and takes away the joy of eating.
    I myself include a little raw french cheese in my diet, occasionally wild salmon, and raw egg yokes… don’t get me wrong, i still eat pretty high raw with addition of cooked foods like sweet potatoes, quinoa, lentils, and some cooked veggies… I do believe that while maybe a 100% raw may work for some, it is not optimal for all.. Some people need to include high quality pastured organic poultry/meat and ‘clean’ fish.

I have a question for you and Annmarie, I know you guys have a low-fat diet but, in the winter, when you are in a cold climate, don’t you crave more fat??
    Good show! oh, and I love both hummus and baba ghanoush!

29. Tino says:

Dolmas …. I’m a big greek fan!

Go Pirates!

30. Brigitte says:

Hard to choose, but would have to say hummus just because it is so versatile and goes with everything.

Jordan, you bring up some excellent points. I have been wondering about all of these things myself, and because I haven’t yet found the answers, I tend to flip flop with my dietary regime. A person above makes the point about the Eskimos possibly needing a more fat diet because of the climate they live in. However, this is just the one scenario and doesn’t take into account all of the centenarians that eat animal products and don’t live in frigid climates. I tend to favor a more vegetarian diet myself due to spiritual reasons, but have to confess that so many vegetarians/vegans really don’t look too great. As they get older they start looking really “tight” somehow. I realize that our ideas of what a person should look like may be twisted because we are so used to seeing more “beefed up” (excuse the pun) people in general and maybe shouldn’t expect the “norm” to be like this. However, to see every bone and sinew and skinnyness like in so many vegans also doesn’t seem right. When you look at animals in the wild they are generally lean but with well developed muscles, not so emaciated looking. I know that it makes sense to eat cleanly and not consume fried, greasy, chemical-laden and sugary foods. However, beyond that I’m beginning to wonder if the answer doesn’t lie in how our ancestors ate, i.e. fruits and berries, veggies, legumes, nuts and seeds, and some occasional meat or fish. Granted the body does adapt genetically, but it couldn’t adapt that much in a few thousand years. It does seem that refined grains are not good for you, at least in any significant quantity, because the teeth of ancient cultures reflect a lot of tooth decay with the introduction of these foods. Too much stress, pollution of the water, air and soil, etc., also contribute to disease and probably hinder our proper digestion and assimilation of any of the foods we eat.

Any other thoughts by anyone? Like Jordan, I’m very interested in this.

31. Thanks Shannon and Anasha Sol for responding. I will have to check out Paul’s site.

I am very interested in this discussion and would love it if there was a forum or something similar on the site.

When switching to a raw food or vegan diet, there is a detox to some degree but I do not believe it takes years for everything to start working properly especially when the body is getting what it needs. Health comes quickly and when it doesn’t, it doesn’t and changes need to be made. I believe true health does not take years to obtain. At the extremes, it might take a couple of years for the body to get back to health but after being on a certain diet for many months and people are not thriving, I don’t think that it is merely because of detox or other such notions and doesn’t explain why after many months or even years many people simply do not thrive on a vegan diet. When the body is getting the proper food and nutrition it needs, it thrives. Stored toxins are easily eliminated, metabolic disturbances are balanced and health takes over the body. I truly believe the only reason why vegans and raw foodists suffer for years on this diet is because they are desperately hanging on to the ideals. It’s like giving up a part of your identity; your lifestyle. That’s why I believe so many people contribute merely surviving to detoxifying.

My inquires stem from having never seen more dogma in a community than the raw food and vegan community. I believe that it is this dogma that has created such a close minded approach to health. I truly believe some of the raw food preachers, before making any needed adjustments to their diet(if any) will die before they ever admit that maybe they didn’t know it all.

I don’t feel that the raw food and vegan communities are acting in the highest purpose and I would like to propose a change. A change to open mindedness. To look at the evidence with out opinions or biases even if the evidence doesn’t fit with what is thought to be a known truth. Isn’t optimum health the reason why we all turned to this style of eating? I agree that the vegan and raw food diet works very well for many people, but there are just as many people who have tried it and failed. Could it be that animal products do contain nutrients that some of us need to thrive? I would love to see a raw foodist or a vegan stay open minded even when they them selves follow a certain way of living or eating. That would be a great teacher indeed. Kevin, I believe you are one of those people and it is for that reason why I watch your shows and comment on this blog.

Kevin, my apologies for using your site to vent some of my frustrations and inquires.
    Have you ever thought about running a forum on the site? That would be magical!

32. Marie1225 says:

Kevin and Annmarie,

That is a very difficult question. Mediterranean food is my favorite. I would probably say hummus is my favorite, and dolmas are second. I do adore tabouleh though. Hummus is a cooked food that I won’t give up. I enjoy it too much, and I think its extremely healthy. It is also easy to make with a food processor. I also love fatoush.

Thanks again!

33. Sara says:

Love the outfit. Go ECU Pirates!!!!!!!!!!!

34. Tamara says:

Definately babaganoush, although I make one awesome hummus!! I need to try the sprouted green lentil hummus Barbara mentioned-that sounds GREAT!

35. Charlotte says:

Wow, Jordan makes excellent points in his second posting as well..
    Kevin you should definitely do a show addressing this…

Also, I have another question.. Do you not eat meat, even occasionally, (really good quality of course) because of ethical reasons?

Also, back when you started (at the beginning) a whole food raw diet, did you eat any meat/poultry/fish at all?? If so, when and for what reasons did you stop???? please answer, it would make for a very interesting show.

36. Tracey says:

Hummus, and falafel!! Have you guys done a raw food falafel yet? I will look around. I’m a falafel addict.

Jordan asks very cool questions, I think. One thing I like about what the Gianni’s are doing, is that they are presenting all this info and recipes, without hitting people over the head with percentages and food purity dogma.

I was vegan for about ten years, maybe eleven. It was for the animal suffering reasons. Really broke my heart, still does. However, I got sick, long story short, and had to eat some meat again. Turns out I have that trendy affliction, Celiac Disease. Was seriously iron low, and stuffed beef down my gullet for 5 years.

My plan now is to eat the healthiest fish I can, (low mercury and wild, like our Pacific salmon), some cooked foods like brown rice/quinoa and sweet potatoes, some sheep feta, and then incorporating the raw food thing with most vegetables. Ani Phyo’s recipes are great. I bought my first juice extractor too.

So ironically, the diet I am following is almost exactly like my Italian ancestor’s diet. Just happened that way!

Always ask questions. 😉

37. Thanks Connie, Muriel, Brigitte and Charlotte for your responses and support:)

38. Deborah Nina says:

Mmmmm … you could try using sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts … and sunflower seeds make a great substitute for pesto too 😉

39. Dawni says:

Oh yum,,,hummus and Baba…it’s been a really longtime though.

I love this dialogue you have instigated Jordan — Weston Price Foundation did an amazing study as you’ve noted. And what it got down to for each indigenous population was their source of EFAs/oils. He assessed the health of these populations based on the bone structure in their faces, jaw and teeth and it was astounding.

There is a community of people who eat meat raw and claim great health benefits. Naturally, raw meat has the enzymes in place that help with digestion. The purchase the meet from animals raised free from all the practices we abhor and have that meet brought into a central location where they pick up their orders in designated places. Los Angeles has a group pickup place. They are rather clandestine. When I ate raw dairy products — I used to buy from a pickup spot as raw dairy is illegal in Virginia. Weston Price is helpful as a clearinghouse for some of these products.

I like what you are proposing in terms of inquiry. I have no attachment to meat, so I am looking for the best plant based combination for me.

What I remember from the lifestyles of those who live into their 100’s, was mineral-rich foods for many decades of their life, general contentment with life, moderation w/their vices and a
    shared life.

Let’s have this deeply meaningful dialogue and keep the High Raw experiment going with an environment that supports each person to find what is optimal for them.

Dawni…

40. LuAnn Agustin says:

My favorite is hummus, but here is a recipe for those that want it:

Baba Ghanoush
    1 eggplant chopped
    2 TB tahini raw
    1 juice lemon
    2 cloves garlic
    3 TB olive oil
    sea salt to taste
    paprika to taste, as garnish
    Directions:
    Process eggplant, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. Pulse until smooth and creamy.
    Spread onto a plate, drizzle with a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt and paprika.
    Serve with fresh veggies.

41. Kam says:

Hello,
    I want to add a little point to what have Jordan started.
    Know that raw meat and fresh raw meat makes a big difference. Muscles of freshly killed animal are ful of sugar so liver is, this sugar becomes lactic acid withou oxygen very soon, notice that predators or eskimos, first thing they eat from their prey are entrails, so they got stuffed with sugar, same thing we do while eating fruits. Eskimo´s bodies went long way to addapting cruel weather. Their vitamin C income is from hypodermic fat of their prey(sea-calf) for example, there are some differences between ours and their metabolism, plus their life lenghts was shorter in history.
    Next point is that there are very little genetic diversity in human population, we went trough bottle neck in history, where there was just around 2000 of living person on the earth. So probably there shouldn´t be such a drastic difference in our “native” diet while having ancestors from mild weather.
    For me for example works low fat raw best. But it took some time untill I was able to figure this out. I gotta eat big amounts of raw stuff, can´t be compared to portions of cooked food:).I am not skinny, I would be happy to shed some ponds;) Last time I was to see my doctor she told me she though I was twenty, I am 12 years older:).
    I would like to see some comments from Kevin about results from raw diet as well:). I think we are talking about how those people do age. Becouse many people claims they got healed from many diseases, including me, but that is not something one can see from pictures on web.
    Apologies for my English.

Kam.
    P.S.:Tabouleh!

42. eyla says:

Jordans post was really great.
    And Kam’s too.

It’s good to see that people aren’t blindly following what others tell us is right, without loooking into it ourselves. I think that is how mainstream nutritional ideas have been set in stone, and for whatever reason, be it trust, lack of access to info etc, and some of these ideas of nutrition are way off in my estimation.
    I am grateful for the fact that studies and research exist, however I think we really need to delve a bit deeper, and also consider the possibility that some of this research could be funded by big industry that would benefit from what they are producing having scientific endorsement and research behind it.
    I truly, and sadly believe that money has such power and influence.

There also seems to be elements of that ‘dogma’ in raw circles too, we need to question everything before we accept it as fact.

Jordan, ‘the China Study’ by T Colin Campbell might interest you, as it goes into studies that span decades, looking into the role animal products play in our health and the links between various diseases and animal proteins.
    Also in addition to Kam’s comment, The innards of herbivorous animals eaten by inuit people also contain plant matter, adding to the nutrients that can be found in the animal.
    The meat and is almost always hung and fermented, which lets the enzymes in the meat pre-digest the meat, taking away the need for so many of their own bodies enzymes to be used, leading to, in my reading, stronger and healthier bodies then someone who would cook their meat.
    Also, fermenting can increase nutrient contents of foods, or free them up.

Interesting fact…Eskimo translates as; he eats it raw!

This info comes from a book I am reading called ‘Enzyme nutrition’ by Dr Ed Edward Howell.
    This book was written some time ago so I plan to see if there is info out there to update or further this knowledge, if it exists!

I’m always interested to hear more ideas about this, if they have a good source of research.
    🙂

43. kaz says:

yay Kam – another Tabouleh fan. With fresh picked parsley can’t be beat 🙂

44. ginger says:

fascinating discussion. thanks jordan.

i read somewhere that primitive tribes that hunt and eat fresh raw meat as a major part of their diet also eat the contents of the herbivores’ stomachs and intestines, which would be plants, like mosses. i wonder if this is true and whether this would be a significant factor in their health. also it would be interesting to know their life span before the influence of white settlers. if the effects of physical injuries, hypothermia, traumatic childbirth, famine,infectious diseases and parasites were taken out, would they have been known for their health and longevity?

anyone read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell? from memory, i believe there is overwhelming evidence that genetics plays a small part in health because the most disease-free villages in china were those where animal-based food was no more than 10% of the calories in their diets. and when these people adopted a more western diet [without even moving to a western country] they began to get all our chronic degenerative diseases like cancers, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, alzheimers, etc. i don’t know if the china study identified the proportion of raw vegan food in their diets.

45. jason says:

How about sprouted quinoa or another grain for the dolma filling? Another rice substitute could be winter squash.

Jordan and others: If I correctly remember the documentaries on the Inuit (Eskimos) we watched in High School, then they did eat their meat raw.

Interesting take on the ‘Does raw food make you feel cold?’ question.

46. Carachi says:

I’d go for Baba Ganosh, any time!
    But I have not been able to make it raw…
    Any tips are very appreciated!

I kind of have made a more palatable aubergine by marinating it in oik/water/lemon/tamari for a day or two… but I have not gone as far as making Baba Ganosh out of it…

47. Leam says:

Really interesting responses today. I not only appreciate this show for the content you share but also for all of the additional insights from everyone watching and responding.

I like hummus best.

Jerusalem artichokes make be good in place of the nuts. Or sunflower sprouts.

48. zyxomma says:

I refuse to choose among delicious foods to pick a favorite! That’s like asking a mother to pick her favorite child!

Two recommendations for this recipe: the collards can be massaged with Himalayan salt to approximate the texture of grape leaves (which are thinner and softer than collards). Easier to chew that way, as well as easier to wrap. Second, a great way to lower the fat content is to process Jerusalem artichoke (sunchoke) for most or all of the pine nuts (I use 3 parts sunchoke to 1 part pine nuts, since raw plant fat is not my enemy).

Health and peace to all.

49. Rene Oswald says:

Many people who are suffering with auto-immune diseases, candida, diabetes, etc. need to avoid the fruit, fat combination and may want to substitute something else for the raisins.

My favorite dolma stuffing is a cauliflower creation you can find at my website…http://rawfoodrene.com
    It’s video #18 under the ‘Free Video’ tab.

50. Arletty says:

The Greeks and the Turks have conflicts stretching way back; one of them is a culinary one. Though the Greeks claim that Dolmas are theirs, the Turks actually invented the recipe. They also invented the stuffed courgettes and aubergines. But in my opinion, the Lebanese perfected the dolmas, hummus, babaganoush and tabouleh. Sachten! (bon appétit as they say in Arabic)

51. Amanda Thompson says:

Back to Jordan’s Query… Just a few thoughts. It seems these indigenous peoples ate raw meats/fish in an environment not contaminated like the soils/waters of modern day. American’s who are carnivorous today, largely eat corn fed, ill animals trapped on feed lots piled with waste. It is likely that nothing eatten in moderation, if from a clean, pure source will harm us, however, will it benefit us? This in regard to consuming meat (which I do not in any form for spiritual/ecology reasons).Also, they likely eat roots, wild edibles, nuts etc… gathered in season and of course locally…unlike our current habits where foods come globally to us year round so we see things such as asparagus and tropicals even in winter.
    I highly recommend Barbara Kingsolver’s book entitled “Animal,Vegetable,Miracle”, (not from a raw/vegan/vegetarian perspective but) a “must read”, as it includes many awakening statistics such as; “This generation of children may possibly be the first in U.S. history to have a shorter life expectancy than their parents”, due to childhood obesity and diseases formerly only seen in adults. And “if every American ate just one meal (any meal of the day) sourced from local organically grown in-season produce, it could save an estimated 1.1 billion barrels of fuel oil/wk. (barrels not gallons) used in producing/harvesting and transporting said produce!” (Quotes Paraphrased)

52. Joan says:

Hummus and Tabouli – the other looks good, just haven’t tried yet!

53. junglegirl says:

Someone may have already said, but when you soak fatty nuts like mac’s, brazil or pinenuts for longer than 30 mins, much of the fat leaches out – you’ll see it floating on top of the water, usually. So leave them overnight if it’s a concern. Most raw vegans don’t need to worry about the fat in nuts – but I suppose an 80 10 10’er might find that helpful.

Also, fresh grape leaves aren’t very toothsome, that’s why they are always found brined (marinated) in stores.

54. Miriam Proefrock says:

Jordan, your thoughts are very interesting. I think the question is, do you feel wonderful eating meat? If so,then you should eat it. Look inward first. I think most people don’t listen to what their body is telling them. They rely on someone else to tell them how to live and eat. For me, eating raw makes me feel the very best. We live in a society now where hard physical labor is not what it used to be so our bodies don’t require the heavy fuel to maintain it. Even most farmers have the advantage of technology so they don’t have to work as hard. We also have central heating and air so our bodies don’t have to work hard to even maintain body tempurature. That being said I think raw is best for me.As for the centurians, I don’t know but the raw food movement is relatively new I believe so I don’t know of anyone that has lived their whole life raw. At any rate,these are just my thoughts.Certainly not fact as I am not too much of a researcher. Only those things that make common sense to me.

55. Nadia says:

Great conversation today… Thanks for starting it Jordan! I agree with one of the above posters that it is so great to read this discussion and see people questioning things rather than following along blindly to one thing or another. I think that the bottom line is to question things and to trust our instincts. In this day and age most of us are so far removed from our instincts that many cannot understand what our bodies are really in natural need of. One practice I follow is to stay away from labels. Whenever anyone asks me if I am a ‘vegetarian’, ‘vegan’, ‘raw foodist’, etc I refrain from labeling myself any of these and rather tell people that I mostly eat raw fruits and veggies but I am not strict and I listen to what my body’s needs are and try to adhere to that. I think labels such as these unconsciously tend towards closed mindedness and then when the body is in instinctive need of something outside of that label it is not even considered because the person has closed themselves off to anything that doesn’t adhere to the label they have given themselves.

Great discussion, Thanks Kevin for providing the platform.

Nadia

56. Genevieve says:

I love all Mediterranean food too, except grape leaves. Baba Ghanoush I make similar to the recipe above but with roasted eggplant. Don’t think I’d like it raw.

57. Thomas says:

Definitely interesting conversation today.
    An interesting article concerning Jordan’s thoughts and recent dietary trends:

and a cute article regarding the longevity of centenarians and their different diets:

Different strokes for different folks, apparently.

I do like the concluding sentence:
    “If there’s one thing we can say about centenarians, it’s that nothing bothers them.”

58. Vita says:

l always substitute sunflower seeds for pine nuts, which are a bit pricey. l have made this with half soaked sunflower seeds and half peeled zucchini, yumm!

59. Veronika says:

Dolmas all the way! If I make this recipe, I would definitely use cauliflower instead of pine nuts, which have the consistency of rice. Also, to me the #1 best part of eating a dolma is the olive oil dripping from your fingers. I would soak those collards in olive oil to soften them so they’re not crunchy, and then soak the whole dolma in olive oil like I’m used to. Hmmmm…good fats.

60. Debbie says:

Answer to Jordan, etc.
    Another thought as to why other cultures/people eat meat and stay healthy might have to do with their way of eating. They live a much less rushed lifestyle than we do and they eat together as a community or extended family all together and take their time and the meal lasts for hours where they talk and chew and probably digest their food better because they take the time to eat and chew properly and relax while they are eating and they are sharing the meal with others and enjoying their company. They probably digest their food better and thus get better nutrition from the food they are eating compared to our rushed, eat on the go, eat fast life style.
    I also agree with Nadia, we must listen to our bodies and do what feels good and feels right for us, individually, and not care about any labels. The goal is to feel good in body and mind.
    Very interesting conversation, thanks!

Also, the answer to Kevin’s question for me is HUMMUS! I love hummus and have many different recipes, olive hummus, red pepper hummus, etc.

61. Kym Hutcheon says:

I just wanted to add my thanks to Jordan for addressing the elephant in the room. After more than 20 years as a semi-veg (with some seafood and dairy, etc.), this is exactly the issue I am wrestling with now – both ethically and healthwise.

I think one key factor is that we are all seeking something so we latch onto information that supports what we believe we need. We become the choir that is being preached to.

Take the China Study for example. I feel extremely validated by its conclusions, but when I read critiques of it, such as on the Weston Price site, there are serious issues raised about how its numbers were obtained and crunched. Despite the massive scope of the study, it seems it was less than scientifically rigorous.

As with Jordan, I feel we need to take a step back and look at the wider picture. Personally, I would love to see more discussion of this point.

62. John says:

Tough choice, I really like Mediterranean food but I’d have to go with hummus. I make hummus a lot and it is very versatile too.

63. Julia says:

Hi, in Greece we call these Dolmadas. I make them with cropped up cauliflower instead of the nuts and wrapped them in lettuce leave. I find grape vineleaves to tough. They tend to soke them in a brine here to soften them for tradtional rice or rice and meat dolmadas. There’s a great book called The Raw Greek for some other ideas

64. bryant Arnold says:

Listen. Eat a bit of meat&(seafood) and Dairy with a brilliant blend of nuts and vegetables and it will be a satisfying fusion. Humans have been on top of the food chain for centuries. To a certain extent your body needs animal proteins. Whether you want or choose it. Eat smart!! What you WANT!!

65. If you eat grains, you can use soaked for few days rice or barley.

66. Cheryl Holt says:

Great show Kevin & Annmarie!

Hummus (jalapeno cilantro)is my fav !

Thanks for sharing this great recipe as I love stuffed grape leaves.

Happy Holidays!