Refreshing Raw Food Recipe for Arugala, Fennel and Pomegranate Salad – The Renegade Health Show Episode #422

Wednesday Oct 21 | BY |

This arugala salad recipe is a winner!

We love this fresh, full-of-life raw food salad. 🙂

Pomegranates are in season in the southwest and we had some amazing ones at Grace Grove in Sedona with our friends Morgan and Puma! (Thanks guys!)

Take a look and enjoy…

Your question of the day: What are you doing for Thanksgiving (if you celebrate it, of course!)?

Here’s the recipe:

Arugula, Fennel, and Pomegranate Salad Recipe

Dressing:

• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 1 red onion, minced
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp pomegranate juice

Wisk together

Garnish:

• 1 large fresh fennel bulb, trimmed, halved, very thinly sliced
• 1 8-ounce Fuji apple, halved, cored, cut into matchstick-size strips
• handful of pecans
• Pomegranate seeds
• 2 tbsp dressing

Rough chop in food processor

Salad:

• 6 cups Arugula

1. That looks amazing and fresh! Not sure if pomegranate is in season here (australia) but ill keep a lookout for it.
    And for a while now I’ve been wondering what kind of delicious raw food to make with fennel – I’m a huge fan of it and i sometimes makes this soup out of roasted fennel..

When I started watching the video I thought; its raining? what! i can not remember it ever raining on your show!
    guess you guys just travel with the sun :]

2. Jill says:

Yay the first one to comment! 🙂 Anyways, I will be doing what I normally do, celebrating it with my fiance at his brother’s house along with his brother’s wife, her kids, his mom and if he’s still here, my other brother in law to be.

3. Jill says:

Pomegranate is the fruit that grew in the Underworld and Persephone ate it during her time there living with Hades (Fall-Winter) before she goes back to her mother Demeter in Spring-Summer. Hope that helps Kevin!

4. karen says:

We go to Ocean Reef Club with family in FLorida!

5. Nancy Zare says:

I’ll celebrate Thanksgiving with my older brother and his family. He turns 70 the week before and requested a visit, not on his birthday, but Thanksgiving. My family is aware that I abstain from animal foods and are unaware that I’m now eating live foods. I offered to make dinner for them. Since my brother is very adverturous and somewhat of a gourmet, I’m sure he’ll enjoy with gusto. I haven’t decided on the menu yet. Suggestions?

6. Alicia says:

Thanks so much for the recipe, this will be my first Thanksgiving raw, and I need all the ideas I can. Will be with family for Thanksgiving.

7. Andy Reed says:

Gratefully I am here at Tree of Life for three months, so I will get to participate in their famous Thanksgiving Feast!!! Check out my facebook site for lots of posts from the Tree!
    Bless This Raw Food!!!
    much love to you all,
    andy

8. Betsy says:

I have a pomegranate tree, fruits are sour, any suggestion to make tree yield sweet fruits or how to eat this sour pomegrantes now, thx .

9. alice says:

In Ayurveda pomegranate is used to help women in menopause.

Also, there is an Indian adage that says you can tell if a man loves you if he has the patience to feed you a whole pomegranate seed by seed!

I totally didn’t answer the question of the day sorry 🙂 !

10. Shannon says:

Looks delicious! I love fennel . Too bad it’s raining here today … the last 4 or 5 days have been gorgeous. Try to check out Bliss if you can… I am sure they would be thrilled to see you guys show up. If you are still here tomorrow the Audubon society just south of dallas is a good place to get outside and hike around. So is Arbor hills in Plano … depending on where you are parked.

cheers, 🙂

11. Trista says:

Yum! I will make this one soon. Thanks for the recipe. I remember that Pomegranates symbolize fertility in ancient Greek and Roman art, and they are even in some of the christian symbolism. Dianne Onstad’s book “Whole Food Companion” is a great resource for lore and history as well as health benefits of foods and she lists the nutrition of the foods in raw state as well as cooked. She is a raw foodist I hear. Anyway this book is highly recommended.

12. taylor says:

Why do you guys core your apples? I eat the seeds and all! Everything but the stem! have you ever checked into the health benefits of eating the seeds of fruits?

I have an Afghan friend who was always taught to break open the inside of an apricot and eat the seed on the inside.

Check out their effect on cancer cells!

13. Karen Jackson says:

I always wondered about adding pomegranate seeds in recipes. I’ll be having Thanksgiving with my family in San Diego, CA. It was so nice hearing the rain!

14. Eva says:

Hi, thank you for sharing this lovely salad recipe – everything looks so easy to “cook”, when you are not cooking, but just adding fresh to the fresh! I’m planning to have some guests over who are not raw (yet ;-), and I’d like to introduce them to the raw dinner, so I will be collecting those recipes, let’s see what else might be new and exiting! What would it be a “centerpiece” for the Thanksgiving Dinner if you go raw??

15. john says:

Enjoy several of your videos ,especially the one where you were in a health store demonstrating how whole foods have various amounts of real electron energy whith the white box.Wish you would sell such a device so I can buy vegetables that have only the stongest light energy.By the way where can I buy one of those white boxes?

Enjoy kevin and your sincere genuine enthusism to tell people the TRUTH about health.I also enjoy marie your wife who is a very kind, honest well meaning and sincere ,caring and sharing person. You both are for real. And both smart . I myself have been influenced by many health books over the years or decades,but the one man and wife I am to this day most impressed with is Dr.Norman Walker,a christian. May God bless each of you thru good days and bad days.
    Ps. Enjoyed the other day when I believe you were in Oklahoma and at the end of the video how you ask your cat the question of the day and your cat with expession on its face wide eyed meowed right on Q. I got a kick out of that. Again God bless both of you. by by.

16. horst says:

CHECK

youtube
    How to cut open a pomegranate!!!!!!

17. Georgia, Australia says:

Best way to peel a pomegranate is to submerge it in water and ‘tickle’ the seeds out. The seeds fall out easily and sink to the bottom while the pith floats to the top making it very easy to scoop out. It’s a very effective method, you’re far less likely to bruise the seeds.

18. Dede says:

mmm – that looks great!! – – I wondered what part of the fennel I was suppose to be eating 🙂 – – now – I know!!! thanks!!, Dede

19. Linda Miller says:

Salad sounds and looks delicious. I loved the sound of the rain on your RV. You both look wonderfully healthy.

I will have my sons and daughter-in-law here. I always fix 2 meals. I fix a turkey for the meat eaters and then make a nut turkey or buy a Tofurkey for those of who don’t eat meat. That means 2 gravies and 2 dressings.

20. Page says:

It’s just my hub and me, so I’ll probably make a huge salad and fix some kind of hearty soup. (I’ll never be able to be 100% raw, I love hot soups too much!) I had a bowl of delicious sunchoke soup with chestnut butter at the National Museum of the American Indian last week in DC. I’m going to try and figure out how to make it.

21. Roseanna says:

That’s awesome guys.
    Serious matter though for all of us concerned we have less time that I thought to save organic farmers..
    go to this URL if you want the right to purchase, grow and sell all organic produce and more- really scary
    I phoned and emailed as it is the best way to reach Reps and Congressman!

22. Tiff says:

What am I doing for Thanksgiving? um making this recipe!! My husband, daughter & I always go hiking on Thanksgiving too. When the weather’s nice there are usually lot of people out doing the same thing.

23. Tyra McMahon says:

Been there and done the Thanksgiving meal. I live in Canada. By the way I though there was cyanide in apples seeds.

24. amy says:

Working on Thanksgiving day and then will meet family after work. Hopefully they will all have already eaten and I can eat some food provided and then the other stuff that I bring in a “stash” pack. Then we play games and drink wine and watch the football game. This will be the first year I actually look forward to NOT getting grossly stuffed!!

Thanks for all the shows you guys! I am saving up to buy some of your facial products, they sound mauvvvalous.

🙂

25. jodie says:

I’d love to see you make a pumpkin pie recipe.

26. Spyros Pan says:

Hi guys,

lovely salad by the way.

Here is an update on the myth of Pomegranates and Ancient Greek Mythology:

The myth of Persephone, the chthonic goddess of the Underworld, also prominently features the pomegranate. In one version of Greek mythology, Persephone was kidnapped by Hades and taken off to live in the underworld as his wife. Her mother, Demeter (goddess of the Harvest), went into mourning for her lost daughter and thus all green things ceased to grow. Zeus, the highest ranking of the Greek gods, could not leave the Earth to die, so he commanded Hades to return Persephone. It was the rule of the Fates that anyone who consumed food or drink in the Underworld was doomed to spend eternity there. Persephone had no food, but Hades tricked her into eating four pomegranate seeds while she was still his prisoner and so, because of this, she was condemned to spend four months in the Underworld every year. During these four months, when Persephone is sitting on the throne of the Underworld next to her husband Hades, her mother Demeter mourns and no longer gives fertility to the earth. This became an ancient Greek explanation for the seasons. Dante Gabriel Rossetti’s painting Persephona depicts Persephone holding the fatal fruit. It should be noted that the number of seeds that Persephone ate varies, depending on which version of the story is told. The number of seeds she is said to have eaten ranges from three to seven, which accounts for just one barren season if it is just three or four seeds, or two barren seasons (half the year) if she ate six or seven seeds. There is no set number.

taken from en.wikipedia.org

cheers,

spyros

27. Giota P says:

Hello there!
    Thank you for the recipe, I’ll try that since I have pomegranates from my own tree 🙂
    I have to say that I am not a great fan of raw fennel. However I love fennel seeds! you can grind them over food or you can bring them to boil and make a delicious tea!

Best Regards

28. Annmarie, this recipe looks amazing! I recently discovered the joys of raw fennel at a Whole Foods salad bar. Put some on my salad and was in heaven!

We spend Thanksgiving with friends every year. But I have to tell you this. We’ve been doing TG at their house now for the past 6 or 7 years. When we first started, everything was cooked, but mostly vegetarian. Over the next couple of years, my family went vegan and I requested more vegan dishes at Thanksgiving and my friends were cool with that. (I have good friends! ; ) I’ve been doing raw now for a couple of years and last year only brought raw dishes to the dinner… and they got gobbled up (turkey pun intended ; ).

The other day, my friends and I sat down to plan the TG dinner. Interestingly, it’s all going to be vegan (except Mom is insisting on bringing turkey for her and Dad) and about half of it is going to be raw! It’s been so cool watching this transition! My friends have been riding sidecar on my food journey and it’s been so cool watching how my actions ripple out into my community!

I just wanted to share that as encouragement for others. If you act casual about it and just bring cool eats to potlucks, usually people just try it and then are totally turned on!

P.S. The big moment for me was when my friend’s son said he preferred my raw apple pie over Grammy’s cooked one! You should have seen Grammy’s shocked face! LOL!

Take good care,
    Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    Rite Food and Company

29. Kim says:

My fave way to get those great pomegranate seeds out is to give it a good whack all over with a metal spoon (just a heavyish desert or soup spoon will do the job). Then, just cut it in half and they’ll just about fall out by themselves – just have to pull out some chunks of the not so nice white pithy stuff.

As for the thanksgiving question – its not a custom here in Oz – but I like to think I’m thankful for everyday!

30. Leam says:

I love pomegranates! I was gifted a dwarf pomegranate tree that’s loaded with fruit but I didn’t know when they were ripe. Thanks for the tip about the skin splitting.

The salad looks so delicious. I think I would skip the processor and just slice the apple and fennel and scatter the nuts and seeds over the top. Really nice combination of colors and textures. Thanks for your great ideas.

Every day of life is worthy of giving thanks. A special meal with friends and family is a delight. A day set a side for gluttony in the guise of thankfulness isn’t so appealing to me.

31. Steve Margraf says:

Fantastic seasonal recipe, thanks guys! Pomegranates are in full season here in Sonoma, CA as well.

No rain here today, but we had a couple really good storms blow through. Bring on the rain, we need it!

We’re heading up to Cafe Gratitude in Healdsburg for their famous feast on Thanksgiving Day.

Keep up the great work guys, love the show

Steve and Cassie Margraf

32. Jill says:

@taylor: There is cyanide in apple seeds. All stone fruits (apricot, plum, peach, etc) seeds are poisonous, please don’t purposely eat them!

33. David says:

I would love to see Thanksgiving fruit recipe on your blog

34. Hello
    I like to try different types of food.This seems very delicious.I will definitely try this recipe in my weekend.Thank you very much for sharing such a tasty recipe with us.

35. Jill Mann says:

Your recipe looks wonderful. I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

36. ANITA STONE says:

AWESOME. I thoughtyou had to cook fennel. And I didn’t know how to cut it up to eat it.
    You can eat pomegranate seeds?
    Are they soft or hard?

37. Cindy says:

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the recipe. I’ve never eaten Pomegranate but I will now buy one and give this recipe a try.
    I am interested if you have any digestive issues after eating meals like this though, mixing fruit (apples) with anything but especially with fats (walnuts, olive oil)?
    Food combining really confuses me but I see alot of raw food recipes that use fruit with other things.
    I recently starting eating Quinoa and have found it tastes better with some apple/ pear/ or blueberries mixed in, and the naturpoath wants me to eat flaxseeds so i have been adding soaked ones as well. Not sure if I am doing the right thing but it tastes better than eating it alone. Your thoughts/ comments would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

38. Betty says:

Seeds are like green leafy veggies,if you rotate them you are ok.You don’t get that many at a time.Seeds have a lot of nutrition in them.

I will be with my 4 kids & their families at one of their homes.
    Love to eat dried fennel tops (just dry tops & put in blender & store as any other spice) on salads.
    God bless you all.
    Betty B.

39. Mamabird says:

My manbear and I are doing our first 100% raw Thansgiving. He’s healing from Diabetes,mild heart problems, extra weight,neuropathy in his legs, and COPD, through a raw food lifestyle. The miracles of raw really are a reality. We’ll be low key this year so as not to become influenced by sad food.

40. Mamabird says:

I’ll be adding your salad! Matt Amsden has a wonderful dressing/stuffing in his book Rawvolution. It’s nice when you want something heavy.

41. Eileen prendergast says:

The salad looks fantastic. i live in Australia and after i saw your recipe, I bought a pomegranate from the supermarket the other day, which came from the USA) It was the most beautiful sweet pomegranate I have ever eaten, Ours are not in season at present. The fruit never made it to the salad stage but I must get another and try you beautiful salad.

42. sheree says:

YOu guys are so cute. Yummy dish! We are not doing anything for Thanksgiving. Just hanging out DH and I.

43. Chris Bridges says:

There is a pre-patriarchy story that tells of Persephone willingly staying in the underworld because after she tasted the fruit of the Pomegranate her eyes became clear and she saw all the beauty and majesty of the netherworld and fell in love with Lord Hades. I9 like that story better.