Vegas-Style Superfood Smoothie – The Renegade Health Show Episode #402

Wednesday Sep 23 | BY |

Sorry for the delay today on the show…

I was running at a state park in Nevada today and when I got back to my car realized some moron had broken in and stolen my wallet and IPhone. The rest of my day was filled with police reports and credit card cancellations.

Exactly what I was looking forward to when I work up this morning. 😉

So Annmarie and Oxsana filled in for today’s show! This smoothie recipe is intense. With all the ingredients you might even think it would taste awful… but I assure you, I tried a bit and it was amazing. 🙂

Vegas is known for excess, so that’s why this one is “Vegas-Style”.

Enjoy, and yes, you don’t need to include all the ingredients for this one to still be awesome! LOL!

Your question of the day: What is your favorite source of fiber?

Here’s the recipe:

Vegas-Style Superfood Smoothie

Base:

Two inches (in vita-mix) of hot tea any combo you like we used Ginseng Vitality Teavana Tea
¼ cup cashews
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 drop full of stevia
1 tbsp local raw honey
2 pinches of salt
1 tsp hemp seeds (optional)

Blend on high for 30 secs

1 Banana
Big handful of frozen berries
2-3 tbsp cacao
1 tbsp maca
1 tbsp tocotrienols
1 tbsp barley protein
2 tbsp chia seeds
½ tsp mucuna
¼ tsp ashwagandha
1 tbsp mesquite
1 tsp shilajit
1 tsp MSM
1 tbsp Green Powder (RevitaPhi)
1 tsp hemp protein powder
Full up Vita Mix with either Coconut Water or Nut Milk

Blend and take hold 😉

1. Nadia says:

Hey Guys,

Sorry to hear about your stuff getting ripped off. Not a fun way to spend a day! Hope that doesn’t leave you with a bad impression on our fun little town of Vegas. Will you be doing any events while you are in Vegas? Or if not a formal event, even an informal meet up? Would love to meet you two and the kale whale while you are here! Please let us know if you will be available while you are in town.

Hope to see you and always wishing you well,
    Nadia

2. Tanya says:

wow if somebody could make this for me that would be great, but a little to much work for me.

3. RW says:

Kev, if the thieves still have your iPhone and its still working the authorities could track them down with its GPS system.
    My favorite fiber source is chia seeds because it can be added to so many other foods.

4. Debbie says:

So sorry to hear about the break-in. You just need to remember, What goes around, Comes around! They will get theirs. You need to teach Jonny Five to be a watch cat! 🙂

As for the smoothie, too many sugars for me. I like to keep it simple. Love your shows, please keep up the wonderful work you do. You have no idea how many people you help. God Bless you both!

5. Veronica says:

That seems like WAY too many ingredients for your body to digest at one time! Whatever happened to the good ole’ banana-blueberry- spinach-water smoothie? And it only took me about 1-2 minutes to make this morning and it’s pretty inexpensive too! I think less is more when it comes to smoothies imo:)

6. Kym Hutcheon says:

As for fiber, it’s not raw, but I like brown rice. Not to be indelicate but getting a lot of, say, spinach in your system at a time is going to clean the pipes but it can be pretty agressive. I find the rice is, uh, a little more reliable, timing-wise. Practicalities.

7. Irina says:

Thank you for the show. But with all of this combined this smoothie would be too heavy for my digestive system. The simplier the better, bisides I prefer low fat diet.
    See you tomorrow guys.
    Irina

8. Debra says:

Sorry about the break in! The beauty of smoothies is you can dump a bunch of yummy stuff in and get a milkshake.

9. heatherp says:

Wow loved this smoothie. This is the sort thing I would make. Thanks Oxsana for adding your tips from your experiences. A thought about the changing taste when you make this. Apart from how/when ingredients are added I find that taste changes according to what sort of energy you are giving off when you make food. Food always tastes amazing when made with love 🙂
    Question about chia seeds. Are they added as the seed intact (that’s the only way I’ve seen them here in Australia) or is there a ground up version?
    Regarding fibre. Apart from all the fruit and vege I eat I also add Puffed amaranth to any cereal I eat in the mornings. Protein and fibre, bonus.

10. Katrina says:

I love Kim’s comment “Wow, you should call that the NASA smoothie, because it pretty much seems like rocket science.” Awesome.

Also like the idea of Johnny 5 turning Yoda on any trespassers. Glad they didn’t get your computer!

I use ground flax every day for fiber on salads and whatever else I might be eating. Also, when I just want straight fiber and water I will use a mix of ground flax, wheat bran and oat bran – this is typically just as an extra ‘flush’ with lots of water to clear stuff out.

Keep up the great work!

11. Great to see you – Annmarie take over today.. I enjoyed this smoothie show but not sure I will be making this anytime soon even though it looks YUMMY…

12. Erin says:

you guys are hard-core. that smoothie is no casual affair. hemp and flax, BOING!

13. Pamme says:

Not a big fan of mixing nuts and fruit! Thanks, though.

14. STeLLa says:

so sorry to hear of you guyz getting ripped off! :(( very frustrating for sure!

i really enjoyed learning about all the new super foods!!! i love making smoothies like that too. i know that simple low sugar & low fat green smoothies are the best for my system, but i need to have fun with my raw food diet too. it’s like if were frustrated & bored that could make us go back to cooked foods….sooo a little cacao here & there,,,,well at least it’s not mac Donalds, krispy creme donuts or crack cocaine!!! LoL!! about all those superfood she showed, I love doing new things!!! i already use maca & cacao, and sirolina, OMG ginko, eyebright, irish moss, blue green algea, young coconut, vanilla, stevia, blueberries,,,so much stuff. and it’s fun!!!
    i’m now totally excited to try tocotrienols, mucuna, ashwagandha, mesquite, & shilajit!!! i found learning about that smoothie challenging in a good way. keep it coming!!!!
    Oxsana seems very interesting and creative in her approach to raw foods. it would be nice to her more about her & what she does in the raw foods movement.

my new favorite fiber source is chia seeds, i’ve been making my own version of your chia pet porridge alot. i love yr shows!!!!!

about fiber, At one point i was blending avocado pits in my green smoothie with a 3.5 hrs power vita mix. i heard from some good sources that blended advocate pits was an extremely soluble fiber. and once again , it was just fun to do. Also for fiber, i like to eat lots of dark greens; kale, collard, chard, etc…& eat the stems!!!

again thanx for the FaBuLoUs show!!!
    be careful & take care on yr journey,

xoxo
    STeLLa

15. Cindi says:

wow… so sorry about the break in… that is awful… hmmm the smoothie looks great.. and jam packed with lots of good stuff… i will have to work up to that one as i do not have any of those things on hand…. but someday… and i am keeping the receipe… ty… oh and onto another subject.. i got your tooth soap and brightener and i love it.. i have not been using it for long yet but i really like it.. ty.. have a great nite guys…
    smiles, me

16. Sharon says:

Very interesting show! I think I’m lazy when it comes to smoothies. Mine seldom have more than 5 ingredients.

Fiber? Isn’t all raw food full of fiber?

17. Dustin says:

Wow, that is a smoothie on steroids. A la Daniel Vitalis elixir style :). Love it!

18. Mary says:

Great Smoothie! We use lots, actually tons of fruit as our fiber. We have fruit in the morning and for lunch, sometimes with smoothie too, then, fruit before dinner which is a huge salad with nut pates, raw olives, etc. and dressing of orange juice and walnuts blended.

19. LuAnn Agustin says:

I’ve been blessed with a cast iron digestive system, thank Goodness.
    I do prefer simpler ingredients. Though I do rotate fruits and leafy greens in season and add flax, sometimes hemp seed and bee pollen.
    Kev, I hope you recover your property.
    Annmarie, great job!

20. horst schmidt says:

KISS…keep it SIMPLE …STUPID
    WHY didn’t she put in FIFTY INGREDIENTS!!!!!
    typical IGNORANT HEALTH FREAK…SPARE ME…
    like a consumer…bags…boxes…glasses…

21. rose says:

fun smoothie.
    i make mine cheap,cheerful and green.
    i guess if i had disposable income i’d be tempted to go overboard with super ingredients!

22. rose says:

ps: flax seeds are probably the fibre that keeps things moving for me. i add it to my smoothies; so flax (soaked) fruit, greens, water, cinnamon, allspice, slippery elm, sometimes lecithin, protein powder, stevia/honey…

23. Suki says:

Wow I’m surprised by so many negative comments about this recipe! I tend to keep my stuff simple as well but this is just another example of all the great stuff out there that you can use! New stuff I love hearing about! Thanks!

24. Nathalie says:

Hi…
    Woswer :O

Thanks for sharing this super-dooper superfood smoothie!

May I ask, (hope its not a silly question!)is there such a possibility where one can add too many food items to one sitting?
    Where our body could not actually digest all the ingredients instead they would just pass through us being expensive excretions?

My personal best fibre source is definitely from fruit and when I distance from it my body shows signs almost immediately!

Cheers from Oz xx

25. Henrik Petersson says:

My best source of fiber the food I’m eating. Can’t imagine a raw foodist lacking fiber.

However, if I sometimes need to get things going a little extra I will soak a tablespoon or two of Psyllium seeds in a cup of water for an hour and then drink it.

26. natalya says:

I should try this, hope it’s digestible.
    I like a watermelon as a fiber rich food, also chia seeds work for me very well.
    Thank you for the episode!

27. Gillian says:

What are mucana and tocotrienols please.

Sorry your wallet and phone were stolen.
    Mine were stolen a couple of years ago, and last month my son had cash $200 stolen. I remember the feeling and my son was very disturbed also.

PS What is good for stomach virus that is afflicting our family, one by one at present.

Thanks. — Gillian

28. Christine says:

Sorry Kevin for the breaking in.
    Thanks Annemarie and Oxana for the smoothie recipe. I live in Europe and haven’t found chia seeds yet, and I do not know what is mucuna, mesquite and other stange sounding ingredients. So I rely on flax seeds, fruit, sprouts and green leaves.
    Thanks for the show, although I cannot watch any of the YouTube videos these days. There is an interrumption every other second, so it is very frustrating to watch.
    Blessings!

29. Deborah says:

Way too many ingredients for me at one time. I like to keep things simple. How many servings does this recipe make? To reduce it to serve one person would mean a pinch of this and that.

30. Irlanda Borquez says:

Sorry for the break in. As for the smoothie? I have to say, that must be really hard to digest, maybe you won’t be hungry for days, that’s crazy, I know those are superfoods, but why put that charge on your digestive system? it won’t be able to break that anyway, why not rotate all that superfoods for the week? Sorry I’m not trying that really, thank you for the wild foods conference though, Irlanda.

31. Hi guys,
    I had to share this with you:
    Last night my daughter and I were discussing family and food affairs (she and her husband are very SAD dieters.) She was at the grocery with her four children and told Theo, the oldest at 4 1/2 yrs, that he could choose a treat. He passed by the candy and neon-colored freezie pops and chose frozen fruit bars.(still packed with sugar but at least ‘natural’ ingredients) Here’s the good part; he looked up at his mother and asked,

“Mama, is this junk food?”

The dialogue begins…:)

32. Lisa says:

Thanks for sharing, guys…you’re always a super source of fresh ideas! As an 80% raw foodie, I’ve never had to watch my fiber intake…things always seem to move as they should 😉 . Thanks for your inspiration AND for sharing your cool friends!

33. geri says:

Hi, thanks for the smoothie, I for one would never do this. Nature is SIMPLE, we do not NEED all of this to stay healthy and have a Healthy Immune System.

God/Mother Nature whatever you wish to call the SOURCE of ALL things….made things simple..just like Breast milk

KISMIF
    Keep it simple and make if fun

Love to all,

Geri

34. Jessica says:

I love superfood smoothies and make one just as powerful with all of those ingredients everyday… David Wolfe/BDE style. An easy way to simplify this is to mix your desired amounts into one large jar, and use several tablespoons of that each time, not breaking out 10 separate jars of superfoods each day:)

35. Tyra McMahon says:

Ch-Ch-Ch-chia!!!!!

36. Leam says:

I’m so sorry about your possessions being stolen. What a horrible violation. Be grateful that it was just “things” and no one was harmed. I hope you are able to release the negative feelings and energy from your ordeal and find joy and peace today.

This smoothie is beyond me. Give me simply organic fruits, vegetables and pure water any day. Although the smoothie ingredients may be so called “super foods”, they are still all packaged and processed. I really don’t see the need or benefit. What is more nutritious; full of fiber, minerals, vitamins, water and vitality – fresh, live food or processed/packaged “super food”?!

37. Tommy says:

Slippery Elm Bark powder is the best. That stuff works like magic.

That smoothie was off the hook! But I have to agree with my boy Kev, I don’t do cacao.

-T$

38. Flax Seed Meal & Chia Seed!

39. Didiydi says:

I’m experimenting with chia seeds lately.

I think many raw fooders start complicated at the beginning, it’s very efficient way to deal with cravings. Some people probably stay on the path of liking to mix many things, but it seems to me majority moves to simple dishes. This smoothie is a great way to start experimenting, and get hooked on raw! Thanks Annemarie and Oxana for posting!

40. Lynn says:

I loved this show!!! I make a very similar smoothie as well and it is my biggest meal, I usually just have some fruit and maybe a salad for the rest of the day. Mine has milk thistle seed mylk, lemon juice, tea made with various herbs, goji berries along with the CocoBiotic (from Body Ecology) that I soak the berris in, coconut oil, tocotrienols, lethicin, ashwaganda, cordyceps, astralaugus (some of these spellings may not be spot on), camu camu powder, colostrum, honey,bee pollen, vanilla, stevia, vegetarian protein powder, spirulina, chlorella, green tea extract, a varitey of seaweed I ground in my coffe grinder (I don’t like the consistancy of seaweed), vitamineral green powder, Raw Perfectfood (green powder by Garden of Life), and tons of forzen fruits. I absolutely LOVE it. I’m not kidding!!! I literally lick the hand blender I mix it with. It is such a treat, and it’s my meal, how much better can you get than that!!!

41. Brent says:

Hi guys, sorry to hear about the burg. I lost my phone the other week so I know what its like to be without it..sucks!:(

Great smoothie btw looks delicious however, 50 ingredients and $50 later..still think wheatgrass is far superior in nutrition and for fibre..sprouts:)

42. Susan Bessette says:

Too much trouble. My smoothies are mainly 5 ingredients plus a spirulina blend. It did look good, but who has all that stuff?

43. Jenny says:

CARROTTS!!!!!!!!! It like calling Rotorooter!!!! The best bowel cleanser EVER!!!!

So sorry to hear about your breakin Kev, that really sucks!

I make a pretty potent green smootie everymorning too, which holds me till 3PM.

Love your vids guys!

44. Sheryl says:

To many ingredients – hemp & cocoa is a drug – wake up people!!! Mushrooms are funguses..

45. Heidi says:

Sorry to see so many negative comments. I’d love to try the smoothie. Won’t likely make it, but I love to see what other people are making and incorporate new things into my diet. So she uses containers, so what. Love to learn new things and about new foods, especially ‘superfoods’.

46. Cindy says:

I thought it was not good for digestion to add fats (nuts0 to smoothies. I thought it was best to just add greens with fruit.
    Also i don’t know what alot of the ingredients are.
    Maybe a show on these ‘additives’ and what they are and there uses would be a great idea.
    Thanks guys and sorry to hear about the break in.
    Just makes you mad that some people don’t respect other people ,things and property.
    At the end of the day you and Annmarie are okay and it is just replaceable stuff. Although the inconvenience and violation is not nice to deal with but knowing how you are Kevin it will not keep you down for long.
    Have a great day

47. Carol says:

I’m from Vegas too and would love to hook up with the raw foodists there. Any way I can get in contact with Oxsana via e-mail? You can give my e-mail to her and she can contact me if she wants. Right now I don’t know any one else in Vegas who is raw foodist, so it would be nice to have some friends who are!!!

48. teri says:

may the slots in vagas reject your $$$ and get the guy locked up for a long time
    Did ya try to call your iphone and tell the jerk to give it back. guess it could have been worse and the whole Kale whale and Jonny 5 could be kidnapped. guess its time for an unusual alarm system…
    ewwww next time leave an ol phone and fake wallet out.

sending lov and safty to you both

49. Naomi says:

So this looks awesome! AND whoah, it really makes me realize how many powders (packaged in plastic from all over the world) we use especially in the raw/superfood world. I am grateful for this one cause it makes me see that in myself. It helps me to understand that simplicity and freshness have great value and benefit. Isn’t that the true basis of raw?

Also, you are all amazing!! Let’s keep up the great work…

much love and more power to ya –
    Naomi

50. Eileen says:

Hello –

so sorry you were vandalized. 🙁 hope there’s a silver lining…

favorite fiber: can’t beat ground raw flax, with all those EFA’s.

hey, you guys have me HOOKED on whole fruit smoothies now! I used to use juice. I can’t BELIEVE the nutritional punch of the whole fruit ones! Yesterday I got 9-10 servings fruit and veg in mine, and it tasted divine. Also was less than 350 calories and had 15 g of fiber! (Fiber RDI for women = 21-30) So I have to post the recipe, and THANK YOU for enlightening me:

3/4 c water
    Apple, fresh, cored
    1.5 c Spinach, fresh
    blackberries, frozen
    mango, frozen
    banana, frozen
    aloe, 2″ square, fresh, peeled
    ginger, 1 thumb, fresh, peeled
    1 tsp EFA/DHA oils
    1 serving Green Powder

Blend, add ice cubes, blend again. YUM!

51. Mae says:

flaxseed

52. Doug from Dallas says:

WAAAAY too many ingredients, 5 or less for me also for smoothies. AND they are probably my best source for fiber, works like a charm.

53. Larry Oz says:

Boyfriend Commentary:

I think Kevin’s initial comments about this smoothie being excessive and “vegas-style” inspired some of the negativity. There are a lot of amazing, nutrient rich ingredients in this smoothie. It packs an amazing punch and tastes great. Try it before you knock it!

Oksana makes this smoothie for us a few times a week and we’ve enjoyed playing around with combinations for some time. For those of you who say there is too much in this smoothie I suggest you try it and see how you feel. ALWAYS DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT TO YOU. What’s good for me may not be good for you. BTW we also add fresh aloe and Irish Sea Moss to the smoothie as well. OMG! Yes, more ingredients! We live life on the edge :p

For me this smoothie rocks and gets my busy day rolling to a terrific start. Like anything, all things are good in moderation so we back off the smoothie every couple days and do something different.

Give it a try and don’t forget to sm:)e!

Cheers.

54. Mike says:

I have been putting together ‘smoothies’ like this for almost a year now and I must say they really serve me well! Some days i do prefer a simple 5 ingredient smoothie. But with a more elaborate calorie dense smoothie, I can sip on that all day from morning until dinner with plenty of energy. This is not the type of smoothie you down in 2 minutes and run out the door….This is the type of smoothie you can ice down, put in a thermos and bring with you to sip from all day. If you work an outdoor type of job(construction, landscaping, etc…) where you don’t have easy access to a kitchen or a health food market nearby this is the smoothie you want to have with you! I think she is doing a great job for all RAW foodists everywhere! Lighten up out there people, the only way this (raw)movement is going to expand is if you meet people where THEY are at, simple smoothies have their place and NASA style smoothies have their place, both are RAW tools everyone should have in their “toolbox” including YOU.

55. Pam says:

Wow, that’s really superfoods galore! Guess what? I’m calling friends after this to pick things up for me and invite them over for a superfood overload smoothie come weekend.

Thanks for this! 🙂

56. That looks amazing! No kidding! Way outta my league tho, i’m a poor uni student and im currently cutting back on superfoods (maybe not voluntarily?).
    I must say that Naomi (above) raised a good point; lots of packaging and i’m also worried about the food miles for superfood (hence, buying local, organic and seasonal produce is the best for the environment).
    I just googled Ashwagandha since i’ve never heard of it and one thing that made me giggle was wikipedia telling me that “Ashwagandha in Sanskrit means “horse’s smell”, probably originating from the odor of its root which resembles that of sweaty horse.”
    Now that’s golden!

I have a question, that has sorta been passed on from worried family and friends; where can raw vegans get B12 vitamin from?

Keep rocking guys!

57. Irene says:

I think this is way too many ingredients for me too. I like to keep things simple & not overwhelm my digestive system.

58. GoRawMe says:

Vegas style smoothie … well all I can say is that I’m glad I don’t live in Vegas! Seems to me that this would completely undo your Bikram workout, but then again, not being a smoothie junkie I just can’t relate. Sure looked like you had fun Annmarie. Very sorry to hear that Kevin was not having as much fun.

59. Ann Marie Huntington says:

Kevin, I lived in Vegas for 26 yrs and raised 3 beautiful girls there and they all turned out great, But remember it is the GANG and METH capital of the world. Never leave anything of value in your car. My mom always told me that whatever happens to you in life, just say ‘This is what I need” I hate to sound blunt ( I love u guys ) but who’s the moron here, for leaving valuables in your car? You still have your life, Thank GOD for that. Desperate people do desperate things. Please let me know in the future what good came out of this, because, trust me , something will, mark my words. By the way, great smoothie!

60. Jill says:

Sorry to hear about your stuff being stolen, I don’t know how I missed this show. My favorites are Shredded Mini Wheats and popcorn! 🙂