What We Feed Jonny 5 (Our Cat) and a Marinara Sauce – The Renegade Health Show Episode #388

Thursday Sep 3 | BY |

Funny combination, huh? 🙂

We don’t feed our cat marinara sauce… but we do feed him a specialized diet.

Today, I’ll talk just briefly about his diet and then I’ll let Abeba Wright take over and show us her quick and easy raw marinara sauce.

So simple it hurts!

Your question of the day: What is your favorite pizza topping (Abeba was making the sauce for a raw pizza!)?

Quick and Easy Raw Food Marinara Sauce

1 1/2 Cup Sundried Tomatoes
1 Cup Roma Tomatoes
1 Tablespoon Raisins
1/8 cup basil
Oregano to Taste
Sea Salt to Taste

Blend. Add water as needed.

1. Tara Burner says:

Dont think I have a fav topping…garlic, thyme, basil?

and while I’m vegan and have 2 dogs that lean towards vegetarian so glad to see that you guys realize Jonny 5 needs his meat, etc. Cats are totally different than dogs, etc. 🙂

2. Hi guys, Pizza? I used to be huge pizza junky before going 99% vegan. Hawaiian used to be my absolute favorite. The ham is oh so unappealing now but pineapple still has to by my favorite pizza topping. I haven’t eaten much pizza since turning vegan just because nothing seems to come close to my old favorite food. Just thinking about it now makes we want to use that 1% for pizza. Yumm…..Pizza……..In all seriousness, I’d love to find a good vegan recipe for pizza, one raw and one cooked. Any one have any favorites they’d like to post? Thanks for all great stuff Kev and Ann. PS. My mom’s cat has a tumor that causes him to have leaky ass (that’s the official name)most likely from a life time diet of poor quality dry cat food. I’ve been using a combo of red clover, cats claw, slippery elm, maitake extract, shiitake extract, coriolus mushroom, dandelion root, milk thistle extract, black radish root and burdock root to treat him but doesn’t seem to be working. Any suggestions???? Thanks

3. Tara Lehner says:

Oh My Gosh Jordan, I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time. You really should make up an alternate name for the cat’s disease, but really too funny, especially on here. That totally made me stop thinking about Pizza! I would have to say though, that my favorite pizza topping would have to be bell peppers. Yummo.

4. Nathalie says:

Oh my gosh you want me to choose just one!!

Hmmm, basil comes to mind fIrst but I looove garlic, sundried (dehydrated) tomatoes and fresh tommies too, and raw olives.
    Sorry once I get rolling I go with it! They are my devine inclusions or must haves for a perfect pizza! 😉

I loved hearing about Jonny 5.
    Looking forward to hearing where his name came from and where you picked him up from though just as much 🙂

Oh yeah, how do you both play with him? Or what with??

My sweet lil’ ratbag, Tessa wouldn’t play with any bought toy, so I got creative and now make them, and she is addicted! I could send you a couple but you probably don’t have a stable address?
    If you have a postal and would like a gift for him, let me know, I would love to return such a favour when I receive so much from you both, sorry the three of you!

Love from Kangaroo-Land

5. Lynn says:

Bell pepper

6. Ronn says:

I’ve been feeding my cat a raw food diet for the past 5 years made with a great pre-mix called Feline Futures Instincts. It’s a scientifically formulated powder mix that you add to 2 lbs of raw meat, 3.5 oz of raw liver and a cup and a half of water. I buy 2 lbs of organic chicken breasts and either fresh or frozen organic raw liver, chop the chicken breasts in the food processor, puree the liver, add both to the powder mixed with purified water. Mix it all together and divide it into servings which I put in ziplock baggies and freeze (makes about 3 weeks worth). To serve, I thaw a baggie in a bowl of warm water. My kitteh loves it! She occasionally gets some organic canned food, but definitely prefers her raw meals. If we’re allowed to post web sites here, the address for Feline Futures is http://www.felinefuture.com/?page_id=26 There’s lots of great info there on cats, their optimum diet, what things should not be added to their food (garlic is a big no-no), etc.

7. sarah coffey says:

I read in the raw food book that I am reading that she feeds her dog a raw, vegan diet, that she makes herself…. basically what she eats, she feeds her dog. She claims that her dog is healthy, that her vet approves, her coat is bright and soft, and that she gained weight, after she rescued her from the shelter…. I always wondered what to feed our animals, I guess that everyone has a different opinion on this. Why do you think that cats are meat eaters? I wish that I knew for sure the best thing to feed my cat! I just got him, Rick. I got him some raw food, at the health food store, that had chicken and such in it…he didnt eat it though. I want to make him fresh stuff….

my fav pizza topping- avacados!! how do i make a vegan raw pizza? !!
    thnks
    ~ Sarah Coffey

8. Damon says:

Johnny 5 definitely does not look like he’s disassembling…good job guys! I’d say my favorite topping for pizza would be jalapenos, but that’s more of a staple so we’ll have to go with the Raw Almond Ricotta cheese as my favorite so far. I do plan on trying a raw mozzarella cheese soon to see if it’s any better though. Is there a reason raw foodists seem to shy away from spicy recipes?

9. Mary says:

Hi Kev, AnnMarie and JCat: Thanks to Ronn for his protocol we will look into it as we have two cats: Paco and Chico! We love onions sweetened with Agave and dried in dehydrator, raw olives, avocado, and Basil..yum!
    Of course the usual – tomatoes, Italian spices (organic) sometimes bell peppers and nut cheese.
    Love you guys! Mary:)

10. Joni says:

Favorite pizza topping(s)? Well, back in the day it was black olives with just a sprinkling of grilled sweet onions. Mmmmmm. Regarding food for cats, I have four cats and they all eat raw. I get the Nature’s Variety frozen raw because it has all the nutrients they need, one of the most important being taurine. Mine eat the chicken – I buy the package of patties and I also mix in a medallion of the raw rabbit and beef as well. Never any problem – they love it! I used to make my own raw recipe, but was unable to get decent chicken anymore so went to frozen raw. Here’s the link if you’re interested.

11. Melina says:

That is cool Johnny 5 sleeps peacefully as you guys drive along. Did he take awhile to adjust to the RV?

12. Rachel says:

mmm… pizza. I suppose artichoke hearts, tomatoes, and hot peppers!

p.s. Nathalie I always assumed johnny 5 was named after the robot in the 80’s flick Short Circuit, but perhaps I am wrong. I loved that movie as a child. :]

13. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kev and Annmarie,

I’d have to say avocado and tomatoes! I love pizza! Thats one of those things that I miss. Occasionally, I will eat a cooked meal on Fridays, and get a vegan Amy’s frozen pizza. Fridays are our pizza nights each week. Its not the same as a yummy slice of NY pizza though. Sorry guys, nothing can top that for me. A close second for me though is a kale salad! My first raw recipe after going raw vegan was Annmarie’s kale salad. I think that was the first video I watched of you guys too 🙂

14. You asked our experience with the blood type diet: before I discovered raw, when I was trying to find what was wrong with my stomach, I followed the blood type diet and it helped a lot. It got me off bread (I’m gluten intolerant) and shellfish (ditto) and red meat, and dairy (I’m lacto-intolerant) and sugar. It suggested no tomatoes or broccholi/cabbage etc.
    All this helped tremendously.
    Now that I am 50%+ raw vegan it eliminates the offending foods, and I can eat raw tomatoes and broccholi, etc. veggies.
    So, when I was on SAD, Blood type diet helped. Now I am raw, it is not applicable.
    Pizza? I haven’t found one I can eat. The one at Cafe Gratitude was excellent, but I haven’t tried it at home.

15. joel Katz says:

Hi Kevin, I could not hear Gabriel well, but it appeared he was demeaning D’Adamo’s Blood Type Diet with falsehoods and not investigating the true concepts. I am an accredited naturopath who, on the advice of two of my peers, kept an OPEN MIND and tried the diet with patients when it seemed indicated. To my chagrin, distinct improvements were experienced in 50 to 70% of the patients….especially type O the big red meat eaters. In several instances, type O vegetarians responded very positively to the experiment of red meat in their diet. So if you want to laugh off science and clinical data, be my guest. Oh and by the way, this type A has been a raw vegan for 38 years and coming out of school felt that everyone would do better on a vegetarian diet. But I do not keep my HEAD IN THE SAND.
    Joel

16. Dominic says:

My favorite pizza toppings are bell pepper, olives, and mushrooms.

Thanks for the recipe, I used to make pasta a lot, never tried it with 100% raw pasta sauce.

Johnny 5 is the healthiest cat ever!

17. zyxomma says:

Don’t have A favorite for my live pizza, but several. However, if I had to pick one, it would be pesto & calamata olives. Btw, for everyone who is going to try the recipe, it had garlic in it, which wasn’t listed, Abeba said it would’ve been better had the raisins been soaked, and she didn’t use sea salt, but RealSalt (unheated, untreated, from the Salt Flats in Utah). Health and peace to all.

18. Veronika says:

Hi sarah coffey –

To answer your question about “why do you think cats are meat eaters?”

By definition, ALL felines (cats) are carnivorous. You can read it on wikipedia here:

“The cat…is a small carnivorous mammal” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat

This other article goes into anatomical detail: http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

“Of all the carnivores, the felids are the most specialized meat-eaters. The cat thrives with very little, if any, direct ingestion of plant material…The cat also needs certain nutrients made by the metabolic processes of other animals and not available in plant material. Dogs have a range of biochemical processes that convert nutrients from plant and animal sources into what they require – for example dogs can convert the carotenes found in fruit and vegetables into vitamin A. The cat cannot do this and must obtain vitamin A already preformed in animal sources. Cats ingest not only the flesh and organs of their prey but also the partially and wholly digested vegetable foods the prey had eaten. With the assistance of the prey’s own digestive processes, the cat then is able to derive nutrition from various vegetable sources. Thus the cat is more than a carnivore — the cat is an obligate carnivore. To survive the cat must eat meat.”

Dogs, however, are omnivores: (from wikipedia)
    “Despite its descent from wolves, the domestic dog is an omnivore,[2] though it is classified in the order Carnivora. Unlike an obligate carnivore, such as a member of the cat family with its shorter small intestine, a dog is neither dependent on meat-specific protein nor a very high level of protein in order to fulfill its basic dietary requirements. Dogs are able to healthily digest a variety of foods, including vegetables and grains, and can consume a large proportion of these in their diet. In the wild, canines often eat available plants and fruits.”

Hope this helps!

19. Sarah says:

I too experienced great benefit from the blood type diet. I am an O and was vegan/vegetarian for 11 years. (on and off vegan) The blood type diet helped me realize that dairy and wheat were not helping me at all… I also added bison and organic chicken and wild fish to my diet. THis helped me tremendously as before I did this I was experiencing frequent light-headedness. When I added meat the dizzy spells went away. I am now trying to transition to a more raw/vegan diet, but find that I am experiencing those dizzy spells again. And I am eating lots of green leafys…. Any suggestions?? Other than feeling dizzy, the raw food has been working out wonderfully… but I can’t help but thinking there is something that my body is missing when I feel dizzy so frequently. I wonder if what my body needs is lots of raw and a little meat on the side 🙂

20. kris says:

I like artichoke hearts, pineapple and red pepper flakes!!!

21. Irondoll says:

I love Abeba! We met at OHI 02/03 and have been connected ever since. Her sauce is my fave…. and I LOVE her crackers! (I miss the East Bay raw events, too.)

Love,

Pat

22. Deirdre Braddock says:

I’ve raised two cats on raw food and it’s been about 13 years so here’s a bit of hard earned wisdom:

It is so important that cats (and dogs) get the raw bone right along with the raw meat…DAILY. They need the calcium. If they don’t get bone, too, then over time, sometimes it takes years but eventually, it’ll burn out their kidneys.

My cat gets raw organic animal in the form of chicken legs, occasional chicken and turkey hearts, wings, and a constant supply of wheatgrass. She also snacks on whatever I leave on my plate for her after I eat including avocado, tahini, my homemade cashew-lemon dressing, raw almond butter, anything oily.

She’s about 10 now and I’ve had her for 9 years. She still looks like she’s about 2.

23. Katie says:

Thanks so much for the recipe…I cant wait to try it….and many many thanks on telling us about Johnny 5’s diet. I tried the barf also, but he just wouldnt eat.
    Avacados and tomatoes are my fave!!

24. Courtney says:

I don’t eat pizza….oops!
    But Maybe I should try, now! 😉

-Courtney

25. Irene says:

Like to see more of your cat on your show. He is cute!

26. Steve says:

I’m more concerned about you forcing your cat to be on the road all the time rather than its diet.

27. OM says:

There are things like Taurine that cats absolutely need and they are found only in the animals hearts or supplements so you need to learn more about how to really give your cat everything he needs. Here is a great place to start! We have been following this recipe for over three years and our cat is so healthy the vet comments on it every time she sees him. You can make cat food in the Vita Mix but I recommend getting the recipe from Raising Cats Naturally.

Raising Cats Naturally: How to care for your cat the way nature …
    Michelle Bernard has a rare gift for putting in plain words extraordinarily … they absolutely LOVE the raw food diet adopted from this amazing book! …

28. Susie Richardson says:

Ditto about Feline Futures Instincts for cats (see #6 above Ronn). My two cats love it. Our older one Xena, was stiff with arthritis and walked with a limp until she began this raw food diet. It wasn’t long before she was scampering up and down steps and fully able to groom herself again! Since cats can be finicky about changes in foods, we gradually worked it in to their other food, replacing more and more with the raw Feline Futures mixture until it was 100% raw.
    My friend Gena said it best: When cats are out in nature, they don’t barbecue the mouse before eating it!
    Thanks for all that you do!

29. Connie says:

My favourite pizza toppings include red onion slices, green pepper slices, mushrooms, green olives, and pineapple. My son makes an awesome (SAD) pizza (which I do not allow him to put pork on) and he’s freaked out at my attempt to get a lot more raw food into our diet. The other day he picked up Victoria Boutenko’s book “How to End Your Dependency on Cooked Food” and said this was totally unacceptable, he was not going to eat that much vegetable matter! I said, “Never going to happen, don’t worry about it” because realistically speaking, I cannot fight them all. The best I can do is find and offer a lot more healthy and interesting raw food dishes. I love to come here and see what awesome new ideas y’all come up with!

Connie

30. On the blood type diet. You are always so open, that is onething I like about your video posts. This subject is no different. If a person is being poisoned by there food because of blood type sensitivity or just metabolic sensitivity which CAN! happen esp with foods like the nightshades, tomato, potato, egg plant, peppers or goitrogens ( turnips, parsnips,pine nuts,millet,peanuts,casava root, possibly the broccoli family, their metabolism will slow down as that is one of the effects of poisons (stimulation or depression) then the person will have symptoms like wheigh gain or low thyroid. This I have whitnessed by modifying the diet of clients and seeing for instance a raw fooder that merely removed bell peppers and tomatoes from her diet and imediately started loosing weight. I watched you video on goitrogens and the ballancing effect of increasing iodine food and completely aggreed with the results you had found. This is just to say that each individual can be different. Like Dr. D. Graham said, if you have a thyroid, pancreas or liver problem you might not be able to eat so much fruit as in the 80 10 10, the same is true for foods that are known to contribute to infamation , compete with iodine , compete with calcium or contribute to gall stones in the case of oxalic acid. In a completely ballanced or healthy person, note of these things would be and issue but in the case of a person with a particular challenge, being open to a peronalized streamlineing of the diet might be advantagious. With ostioperosis it ming be cecessarry to limit any acid forming food such as nuts to increase alkalinity and make more calcium available to bone formation or in the case of IBS, limiting oils to help decrese inflamation of the bowel. In these conditions raw may make the foods better but still not imediatly helpful. Wether we are working seith an excess or a dificiency is important to note and that includes emotions and exercise as well as food

31. Sorry, forgott to correct above version.

On the blood type diet. You are always so open, that is one thing I like about your video posts. This subject is no different. If a person is being poisoned by there food because of blood type sensitivity or just metabolic sensitivity which CAN! happen esp with foods like the nightshades, tomato, potato, egg plant, peppers or goitrogens ( turnips, parsnips,pine nuts,millet,peanuts,cassava root, possibly the broccoli family, their metabolism will slow down as that is one of the effects of poisons (stimulation or depression) then the person will have symptoms like wheigh gain or low thyroid. This I have witnessed by modifying the diet of clients and seeing for instance a raw fooder that merely removed bell peppers and tomatoes from her diet and immediately started loosing weight. I watched you video on goitrogens and the balancing effect of increasing iodine food and completely agreed with the results you had found. This is just to say that each individual can be different. Like Dr. D. Graham said, if you have a thyroid, pancreas or liver problem you might not be able to eat so much fruit as in the 80 10 10, the same is true for foods that are known to contribute to inflammation , compete with iodine , compete with calcium or contribute to gall stones in the case of oxalic acid. In a completely balanced or healthy person, note of these things would be and issue but in the case of a person with a particular challenge, being open to a personalized streamlining of the diet might be advantageous. With osteoporosis it might be necessary to limit any acid forming food such as nuts to increase alkalinity and make more calcium available to bone formation or in the case of IBS, limiting oils to help decrees inflammation of the bowel. In these conditions raw may make the foods better but still not immediately helpful. Whether we are working with an excess or a deficiency is important to note and that includes emotions and exercise as well as food

32. Elicia says:

Ah, the blood type diet… My mom swears by it. It helped her discover what her allergies were, when medical tests showed nothing. But she’s still overweight. I keep telling her she needs more raw, and to stop putting eggs and roasted cocoa powder in her smoothies everyday!

I LOVE that you named your cat Jonny 5!! Did you actually name him after the adorable robot from Short Circut? Hehe.

My cat’s are 12, 11, and 9, and the older one is, well, getting old. Should I start feeding her raw, or would it be too much of a switch after eating processed cat food for so many years?

33. Elicia says:

And wait, did he say being raw doesn’t work with the blood type diet, period? I’m under the assumption that being vegan/raw is ideal for A’s.

34. Liz says:

Sarah,
    Have you tried raw meat? According to Nourishing Traditions you can safely eat raw red meat if it’s been frozen solid for a minimum of 14 days. The book has 4 raw beef recipes, 1 each from France, Italy, Vietnam, and Mexico. There are also some raw fish recipes in the book. If you really need the meat but aren’t happy about eating it, you could experiment to find the smallest amount of meat you need to eat in order to get rid of the dizziness. You’d still be eating meat, just not as much.

35. Anita says:

I laughed when you talked about being at the grocery store with meat in your cart. I have 5 pets and they all eat raw meat because I feel that’s what they would eat in the wild. My dogs also get some veggies, but they are mostly raw meat eaters. Well you have to buy it, and yes, its funny when I go to the store and my cart is full of organic fruits & veggies, then there’s all that meat too! Oh well.
    Great show as usual!

36. Cindy says:

Hey Guys,
    I’m confused at you saying that Gabriel said that the Blood type diet doesn’t work. From what I was able to hear he said all Type “A”s should be vegan. Isn’t that agreeing with the diet?
    Also what base is a raw pizza made from?
    I would love you to do a show on that if you can or direct me to a past show if you have already.
    thanks and have a great day.

37. Sarah says:

Thanks Liz! I will have to check that book out. I do still eat sushi occasionally. I am not opposed to eating raw grass fed/organic bison occasionally… never knew that it was considered safe if frozen for 14 days…. very interesting. What I have been doing for the past few weeks is eating mostly raw vegan, with occasional cooked meat…. maybe eggs, chicken or bison. It has been helping my dizziness. I think it may be related to B-vitamins and iron.

38. Tino says:

My favorite topping is sausage. Now that I am raw, it is a toss up between a garlic, chili, basil mash and a red, yellow, orange pepper combo.

39. jes says:

Jonny5 looks so healthy and happy. He’s got a good home with you guys. 🙂

40. gloria says:

I tried the blood diet, Im a B, it worked while I was on it. The only bad thing about it was that I really didn’t like the idea of having to eat meat. I had being a vegetarian for several years before that.My painful headaches were gone as well as my digestive problems. Now Im a raw vegan (a year now)and I eat a lot of the things that I wasn’t suppossed to eat, i.e. lentils (sprouted), tomatoes, prickly pears, and a bunch of other yummy fruits and vegetables. I don’t have any digestive problems nor headaches. I feel wonderful not eating animal products.

Im trying to change my cats and dogs diet into raw. I don’t know if it is more expensive? with the economy now, Im affraid i won’t be able to do it right now. I just feed them dry food and I started giving my dogs one egg a day. I’ve read that the raw meat has to be organic?

Thanks, Love

41. Genevieve says:

I can eat mostly vegan/vegetarian for some time but then my body will CRAVE a steak and I always feel so much better afterwards. I’m a Type O.

We lived in a motorhome for 2 years with 3 cats and used to take them for walks on leashes so they could get outdoors. That worked well. Do you take yours outside? They need the fresh air, sunshine and conecting with the earth too.

Genevieve

42. Laura G says:

I tried feeding my cat raw and wasn’t able to find anything he would eat. I think with cats, it might be best to start them off raw.

Ultra picky! He does like Nutritional Yeast mixed into his food though. I read that nutritional yeast and garlic helps keep fleas at bay, (if cat is outdoor). But I can’t imagine being able to get any garlic into him.

We’re now using canned grain free food, because he doesn’t eat egg, or turkey made for humans either.

Like you said, I’d rather he eat than not eat.

43. Amanda says:

How did Jonny 5 get his name?

44. Eileen says:

kevin –

so glad to hear you letting people know that cats are OBLIGATE carnivores!

years ago I tried to feed my cats Vegan cat food. One of them nearly died and was diagnosed with Feline Diabetes. When he \was able to leave the hospital, I had to inject him with insulin twice a day. Then I read up on cat physiology (http://catinfo.org/ ) & learned that unlike dogs, cats are not omnivores and don’t have the enzymes needed to thrive on a veg diet. I found a mail-order place that sells whole, raw, ground rabbit, fur-and-all (sorry, but that’s as close to eating whole mice as you can get!) and started feeding it to my cat. He wound up in the hospital AGAIN – this time because the rabbit diet cured the diabetes, so that the insulin shot nearly killed him! For awhile I monitored his blood glucose levels at home – he went into diabetic states every time I took him off the whole raw rabbit. It was quite an education.

Important to keep our meals species-appropriate…

45. junglegirl says:

Cats need meat, but they LOVE and benefit from some veggies – they are evolving just as we are. Here is a hilarious video that shows just how much cats can crave veggies.

We give our cats spirulina and BarleyCat, which makes them zip around the house like mad after eating it!

Also, my mom’s dog is raw – she gives him raw chicken breasts and rabbit with mixed frozen vegetables in a cup of warm water with kelp bits. For her it’s a convenience thing. When I took care of him before I was raw, I started feeding him vegetarian (cooked quinoa, raw oat flakes, cooked tvp, BarleyDog), kelp strands, avo and mixed raw veggies, he was radically transformed from a “lay around the house” dog, to the happiest, healthiest, most grateful dog I’ve ever met.

Dogs do REALLY well on a vegetarian diet. (I gave him a raw egg stirred into the mix a few times a week). Not sure about raw vegan, but I would think that would be even better if they got some soaked TVP or quinoa sprouts with it, as long as they get plenty of seaweed.

46. Shakti Kaur says:

I’ve been wanting to go to a raw foods diet for my cats, so thanks for the recommendation (above)for Feline Future. I also found: http://www.WildKittyCatFood.com – ordered from both sites and will see how my cats react to the food. I have an aversion to being around meat – so the biggest obstacle will be my preparation – but it is best for them. Also, it gives me more control of the product and just a bit less reliant on being a consumer with cans – bags etc…

47. mike says:

cats can eat vegan you just got to check there urine for ph levals but i am glad to see hin in the vedeos and know he healthy

48. mike says: