Special Raw Food Recipe for Stuffed Mushrooms – The Renegade Health Show Episode #375

Monday Aug 17 | BY |

Today, we have a special “In the Kitchen” show with our friends Shivie and Cemaaj from TeamRaw…

We spent the day with them yesterday and they fed us some amazing food.

Naturally, we wanted you to “share” it with us. Shivie is going to explain how she made these incredible raw food stuffed mushrooms.

Enjoy…

Your question of the day: What makes your day “raw-some” today?

Check out TeamRaw’s site here… www.TeamRaw.com

Shivie’s Marinated Stuffed Mushrooms

20 Crimini mushrooms, stems removed and saved for filling

Marinade:
2 tsp tamari
2 tsp lemon juice

Clean mushrooms and add them to marinade in a bowl with a cover. Marinate for 20 mins

Pate:
1 cup mushroom stems
1 ½ cups soaked sunflower seeds
½ cup soaked walnuts
1 clove garlic
2 tsp tamari
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper

Add all ingredients to a food processor with s blade. Blend until filling is combined well and has a smooth consistency.

Brazil Nut Parmesan:
1 cup brazil nuts
1 clove garlic
1 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in food processor and process until fluffy.

1. Cherie says:

Hi kevin, we don’t eat mushrooms because they are a fungus. So many people eat them for health but I just can’t get past the fungus thing. Can you provide any stats or info about mushrooms?

2. Terresa says:

ohhh, i wish i liked mushrooms, i know they must be so versatile to “uncook” with. But I have the same issue with not being able to get past the fact that they are fungus. Just don’t prefer the taste and texture.

Today is rawsome because I have officially thrown away all my commercial toxic haircare, makeup and prsnl items, the other upside is that the bathroom is less cluttered 🙂

3. We just returned from a 3 day mini-vacation to Virginia Beach. Since I was in restaurants each day, I took a vacation from raw foods (and paid the price in pain and suffering). Tonight during our home dinner my husband, who thinks this raw food stuff is nonsense, said he was happy to return to my weird raw food stuff. AND he is looking forward to the breakfast smoothie.
    THAT is RAWSOME!

4. Corrinne says:

Thank you, great show. Wow, that Brazil Nut Parmesan just made my day! Been looking for a recipe for Parmesan and can’t wait to try it.

5. Elizabeth says:

MUSHROOMS ARE FUNGUS….

6. Lucio says:

Wow, those mushrooms look delicious!!

New smoothie concoctions are always fun to start the day RAWSOME! Today I made, banana, kiwi, orange, mango and a little tsp of macca!

I also drank some water with a little MSM..

Thanks for another great show.. Championing your vids and ebook to all my friends here in the U.K!

7. DebB says:

Great show! Thank you so much for the recipe. I’m off to check out Shivie’s website.

Debbie *Ü*

8. Rafael Morales Jr says:

this is a wonderful receipe
    Kevin can you tell me where can I go for raw foods culinary classes? I live in the Fort Worth, Dallas area in Texas.

9. Rafael Morales Jr says:

What makes a Rawsome day for me?
    The Mango Raw Pie

10. Sam says:

Could you please post her website address?…I couldn’t understand the address when she said it…think it was seymour.com…but it wasn’t…

11. bryan says:

I love fungus, as long as it is Raw. Great show. can’t wait to try.

12. Karolina says:

In our house it is a little bit complicated…

The first smoothie I make in the morning is for my husband. It is usually some fruits, bee pollen, and green powder. Next one is for my one year old twins and four year old daughter. Today they had kale, banana, apple, and a little of green powder.
    Finally, I make something for myself and today I had banana, two peaches, maca powder, and some green powder. Later during the day my family had “half raw and half cooked” dinner while I had some avocados with tomatoes and another big green shake in the evening.
    Karolina ?

13. Shivie says:

Hey there Renegade Health World, Shivie here, yes I said walnut seeds but really meant walnuts! Did you pick that up!!

And yes, mushrooms are a fungus, we don’t eat them much but when catering for a completely raw event for people who have never had raw food before it is a great “transition” food…

How sweet to be on Kevin and Annmaries show, they are too adorable, keep checking their stuff out, they have been a driving inspiration for us…
    Make it a RAWsome day
    Shivie
    Oh and it is a RAWsome day for me when I open my days to each new day…

14. Russ says:

I love mushroooms but try not to eat them. They are on the DO NOT EAT list in Robert Young’s book, The PH Miracle. Mushrooms contain at least five active ingredients that exhibit carcinogenic properties in animals.

15. Rene says:

I have a couple of marinated/stuffed mushroom recipes, from raw cookbooks.
    I believe that mushrooms are an incredible source of nutrients and health-benefit substances, HOWEVER, I am a little concerned about button mushrooms and portabella mushrooms, and the possible carcinogens. Why not focus on other types? there are HUNDREDS of types of mushrooms, which are edible!
    I’m looking forward to trying my marinated mushrooms with shitake, or reishi, or oyster mushrooms 🙂

16. Rob says:

Is Tamari really raw?

17. I do like mushrooms and this recipe looks really good:-)

Our day was pretty “rawsome” – had lots of raw food today. For supper, I made two different kinds of salads with healthy dressings. They were really good!

Thanks!

18. What makes my day rawsome? Raw cacao, sleeping in the sunshine and hugs from all the people I love. It sounds hippie, but it’s true! :o)

19. Deborah says:

My banana carob smoothie and the Daylight Diet by Paul Nison. Woohoo!!!!

20. Kathryn says:

I made Victoria’s mango pie that Annmarie showed us how to do the other day on video. I had to make changes though, my granddaughter is severely allergic to nuts and seeds so we don’t ever use them in the house. The only one that we know she can eat are hemp nuts thank goodness!! I used dried coconut, hemp nuts, raisins (as she can’t eat dates) for the crust and the mango filling was the same!! Delicious!! Thank you Annmarie 🙂

21. Teresa says:

Good luck to you, Shivie and Cemaaj, on your new catering venture!

Learning something new (such as a yummy raw recipe like the mushrooms) makes my rawsome day! Tonight I am trying to “learn” what fruit seeds are edible to just throw into smoothies. Having a hard time finding answers on that one …. any tips? Wanting my raw food easy and fast — too lazy to de-seed if not necessary!

22. Tami says:

First of all, I LOVE mushrooms any way you can fix them. I put them in just about everything (except my green smoothie).
    They are very good for you:

1 cup raw:

Magnesium – 9.0 mg
    Phosphorus – 86.0 mg
    Potassium – 318 mg
    Selenium – 9.3 mcg
    Zinc – 0.5 mg
    Fiber

Mushrooms have very few calories and contain approximately 80 to 90 percent water. At the same time, they have low sodium, carbohydrate and fat content and high fiber content. This is the reason why mushrooms are considered good for those aiming for weight loss.
    Mushrooms are an excellent source of potassium. In fact, it is said that there is more potassium in a mushroom than a banana. Since potassium helps lower blood pressure and diminished the risk of stroke, mushrooms are recommended to people suffering from hypertension.
    Mushrooms are rich in copper, a mineral that has cardio-protective properties. A single serving of mushrooms is said to provide about 20 to 40 percent of the daily needs of copper.
    Mushrooms are believed to help fight against cancer. They are an excellent source of selenium, an antioxidant that works with vitamin E to protect cells from the damaging effects of free radicals.
    White button mushroom have been found to restrain the activity of aromatase, an enzyme involved in estrogen production, and 5-alpha-reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT.
    Researches have suggested that white button mushrooms can reduce the risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer. Infact, extract of white button mushrooms has been found to help in diminishing cell proliferation as well as tumor size.
    Shiitake mushrooms comprise of Lentinan, a beta-glucan that has been associated with stimulation of the immune system and thus, is believed to be helpful in fighting against AIDS. It also helps fight infection and exhibits anti-tumor activity.
    Being rich in fiber, protein and Vitamin B, mushrooms help maintain a healthy metabolism.
    It has been found that mushroom extract helps stop migraine headaches and is beneficial for people suffering from mental illnesses, like obsessive-compulsive disorder.
    Oyster mushrooms are said to be useful in strengthening of veins and relaxation of the tendons.

23. Vicki says:

Seeing Brian Clement give an amazing talk this evening in Vancouver=rawsome day!

24. kevin says:

watermelon or guac!

25. Sharon says:

Reading the comment from Tami made my day rawesome! Learn something new every day.

The majority of people would be surprised to find that mushrooms are just fine when tested on EAV, VEGA or other testing device. Of course there’s always someone who will be allergic but that’s an exception, not the rule.

Many mushrooms are actually ANTI-fungals! Test a person with candida for medicinal mushrooms and they will come out very strong. Like homeopathy! I was very surprised years ago when this happened to me during a bout of candida.

I’m not much into food prep. Give me a bowl of cherries any day but this recipe looks fantastic. I might even try it! Thanks for an awesome show!

26. Penny says:

My Mother has a tumour attached to the stomach and the esophagus thats killing her. She can only drink soups and wont drink raw. Anybody any ideas for a really healthy soup that I can warm up without destroying too much

27. Kathy says:

Thank you for the Parmesan idea, since we have gone raw and don’t eat any animal products, we are struggling witht he cheese issue, but this will help. I have my mother-in-law staying with us now and she hates the way we eat even though her health as improved, she will not admit that it is because she is eating 70% raw.
    Have a raw – some Jesus filled day!

28. Henrik Petersson says:

I’d love to hear Kevins take on the carcinogenic properties of raw mushrooms.
    Some say that eating raw button mushrooms is equal to smoking cigarettes, others say that the impact is so low that it’s nothing to worry about.
    Has there been much studies on this? And would it be possible to make them healthier while still keeping them raw? For example, does marinating or dehydrating make a difference?

29. Mangerati says:

I have published myself a stuffed portobello mushrooms recipe, also 100% vegetarian.

30. Just wanted to let you know that the last two times I watched one of your videos, my computer (MacBook Pro) just shut down. This has never happened any other time, therefore it appears to be connected with your video.
    Don’t know if this happened with anybody else, but I want you to know about it.

31. Kim says:

I love stuffed mushrooms,I can hardly wait to try this raw recipe.

I have a rawsome day when I have peace in the mornings before we start our home-school day with my oldest and a 4 year old who cooperates.

32. GoRawMe says:

Thanks for a great show! I have made this [almost exact] rawcipe for a dinner and folks went wild for it! My sweetie kissed my feet! Once folks learn about Brazil nut parmeasan they feel like a whole new world is opened up. And some foot kissing is kind of fun!

Now for my answer ….. Starting my day meeting new folks like Team Raw = my raw-some day!

33. eileen says:

loved the show – thanks for the education and, as always, the fun.

Happy Day to all!

34. eileen says:

oops forgot the question.

what makes my day rawsome is going out to my garden and getting greens and veggies, infused with peace, and making juices and smoothies and then sharing them with family and friends.

35. Deborah says:

I grew up outside of Pittsburgh. One of the worlds largest mushroom mines, Moonlight Mushrooms, is not far away. We had mushrooms in lots of things when I was young. and still today, marinated mushrooms on raw pizza are delightful, stuffed mushrooms like you demonstrated here, marinated portabellos with red bell peppers & sprouts piled inside a raw wrap.
    Whether or not they agree with you is something your body will tell you. Try some, then see how you feel.

36. Smileygirl says:

This is a reply to Penny (comment #26):

Penny, by chance I warmed my left over raw creation a few days ago, and it turned out to be a most delicious soup.

Here is the recipe:
    1 portabella mushroom, cut in cubes and soaked in a sauce made in a blender. The sauce is made from 1 tomatoe, half a red bell pepper, almond milk, cashew yoghurt, Worcestershire Sauce, Chinese “Five-Spice” powder (cinnamon, anise, star anise, ginger, clove), and a little Himalayan salt.

Just warm it gently, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. For the non-raw members in my family I added some grated cheese just before serving.

You could replace the Worcestershire sauce with Tamari or a regular bouillon cube according to your mother’s taste. In case, you dont’t have almond milk or cashew yogurt, just blend some almonds and cashews with a little water or use any nut butter you have at hand.

I think, you could create many nut-based soups quite easily that could give your mother some more strenght and hopefully make her feel better. I wish you and your mother all the best!

37. Wendi Dee says:

I tried to leave a comment over on Shivie and Cemaaj’s site, but it wasn’t working. It was nice seeing them on your show, Kevin!

They’ve been really supportive of all that we’re doing and that means a lot to us! When we’re in the San Francisco area, we’d love to meet up with both of them.

Lots of love to you!

Wendi
    XOXOXO

38. Smileygirl says:

What makes my day “raw-some” today:
    Watching the Renegade Health Show while having my raw breakfast of home made Essene Bread with a nut and honey spread, and a cup of green smoothie. Wow! Let a beautiful day begin!

Annmarie and Kevin, I love your show! Thanks for all the good recipies and ideas. Thanks for making my day almost every day! You are wonderful!

39. Beth says:

Waking up each day with my husband and looking forward to discovering what yet another unique day has in store.
    Each day is different and unique – that is RawSome!

40. ynottony says:

Question: What makes my day a “rawsome day?”

Answer: Seeing my friends Shivie & Cemaaj doing what they do best = “the giving of raw food.”

Continued love to Team Raw,
    Iyengar Yoga Teacher,
    tony eason

41. Liliane says:

Not been in pain and having more energy ( I have RSDS among other things ). Spending time with family, playing with my grandson Justin & bonding with my new month old gran daughter Samantha.Last but not least, learning lots of great things on wonderful shows like the renegade health show. Thank you Kevin and Annmarie.Love to see your smiling faces. 🙂

42. Chris & Sara says:

Its a Rawsome day when I see my beutious scarf on a star! AnnMarie you look gorgeous!!

Its a Rawsome day when I wake up in Maui

Its a rawsome day when we meet other healthy people. EX: We went to a baby shower, yes Kevin we brought a Kale Salad, and it was the first thing to go! AND someone actually brought a huge pitcher of Smoothie!! Thats rawsome! We loved it!

Thanks for introducing us to sooo many Rawsome people!

Love the recipe.

Aloha~

43. Yasmine says:

Annmarie rocks !

44. Alli-songstress says:

I served mango pie at a family get-together on Sunday. My family eats the traditional North-American SAD diet, and they LOVED it!! I made a few changes myself, I added some sliced peaches to top the crust, and blended a few in with the mango for the filling as well. I then decorated the top with kiwi, blueberries, and raspberries. The presentation, taste, and texture were perfect! I hope I can convince my family to start eating more healthy meals, but in the meantime, they added Cool Whip, it was an insult! Like adding salt to a perfectly seasoned dish! Oh well, hopefully some day they will come around!

45. zyxomma says:

Penny, do you have a VitaMix or K-Tec? If so, you can put in tasty, organic, raw vegetables and salad fruits (cucumber, tomato, okra, ripe pepper, etc.) and blend until it’s warm. Your mom will have the soothing quality of sipping a nice warm soup, yet get the digestive enzymes she needs, because the soup will be uncooked. The best of both worlds! Health and peace to Penny’s mom, and to all. What makes my day rawsome is sharing knowledge and getting more! If you’d like one of my rawsome recipes, check out yogabodynaturals.com/articles and look for Merideth’s Rawvioli with Pesto and Marinara. Lucas of Yogabody Naturals will help you with your yoga practice, and my recipe is a great one for a summer party with your loved ones. Love, health, and peace! p.s. I adjusted the rawvioli recipe this weekend. I had leftover filling (hazelnut/red pepper cheeze), and hand-mixed it with maitake mushrooms (cancer fighters) which I cut into bits and marinated overnight in olive oil, a little garlic, and Himalayan salt. Yum!

46. pat kapsak says:

When I find a rawsome awesome recipe !! Of course !

47. Jill says:

Wow! These look awesome! I can’t wait to try them! Thanks again for a great recipe!!!

48. Joanne says:

Looks delicious! I grew up eating fried mushroom caps (and bacon – gulp:-) once in awhile for breakfast. My mother and I loved it! I enjoy mushrooms but miss that soft, chewy texture that I would enjoy when I ate them cooked.I love the idea of marinating them. They looked just like the friend mushroom caps from my childhood…just a whole lot healthier !

What makes it a Rawsome day? My daily morning fresh greens based juices, finding wonderful, tasty, sweet, ripe mangoes at the grocery store (a short lived treat where I live), having a raw banana, carob “milkshake” for breakfast…just because I can because it is good for me LOL !

49. Leota says:

Wow.. this recipe looks awesome! I love stuffed mushrooms, so as Shivie said, this would be a great “transition” dish for me.

I’ve eaten raw once 😉 at a restaurant in SF and it was delicious and made me feel good eating it.

A few years later on, I was looking for vegan recipes, which is how I found Kevin & Annmarie’s site, looking for ideas.

Raw looks Rawesome! Starting toward a healthier diet and habits is Rawesome and encouraging, so thanks for the sites, recipes and notes generously offered by all.

An fyi to the first few posters about mushrooms… long ago (in the 90s) Dr. Andrew Weil used to say he stayed away from raw (esp. button) mushrooms and celery, because both had possible links to causing cancer. I haven’t checked his information lately, but I will investigate more because of this.

I’m half Japanese and half Okinawan so have those dna and food/health strains flowing thru me. Dr. Weil also researched the Japanese and Okinawan diet because of longevity. Along with the Jasmine tea he spoke of (which my grannie in Hawaii sipped all day long)–what he didn’t comment about is that Okinawan’s eat A LOT of pork. It seemed as tho my grandpa ate it 2 meals a day! Washed down with a glass of scotch when younger or Manichevitz wine when I visited him in his 90s. But, he at only lunch and dinner (that I witnessed), always sitting down at the kitchen table. He never snacked or drank in between.

Both cultures rely on cooked foods tho most of it is lots of vegetables and rice with flesh more for flavoring. Raw was always cured, like making sunomono, or pickling, like sukemono. Only dessert was officially raw, as it was always some kind of fruit.

Guess for me, growing up in these households and observing people’s habits up close and personal, the main thing is that they didn’t eat large quantities of food, and prep food thinking of nutrition first, not taste, or to use food to soothe emotional cravings. (Those last two food-related obsessions are what I am partly dealing with now, food as distraction. Why I want to get back to food as nutrition!)

And, all of the food eaten was prepared at home; much of it grown at home (even chickens and eggs, almonds, walnuts, avocados, persimmons).

Eating more raw makes sense to me now, as our post-modern lifestyles are so sedentary. We don’t live agricultural lifestyles any longer which required lots of food as fuel for hard physical labor.

Thanks for allowing me a space to think these things thru while learning new idea and most importantly recipes and nutritional content!

Rawesome!