Basil Pesto with Kelp Noodles – The Renegade Health Show Episode #364

Friday Jul 31 | BY |

Today, we’re over in Orinda hanging out with friends…

Annmarie wanted to make a raw food lunch for everyone and decided on a basil pesto with kelp noodles.

We’ve been eating this once or twice a week now, because the tomatoes are ripe and the basil is awesome right now!

Your question of the day: Have you tried kelp noodles and what did you put on them?

Here’s the recipe…

Creamy Basil Pesto

1 bunch basil
1 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic
1/2 piece of lemon and 1/2 lemon squeezed
1/2 tbsp raw honey
2 tbsp red onion
water to consistency

Blend 🙂

Serve over Kelp noodles. For the Kelp noodles rinse really really well then soak for 15-20 mins!

To check out “The Lyle Show” please visit… www.TheLyleShow.com

1. DELANEY says:

Kelp noodles are just air dried? Can I find them at Whole Foods?

2. Michelle says:

That looks awesome! It’s great to see how you made it. Where do you get kelp noodles? I’ve also used walnuts to make pesto – but don’t use almonds 🙂

3. Thank you for this great recipe..
    I tried the Kelp Noodles ONCE and wasn’t that impressed but WILL try them again with this YUMMY recipe..
    Blessings, Marina

4. Peg says:

Kelp noodles are great! So far I have just used them added to salads. I am glad to learn about soaking them, because the last bag I opened stated a little funny–now I now why.

I look forward to the pesto recipe–our farmers’ market has wonderful tomatoes and basil.

Oh, yes–today I finished off my first attempt at coconut kefir. And it was just delicious. Tomorrow am off to buy some more and will make some of the yogurt/pudding as well.

5. Katy Brezger says:

I love Basil pesto, I put fresh parsley and homegown garlic in mine, I eat it on broccoli-wockely

6. Jenny says:

Where do you get them from? I’ve looked everywhere, WholeFoods doesn’t have them, neither does the health food store or the Raw/Vegan restaurant/store carry them. So where do I find them? I would love to make a “pasta” dish.

7. Liliane says:

I have tried them. I can’t recall what I put on them. I just know that they still tasted way too much like seaweed. I think your pesto recipe will do the trick, so will probably try again.

Thank you both for all the great recipes and info. You are a real blessing.

8. Lynn says:

In Vietnamese Salad Rolls!

9. Cherie says:

I have kelp noodles. I chop them up real well and put them in my salad. They don’t taste or smell like of seaweed so I can eat them!

10. Andy Reed says:

I love Kelp noodles! As I’m sure most of you know sea weeds (saltwater algae) are the best source of minerals, including all the trace minerals, way higher in minerals than almost any other food. And natural iodine for healthy thyroid!! First time I tried kelp noodles was at Chaco Canyon restaurant in Seattle.
    And kelp is very detoxifying, pulling heavy metals out of the body. Just like in they clean up the Earth from pollution, the fresh and saltwater algae clean up our bodies of toxins and pollution. After Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the traditional folk Japanese that included sea weeds in their diets survived the radiation miles closer to the nuclear blasts some with little to no effect. For some awesome articles on surviving the nuclear age without disease using seaweeds check out my friend Ryan Drums website, http://www.ryandrum.com, he is a wealth of AMAZING information.

11. CARRIE says:

Yes, I love kelp in salads.

12. Stephanie Tisone says:

you can get them on west coast, i know for sure they are available in stores in Cali and hawaii…..the east caost definetely doesnt sell yet….go to:
    kelpnoodles.com
    Sea Tangle is the company

you can buy a case of 12 for a good price

13. sara says:

I love kelp noodles as part of a raw pad thai. I make the almond butter sauce out of Ani Phyo’s book (I use stevia instead of dates) and then mix it into the kelp noodles with some zucchini noodles with some red cabbage and cherry tomatoes. I also may eat all of that on a bed of spinach and with a side of kimchee (that I made myself- I like the recipe out of the book wild fermentation).
    I have gotten my kelp noodles from raw food world.
    The pesto recipe looks yum!

14. I have had kelp noodles in my cupboard for quite awhile now and have been afraid to make anything with them. This recipe has inspired me to take give the noodles a try, I love pesto. thanks!

15. zyxomma says:

What synchronicity! Not half hour ago, I emailed to Lucas at Yogabody my recipe for Rawvioli with Two Sauces – Pesto and Marinara. If you’re on his email list, you’ll be getting it. Yes, I’ve tried kelp noodles, with a sauce of raw tahini, ginger, some almond butter, a little raw chickpea miso, and New Mexico chile. I usually thin this with a water, but the kelp noodles are wet, so I don’t bother. Top this with very thinly sliced scallion. I love my sea vegetables! Health and peace.

16. Kakali Atkin says:

Kelp noodles are great with any good sauce. Can’t wait to try your pesto. I’ve been making Jennifer Cornbleet’s delicious marinara sauce to top the noodles. I like your good tip about softening them. Thanks so much for your continued fun and educational videos. I, too, buy the kelp noodles from therawfoodworld.com. Cheers, Kakali

17. Geri says:

I have some kelp noodles and was going to make pesto to have with the noodles! I’m gonna try ur recipe Annemarie! It looks yummy! We have a bunch of health food stores here on Maui but I only found kelp noodles in one store! I love them! Thanks again!!

18. Lori says:

Love it!!! Cutest kid ever! Ok, so where do we find the noodles??? Watch out Kevin, he might take over the whole show!

19. Jalil says:

We usually make an almond butter, tamari, hemp seed, etc.. asian kind of dressing.. heh.

I’ve also made a marinara sauce with it as well.

We love kelp noodles, takes 20 seconds and they are ready to eat.. can’t beat that.

20. Kym says:

No, not much chance of getting kelp noodles here in Japan, where every other seaweed product is so readily available. My supermarket just started stocking basil and pine nuts (non-org, of course), so I can at least have a go at making that awesome looking pesto.

21. jackie says:

Jenny, you can get kelp noodles from the Raw Food World. I just bought some and was wondering what to do with them…now I know!! Thanks so much for the recipe, Ann Marie 🙂

22. Stephaine says:

Not yet, but I am excited to try them. I just finished Your book High Raw!!!!!!!!!!! Really good information and tips!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

23. Barbara says:

Kym, I live in Japan too and have found kelp noodles here by mail order. If you want the info on where to get them, contact me at barbarastein@yahoo.com

24. Kathy Thompson says:

I’ll probably never find kelp noodles in rural Colorado, why are they not green????

25. Lori says:

The Lyle show is too cool…. Guess we will need to get your “Smoovie” recipe book! 🙂

26. Rosa says:

Oh wow! I just finished putting together a kelp nooodle salad recipe. However, I wish I had checked my email first so that I would have known to soak them. I did run them under water for several minutes.
    The salad contains: baby bok choy, greeen onion, garlic, lime juice, sundried tomatoes, cilantro, sesame oil & toasted sesame oil, cayenne, red pepper flakes, nama shoyu or braggs aminos, agave, salt. garnish with avocado and/or crushed peanuts.
    I purchased my noodles through Matt Monarch

27. sherry says:

Hi , I have had kelp noodles and am eating them right now as I speak , they are fabulous , now are you getting yours dry and then you soak them, as the ones I have are in green tea…They are very expensive for a limited amount …I have mine with mustard , or cilantro dressing , unlimited ways always ….try almond butter, garlic , with braggs or nama shoyu with water if you do not have a wheat allergy..Have agreat day !
    Sherry

28. CINDY says:

I WAS THINKING ABOUT GROWING A CHERIMOYA TREE IN MY BACK YARD. THE POLLINATION PROCESS OF THE CHERIMOYA MAKES ME THINK ABOUT IT TWICE. HAVE YOU EVER HAD CHERIMOYA?

29. I’m so excited I just placed an order for kelp noodles….. I have been slow with placing the order because I have a hard time with dulse, and kelp sometimes. But your dressing should help. I will let you know next week. I ordered them from http://www.Therawfoodworld.com Thanks for all you guys do.

30. Kaylani says:

I’m a little confused about the kelp noodels. Are the ones you used dry?

31. debra says:

Honey in Pesto? You two have a sweet tooth!

Pesto is one of those things that works better in a food processor. You won’t have to use as much oil or any H2O.

Can’t wait to try kelp noodles.

Bon Appetit!

32. I’m not yet a lover of kelp noodles. Ordered bags to Colorado. I can tolerate them for sure, but the initial smell is enough to turn anyone off. With new ideas here maybe I can turn around my thinking?

I do have a few bags I can share with Kathy Thompson. I’m on facebook and twitter by my name here. I’m between Denver/Boulder if you get up this way. I hope this works.

33. kris says:

ooh yum I love kelp noodles!!! I make lovely fresh herloom tomato based soup with lots of herbs that I have on hand ,heavy on the basil, pepper, salt, hemp seed oil maybe a little spice then I take a mound of noodles and place them in my bowl pour the soup over and add diced avocado and sometimes some white corn kernals maybe a little cuke too. Torn dandelion greens are great also. I often have this quick thrown together soup when the farmers market is bursting with produce and just recently started to add the noodles and boy is that a winner addition!!!! Is anyone else concerned with what they do to young coconuts to ship them here? I started buying frozen organic coco meat and found 100% raw organic coco water to replace the sketchy thai nobody really seems to know what they do to perserve them so I stay away!!

34. Amy says:

Yep! I used (a slightly modified version of) the Creamy Thai Dressing in the book Everyday Raw by Matthew Kenney. Yum! Thanks for the pesto recipe!

35. Deanna says:

I’ve made a few things with kelp noodles. I’ve made a soup with kombu seaweed broth and summer rolls. I really enjoyed getting the tip on soaking them. I’m glad to know how to make them softer. Now I will probably use them more since I did not know how to soften them up better before. ANOTHER FUN SHOW! THANKS!

Deanna

36. Tandi says:

I LOVE kelp noodles. My children love them with italian dressing. I like to eat them with my homemade italian dressing or teriyaki dressing. YUM!!

I think they are better if you soak them, but my kids like the crunch so I don’t soak them for my kids.

37. Carola says:

I bought kelp noodles through Matt Monarch’s web site. even though I soaked them all night, they tasted like petroleum to me; Just nasty. I bought 5 packs; tried 3 and threw out 2. Someone told me that she soakes them in olive oil and lots of garlic overnight. It is not worth it to me. I can do without them.
    Carola

38. Tara says:

Great recipe! My son is allergic to all nuts and most seeds, except pumpkin seeds. Everything I make him is always GREEN because of the pumpkin seeds, but they might actually work well in this recipe that’s supposed to be green! 🙂 We have lots of fresh basil, and abundance of tomatoes and kelp noodles in the cupboard… will give it a try!

39. Sarah Coffey says:

I was wondering if you knew of foods (raw, vegan), that is fatning?…my daughter is really, really skinny, and she needs healthy fats. I want to try this raw, vegan thing, but I want to make sure that she gets enough nutrients, protien, vit b 12, calcium, and fat, fat, fat. Any suggestions for a good raw vegan diet, for children? Any suggestions for getting enough vit b 12, and lots of good fats? ~ Thnks
    Sarah

40. Sarah Coffey says:

Kelp noodles, yum…plastic taste, packaging, yuck!! Any way that we can just make them homemade?

41. Kathy says:

Kelp Noodles & Veggies in “Peanut Sauce” by Carmella

‘Peanut’ Sauce
    3 tbs almond butter
    2 tbs tahini
    2 garlic cloves
    2 1/2 tbs lime juice
    1 tbs tamari
    1 tbs raw sesame or coconut oil
    1 tbs olive oil
    1/2 tbs grated fresh ginger root
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 – 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on how hot you like it)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 Medjhool dates
    1/4 cup water (or more, to taste)

Blend until smooth. If necessary, add more water until desired consistency is reached.

Veggies
    3 cups sliced baby bok choi
    1 cup grated carrot
    1 cup grated daikon
    1/2 cup chopped red pepper
    2 green onions, sliced

Assembly
    Place rinsed noodles and veggies in a large bowl. Toss with desired amount of Peanut Sauce. Let sit on the counter for 30 minutes before serving.

Optional: Top with sliced mushrooms marinated in a little olive oil and tamari.

42. Nathalie says:

OMG! That kid is too cute! Kevin, you should let him do your intros all of the time. 🙂

Thanks for the recipe. Awesome! (well I better try it first)

43. Melissa says:

Hi Kevin–I can’t see the videos on your site. I feel like I’m missing out out on all the cool stuff you’re sharing. What can I do to get in on all the fun?
    Thanks!
    Melissa

44. Sandi says:

After trying kelp noodles two times — yeech!! — I wondered why I ever thought about giving up real noodles.

This recipes sounds great — easy to do and yummy. I think the other three bags are still around (I too bought 5 bags off Matt Monarch’s website). I’m hoping to be a convert!

45. Destiny says:

why don’t you soak your pine nuts?????

46. Simon says:

this looks really delicious… um, Kevin I’d like to point out that having your website url on the screen is a good idea but it does cover most of what Annmarie is doing with her hands…

47. Samtaters says:

I’ve never tried kelp noodles. It is next on my list!

This pesto sounds great. I’m allergic to pine nuts, but no other nuts, so I’m definitely looking for alternatives to use. Are there any nuts other that macadamia nuts that would be a good substitute for pine? The only way I can safely eat pesto is if I make it myself – which I have yet to master.

Thanks for another great recipe!

48. Chris & Sara says:

Mmmm. THis looks soo good! And the kids are too adorable!

We have never bought Kelp Noodles but have tried them in a restaurant before. In a soup I think.

We are totally getting these though.

And thanks for the new pesto recipe. Gotta try this! Never used honey.

I have to say.. I used to be sooo addicted to cheese and could not even imagine pesto with out my parmesean. But after cutting back on my intake of cheese, I am still really enjoying things. Like pesto or even pizza! Amazing how far Ive come!!! 🙂

Mahalo to both for your inspiration!

C&S

49. Lisa says:

I love kelp noodles! I bought mine from RawFood World-they were very delicious. My non-raw friends tried them and they loved it too! I have had kelp noodles with a raw marinara type sauce (recipe from Rawvolution), basil/pesto sauce (very similiar to Annmarie’s (I have not tried it with honey yet), and my favorite way to enjoy kelp is with an asian style sauce and added julienne veggies. Thanks for sharing your pesto recipe!

50. Jillbob says:

First I rinse and drain my kelp noodles. Then I soak them in water with juice from about 1/2 of a lemon for about 30-40 min. This takes away any bitter taste there might be and it softens the noodles to a cooked pasta texture.
    I’ve served them with basil and nut cheese sauces and also prepared a thai soup with seasoning packets from store boughten soups, natural ones of course. I love them. I never really liked the spiral sliced zucchini pasta.

51. Cynthia says:

My kids LOVE kelp noodles. I make a raw vegan cheeze sauce and let it soak overnight so the noodles get soft. Also put Raw vegan tomato sauce on them and of course pesto sauce.
    Thanks for the recipe!!

52. ida margrethe says:

Kelp noodles hey? never even heard of them but ill be sure to look around for them. Do they taste sorta like pasta? Im not a fan of pasta at all,
    BUT i made pesto earlier this week (the other recipe you guys have up) and ive been having it on salads, and also pesto stuffed mushrooms, so yummy!
    Im intrigued by the honey and lemon in this recipe!

53. Michele Owen says:

Hi Kevin & Annmarie
    Thank you for the recipe. It looks yummy. I add nutritional yeast flakes to my pesto for a “cheesy” taste. I haven’t tried kelp noodles yet, but I use dried reconstituted kelp in salads.

54. Bear says:

I have been using Kelp Noodles for a few weeks now in salads and soups. The rinsing and soaking is a nice tip. I have only been rinsing mine and for the most part they taste fine, just a bit salty. But just tried some after soaking, a little less crunchy, but no as salty as before with the same brand.

I have trying out different sauces and “dressings” on them, and eating raw for lunch is getting easier with packing my food for the day.

Also thanks for the recipe ideas in the comments folks, keep them coming! It’s been helping a lot with variety, when I get stuck for what to do with something.

Da Bear

55. Abby says:

Where do you find the kelp noodles and how pricey are they?
    This recipe looks yummy!

56. Duane says:

That was a great video!! Pesto looks great, even without the cat treats!! Kid to funny!!

57. PE says:

Kelp noodles, eh? The big problem with kelp in general is, it’s so high in iodine, like many other sea veg. I know someone on calorie restriction who got a toxic dose of iodine from putting kombu in soups, so I think people should take that seriously. Twice a week may be ok, tho.
    How processed is this ‘raw’ kelp? Sounds a bit like kon-nyaku.

58. Jim says:

I love basil and pasta! I am looking forward to trying some great foods at VeggieFest in Naperville Illinois this upcoming weekend! It would be great if you guys could make it there in the Green Van!

To Your Health!
    James Reno (editor)
    Raw-Food-Repair.com

59. Cindy says:

Hi Guys. Great recipe I look forward to making it.
    I have never tried kelp noodles or seen them anywhere but i will look for them now.
    I was surprised that they are white.
    I thought all seaweed was green.
    Is there a reason and how are these processed that makes them raw.
    thanks in advance for your answer

60. Beth says:

I didn’t even know about kelp noodles. They are on my shopping list now.

Thanks for another great recipe.

61. Maree says:

Hi Kevin and Annemarie, Just want to say thanks for all the info you are putting out. It’s good to get this regularly. Here in Melbourne Australia we are not as advanced in the rawfood movement and it great how you bring us into your life in a fun and welcoming way. Good stuff. Will begin to introduce the kelp noodles now. Thanks

62. Carol says:

Hi, I use Kelp noodles and love them soaked in water with a little nutritional yeast and I add carrots, and fresh peas as a soup. I have used tofu noodles before I found kelp noodles. They were good. Love the recipes and pesto is one of my favorites. Thanks for all of fantastic recipes each week, throughly enjoy your show.

63. Nadia says:

I was wondering how kelp noodles are made. And what is done to them to make them white, since kelp is naturally green. Thanks for all you do!

64. I always have kelp noodles on hand and use them as a spaghetti substitute with a marinara sauce. Now I’m going to branch out and try the pesto and the peanut sauce posted above.

In response to Sarah Coffey who wants her underweight daughter to gain weight on a raw food diet, you don’t necessarily need fat to gain fat. You just need extra calories. Nuts, seeds, oils, avocadoes, and coconut are all high in fats and calories. Sweet fruits are generally high in calories also. If she has a hard time gaining weight, you may want to investigate hyperthyroidism as an underlying cause as well. But nothing is healthier than a raw food diet. It’s the best thing you can do for yourself and your daughter.

~*~ Blessings ~*~

65. Suebee says:

Like a lot of people mentioned, I get my kelp noodles from Matt Monarch/Angela Stokes site the rawfoodworld.com–
    I love a basil/greens/pine nut pesto or a sundried tomato pesto over them. Thanks for the tip about soaking– i usually only soak them in the fridge.
    At first I thought the kelp noodles were too crunchy and not like pasta at all, but then I put the pesto on the noodles and let it warm for a few hours at room temp or better yet, on the window sill in the sun and it was delicious!

So how much should we be concerned about the iodine overdose PE mentioned above– I just saw Angela Stokes talk Thurs. at Catch a Healthy Habit and she says she has sea veggies daily to help her sluggish thyroid. Most days I eat kelp of some sort– how much is too much?

Thanks!

66. Laura G says:

I’ve had them a few times with pesto as well.
    I’m a bit concerned about that plastic smell you mentioned. I never stopped to think it was the packaging that smelled like that. I just thought it was the noodles that smelled like that.

67. Genevieve says:

I made pesto for supper tonight with whole grain spaghettini … then I watched your show. What a surprise!

No, I’ve never tried kelp noodles but will look for them now.

Ann Marie, I always taost my pine nuts slightly before using them in pesto. It enhances their flavour and you need less that way.

I have also never used lemon in pesto but it makes sense, to keep the basil from discoloring.

Hugs to Lyle.

68. desri says:

I got them from Sea Tangle company I think it is kelpnoodles.com. They are great with pesto – also made with spinach added if you don’t have masses of basil.
    Delish also made with a sauce of ginger, garlic, agave nectar, chili, sesame seeds, raw and a drop of toasted(?) sesame oil, tamari and with spring onions, sliced peppers, a few cashew nuts and some seaweed flakes, mmmmm I am so hungry have to have some NOW!

69. Karri says:

We eat kelp noodles regularly. I buy them in bulk from Sea Tangle. I LOVE my Peanut Thai dressing over them! (garlic, ginger, nut butter…etc YUM)

70. Wendy says:

I just got 4 packs of kelp noodles from Raw Food World, but now am pretty certain I don’t want to use them if they taste like plastic! I go to a great deal of trouble to grow and eat organic food, stay away from petroleum in plastic, why on earth would I eat something that has so absorbed the plastic that it now tastes like it! Just soaking it is not going to make the plastic that has been absorbed magically disappear. If anyone wants the 4 bags of kelp noodles I’d be happy to send them to you.

71. Lauren says:

Wendy, if they haven’t already been taken I’d like them. I’ve never noticed a plasticky taste, so I figured rinsing them off would be like washing produce. And soaking them so as to soften.

72. Dianne says:

I make Korean-style chap-chae with them. Add chopped bok choi, shitake mushroom, thin julienned carrot & zucchini, green onions, nama shoyu, a drop of sesame oil and sesame seeds. Yum!

73. Wendy says:

Lauren–

Sorry, have been out of town, but yes, I still have them. Don’t know the mechanics of getting them to you. I mean, yes, I will mail them but I don’t know how to communicate with you to make that happen, lol.

74. GoRawMe says:

Arrrrgh! I keep reading that folks are able to get their kelp noodles to a ‘cooked pasta’ softness. I have tried every trick in the book – or at least all tricks I’ve read about or been told about. None of them worked.

I got my noodles from Sea Tangle and would love to order another box … but not if I can’t get the noodles soft.

It’s so weird because I first ate kelp noodles at a raw restaurant … very soft indeed!

I’ve written to Sea Tangle … haven’t heard back yet. I keep wondering … did I get a bad batch???? I don’t think so because there was no issue with plastic-ie smell.

With gratitude for any assistance.

75. Sydni says:

I like them, but not all the time and i eat them with salt.Sometimes there is green tea in the package mixed in and it tastes awful that way. Thanks, sydni

76. Stacey says:

YUMMY

I get kelp noodles at Whole Foods in northern California for $2.99/pkg. They are in the refrigerator section.

I also live in a town with many Asian grocery stores. Kelp noodles are only $.99/pkg and the ingredients are exactly the same.

77. Jill says:

I had never even heard of kelp noodles until the pasta primavera recipe so no I haven’t had them 🙂

78. Peter says:

Nutritional values of kelp noodles
    Kelp has approximately 45 cal per 100 grams, kelp noodles have 5 cal per 100 grams (almost like water). Kelp has 9g of carbs per 100 grams and the noodles have below one. This means that kelp noodle is watered down kelp in approximately 1:10 proportions. It would still have some minerals from kelp, but so has mineral water. In fact, there is no other food that comes in value as close to water than kelp noodles (perhaps with exception of iodine, which should still be decent in the noodles). Notice however, that we are comparing food to water. Food should be nourishing your body not just filling up your stomach. The kelp noodles are recommended to vegetarians and vegans, who already are missing some vital nutrients and have to make additional efforts to compensate for them. If someone likes the crunch of the noodle, it’s fine for a junk snack replacement but to suggest it as basic food component is ridiculous. And if you are looking for extra iodine, just get some real thing (meaning seaweed). You’ll please your body as well as your taste buds. For those with no experience with sea vegetables, might be worth to make a trip to a Japanese restaurant and get few samples on your plate.

79. Frieda says:

The Whole Foods store on Ray Road in Chandler, Arizona has the kelp noodles in their Asian food chiller.

80. blinkyslinky says:

mom might have an issue or three. but who cares if we’re eating raw! therapy’s only getting cheaper, and it might just seem respectful to some to throw away the fruit of the earth and roll our eyes at its inferiority. it still required, and was nurtured by, our earth. nothing to throw away and roll our eyes at. in my humble, not fully raw, opinion.

81. errod says:

She is very good at cooking intuitively 🙂 And such a beautiful smile! Thanks for the recipe!