How to Make Young Thai Coconut Yogurt – The Renegade Health Show Episode #362

Wednesday Jul 29 | BY |

This show is the second in our two part series on how to ferment coconuts…

Last week we made coconut kefir and this week… coconut yogurt.

This is fun and easy-to-make, plus it tastes great!

And, by the way, if you’re making a lot of kefir, chances are you’ll have a LOT of coconut meat to play around with!

Your question of the day: When will you give fermentation a shot, or have you already?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

1. Brenda says:

I have a yogurt maker. Making yogurt with milk is easy. I tried making yogurt with home made almond milk twice. Both times it didn’t work. Speaking of work, it was a lot of work for it to not turn out. I followed the almond milk yogurt recipe exactly. I don’t know why I did not end up with yogurt. Hmm, got any ideas?

2. zyxomma says:

Yes, I’ve made Rejuvelac with a variety of grains (spelt, amaranth, etc.), and nut/seed cheeses. Annmarie: It’s much easier to remove the meat from the coconut using the BACK of the spoon. I’ve occasionally gotten it all out in one piece (minus the lid, which also comes out as a single piece). Doesn’t matter so much if you’re blending, but it is easier. I’m off to assemble my livioli: this time, I sliced pattypan squash on the mandolin, salt-massaged it to the pasta texture, and have a hazelnut-red pepper cheeze for filling. I made both pesto and live marinara last week, and have some gorgeous greenmarket tomatoes, which are going to be in short supply this year in our part of the world (the wet June spread a fungal blight that apparently originated in the Megalomarts’ tomato seedlings). Many of our local farmers depend on the tomato and potato crops (both are affected) to turn any profit, so when you go to the farmers market, take a page from my book, and tell them to keep the change, if you’re able. Health and peace, everyone.

3. Page says:

I’m probably going to start with some kind of kefir this weekend for my first try! I love yogurt, but also watch my fat intake, so I probably won’t make the coconut variety.

4. Diana says:

Great video! I’m definitely going to try this once I get my hands on some young coconut.

5. Anabel says:

Have been making coconut kefir for a few months now. Just enjoyed a cup of C.K. with some frozen blueberries while I was watching your show. 🙂

I also usually blend coconut milk with warm water to reduce the fat/calories by half before adding the kefir.

Thanks for another great show!

6. I’ve got 2 pints of coconut kefir and 2 pints of coconut yogurt fermenting as we speak! Hope it works.

7. Dirk says:

love young thai coconuts! just curious to how much people pay for theirs, what’s a normal price, etc..? anywhere to order them at wholesale? i’d buy 50 at a time…love em. good show today kevin and ann marie 🙂

8. Rebecca Huff says:

I used to make kefir with milk, but stopped doing it when we stopped using dairy. I am excited to try fermenting coconut milk.

Very interested in the 3 day course, but with 6 children (and trying to feed them healthy) it’s def. not in the budget. I passed on the info to everyone I know.

Thanks for all you do.

Rebecca Huff

9. Genevieve says:

I used to make my own yogurt quite often but then became lactose intolerant after having my daughter. I don’t know why, but anyway, have remained lactose intolerant. Ate commerical soy yogurt for awhile but it is generally way too sweet. I love coconut anything so may give this a try. Isn’t the kefir made from milk though? Hmmmm….

10. Char says:

Hi there, I make kefir and the pudding often. Its much less expensive, rather than using a new packet of kefir starter everytime, to use6-8T of kefir for the pudding to ferment and also the kefir can be used up to 7 times for new batches of kefir. Another nice addition to the yogurt is to add a few goji berries before the fermentation process and it turns the color a beautiful orange.

11. Suzanne Stuart says:

I can’t seem to see any of your videos, what program do I need to open them.

12. Cathy says:

Young cocos where I live are $4.30 each. EEEEK! That’s why I can’t try alot of coco dessert ideas and definitely not 9 cocos for yogurt. Great idea. I’ve seen it done by Elaina Love with 2 probiotic capsules.

13. Paul says:

As always, I love the videos. They are interesting and short enough to make them easy to schedule. I have made Dill pickles,these were good initially but are turning soft now after several weeks. What do you think I did wrong?

14. Susan Bessette says:

I tried making sauerkraut and it was a complete disaster. The worms got that batch.
    I’m not sure if I will do yogurt since I am lacto-sensitive.
    Tomorrow I will attempt to open a coconut and be creative with that.
    Also in my no-cook books are seed or nut cheeses that ferment. I would like to make them this weekend.
    Question: can I take Rejuvelac if I am gluten intolerant?

15. Ronald says:

When I order some kefir grains from Dom out of Australia.

16. Mary says:

I have fermented kombucha (tastes like vinegar, blah!) yogurt and then made cream cheese from it – yum!, and coconut keifer – I don’t like it. Wish I did. I do put it into smoothies.
    I have tried making coconut cheese, but that didn’t work. We really don’t like coconut.
    Instead of using coconut water and keifer packet, use some of the keifer that you already made instead of the water to make the yogurt. I might go ahead and try that.

17. Mary says:

Oh yeah, I’ve also made pickles. They turned out great. They will get soft after a while. I haven’t seen pickle cucumbers for a while though.

18. lisa villary says:

I have read gabriel cousens making raw yogurts/ kefirs made with nut milks, so I may try that. I love coconuts, but I find them to be a lot of work. In India we have special tools for getting into them. When I am in India ( I teach yoga so I go as often as I can) I try to have coconuts everyday. Though as difficult as coconuts are to hack into, I just love them so they are really worth the trouble.

Rainbow Green Diet has Kefir recipes made from Almond milks or any nut or seed milk, then just follow Ann Marie’s instructions, or the ones on the box of your kefir starter.

I will try that right Now, I have some hazel nuts soaked downstairs.

19. Linda Miller says:

I made Rejuvelac all winter. After hearing the Donna Gates interview I tried the sauerkraut again. I had made it for first time several years ago, and it turned out really great. But then the next 2x it was bad. I was told the moon has a lot to do with the success of making sauerkraut so I got on almanac.com and found out the days that are good to make sauerkraut. I made it using a combo of what Donna Gates said and another recipe I had putting the cabbage in jars. I may have put in refrigerator too soon, but have not really tried it yet. At least it did not get moldy.

20. Connie says:

Tonight! We just bought an Excalibur dehydrator and are about to make our first yogurt in it. It is supposed to be made with dairy milk, but since we do not purchase that we are trying it with soymilk. I tried making almond milk yogurt last week and it did not go well. Perhaps I will try that again if this soymilk yogurt does not work. Our daughter needs her immune system built up and she has been buying yogurt so we thought we would make some homemade stuff. We’ll make whatever kind she will eat!

Connie

21. jackie says:

Haven’t fermented anything yet, though years ago I used to make yogurt. The coconut yogurt sounds yummy and I would like to try it, but I don’t have the $ and energy to purchase and scrape 9 coconuts to do so, especially since I’ve never done it before and what if I can’t crack the coconuts open or I don’t like it?

22. Kaylani says:

I used to make rejuvelac but the first time I went to get a glass of it and found mold im it that did it for me. I haven’t made it or drank it since.

23. Deanna says:

I’ve made quite a few things. Coconut kefir, kimchi, saurkraut, kombucha, and rejuvelac. I’ve tried some other things that did not turn out but mostly when things did not turn out it was something I did wrong. I love the fermented foods, I just think they are so good for you. There is a place online called Florida coconuts that sells young coconuts in just about any quantity that you want. I think you guys recommend using the Thai coconuts. What would you think of the Florida coconuts. Tell us again where you get yours from. Enjoy the shows.
    Thanks,
    Deanna

24. Christina says:

I’ve ben making kimchi, sourqraut, fermented veggies, water kefir using the water kefir grains, and milk kefir with the milk kefir grains using raw milk or raw goat milk when I could find it and kombucha for 2 years now. The milk kefir I probably make the least out of all the fermented foods I make as I am not much for dairy. Haven’t tried coconut kefir or yogurt…can’t imagine coconuts lasting long enough between my son and me, and at 3$ a coconut… Thought about trying to make almond milk kefir but didn’t know if I should try the milk or water grains to make it.

25. Sara says:

according to some internet sources one young coconut has 185 calories and 3.5 grams of fat. How many servings of yoghurt does this make? If you ate the whole thing (not that you would) it would be 1886 cal and 31.5 g of fat. Seems on par fat and calorie wise with whole milk yoghurt to me.

Also for the question of the day- i aspire to try making kim chi in the next week or so.

26. Irondoll says:

Sometimes I ferment stuff by accident e.g. I leave it in the fridge or out too long. I boiled a pot of veggies that dried in my fridge over a month or so…mushrooms, broccoli, and added a few sticks of carrots and celery, and the smell was wonderful. I was so looking to drinking this elixer, except that I left it on the stove for 2 whole days, and by the time I saw it again (it had little spit-looking bubbles on top), I heated it, and tasted it, it was sour!…ewwww That was a loss!

27. Betoman says:

I have fermented barley malt, water and hops with yeast to make home brew for many years, though not near as much as I used to. It beats most anything you can buy in the store, but there are some good craft and microbrews. I agree with Ann Marie that you have to keep everything clean. I’ll definitely try some coconut kiefer and yogurt soon and won’t have to wait as long as it takes to make a home brew.

28. nina says:

Since your interview with Donna Gates I have made 3 batches of kefir. The first with probiotic capsules. The second with the same, but it did not turn out. I think one of the coconuts was off. And, the last batch with kefir starter. I blended both the water and meat together to get a thick kefir. Yummy! For breakfast I had a kefir, pineapple smoothie with some Vitamineral Green. I am attempting my first batch of sauerkraut. And I make kim chee.

29. laney says:

I have been taught that orange zest and grapefruit zest (skin) is rather toxic in the body and is not easy to digest in the body. You can set the oil from the zest on fire. But lemon and lime zest on the other hand is ok to digest and eat or juice. What is your take on this. I learned this from Jay Kordich. He states that orange and grapefruit peel (zest) is volatile in the body.

30. Shannon says:

I used to make my own milk-based yogurt and it was okay, but pretty sour if you didn’t do it just right. I mostly did it to make Greek tzaziki which involves whole milk and straining it for a while until it’s thick like sour cream.

Then I tried to make Rejuvelac, and every time it just ended up smelling like vomit so I gave up on that.

I am really excited to try coconut yogurt, though. And I dispute your contention (in a friendly way) Kevin, that it’s higher fat than yogurt- if you look at the nutritional content of a young thai coconut the fat content is practically negligible, unlike whole milk. 🙂

young coconuts at our whole foods cost 1.99.

31. Shannon says:

ps,

I get coconuts frequently whose meat and water are tinged slightly pink. I eat it anyway, and it’s never been bad, or made me sick. I don’t think the pink means its gone off, I think it means it’s very, very young (whereas, if it has a real thick white meat inside, its older.)

32. mary kay says:

For those of you who say you are lactose intolerant and can no longer eat milk yogurt, you CAN probably eat it, if you let it culture for 24 hours. That takes away the lactose supposedly.

I have fermented very few things, and do want to learn more about doing veggies etc.

I currently have some raw milk kefir and yogurt culturing.

There is a young coconut on my kitchen counter whose water my son drank, and I was wondering what to do with it……

Thanks for all you folks do.

Mary Kay

33. mary kay says:

I’ve watched the vid twenty times right at the part where you held up the vanilla powder, but couldn’t catch it….where’s a good source for it? That packet must be pretty pricey……

Thanks,

Mary Kay

34. Lee says:

I have been told that the young Thai coconuts are soaked in formaldehyde, which has made me lose my taste for them. Organic Young Coconuts are hard to find.

Does anyone know if the formaldehyde penetrates through to the coconut. I assume it must.

I am not ready to be embalmed!

35. Ariane says:

ANSWER TO PAUL ABOUT HIS SOFT FERMENTED CUCUMBERS.
    PAUL, JUST ADD SOME OAK LEAFS AT THE BEGINNING, THE TANNINS IN IT WILL KEEP THE CUKES HARD!
    YOUR WELCOME!

36. Ariane says:

EVERYBODY WHO LIKES FERMENTATION SHOULD HAVE THE BOOK ”WILD FERMENTATION” BY SANDOR ELLIX KATZ ! AWSOME, I MEAN IT!

37. scott says:

All peeled Thai coconuts you buy in shops in Thailand and the USA that are a nice white color on the outside (that’s about all of them) are dipped in very bad toxic chemical poisons….
    Hey isn’t that nice to know?
    I live in Thailand so I know the score here.
    They won’t normally mention this in the shop when they sell them to you either.
    This chemical is getting inside you no doubt about it when you drink the coconuts.
    We are working on getting a source of Thai organic coconuts certified organic by USDA to the USA markets. No chemical treatment at all!
    Contact me if you are interested
    Thanks, thaiorganiclife.com

38. Anna says:

I’d love to try it. I just need to get the kefir.

39. Veronika says:

Mary Kay – I too have been trying to freeze the frame so I can figure out what vanilla powder they use! I think they used it in the Chia porridge recipe, so maybe we’ll be able to find the brand name in that video…

Lee – Yes, they are soaked in formaldehyde, however it’s been researched to show that the chemical is not able to leech through the hard shell of the coconut. Thus it won’t affect the meat or water. Phew! Nonetheless, I’d prefer to support organic farming. I hear you can buy organic coconuts online, but you have to buy a lot at a time. It’s best to look for a Meetup or some other group online where one person buys them in bulk, and then you pay for your portion, like Co-op.

Cathy & Jackie – you could use less of the starter pack, and make a smaller batch of yogurt so you don’t have to open 9 coconuts.

40. Veronika says:

VANILLA POWDER: I think I found it! In one Chia porridge video, Kevin mentions that it’s Matt from Raw Food World’s vanilla powder. In the 2nd chia video, a commenter also mentions Matt Monarch.

You can buy 4oz for 22.39. Or you can buy beans in different numbers. Here’s the link:http://www.therawfoodworld.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=vanilla&x=0&y=0

Scroll down and you’ll see vanilla powder and the beans.

41. elarael says:

I also made sauerkraut, cocowater kefir and yogurt and posted it on my blog. I’ve had the coco yogurt twice and like ann marie, I also prefer the water. It’s good, but – not quite for me.

Also, if you crack open the nuts with a meat cleaver, it’s much easier to get all of the meat. After you drain the nut, take it outside, lay it on the grass, and with one hand ONLY, give it a solid whack right down the middle with the blade. It will split in half and you can then easily scoop out the meat.

42. Tanya says:

The only organic coconut meat/water supplier that I can find in North America is Organic Lives in Vancouver, BC, Canada. (www.organiclives.org) Young Thai coconuts at health food stores and supermarkets are dipped with Ammonia and Formaldehyde. If anyone knows of a supplier in the USA – please share.. though I know OL will ship their products.

43. Tanya says:

And yes, it the Ammonia and Formaldehyde does get through the coconut.. unfortunately.

44. Tanya says:

Note for Mary Kay… Vanilla Powder – great price. I stopped buying a lot of my stuff from other suppliers after I found this company.. they are way cheaper AND their business is all about supporting smaller farmers and sustainable practices. YAY!! Wish there were more like them.

45. Carachi says:

I start to wonder about everybody that writes they gone wrong with fermenting…
    I have never had a bad batch – I always succeed!?

Oh. Exept for one time, when I got some conventionally grown beets… I ALWAYS use organically grown!
    Also I have understood it has to do with the added salt. You shuld only use sea salt or rock salt, as it contains minerals that is used for the process.
    Also organically grown vegetables are supposed to have more minerals in them.
    I suppose that is why?? I only use Himalaya salt – WONDERFUL for fermenting!

46. Rene Oswald says:

There are two common thoughts on why the water and pulp are sometimes a pink or purple color. One is that they are old and decomposing; another is that the formaldehyde that they are dipped in before they are shipped to the US somehow leaks into the coconut. It is a long journey by boat from Thailand, so they do that to prevent the outside from molding. Matt Amsten tested the Thai coconut. He found no traces of formaldehyde in the coconut water or pulp that he tested. Here’s the info on Matt’s study: click here or go to http://www.basilandspice.com/journal/matt-amsden-tells-the-truth-about-thai-coconuts-and-formalde.html. In either case, I would recommend returning it to the store in exchange for a new one. We live in Florida and we’ve never experienced pink or purple meat in any of the coconuts we have opened here. Therefore that leads me to believe it must have something to do with the formaldahyde leaking into the imported ones.

Check out #21 of my free videos at http://www.reneoswald.com to see how to open a Thai coconut. They are an amazing addition to our diet, because they contain medium chain fatty acids that our bodies utilize immediately, providing instant energy and they are easily digested. That’s why it’s best to eat them in the morning when you need more energy than late at night!

47. Rene Oswald says:

I also love making sauerkraut and other cultured veggies with greens and sea vegetables. When I first started making fermented foods I had a problem with them growing worms. I know longer have that problem since I started using the Harsch Crock several years ago, which has a water seal to prevent anything from getting to the fermenting food! I have a link to it at my site and I also have a sauerkraut video on the site…www.reneoswald.com (video #14 & 15)

48. When it comes to coconuts I have to admit I am spoilt. I live in Key West FL and own the restaurant Help Yourself and we have a guy whose job it is to go and harvest the young coconuts right off the local trees, so we have a fresh daily supply of young coconut meat and coconut water! That was one of the things I was most excited about when I moved here and opened the restaurant. Instead of having to buy the thai coconuts like I used to I could pick them right off the tree! We make the yoghurt from the coconuts and have a fruit parfait on the menu (the granola isn’t raw in this dish, but we do very often put a raw granola on as a special)and we also make the raw coconut ice cream.

In fact we have been thinking about packaging the meat and making Florida coconut meat available to buy, but the shipping is going to make the price really high because it would have to be shipped in dry ice, however if there is a demand it is definitely something we can do.

49. Destiny says:

I wish you showed us how to open the coconut to start with…. so don’t know anything about coconuts and don’t want to cut my hand.
    Don’t know about fermentation. Seems scary. Still getting used to sprouting. They smell weird… My kids love kefir. Is it cheaper to make?

50. Jean says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie (your skin looks so healthy Annmarie). Anyway, I was wondering if you could do this with coconut chunks that the wilderness family sells (it is organic). Would it do the same thing since I can’t get coconuts. I have fermented raw milk yogurt. And am now fermenting Beet Kvass agin. I love the stuff.

51. Nancy says:

I just wanted to let you know that there are plastic lids that fit the canning jars, both wide-mouth and regular. I use them all the time for storage. They are at lehmans.com

They seem easier to use than the two part metal lids and can go in the dishwasher, top rack only.

52. Amanda R. Thompson says:

I have made some Nummy “Rejuvelac” out of Hard Red Winter Wheat Berries successfully, and “Kombucha”, from the “baby”, or Mother, at the bottom of a purchased bottle. Have been searching for a sourch for a real, or full Kombucha “baby”. Suggestions?
    I noticed you’re using your stove top to hold your avacado’s on your R.V.! I use my oven for dry goods storage. Also, noticed your “Lock & Lock” container in the background. Aren’t they wonderful products?!
    I have used them for years-all sizes. used a small square one for my cell (and cash), when living aboard a Trimaran sailboat in Seattle (for 2 1/2 years @ anchor, and all up & down Puget Sound)…it floats and stays sealed. Many folks commented positively and inquired, when I csrried these. All the best, You both Rawk!
    Amanda Thompson Gulfport,FL

53. PE says:

Eeww, formaldehyde! Ammonia! Even if it doesn’t contaminate the edible part TOO badly, it stinks up the house like particleboard. Not healthy.
    Yes, organic only, Canadian too if we must ship the fruit from the Pacific via the North. Like cacao, maca, acai, lucuma and goji (the last can be grown in the US and the seeds in the berries germinate well)– these exotic foods jazz up your carbon footprint daily…bad karma, with Tuvalu [and others] awash in the Pacific because of global warming.

54. wilma says:

haven’t tried making the yogurt or kefir but love them both..

Try turning the spoon the other way and run it along the between the eat and the shell it is a bit easier to get the meat out until you get your special tool.!!

55. Nadia says:

A good place to find cheaper coconuts is in the Chinatown in your city. Find any Chinese or Asian supermarket and the coconuts there are usually much cheaper. Years ago I heard Thai coconuts were dipped in formaldehyde then later I heard that was false information. I don’t know for sure but either way I don’t think you should be eating many coconuts anyway if they are not local to your area. Once in a while for a treat is my philosophy (and as many as I can when in the tropics!)

56. Ram Govindaraj says:

What type/kind of bacterias you are suggesting us to add , these below are the good bacterias we need in our stomach
    Lactobacillus bulgaricus , Streptococcus thermophilus, L Acidophilus, , Bactrium bifidium , L Salivarius etc.,

Ram Govindaraj

57. Meri says:

I haven’t fermented anything yet. Would love to try coconut kefir but I’m finding it difficult and expensive to get hold of coconuts (in UK). What else could I ferment instead of coconut water? I’m vegan so don’t have dairy.
    Kevin, I would like to ask a question about honey. A lot of vegans don’t eat it, and I know you generally follow a vegan diet, but clearly you do include honey. I recently heard David Wolfe say that honey and bee products contain ‘growth factors’ so they’re good for growing kids. What is your personal opinion on honey and why do you include it as part of your diet? Do you feel that honey is beneficial or do you just enjoy the taste? Thanks 🙂

58. Linda says:

I have made tempeh, soy yogurt, dairy yogurt, coconut yogurt, dairy and coconut kefir, sauerkraut, fermented pickles, sourdoughs, and kombucha. Fermentations are awesome and I love most fermented foods. But, I really don’t like the coconut yogurt. It had an unappetizing flavor and wasn’t worth the effort and expense, in my opinion. Kind of a letdown.

59. Chris & Sara says:

We have not fermented anything on purpose! 🙂 Hee Hee

One of the rare foods Chris doesnt like is Saurkraut, so we prob wont be trying that.

We love coconuts and we used to by them by the case on the mainland. I would be down to try this recipe. And we do like the store bought Goats Kefir.

We will have to make some soon. Plus “Gut Flora” is just fun to say. 🙂

THANKS GUYS! YOU ROCK!

Aloha

C&S

60. Years ago I made a gluten free sour dough starter that was so delicious using a powdered probiotic product. I still have some of it stored in dried form in my freezer.

Now I am mostly raw, but do occasionally still make my homemade gluten free breads.

Enjoy your shows! 🙂

61. Rev Bob says:

In the last few episodes you have not been putting the recipe on for what you are making. Ts there some reason why you don’t?????
    It would also be nice if you had some reflectors to brighten up the person’s face you are interviewing.

62. Rebecca says:

Tried to make Rejuvelac with cabbage and I’m pretty sure it is not usable. It has a very strong smell to it and I’ve never had it before so I really have no reference point to compare to, but I think it is pretty safe to say that it is no good.

Wish I could try the coconut yogurt, but where I live the only coconuts I can get my hands on need to be opened with a hammer!

63. Barbara says:

Is anyone having problems with their reading this websites….I cannot get any of the videos to open, or play?

64. kaye says:

Hi,

Do you know if I can use rejuvelac as a starter instead?

Thanks so much! I love coconuts 🙂

65. Saturated fat is wrongfully held responsible for so many of our ills from heart disease to most cancers. The more I studied coconut oil and how very good it was for healthiness the more I was persuaded that my vegan diet that I had been using was a problem. It all makes sense to me now about how I was mislead into believing the hoopla about saturated fat, cholesterol and diseases such as cancer and heart disease.

66. Martella says:

Regarding the coconut pudding – can you save a portion of the pudding to use as a starter for the next batch. I have Donna’s packets and the instructions do not say that you can use the pudding to start another batch like with the Kefir.
    thanks

67. Aloha

I have been 100% raw for 48 years now and 99% of that I have made a gallon of coconut yogurt a day from fresh coconuts off the trees in the neighborhood
    (free of charge). The benefits are enormous.
    Sun