How to Make Coconut Kefir – The Renegade Health Show Episode #357

Wednesday Jul 22 | BY |

You asked, so…

Today, we’re going to show you how to make coconut kefir.

Coconut kefir is one of my favorite fermented foods and because of it’s short shelf life, it doesn’t turn up in stores that often.

So learning how to make coconut kefir is a skill we all should acquire.

Your question of the day: What can you add to your coconut kefir?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

1. Kate says:

Vanilla Bean and Nutmeg!

I like to add vanilla powder and nutmeg to my coconut yogurt as I am blending it up with the Keifer starter. Could also use cacao powder! or godgi powder! typo intended 🙂

Best ever parfait: layer coconut yogurt, buckwheaties and blueberries (or peaches and/or other berry), shredded coconut and yacon syrup in tall glass.

Thank you for all of your hard work, Kevin and Anne-Marie!
    It is amazing to have witnessed the incredible change in you both since the Renegade Health show first began.

peace.

2. Linda Miller says:

I’ve never made keifer. IF bacteria does grow in the kiefer, is it obvious?

3. Cathy says:

What’s in Kefir starter? Is it suitable for vegans? Thanks!

4. James says:

Who invented the coconut kefir?

5. KIm says:

I had the honor of becoming a Body Ecology Coach several years ago. Although I do not make coconut kefir today, I did make it for approximately one year while I was healing my gut. Great stuff. Relative to having “bad” bacteria in the culture – we were told (and I did experience this) that if there was a pinkish tint to the coconut water/kefir, it was best to toss it out as this could be a sign of “bad” bacteria.
    I have since utilized the Body Ecology Diet in my practice to aid the body in healing. It is one of the best balanced diets to begin healing from the inside out.

6. Abby says:

Soo, Cool!

7. jamison says:

Hi there! Just wondering…why not use real kefir grains (one time investment) instead of kefir starter (continuous investment). The grains grow indefinitly; doubling every 10-14 days. Anyone interested should check out http://www.kefirlady.com 🙂 Thanks for all the great shows!

8. N says:

Dear Annmarie and Kevin,
    I love your shows. They are more useful then all of the conventional TV.
    When are you going to show how to make Kvas? Its a great and refreshing drink, which is still not enjoyed in the US. We should bring it on.

9. vidi says:

I was wondering what the difference between a real Kefir (looks like cauliflower grains) and Kefir starter is?

10. Jane says:

How much kefir do you drink at one time, please?

11. jovan says:

What are the benefits of coconut kefir?

12. So happy you did this. This was on my to do
    list for this week. Thanks again for a great
    show Kevin and AnnMarie. Looking forward to
    the coconut pudding and yogurt next week.
    When I make the coconut kefir this weekend,
    I thought some strawberries would be good
    with it. Thanks again.

13. Ronald says:

Have not tried it as of yet, just getting into this good stuff thanks you guys.

14. bandedbonnie says:

For a summer morning smoothy;
    Blend, 1/2 c kefir plus one small banana plus 1 c fresh berries and 1/2 c cottage cheese, and 1 tsp olive oil…yumm.
    (We do not eat all raw yet, but are gradually learning). Was pleasantly surprised to see you guys start to kefir culture stuff.
    My grandmother-who is now 100 years old and coherent- would take a large Tbsp fresh kefir milk and put into whole milk, cover, and set overnight in a warm spot on the kitchen counter. That was in the days you could get raw milk delivered to your doorstep in glass containers.

15. Jenny says:

I love watching your shows. When I make coconut kefir (I have not yet but I will), lime and maybe a little fresh pineapple would be yummy. I have a question, tho…. I happen to have some life kefir “grains”-those gelatinous thingies-do you know how to make kefir with those? Di I follow the same directions as the powdered but use the live instead? Even if you cannot answer, thanks for the video and have a lovely day

16. Stephaine says:

Hey, Thanks for resending the how can I afford to eat healthy comments and posts. I read them when I watched the episode, but that was before alot of the comments were posted. I would like to suggest that you all, continue to do this especially when there are a large amount informative comments. Thanks!!

17. Vivian Jane says:

I made my own coconut kefir according to Donna Gates’ protocol about a month ago. After 36 hours of fermenting, I put it in the fridge and haven’t taken it out. This hesitation is due to the fact that I KNOW what it tastes like unflavored and am apprehensive about the patience it’s going to take to accustom myself to it.

My question: What is the refrigerator shelf-life of coco kefir? Can I still drink it if the appearance is still good?

My answer to the daily question: I guess I’m going to try it with some spirulina and stevia to disguise the taste until I get used to it 😀

18. Irene says:

I have tried some one made coconut kefir with the meat blended into the water. Was kind of tart though.

19. Jane Marson says:

Thanks for the coconut kefir demonstration. You are such a sweet couple — so charming, and generous!

20. Deborah says:

I’ve not been making kefir since moving from Atlanta, but, while there I always had it because of the availability of coconuts from the farmers market in Decatur. I used the ‘meat’ to make what I called coconut ‘cheese’ since I left it chunky when blending. I love it with any kind of sweet fresh fruit and a drizzle of raw honey. Covering with the lid of the jar is something new to me. Also, I toss the ones with the pinkish tinge too.

Great show, thanks for sharing.

21. horst schmidt says:

…your up&coming webinar…
    MORE TRAFFIC, Kevin

MORE TRAFFIC than FORTUNE500 companies…
    NOBODY comes CLOSE to Lupe&Carlos
    ONLY in AMERICA

GREETINGD from DOWNUNDER
    Auckland NZ

22. mary kay says:

I already make raw milk kefir, and note bandedbonnie, that I do have raw milk delivered to my door once-a-week, as part of a herdshare!

So in this day and age, it can be done….

Anyway, I’ve been wanting to try some coconut kefir. Does it taste similar to milk kefir? Kind of sour and tangy? Could you use the milk kefir grains to start it in coconut milk?

Just curious. And I’ve been wondering about the coconut kefir, so it was perfect timing that you guys posted this.

Thanks again for all you do.

Anyone know of a good place to get the starter?

Mary Kay

23. Nicole says:

I know you guys like raw sauerkraut, as you’ve told us in other videos. But you seem to purchase a lot rather than make you own. Any particular reason? I’ve tried making my own three times and it didn’t seem to help my gut much…I’m thinking it had some bad bacteria in in perhaps. It tasted good though! Could you do a kimchi or sauerkraut video if you haven’t already? I find others don’t explain it well, like do you store it in a cupboard, or with what type of lid, or how much air in the jar, etc. Thanks!

PS: can you use the very young jelly coconuts to make kefir? The one you were using actually looked pretty mature compared to what I’ve seen here in Asia.

24. Miriam Atzil says:

Hi, my dear friends. I love your shows and today I am going to make the coconut Kefir, because I cannot stand dairy products.
    Love you Miriam

25. Dory says:

How often do you drink the coconut kefir and how much do you drink of it when you do? Thanks so much!

26. Ronna says:

I live in a country where I can’t find and starter. You mentioned in the video that one can make starter. Can you direct me as to how to do that. thanks so much always enjoy watching your video’s and all the information you share with us.

27. shane hamilton says:

You guys are great! I am going to try as soon as I can get to the city and get me some coconuts. “You put the lime in the coconut and drink em bodth up” Lime in the…

Shine on you crazy diamonds!

Shane Hamilton

28. Christina Dodson says:

I’ve never had kefir before, so I have two questions about it.

1) What does it taste like? (liquid yogurt?)

2) What IS it? (I’ve seen it sold in bottles in the health food store and always wondered.)

Thanks for such amazing shows. I have almost made it through the entire listing of archives!

29. Thank you SO much for showing how to make this. Been wanting to do it but had no clue how. You guys gel so well together. Many blessings. 🙂

30. Brian says:

how much probiotics do you have to use for kefir?

31. Sue Rushford says:

Just a quick note to all you asking where to get the starter in case Kevin doesn’t have time to post. It was mentioned on the show – you can get it from Donna Gates who promots the Body Ecology Diet. I’ve actually never done it myself, tho it’s totally on my ‘to-do’ list (and I’ve met a woman who cured her child from vaccine-induced autism simply by doing coconut kefir & following the body ecology diet), but here is the link:

– Sue

32. Jennifer says:

Thank you for the kefir training. I look forward to trying that out. But,I do have one question off topic that I am dying to know.

“Where did AnnMarie get her RAW APRON?”

I just love it. 🙂

Jen

33. Meri says:

Thank you so much for that demo. I can’t wait to get hold of some coconuts now (if I can!). I’d also like to ask how much is recommended to drink at one time, or how much per day?

34. Frances says:

Ya, what IS the starter? Even if it’s bacteria, what was it originally grown in/on? Dairy?

35. Frances says:

according to the site, the starter contains:
    Body Ecology Kefir Starter contains the following beneficial bacteria:

Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
    Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
    Lactococcus lactis subsp. diacetylactis,
    Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris
    Lactobacillus kefyr (thermophilic)
    Klyveromyces marxianus var. marxianus
    Saccaromyces unisporus
    dextrose as a carrier (consumed during fermentation)

Again, what has this been grown on?

36. Abbie says:

Hi guys! I have been making water and coconut kefir with actual water kefir grains that I purchased. They are amazing and keep multiplying as I continue to make the kefir. It is so good! Have you considered using the actual kefir grains rather than the starter?

37. Savannah August says:

The Universe is really speaking “kefir” language to me lately, as I
    have been telling myself for the last 3 or 4 months, that I am going to be making “coconut kefir”, & “cultured vegges” “kim-chi”. ~ Last week, Donna Gates, talked about it, & now “Kev” & “Ann” are doing a video on it !! ~ Imagine That !! ~ I met Donna Gates years ago, out here in Los Angeles, during her “travels around the country”. Great person, & an even greater educator. ~ She was “talking” then, about “probiotics” & just getting started with her wonderful Body Ecology “System”. ~ I have many times, in the past, bought the brand, “Tonix”, that she was talking about, (fermented young coconut kefir), at the health food store, but it can “empty your wallet”, if you
    keep doing that, soooooo, let’s all learn to MAKE IT OURSELVES !!! ~
    I was at the same time, taking a class, in Santa Monica, from people
    that she also knew, ~ One class dealt with coconut fermentation foods, kefir ~ kefir cheese ~ the other class dealt with fermented cultured vegges, “raw sauerkraut”. It’s been many years since that wonderful experience, & I’m looking forward to trying it again !! ~ It’s really hot here in L.A., right now, summer & all, so I may need to wait a tad bit longer till the weather cools down. PEOPLE, WAKE UP ~THIS IS THE ONLY THING THATS GOING TO SAVE US ALL ~ (FROM EXTINCTION) ~” PROBIOTIC POWER” ~

38. Yair says:

I’m making my own yogurt from blended cashews with a bit of water + himalyan salt + lemon. I let it sit in room temperature for a day or three (lightly cover with a plate, to keep the air flow).

I wonder if I could use some of that as a starter for coconut Kefir?

Great show! keep them coming!

39. M ary says:

I have made coconut keifer for a while and it always turns out too sour. When I fill my jars to the top, they end up overflowing when the culture starts to fizz. I try to mix mine with a smoothie (not much) but it leaves a taste there too. I guess we just really don’t like coconut.
    Glad to hear that you are going to do something with the meat. I never know what to do with it.

40. Rosie Matchette says:

I’m a Body Ecologist. I opened up a box of coconuts the other day and they were ALL spoiled. I returned them to the store i purchased them from.

41. Jean says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie, great show,Now I can make coconut kefir. By the way the recipe for Beet Kvass is just fermenting beets cut up in a mason jar and let set for two days.It is a great blood builder and taste sooo good. I was using raw whey but would love to know what else I could use to ferment with. I really hope you get this email because I have beets growing in the garden that I would love to ferment the vegan way.

42. Selah says:

You guys are just too cute. It’s so obvious that you love each other dearly and you set a wonderful example to others on what a marriage relationship should be. Just had to say that.

43. ashley says:

When you use already made kefir to start another batch does the coconut water you add to it need to be heated?

44. Ariane says:

It woud be great to blend the coco water with the flesh and put it back in the shell to ferment!

45. Ariane says:

Answer to Jean:
    You can use rejuvelac a s a starter!

46. Lauren says:

Awesome! I’ve been looking for a recipe to make this! I have crohn’s so the more probiotics/fermented foods the better! 🙂 🙂

47. Nadia says:

If you are using probiotic capsules instead of kefir starter, how many probiotic capsules to a quart?

Thanks
    Nadia

48. ann gleason says:

The kefir starter in our local health food store contains skim milk powder – can you get vegan kefir starter?

49. Gail Blanco says:

I add in crystalized ginger to my Kefir.

Do the water kefir grains that you add become plump in the bottom of the jar or are they not visible? I bought some water kefir grains from the Kefir Lady in Oregon. I strain the grains out of the liquid and reused them to make my next batch. My understanding is that they will last forever, and even multiply 🙂 These grains can be used just with water and dried fruit also (so not having to find and crack coconuts each time is a bonus).

Love your show!

50. Laura G says:

What’s your source for Hydrogen Peroxide?

51. PE says:

People consistently mispronounce the word. It isn’t kiefer like K. Sutherland, but keh-FEER, a Turkic word from the Caucasus near Azerbaijan. They also misunderstand what it is– the original kefir is visible ‘grains’ of a couple of dozen coexisting lactobacilli, yeasts and other microorganisms. The “culture starter”, like so much in the ‘raw’ world, is processed and nowhere near the original. Kefir curdles milk, and for that is quite a bit better than yogurt. It can adapt to juiced fruit rather well but doesn’t flourish, and soy milk doesn’t agree with it at all. Dominic Anfiteatro of Australia is probably the best kefir authority.

52. Jean says:

Kevin I have another question:) Can you use coconut oil or coconut milk that we buy in health store in carton to make the kefir? That is asumning we can’t get the real coconuts? And thank Ariane for the info on rejuvelac never thought of it. What a great site for info.

53. Linda Powell says:

Kevin & AnnMarie,
    I was able to listen to part of the program today. Very interesting and informative. I really enjoyed the program.
    I am still farily new to all of this and I would like to try the kiefer and also the coconut recipe. I don’t exactly know where I need to go on the website in order to obtain all of the new recipes that are available. I have some of them because they followed the video after I listened. I have the peach cobbler and some others but I am still not sure how to access the others. Also, I wanted to let you know that I finally was able to print the new Smoothies book. It is great and I plan on trying some of the recipes. Is the kiefer that is sold at the grocery ok to purchase this and drink this one? I hope this is the right website to ask these questions.
    Thank You Both!

54. Lynn says:

I’ve used Donna Gate’s keifir starter with raw goats milk. I would blend it with chlorphyl, hemp seed, raspberries, raw honey, and bee pollen. It was the BEST thing ever. Now I don’t do the goats milk, and I found the keifir doesn’t work well with
    Soy milk. Haven’t tried almond mylk yet.
    I was wondering about the Thai coconuts. There was talk awhile back (and probably still is) about them beind radiated unless you got special ordered ones. We don’t have a Whole Food store within 2 hours drive and none of our health food stores carry them. I have seen them occassionally in the regular grocery, but they aren’t raw, are they. Or would you say that even though they aren’t raw, it is still a good thing to use?

55. Cookie says:

Ann Marie – I am usually in total agreement with you when there is a slight difference of opinion between you and Kevin. BUT – this time I was with Kevin. I wanted to see what to do with the meat of the coconut for the pudding, etc! I used the water for kefir and then just used the meat for my smoothies and desserts. I will now have to open more just for the next thing when I could have done it all at one time. Can you tell that I make the stuff you all recommend almost at once? AND it is always good, thanks for everything and listen to Kevin (once in a while he is right) lol!! Thanks Kavin and Ann Marie for all you do!

56. Diane says:

I quit buying the young coconut after Mike A. showed how they are soaked in bleach type substance. What do you know about that?

57. Flavio says:

I don’t know about kefir, but for my Coconut Yogurt I really like to add a spon of bee pollen and/or vanilla power to it.

58. Cindy says:

I thought it was going to come out like yoghurt but it was still water?
    Do you add more Keffir powder to make yoghurt?
    Also what is it good for, is it just a way to take in good bacteria?
    I also thought that coconuts had milk inside not water. Are these special types of coconuts that have water?
    I live in Australia so I don’t have access to where you talk about getting yours. I think you said they were young white thai coconuts, is that the variety you need for the water not just the sweetness.
    Thanks

59. Elizabeth says:

Thanks for the show. I can’t wait to try out some coconut kefir. Thanks, also, for showing us how to open the coconut rather simply.

60. Deanna says:

Just a comment to Mary. I know Anne Marie and Kevin stated to fill up the jar full and cover with a lid but I made coconut kefir before this show on it and I read that if you leave the jar not so tightly sealed the kefir won’t be so fizzy or carbonated. The longer the kefir sits out the more sour it will get. If you want you can taste fermented products every day or two and put it in the fridge when the flavor gets to where you want it. I’m getting my comments from a book called wild fermentation which I guess Donna Gates would not approve of since she spoke against wild fermentation on the show the other day.

deanna

61. Ed Bogusz says:

Hi Kevin and Ann Marie, Please look at your video, and tell me why the folks at the food coop. in West Lafayette Ind. now Purdue Ind., handled telling us the materials to avoid spills, and the probiotics to add not just for health but for flavor in 1976? In 1976, coconut milk kefir ingredients did not give themselves to “oopsie”. If all is just trial and error I will soon have a book of smoothies for you. Hoping for more. Bogi

62. Tina says:

This was pefect timing just bought some and i gonna make some.

This has nothing to do with this show but I have to ask Kevin are you on a Haircut strike and no shaving.

63. Louisa says:

Thanks for you video on the Keffir. I’m doing all raw now, and loving it, so enjoy watching short clips of recipes, and please keep them coming. I would have really appreciated a couple of minutes talk from you on Keffir before you actually make it, as I know so little about it, like some other people I’m sure. Is is anything like Rejuvelac, without the wheat berry sprouts? Be nice to hear your thoughts on What it is, it’s benefits, how you consume, the various ways to eat it, quantities etc. I mean is it a daily beverage drink? How much is too much? I would have appreciated the educational few minutes as an intro. But thanks…

64. k! stop the presses! how in the world am i going 2 learn all this stuff? i am not sure where 2 start. what about the fact i literally crave beef? i couldn’t get enough steak when i was pregnant. sigh! is my body trying 2 tell me something about the animal meat cravings like i am missing some mineral or enzyme?
    U guys R great.
    U 2 seem so in love. that rocks.

65. Jray says:

If you live in the Rocky Mountain Region near a Vitamin Cottage you can find Non-Dairy Coconut Kefir already pre-made and bottled. It’s called Inner-Eco and their site is http://www.inner-eco.com/. It’s in the cooler section. This is a good friend’s venture after supplying a cult following in Denver for the last 4-5 years. She went into business full time. Their site isn’t fully up yet since they are slammed with keeping up with the demand from Vitamin Cottage stores. I’ve tried it about 6 oz a day for 3 weeks and wow! Very helpful for my uncooperative digestion…how’s that for putting it pleasantly. Seriously though…it’s great product and not easy to do right yourself. Way more effective than any other probiotic I’ve tried..or at least the only one I’ve noticed results with. Niki and Barb who have this company or the nicest people too…so it’s nice to see their passion for this take off…lot’s of success stories with kids with Autism too. Cheers.

66. JoyceF says:

Just wanted to say that I love and really appreciate these how to video’s. I remember seeing the talk about coconut kefirs and thought…..how the heck do you do that….so this helps quite a bit and I do think I can do that. Thanks Kevin and AnneMarie. you are indeed an adorable couple.

67. jane says:

What an amazing stroke of luck! A report stating that organic food is not nutritionally better than produce grown in denatured soils and sprayed with deadly toxins and just 5 months before Codex Alimentarius becomes law ready to line the pocket of toxic manufacturers Monsanto and their cronies and destroy the health of the world.

68. Hi,Guys…..Great show! Slight technical insight: internal body temp(mouth, etc) is 98 degrees; external body temp/ feel is 93 degrees.
    So, if for example, back of hand, lower lip, wrist feel is neutral, you are feeling 93; anything cooler or warmer is accordingly judged.
    Health Now for You!
    Joe and Fran

69. Uri says:

Does anyone know where to purchase premade young coconut kefir in Los Angeles?

70. Vegan Girl says:

You could check out Leaf Organics in Culver City and Sherman Oaks for fresh young coconut kefir (leaforganics.com)

71. Anita says:

Hi,
    I have real live Water Kefir grains & Milk grains, if you want some.
    I can post them- ONLY in Australia-
    Let me know.
    gamgo.4145@yahoo.com.au

72. Veronica says:

I would like to get your opinion about kefir made with kefir grains vs. kefir starter. I have read prior postings of audiences that want to know the difference between these two processes; however, I read no response to their inquiries. So, here again, are there benefits to preparing one way vs the other? If so, what are the benefits? Thank you for your show, I am motivated to eat healthier.