Living Food Recipe for Fat-Free, Miso-Orange Dressing – The Renegade Health Show Episode #352

Wednesday Jul 15 | BY |

You guys wanted fat-free recipes and salads, so here we go…

Let’s do it! 🙂

Today, Annmarie uses the kale we got at the farmer’s market to make a fat-free living foods salad.

The reason we say “living” is because Miso is not raw, since the beans are cooked, then stored to ferment. (The fermentation is the “living” part!)

Your question of the day: What is your favorite fat-free dressing?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Sweet Orange Miso Dressing

1 small seedless orange juiced
1 TBSP miso (unpasteurized if you’ve got it!) – we use brown rice miso, but there are many different kinds you can explore
1 small lemon juiced
1 tsp raw honey (honey can be a strong flavor you can always use agave nectar)
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger
2 stalks of celery
pinch of Sea Salt
Water -to consistency

1. caron says:

jay the juice man says you should never use the rind form grapefruits or oranges for zest or even juice the whole grapefruit or orange. Only the rind from lemon and limes are digestible and the whole lemon or lime can be put through the juicer.

2. Lynn says:

sesame-ginger

3. freshly squeezed lemon juice and sumac powder and a pinch of salt.
    fatima

4. Susan Bessette says:

Hello Kevin and AnnMarie,
    Finally I watched the show early and now everyone has to read MY blog.
    First, my favorite dressing is Good Seasons Italian shake-em-up with vinegar and olive oil.
    I don’t know if that is raw vegan approved, but it is the family favorite.
    I will definitely try your recipe tomorrow because I have been need a non-vinegar dressing and some new ideas. All my salads end up looking the same.
    For all those who comment on AnnMarie’s beautiful skin, of course, anyone who is 20 something is beautiful. Show me someone my age (a senior) with beautiful skin and I will be impressed.
    I love your shows. You have taught me so much and got me thinking in new ways. While not totally raw, I am trending that way day by day and am reaping the benefits.
    Blessings and health to both of you.

5. Richard says:

You guys are a crack up!!

6. DELANEY says:

I love dill, a squeeze of lemon, sea-salt, grated ginger, and chives. I also rip up nori and dump some spirulina on the salad. Dee-lish!

7. Linda Miller says:

I like fresh squeezed lemon juice and some flax seed oil with little celtic sea salt. I eat that almost every day.

8. Geri says:

I loved todays show! Your recipe looks delicious. I love recipe days!
    Kevin, thanks for making me laugh. “AnnMarie is pinching my butt”, too funny!
    I love cats and seeing Johnny 5 was the best! I’m gonna give my cats chlorella! Thabnks guys!!!

9. Tonya says:

I like mustard seeds and maple syrup type recipes for a sweet and hot sauce. Mmmm….

10. Rene Oswald says:

Your salad dressing looked great Annmarie! Was that the South River brand miso? Have you tried the adzuki miso from that company? I’ve heard it’s delicious.

One of my favorites is a Carrot Tahini, the recipe video is at http://www.reneoswald.com/videos.html and it’s #27.

I also have a couple videos for making sauerkraut and I have been using Donna Gates cultures for years to make cultured veggies and coconut kefir. They are amazing foods. You should get yourself a Harsch crock, Kevin, since you like it so much, it’s easy to make and lots cheaper than buying those little jars! I’m like you, I can eat one of those jars for a meal! anyway the videos are at http://www.reneoswald.com/videos.html and they are #14 & 15. Enjoy!

11. Bethany says:

Your cat is adorable!

My favorite low-fat salad dressing is pretty simple. I just take handfuls of various herbs from my backyard (Whatever I have abundantly at the moment… Cilantro, Dill, Oregano, Basil, Parsly… any of all of those), lemon, olive oil, sea salt and vinegar. Sometimes I add a peeled cucumber or seaveggie for extra flavor. Although this isn’t necessarily low-fat, I sometimes add sunflower seeds to make it creamy.

12. CC says:

South River Miso- sesame tahini- lemon and agave… delicious!

13. CARLEEN says:

I LIKE MY HOMEMADE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR THAT IS INFUSED W/ GARLIC & OREGANO FOR A FEW MONTHS & A SMALL AMOUNT OF GRAPE SEED OIL

14. Kaloa says:

I hope you enjoy Issaquah and cougar mountain, it’s one of thee beautiful places. I miss it terribly. (I grew up close to there and moved away last year) Check out Snoqualmie Falls while your there, it’s a great hike. For Bears make noise, my dad wears a whistle around his neck, they run off at the sound…As for cougars, sorry your on your own! lol

My favorite homemade dressing is a garlic clove mashed, salt pepper, balsamic vinagar and a fruity olive oil, whisked up till thick. Sorry, fat free is not in my vocabulary.

15. Nicole says:

I like to use fruit as dressing: either a papaya with some lime juice and cilantro, or mango with some onion and a touch of chili. Yum. Oh, and it’s not fat-free but papaya mashed up with some tahini and garlic tastes a little like caesar salad to me:-)

16. tessa nisbet says:

orange juice lemon or lime juice sweet white miso touch of umeboshi vinegar coconut water minced ginger wasabi

17. candice says:

hi
    just wondering what else you feed Jonny5?
    from
    vancouver island

18. Hey guys, not an answer to the question of the day but a suggestion for kale, we get through 8-10 heads a week and keep it fresh by using the green bags and if it is tired by soaking it in cold water and poof it comes back to life. Looking forward to seeing you next weekend in Santa Rosa and hope to bring you some goodies. hugs. Shivie and Cemaaj, TeamRAW

19. Ellen from Davis says:

Hey Kevin and Annmarie,

You guys ARE a crack-up! Richard’s right.

Sometimes I like to dress salads – usually I just add spirulina and spices – but when I dress them, salsa is my fave! I should make my own, but I usually just buy whatever’s refrigerated at the Co-op.

I’d love to see you guys in Davis sometime!

20. Julia says:

DON”T run from a cougar. Make yourself big and make a lot of noise like you would for a Bear. You can slowly back up as you “scare” the cougar, but if you try to run from it, it will catch you, for sure.
    Thanks for all the fat free salad dressing ideas.
    Check out the Ballard Farmer’s Market in Seattle on Sunday if you are around. Its my favorite.

21. bandedbonnie says:

Your miso (fermented) dressing sounds good.
    Did some research about longevity…areas with the highest percentage of centenarians in their population, ALL eat/drink FERMENTED FOODS like kefirs. Check out the one hundred year olds diets in the Caucus Mts, Okanawa, Japan, Sardinia and at the base of the Hymalayan Mts. Cool huh?

22. Balancing act

I have been having a hard time with getting weight off. I am post menopausal and was vagan before menopause and had to quit for abut 2 years. Starting up again presents some chalanges like keeping the weight on. I eat small amounts of animal products yet.

23. Kaylani says:

Kevin, I know you are an experienced runner but I don’t think you can outrun a cougar.

24. Jeani says:

My cat loves spirulina tablets. They are his favorite treat!! Cats need greens, too!

Thanks for the great recipes. The ones that I try become favorites in our family.
    You guys are AWESOME! Love your shows and all the great ideas! Keep up the good work!

25. Karen Jackson says:

I have a really great salad dressing receipe. I think I got it from the McDougall website. You’ll be surprised how yummy it is.

FAT FREE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE

1 C. water
    1/4 C. balsamic vinegar
    1/4 C. apple cider vinegar
    1/4 C. red wine vinegar
    1/4 C. unseasoned rice vinegar
    2 cloves garlic
    1/4 C. low-sugar organic ketchup
    1 T. Dijon mustard
    1-1/2 T. agave nectar
    1/2 t. xanthan gum

Place all ingredients in a blender and process until very smooth and emulsified. Taste for sweetness and add more agave to taste if necessary. Chill in refrigerator for at least two hours. Dressing will thicken as it chills.

26. Meri says:

It’s great to see everyone’s recipe ideas. I’m quite boring when it comes to salad and often don’t dress it, just add a bit of salt and sometimes lemon. Other people find this too boring though so I will give the miso dressing a go.

27. Mary says:

I have read that it is important to have healthy fats with salads because of being able to absorb the fat soluble vitamins.
    I have one from Traditional Foods by Sara Fallon that has fermented soy sauce, flax oil, olive oil, ginger, garlic, chives.

28. Mary says:

Oh yeah, and rice vinegar.

29. Marielle says:

We use our green veggies juices’ pulp, about 2 cups, add one cup of water and one and a half Tablespoon of sea salt. Dill is added to it. Mixed well and left aside for a week or two, it starts to frement like sauerkraut. When it is nice and tangy, we use it in salads as is or blended with vegetable mush. Superyum!

30. Bee Lady says:

Tip, you should probably reconsider running from a cougar. You will trigger the prey drive. Here in the hills, I have had success standing my ground and quietly staring down bobcats. Don’t break eye contact. The wild cats I have encountered have turned and walked away. Stay where you are and continue to watch them well out of sight and some time after. Do not turn your back on a wild cat. They will turn and look several times. Don’t give them an opportunity to attack from behind. They are reclusive. Most likely if encountered, they are as surprised as you.
    Dressing: fresh squeezed lemon and raw honey or apple cider vinegar and raw honey.

31. Teri says:

I have lived in the Rocky Mountains of Montana for over 30 yrs and here is the lowdown on the wildlife that may get you.

Ok, so for bears, yes you want to be loud and let them know you’re coming so they will not be suprised and attack. But if they do attack you want to curl up, hands over head/face and play dead.

Mountain Lions will be induced to chase if you run. If you see one before they strike (usually like any cat, they will stalk and come from behind) you will want to make yourself big and noisy. If they do get you, do anything you can to beat them off, mainly around their eyes.

I love you guys,

Teri

32. Marji says:

Hey,
    Hope you are doing fine. I was wondering if you have a place where we can go to recipes you have had in the past. I couldn’t find it anywhere. I was looking for recipes for the dehydrator.
    Thanks,
    Marji

33. Genevieve says:

Your cat is gorgeous! I did not know they liked chlorella — will have to try it with mine.

Fat-free dressing? Pureed raspberries (strained or not), honey, good Balsamic vinegar, black pepper and a touch of sea salt if desired. If you prefer a thinner dressing, thin with a bit of water. You won’t even miss the oil.

I do use various oils for salads though, primarily olive, walnut, almond.

34. Kathy says:

I am so glad to see you give your kitty chlorella. I give 1 of my kitties chlorella and spirulina every day because she LOVES it. My husband thinks I’m crazy. My other cats won’t touch it.

35. gloria says:

I just tried giving my dogs and cat chlorella, no success : (

You guys are adorable, thanks for the recipes.

36. Hannah says:

Very funny show guys, you really brighten my day and Johnny 5 is a beauty!.

What kind of cat is he?, as he looks similar to my cat Mika, she is a Russian Blue. Must also try the chlorella tablets.

37. Linda says:

Hi there Kev & Ann Marie,

J5 is an absolutely gorgeous cat! I’d like to know what kind he is also. His eyes match his coat perfectly!

If I should ever get another cat I’ll have to try the chlorella tablets or spirulina tablets. Interesting.

My favorite dressing isn’t low fat but here it is anyway.

3 or 4 cloves of garlic (I love garlic)
    1/4 cup Udo’s oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and/or fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup honey or maple syrup (you could use agave nectar also)
    1 Tsp celery seed (I don’t care for celery in my dressing)
    1 Tsp dried basil (you could use fresh also)

This makes a nice portion. There are several variations to this recipe, it depends on what you like.

Blend well, pour and enjoy!

38. Maureen Gianni says:

Hey Guys,
    What is all the talk about bears and cougars???? Miss you both! Stay safe….Love, Mom

39. Vegan G'ma says:

I’ve had your dressing twice since you posted it. Great stuff! I need fat-free alternatives and this one fits the bill for me. It sure helps that I have a orange tree in my backyard.

40. Joanne says:

Made it this afternoon and enjoyed 2 platefuls of salad (lovely fresh organic lettuces) with some cut up orange and tomato. It was so nice to be able to eat a salad with fruit! For now I need to avoid fat/fruit combos or fuit after eating a fat. Now I can have a green smoothie for dinner today! Yippee! BTW- what purpose does the miso server in the recipe?

41. Brenda says: