A Raw Food Smoothie Recipe for Eye Health – The Renegade Health Show Episode #317

Wednesday May 27 | BY |

Today, Annmarie grabbed a raw food smoothie recipe out of Brigitte Mars’ book “Beauty By Nature”…

Since we both have not-so-great vision, we figure if we drink a couple hundred of these, we’ll get back on track… LOL 🙂

Take a look and see what she puts in this eye health smoothie…

Your question of the day: What other foods are good for the eyes?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Here’s the recipe from Brigitte’s book

1 Cup Fresh Carrot Juice
1 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Unsalted Raw Sunflower Seeds
1 Tablespoon Spirulina

Blend! 🙂

1. Dr. Ang says:

Goji Berries are at the top of my list for the eyes! Also check out Bates’ work for restoring eyesight.

2. Sasha says:

I just went to the eye doctor for the first time in 3 years and my prescription is way lighter. i asked how often people’s eyes get better and they said, just like anything else a healthy lifestyle heals vision/eyesight. Mind you, I don’t do anything particular to heal my eyes.
    That smoothie is looking good!

3. Leah says:

Carrots!!

4. Al says:

Broccoli & celery are two of my favorite eye foods. Full of lutein & zeaxanthin.

Corey Hart – Sunglasses at Night.

5. Joann Lysiak says:

Kale, spinach, swiss chard, collard greens, yellow squash, carrots, red peppers and raw egg yolks.

6. Brian says:

blueberry, bilberry, dark green veggies (eg. kale, swiss chard), tomatoes, omega-3 oils, selenium, zinc, eggs, liver, nuts, seeds

7. Roy Wilhite says:

Blueberries, goji berries. Avoid eating anything which taxes the adrenals. Stick with vegan live foods.

8. Cason says:

lychee!

9. Mary says:

Have general good health, clean living, a practice of eating live, whole foods, and wearing sunglasses whenever outdoors–winter and summer to cut glare and protect from cataracts.

10. Linda Miller says:

Wouldn’t sweet potatoes have the beta carotene that is good for the eyes?

I just wanted to say that once my husband started drinking carrot juice that his eyes got better. He had glasses he needed to wear when he drove or when he read. He now no longer needs them. I didn’t see a difference myself because I had my eyes lasered several years ago. But I’m assuming my whole eye area is healthier, and hoping I won’t get macular degeneration that both my dad, mother, and dad’s mother got in their later years.

11. Sheri says:

Here’s my guess at foods that are great for eye health:

-blueberries
    -omega 3 (flax seeds)
    -carrots
    -kale
    -sunflower seeds
    -pumpkin seeds

I know a lot of people who have done or are considering laser eye surgey – yikes, I’m too afraid of that! Sidepoint: after I do yoga/meditation my eyes are so much more clear and my vision improves (slightly). But after my regular hours at the computer, they are bloodshot and my vision is slightly worse.

Do either of you, Kevin or Anne Marie, wear contacts? You say you wear glasses? I gave up wearing contacts two years ago from overuse – giving my eyes a break.

12. I no longer juice, just blend these days. For my eyes, I eat tons of kale & spinach, some carrots, sweet potatoes and my favorite fruit, MANGOES! I wore glasses since junior high, but, in 1992 the doctor told me I would need bifocals. I chose to have RK surgery (before Laser), but only in my dominant eye. I now have mono vision, using my left eye for distance and my right eye for reading. I no longer wear contact lenses or glasses. So… maybe they are getting better. I do know that it helps for you to not wear your glasses all the time, and do eye exercises.

13. Pat the Irondoll says:

“…foods rich in beta-carotene – like carrots – can damage the eye’s protective shield, doubling a person’s risk of contracting the disease.” excerpted from below article located here.

TITLE: Eating carrots to boost night-vision is world’s ‘greatest food myth’
    By admin on March 23rd, 2009 404 views

Sydney,Mar 23 (ANI): Are you among those who vouch for grandma’s rule eating carrots to boost night vision? Well, then you certainly need a reality check, for an eye specialist has called it the “greatest food myth”.

Paul Beaumont has said that eating carrots does more harm to you than good, as beta carotene rich food can actually increase the risk of blindness.

Beaumont, who has been studying human retinas since 1976, has said that the carrot myth, started in World War II, is a “complete fabrication”.

“When the English were flying at night, they used radar but the Germans didn’t know that radar existed,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Beaumont as saying from his Sydney clinic.

He added: “The English certainly didn’t want them to know so they put out a myth saying they were feeding their pilots carrots to improve their night vision and that’s why they could fly and see things at night. I think that is the greatest food myth”.

Beaumont is the director of the Macular Degeneration (MD) Foundation, which has just released a cookbook, Eating for Eye Health – outlining the connection between what we eat and our eyesight.

He said: “If you don’t eat fish, don’t eat nuts and have a whole lot of bad fats you are likely to get MD. If we could have everyone who is at risk of macular degeneration basically eat food from the cookbook then we would not have an epidemic of this disease.”

The cookbook, compiled by chef Vanessa Jones and Australian icon Ita Buttrose, both of whom have MD in their family, is laden with recipes full of lutein-rich food like spinach, corn and egg yolks.

Beaumont said that the lutein helps protect the eye from sight-damaging light that causes MD and blindness.

On the other hand, foods rich in beta-carotene – like carrots – can damage the eye’s protective shield, doubling a person’s risk of contracting the disease. (ANI)

14. Tara Burner says:

Ok Kevin, first I have to laugh at your opening comment about the person on youtube and his not so intelligent comments (trying to be nice there for Anne Marie since she didn’t like your comment lol)

I’ve had many tell me same thing about how can I be vegan coach and yet I need glasses (contacts all the time) to be able to see! So, I can relate!

To be perfect… ok…moving on…..

since I’m allergic to carrots (yep a vegan who’s allergic to carrots…another strike against me)

I rely on broccoli, green beans, kale, spinach and tomatoes (I grow all those on my patio container garden for easy access)…

plus blueberries are good for eye sight too and I eat a lot of those too…

geee why do I still have bad vision then??? hmmmmph…far from perfect here!

15. Ariane says:

Corey Hart-sunglasses at night !

16. Katherine Christensen says:

An awesome book for improving eyesight naturally, including exercises, is Dr. William Bates classic, THE BATES METHOD FOR BETTER EYESIGHT WITHOUT GLASSES. Well worth reading! Cheap copies available on eBay and Amazon.com

17. Anthony Michael says:

For the Eyes:

Vitamin A – Retinol/Beta Carotene
    sources: carrots, apricots, spinach, red peppers, cantalope melon.

Vitamin B2 – Riboflavin
    sources: spinach, hazelnuts, wheat germ, lentils, green peas, brown rice, chestnuts, almonds, raw unroasted peanuts.

sooo EAT your spinach like popEYE said if you want healthy EYES…

ohhh and the song about “I wear my sunglasses at night” was by Corey Hart..here is the youtube video for it:

so for healthy eyes.. spinach spinach spinach and carrots carrots carrots.. and try to get organic carrots and spinach IF you can..

18. giselle cioraru says:

What do u do with the pulp?

19. beth says:

Thanks for always making me laugh and for spreading your natural goodness!

20. Anthony Michael says:

Some more interesting info on improving your vision… I do wear glasses myself, so I am interested in trying out the heavy carrot and spinach juicing technique for a month and see what kind of results I get.

Victoria Boutenko: How To Improve Your Vision

Dr. Mercola On Improving Eyesight – Throw Away Your Glasses

21. Pam says:

Check online… studies show that a vitamin
    B-12 deficiency causes eye problems. Vegans are susceptible to B-12 deficiency because most people get their B-12 from animal products. I take daily B-12 sublingual.
    check for youslef online or see http://www.medicinalfoodnews.com/vol04/issue4/vitaminb

22. Dianne and Paul Marshall says:

Hi, It’s Paul and Dianne Marshall from Austin, TX. We miss you both. Dianne says, “People don’t know what they have until they lose it”. Here is my story to inspire people to focus on their eye health.

23. Gustosos says:

all berries, cherries, and pomegranates

24. Liz says:

Lutein & zeaxanthin are the 2 major carotenoids that eliminate free radicals from the eye & help prevent/halt macular degeneration. Green leafies are the best way to get these 2 carotenoids. As an optometrist, I’ve been taking continuing education classes which have been stressing the importance of nutrition…YAY!!! Finally.

25. Patrick says:

Greens ..best bang is in sprouts.. wheatgrass, juice sunflower greens juice, pea green juice..and so many more…
    I like these 3 because they cover you at almost all angles…tons of all the right stuff…
    A great juice combo taught and served @ Hippocrates is just this below.
    50% cucumber/ cerlery Base
    with 50% sprout greens (sunflower/pea greens)
    very yummy and healing..Add some ginger and your Golden…
    Throw a double shot of wheatgrass juice and a shot of e3live once in a while and your superperson.
    Worth the effort and easy on the pocketbook. So called superfoods are just recreational compared to this Super nutrition..
    Love ya all..Oregon

26. Irina says:

To improve vision: bilberries, goji berries, sunning, palming, open focus – Bates exercises, and light therapy.

27. During WW2 improved night vision after eating bilberry jam was reported by British Royal Air Force pilots on bombing missions. These reports led to laboratory and clinical research on the effects of bilberry fruit extracts on the eyes and on the whole vascular system in the 1960’s. Researchers concluded that the most effective medicinal use for bilberry/blueberry extract appears to be for improving micro-circulation, which in turn benefits the capillaries serving the eyes, and mucous membranes of the digestive and pulmonary systems.

capremoe@yahoo.com

28. Roseanna says:

I sprout always and it them raw and not “messed with”, especially broccoli, fenugreek and clover. I tale essential oils mixed with omegas in capsule form and drink Xingia Red fro Young Living – Awesome for the eyes!
    If you are:
    taking supplements,
    looking for healthy alternatives
    to cleaning and personal products,
    (especially for kids – Kidscents) or
    interested in Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils
    for Health and Healing
    contact:
    Roseanna Ovington
    Young Living Distributer/#849632
    to order/or for more info – GO TO:
    for testimonials: http://www.oil-testimonials.com

29. Are you ready for this one, here it is.
    Essential Nutrient #1: Alpha-Lipoic Acid

2006 may as well have been the “Year of the Antioxidant.” The latest research has discovered these substances, which prevent or impede cell oxidation (destruction) by free radicals, in everything from red wine to blueberries to chocolate – and now, red meat.

Red meat is the richest food source of alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), which has been called the “universal,” “ideal,” and “ultimate” antioxidant. According to the UC Berkeley Wellness Letter, “What makes ALA special as an antioxidant is its versatility – it helps deactivate an unusually wide array of cell-damaging free radicals in many bodily systems.”

ALA also helps “recycle” vitamins C and E and other antioxidants, thus making them much more effective.

ALA is thought to be a powerful weapon in the fight against the oxidative stress we encounter as we age. The incidence of eye problems such as macular degeneration, cataracts and pterygium (a fleshy growth on the cornea that can impede vision) increase dramatically as we age due to free-radical damage from factors such as smoking, poor nutrition, and exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light.

Essential Nutrients #2 & #3:
    Bilberry and Bioflavonoids

Bilberry is thought to improve night vision. A close relative of the cranberry, bilberry is high in a certain type of bioflavonoid that speeds the regeneration of rhodopsin, the purple pigment used by the eyes’ rods. British air force pilots in World War II ate bilberry jam to improve their night vision during evening sorties.

Bilberry fruits, found in the forest meadows of Europe, western Asia, and the northern Rocky Mountains, contain flavonoid compounds called anthocyanidins.

Flavonoids are plant pigments that have excellent antioxidant properties; they have been shown to help prevent a number of long-term illnesses such as heart disease, cancer, and macular degeneration, the leading cause of vision loss and legal blindness in Americans age 65 and older, according to the eye-health organization Prevent Blindness America.

Essential Nutrient #4: Chromium

Dr. Benjamin C. Lane, O.D., from the Nutritional Optometry Institute in New Jersey, says, “Americans are getting less chromium and much more of its major antagonist, vanadium (a trace element) because of recent dietary trends to large marine fish and poultry.”

In numerous tissue testing and diet assessment studies that Dr. Lane has performed over the past twenty years he has found that “low levels of chromium are a major risk factor for increased intraocular pressure.” Chromium plays a large role in muscle contraction which is why this occurs when deficiencies are present.

And yet another negative effect of near-point activities like computer use, Dr. Lane reports that “the set of muscles we use more than ever before, are those that help focus our eyes.” He has conducted several studies that have shown that straining to focus over a period of time, does in fact increase intraocular pressure. But with proper amounts of chromium in your diet, focusing may be easier and less stressful to your eyes.

The body does not make chromium naturally, so it must be obtained through your diet. The best sources of chromium are beef, liver, eggs, chicken, oysters, wheat germ, green peppers, apples, bananas, and spinach.

Essential Nutrient #5: Copper Gluconate

Copper is an essential trace element that is required for the proper formation of collagen, a component of the connective tissues. It is found in various foods, including organ meats (especially liver), seafood, beans, nuts, and whole grains.

Copper gluconate, a readily absorbable form of copper, is one of the most important blood antioxidants, helping to keep cell membranes healthy and aiding red blood cells to produce hemoglobin.

Since the function of the blood is to carry oxygen and other nutrients, poor circulation causes decreased oxygen delivery – and subsequent damage – to tissues in different parts of the body; some of the most sensitive tissues to decreased blood flow and oxygen delivery include the brain, the heart, the kidneys, and the eyes. Over time, vision loss can occur.

Essential Nutrient #6: Eyebright

Eyebright has been used for centuries to treat eye irritation. Its Greek name, Euphrasia, comes from Euphrosyne, one of the three Graces, who was distinguished for her joy and mirth. The name is thought to have been given the plant because of its valuable properties as an eye medicine that preserved eyesight and so brought gladness into the life of the sufferer.

Eyebright is an antioxidant herb. Its antibiotic and astringent properties tighten membranes and mucus surrounding the eyes, effectively strengthening and improving circulation. Rich in vitamins A and C, eyebright also contains tannins that are beneficial for reducing inflammation.

Essential Nutrient #7: Ginkgo Biloba

The ginkgo is the oldest living tree species, growing on earth for 150-200 million years. No surprise, then, that it’s one of the most well-researched herbs in the world. Studies have confirmed that ginkgo, a powerful antioxidant:

Increases blood flow to the retina.
    Can slow retinal deterioration which results in an
    increase of visual acuity.
    Retinal damage has a number of potential causes, including diabetes and macular degeneration. Studies suggest that gingko may help preserve vision in those with macular degeneration.

Essential Nutrient #8: Glutathione

Glutathione is an amino acid that protects the tissues surrounding the lens of the eyes. According to Web MD, “It also has potentially widespread health benefits because it can be found in all types of cells, including the cells of the immune system, whose job is to fight disease.”

Numerous studies link glutathione with the prevention of cataracts, glaucoma, retinal disease, and diabetic blindness. Foods that increase glutathione levels include sulfur-rich foods such as garlic, eggs, asparagus, and onions, and glutathione-rich foods such as watermelon, asparagus, and grapefruits.

Essential Nutrient #9: Lutein (containing Zeaxanthin)

Lutein, found in our retinas, is essential for healthy vision. Lutein and a related dietary carotenoid, zeaxanthin (see entry below), accumulate within the retina and imbue a yellow pigment that helps protect the eye.

It lowers the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration (low lutein intake is implicated as a risk factor in age-related macular degeneration), and may also help to prevent or slow down atherosclerosis.

Lutein is found in the red, orange, and yellow pigments of fruits and vegetables; for example, tomatoes, carrots, and squash. Green leafy vegetables such as spinach also contain high amounts of lutein.

Clinical research has determined that lutein along with zeaxanthin are two naturally occurring carotenoids present in the macular segment of the retina.

The concentration of these two is so high in the macula (the retinal region responsible for fine visual activities), that the carotenoids are visible as a dark yellow spot, called the macular pigment, in normal, healthy retinas. They act like sunglass filters to protect the eye.

Research performed at Harvard Medical School has established that dietary zeaxanthin plays an essential role in protecting the retina of the eye from the damaging effects of light.

Epidemiologic studies have shown that people with higher lutein/zeaxanthin levels have reduced risk for advanced stages of macular degeneration.

Blue-eyed individuals need more lutein and zeaxanthin because they have less of these protective pigments in their retinas. Again, dark, leafy greens are the dietary winner here, along with corn, nectarines, oranges, papaya and squash.

Essential Nutrient #10: N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)

NAC is an amino acid similar in structure to cysteine, a building block of proteins. In our body, NAC helps stimulate the production of antioxidants by replenishing the body’s levels of glutathione (see entry above).

NAC is thought to both stave off disease and play an important role in boosting the immune system.

Essential Nutrient #11: Quercetin

Quercetin is a powerful antioxidant, as well as a natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory. It is a citrus bioflavonoid, a natural substance that helps protect capillaries, prevent bruising, and intensify the effect of vitamin C in the body – in fact, bioflavonoids are essential for total vitamin C effectiveness.

In a study of adults with symptoms of macular degeneration, moderate red wine consumption (a source of quercetin) offered some protection against the development and progression of the disease.

Dark berries, such as blueberries, blackberries, and cherries, are also high in flavonoids. Animal studies suggest that quercetin inhibits the activity of compounds that contribute to the development of cataracts.

Essential Nutrient #12: Rutin

Another bioflavonoid, rutin, is found in many plants, especially the buckwheat plant, the flour of which is used to make pancakes. Other rich dietary sources of rutin include black and green tea, and citrus fruits.

Rutin is considered to be an important nutritional supplement because of its ability to strengthen capillaries. The American Journal of Ophthalmology notes that rutin has been used with success to treat retinopathy in preliminary research.

Essential Nutrient #13: Selenium

Selenium is a trace mineral that our bodies need to boost immunity and fight off infections. It can also help prevent cataracts and macular degeneration by acting as an antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals that can damage the eye’s lens and macula; studies have identified low selenium levels in cataract sufferers.

Selenium also helps your body to absorb vitamin E. Fish, shellfish, red meat, grains, eggs, chicken, liver, and garlic are all good sources of selenium, as well as brewer’s yeast and wheat germ.

Essential Nutrient #14: Vitamin A

Known as the ultimate eye vitamin, Vitamin A is absolutely essential for eye and vision health. In our bodies, vitamin A is required by the retina for its proper functions – in fact, one of the two sources of dietary vitamin A goes by the name “retinoids.”

The other source is carotenoids, obtained from fruits and vegetables containing yellow, orange, and dark green pigments, including that old standby, beta-carotene. When Mom told you to eat your carrots for good vision, she wasn’t kidding!

Vitamin A is necessary for the production of rhodopsin, the visual pigment used in low light levels. One of the causes of night blindness is vitamin A deficiency; supplements of that vitamin are often recommended for those with poor night vision, along with a diet emphasizing Vitamin A-rich foods, such as sweet potatoes, carrots, mangoes, spinach, and cantaloupe.

Vitamin A also helps:

Your eyes adjust to light changes

Moistens the eyes, which can enhance visual acuity

It has been shown to prevent the forming of cataracts

It has been shown to help prevent blindness from macular degeneration.
    Essential Nutrient #15: Vitamin C

Vitamin C’s importance as an antioxidant cannot be overstated. The Web site All About Vision even calls this eye vitamin the “Vision Superhero”!

Vitamin C has been linked to the prevention of cataracts – one study has shown that taking 300 to 600 mg supplemental vitamin C reduced cataract risk by 70 percent – the delay of macular degeneration, and eye pressure reduction in glaucoma patients.

It’s an interesting fact that, while most animals produce their own vitamin C, we humans do not have that ability. In addition, we can’t store this vitamin in our bodies for very long, so it needs to be constantly replenished to obtain its benefits.

Most of us think of orange juice as the quintessential source of vitamin C, but many vegetables are actually even richer sources: chili peppers, sweet peppers, kale, parsley, collard, and turnip greens are full of vitamin C, as are broccoli, Brussels sprouts, watercress, cauliflower, cabbage, and strawberries.

Essential Nutrient #16: Vitamin E

Because of its antioxidant action, vitamin E helps protect against cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. A clinical study has showed that taking vitamin E can cut the risk of developing cataracts in half. Another study also showed that the combination of vitamins C and E had a protective effect against UV rays.

Symptoms of vitamin E deficiency include muscle weakness, loss of muscle mass, abnormal eye movements, and impaired vision.

Uveitis, an inflammation of the middle layer (uvea) of the eye, is another disorder for which the antioxidant vitamins C and E may be helpful. The uvea contains many of the blood vessels that nourish the eye; inflammation of this area can affect the cornea, the retina, the sclera, and other important parts of the eye.

The richest source of vitamin E is wheat germ. Dark green leafy vegetables (such as spinach, kale, and collard greens), sweet potatoes, avocado, asparagus, and yams are also good sources of vitamin E.

Essential Nutrient #17: Zinc

Our eyes actually contain the greatest concentration of zinc in our body. This essential element is required for the conversion of beta-carotene into vitamin A. Oysters contain more zinc per serving than any other food, but red meat and poultry provide the majority of zinc in the American diet.

30. ANA says:

Hi guys!

Well letme told you , i am from Uruguay; been living in America 4 about 8 years. But one of the thing that make an impress to me ,was that a lot of young people wearing glasses .
    I grow up beliving that glasses are for old people.And been a child remember my mamm,gave me a lot of carrot , and always told me that is 4 ny vision,and also she dont let me wacht tv from too close. Problably that helkp me had that vision that i have today, i am 34 and thanks to God , i havee perfect vision.

31. Michael T. says:

Hey you two,

I notice that you are using the form of spirulina that is called crystal flakes. You should know that this form of spirulina is much lighter than spirulina powder, by about half.

So if a recipe calls for one tablespoon of spirulina, you should use at least two tablespoons of the crystal flakes in order to get the same number of grams of spirulina.

Try it some time, get some spirulina powder and use it in your recipes, and you’ll find that the spirulina flavor will be a lot stronger than when using the crystal flakes.

There is nothing wrong with crystal flakes, I think they make them that way so they disperse more easily in liquids. Just keep in mind that you have to use twice as much.

Thanks for the eye improvement recipe.

Michael

32. Tyra McMahon says:

goji berries

33. Daniella says:

I particularly find this interesting because I had always thought that carrots were not specifically good for your vivion. I have the idea in my head that during WW2, the British, who had invented radar, put out massive propaganda that carrots were good for night vision in order to confuse the enemy about how they were able to be so effective at night.
    I don’t know where I got this info from so perhaps someone could comment or correct my impression.

34. maddie thunderclap says:

TO CHARLES PREMOE thank you for all that fantastic knowledge you took the time to share with us.you could spend a true fortune on supplements so thank God for greens vegetables and fruit all right there in neat packages.thanks again from a wee scottish granny

35. maddie thunderclap says:

oh sorry needless to say thanks as always to our lovely young couple for the recipe

36. Lillian says:

Bilbery, Blueberries, Lutin, carrots and Zan something.

37. Didiydi says:

everybody here is so focussed on the physical aspect, and we all know we are more than that. I think I read in Luise Hay’s book that shortsightedness means the person is afraid of the future, and longsightedness the person doesn’t want to “see” what is going on in her immediate surroundings.
    Most diseases start in childhood as an imbalances in our emotional body, and then manifest sooner or later on a physical level.
    Nothing wrong with carrot juice, but if it was the only answer nobody would be wearing glasses.

38. Didiydi says:

OH! You’re my new favorite blogger fyi

39. Laura says:

I think you’ve got enough answers to the question you asked so I’ll go off subject.

1. Corey Hart wrote and sang “I Wear My Sunglasses at Night.”

2. I wonder if beta carotene and other nutrients that are good for eyes will help someone with strong eyes already have even stronger eyes??? Can you get over 20/20?

(This is tongue in cheek, not a serious question.)

3. Kevin I thought your comment was funny in ‘defense’ of the comment you were replying to. Maybe Ann was right, but what the heck. The guy that made the comment doesn’t have a filter either. 😉 I loved your punchiness today. Good start to the morning.

40. Mary says:

This recipe looks good. I will see if my kids will consume it.
    Kevin, your remark was called HONESTY, it is the best policy. Good work.
    You know you can stay in almost any Wal-Mart parking lot over night. I think you just have to go in and inform them you are there.
    Happy Trails to you.

41. Juicing daily is excellent for the eyes and overall eye health. For specific juicing recipes by eye condition (including macular degeneration, glaucoma, cataracts, etc.), read the Self-Help section under each eye condition you are interested in at Natural Eye Care

42. Connie says:

Lately I’ve been learning a lot from Dr. Ben Kim. Since I work at the computer a lot, I found this article at his website very helpful (now I just need to DO THE EXERCISES–maybe a sticky on the monitor would remind me…):

43. Sharon says:

I use a vision product when my eyes start to bother me. It’s a bunch of eye-specific herbs. It makes the eyes feel like they’ve just had a shower. Very refreshing. Since I’m not a pill popper I haven’t taken it regularly but some people have had positive results like my friend’s 84 year old mother who passed her driving test with flying colors. A few months previous she was convinced she couldn’t see well enough!

I’ve been wearing glasses full-time since grade 4. Tried contacts. Hated them.

Bought Carol Looks EFT for Eyesight program but haven’t gone through it. Some people lose vision because of stress and I don’t think that’s what happened to me. I’m of German origin and most Germans wear glasses. Seems to be a genetic weakness. My iris is getting clearer and clearer in color but my vision hasn’t changed for the better. My Mom said as a baby I was orange from eating so many carrots. So why do I need glasses? One of the mysteries of life!

44. John Thornley says:

Pat the Irondoll & Charles Premoe who left messages above saying fish and meat promote better vision; I do believe they are being mis-informed.

Fish, meat, dairy products, have no fiber or omino acids. They have mono-saturated fats; which can cause heart disease.

Cancer of the colon is the number one cancer killer in our country; our colon needs foods that have fiber. There is an old adage “Death Begins In The Colon”. Dr. Edward Powell proved that way back in the 1950’s

Also, every movement that our body make’s is activated by enzymes. Enzymeless foods causes premature degeneratative disease’s.

45. Joseph says:

I drink some form of carrot juice everyday.
    If I go blinds from carrots I am sure I will be the first one.

When traveling I was not sure what to do with compost. Now what I do is keep it in a little bucket and when I see some nice woods. I return the compost to the earth. My way of recycling.

I found a juiceman at a Salvation Army for $4 that travels with me now. One of my favorite travel appliances now.

Kevin no need to apologize say what you feel. Don’t need glossed over and fakeness.

46. TERRI says:

HI KEV AND ANNMARIE,
    COULD YOU ADDRESS YOUR VIEWS ON FOOD COMBINING?
    THANKS, LOVE YOUR SHOW AND YOU NEW BOOK.
    HOPE YOU MAKE IT DOWN SOUTH,LOUISIANA WAY!

47. Nick says:

Hi you guys, seems late to comment,I watch you guys alot on youtube. Your really doing some good stuff. Anyway, I would like to recommend Fresh Wheatgrass Juice as a Beverage that can be added to fruit & vegetable juices plus smoothies. A complete food & ideal for your eyesight, your may even use fresh Wheatgrass juice as an eye wash. This will help remove impurities & restore tired sore eyes.
    I’m researching Wheatgrass everyday. Blending & adding to so many products.
    We have a large organic Wheatgrass Farm in southeast Asia. I see you always use
    spirulina powder. Why not use Organic Wheatgrass Powder, it’s far superior than what your currently using. O.K, Keep up the Good Work & thanks alot for your interesting & entertaining videos…enjoy your day,
    Best regards, Nick.

48. Rhonda D says:

I recently was taking a product call sweetgrass (wheat grass) it was in capsule form and i noticed that my vision was improving.

Upon waking up I noticed i was not in need of putting on my glasses, right away:)

love your show you guys are great.

Rhonda D.

49. Pat the Irondoll says:

Hi, John Thornley, I did my first living food phase in ’81 and don’t eat meat or fish. I just copied-and-pasted the article, so you could “see” what context the carrot myth was being discussed. Even if I did, the amount of fiber content in my diet would help the transit of it through my system.Kev, I really think carrots should be eaten in moderation. The recipe I found in the 80s that was touted as being excellent for the eyes was this:
    1 large unpeel raw tomato and
    1 garlic
    Blenderize until silky smooth and drink first thing in the a.m. on an empty stomach. Make sure the garlic is pulverized, otherwise, it may repeat all day….weeeeeee!

50. Pat the Irondoll says:

Recipe correction to above: 1 garlic clove

51. Elana says:

Can you use your VitaMix for making wheat grass juice too?
    Thanks!
    Elana

52. Kiani says:

I have heard that Watermelon Sprouts have the most Lutein. Funny, I just started my Watermelon Sprouts this morning before seeing this video.

53. Sara says:

Oh, thank you for todays laugher! 😀
    No, not Kevins comment, as mentioned above, but instead AnnMaries faceial expression, just in the beginning when you talk about how you park your RV in new cities.

I managed to catch a screendump of it, but sadly I can’t post the image here… What a pity! It was truly hillarious! 😀

54. carol giambri says:

Bates Method worked great when I did the exercises in the book. Gotta keep it up however. May find the swings and other things online.

55. jason says:

I’ve also found that my eyesight and night vision are clearer after an intense yoga session. This is especially true if the session involves some sort of headstand.

56. devilchasnme says:

reading small print for years messed up my sight – find the pdf book called “Perfect Eyes – 30 Days to Better Sight” for eye exercises.