Philip’s Raw Food Recipe for Popcorn! – The Renegade Health Show Episode #312

Wednesday May 20 | BY |

Can you make popcorn and still have it raw?

Philip’s raw food recipe for popcorn is unique and intense. And yes, it tastes awesome!

Here it is live from the Kale Whale!

Your question of the day: What is your favorite movie?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

You can check out Philip’s site here… click here!

Be sure to get your copy of High Raw here… www.gohighraw.com

Here’s the recipe…

1 Head Cauliflower
Nutritional Yeast, Cayenne and Sea Salt to taste!

1. CINDY says:

found the info on the french festival
    Festival Information
    Santa Barbara French Festival

Santa Barbara, CA
    United States

A Summer Combo Festival

BONJOUR! French beer, champagne, and wine. FREE admission. Over 40 great acts on 3 stages: cancan, cabaret, Poodle Parade, Femmes Fatales Drag Review, bellydance, folkdance, Napoleon, Maurice Chevalier, Edith Piaf, hot jazz a la Django Reinhart, accordeons galore, and much more…plus an incredible array of tasty food. Huge Eiffel Tower. Lots for the kids. It\\\’s where AMERICA celebrates FRANCE! Oo la la!

More Info: http://www.frenchfestival.com
    back to Festivals Send to Friend

favorite movie is SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

2. Turil says:

This was one of the first raw things I made a couple of years ago, and is indeed a big favorite. I do let it dehydrate, because I just love the taste and texture that way, but I do sometimes eat some before it’s done, too…

My favorite movie is Nausicaa! So beautiful, and what a wonderful earth-loving message.

3. Etain says:

I watched Francis Ford Coppola’s Youth Without Youth recently and recommend it. Definitely.

4. I have always been a sucker for “It’s a Wonderful Life” with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. More current, I would have to say that the “Matrix” is up there. Have not been spending much time with regular films these days, mostly watch my monthly DVD from Spiritual Cinema Circle which always has 2 or 3 shorts and a feature film. They are always thought provoking and uplifting to the spirit.

5. Catherine says:

My favorite movie is Facing the Giants.

I am definitely going to try this recipe.

6. Linda Miller says:

Wow! Selecting a favorite movie is difficult because I love several. I have some I have watched at least 40 times: the original Parent Trap with Hayle Mills, The Fugitive with Harrison Ford, and You Got Mail with Meg Ryan. Most recent movie I’ve watched and really liked is The Takers.

I can’t wait to try the raw popcorn. Looked yummy even though cauliflower is not one of my favorite vegetables.

7. marlene says:

I don’t have one favorite movie but a number of them. Right now I’d have to say “The Secret” is on the top of my list because of the inspiration it has given me. It really makes a lot of sense to me and I really like the journey I am starting on because of it’s influence. I have to say that Renegade Health has influenced my journey also!! Thank you!

8. sans says:

you guys are so cool! one of my favorite movies is a bit violent, but I really love the car scenes…Bullet with steve mcqueen

9. Dash says:

Braveheart head and shoulders
    “FREEDOM!!!”

10. Amy says:

Favorite movie: Like Water for chocolate. Beautiful story of emotions transmitted into our foods. Subtitles not English dubbed
    I’m really looking forward to trying this recipe!

11. Charles Long says:

There has been so many good movies over the years, it’s hard to say. A lot of the James Bond movies would be up there as well as the Raiders movies. If I had to pick one I would say “Rob Roy.”

12. Dash says:

Would you believe that I actually added the above BEFORE watching Philip’s vid? You know what they say about great minds… 😉

13. Sparrow says:

“Harold and Maude” has been my favorite movie for about 24 years now. My second favorite at the moment is “Ostrov” (The Island).

14. Mary says:

Is the nutritional yeast for cheese flavor? My son is allergic to yeast, so would it taste good without it?
    My favorite movie is History of the World.

15. Manda Rose says:

Favorite movie: Baraka!… and… Alice in Wonderland!

16. paul says:

Favorite movie is Adam’s Apple, I’v been eating raw cauliflower since ever, never realized it was a ressepy…haha

17. Carol says:

Shows my age, but my all-time favorite movie
    is “The Jerk” with Steve Martin!

18. andy reed says:

Awesome recipe, Thanks!!
    Best movie of late is
    Children of Huang Shi
    amazingly touching story of selfless service
    reminded me of
    Motorcycle Diaries.

19. Heather says:

That sounds pretty tasty. I imagine that a replacement for the yeast for Mary’s son could be wheat germ. The flavor would shift a bit but it would have a similar effect.

My favorite movie(s) Lord of the Rings series. I must have read the books 5 or 6 times when I was a teen.

But I do agree that The Secret is right on up there along with What the Bleep.

20. I love many movies…but what stands out in my mind just now are several:

Shadowlands
    What the Bleep Do We know
    August Rush
    Phantom of the Opera
    Rudy
    Sleepless in Seattle
    Freedom Writers
    The Truth about Dogs and Cats
    Flow
    these are all awesome–for a starter!
    Tracy in West Palm Beach, FL

21. Jalil says:

I have brewers yeast, wondering if that will work?

Godfather.

22. natalya says:

Thank you for the recipe. Sounds like a good one for family with small kids.
    At this time of the year we our watching over and over again Russian old Movie (1938) “Alexander Nevskiy”, because my 3 year old boy is asking for that one particularly (he is too much into that history period with his mind).

23. natalya says:

I always forget to ask Kevin. Do people eat Brewers yest or Nutritional yeast if they are trying to get rid of candida? We do not have candida infections, but just from curiosity asking.

24. Tara Burner says:

oh wow that looks good!!!

my fav movie: that’s hard because I have wide variety…Forest Gump was one, Remember the Titans, Fast & Furious (haven’t seen new one yet though), Twilight and some others too…too many to have just one favorite

25. Janece says:

Thanks for the recipe – looks easy and tasty, the best kind!

Favorite movie: Antonia’s Line

26. DansHands says:

“Brainstorm” is my all time favorite … about total sharing of actual experiences through technology and breaking all barriers to understanding each other…It’s also Natalie Wood’s last film. Then, there’s those old angel films like “Here Comes Mr Jordan” (there have been 2 remakes with different titles, but that was the original). There are way too many great films to name for me.

27. Heyward says:

“…favorite movie?”

It’s a toss-up between “The Heytrix” and “Be Heyward or Die Tryin'”

28. Nina Rao says:

My favorite movies are, it’s a tie, Something’s gotta give and Carlito’s way

29. Jessie says:

We can’t wait to try this popcorn recipe…

Favourite movies would have to be Wings of Desire, Committed, The Big Empty (short film) and Me and You and Everyone We Know.

Keep up the amazing work, guys! When are you coming to Canada (or have we already missed you)?

30. Jessica says:

I have two all time favorite movies – ET and Everafter!

Have seen the raw popcorn from Philip before but have never tried it since I don’t have the yeast – but dang it….I’m gonna get some yeast and make the popcorn! Thanks guys!

31. mark e says:

Favorite movie of all time? Almost Famous.

32. CINDY R. says:

My favorite movie is Two Moon Junction. August Rush is the second favorite right now. I really love August Rush.

33. kevin says:

office space or garden state

34. beachbunny says:

My favorite move is BRAVEHEART followed by the original 1950s version of The Day the Earth Stood Still.

35. “What dreams may come” starring Robin Williams. 2001 space oddesy is an old one but kind of interesting. “Romeo and Julet” the one with; I believe her name was Olivia de Hussy. I like variety so it’s kinda hard to pick just one. Mell Gibson’s “The Passion” was an intense movie.

36. Denise says:

Agreeing with Charles. The Passion was very Instense.

However, My favorite movie is Excalibur which was made in 1981.

37. Geri says:

wow! I am going to try the popcorn, definitely! My favorite movie is The Pursuit of Happiness!

38. LuAnn Agustin says:

Swiss Family Robinson!

39. Linda says:

I can’t WAIT to try this recipe! I was just thinking to myself about what snack I wish I could still eat and it would be okay. I knew that popcorn really isn’t good for you and I was willing to let it be my one food that I’d just say…Oh well, what the heck! NOW, I don’t have too! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this recipe. I know it will definitely help me stay on track.

I have quite a few movies that I like but I will say that the “Lord of the Rings” series had me going.

I’m actually a “trekky” and TODAY I’m going to be checking out the newest flick.

Have a great day everyone!

40. Bill says:

There are so many movies that I really like, but my favourite book and movie(s) of all time would have to be the Lord Of The Rings!

Without a doubt! 🙂

41. Kaz says:

Yay Turil – all the Ghibli movies are awesome!

But my all time fave would have to be Amelie 🙂
    It always makes me appreciate all of the little joys in my day like bursting a grape between my teeth or diving under my first wave of the day.

42. Joy says:

My favorite funny movie is one nobody seems to have heard of. Its “Undercover Blues” starring Kathleen Turner and Denis Quaid. Very funny movie.

43. Liana says:

AnneMarie and Kevin — Thank you for all that you do, you two have been such an important part of my raw journey since Jan.1st 09… And, I have to say that popcorn has been one of the biggest challenges for me to find a satisfying replacement (I would be eating pretty close to 100 percent raw most of the time if it weren’t for my organic air-popped corn addiction! ;)) I’ve been contemplating what to try, and along came your show (& thanks, Phillip, too)! Serendipitous! 🙂 (I’d honestly heard of something like it, but thought that a dehydrator was a necessity, so now I’m encouraged to experiment without one!)

Some of my Faves:
    Uncorked
    I Heart Huckabees
    MusicWithin
    Noel
    Death to Smoochy
    Hitchhiker’s Guide
    Off the Map
    The Philadelphia Story
    It’s a Wonderful Life
    Bringing up Baby
    Life is Beautiful

We look forward to meeting you both soon at Matt & Angela’s wedding!!! BlesSings 🙂

ps I know it was a while back now, but I’m SO glad you found J5, and he’s back safe and sound! We have 4 furry feline family members, 1 adventured away for 5 days and we were just beside ourselves with grief until our local animal telepath helped us to find him… Anyway, our hearts went out to you and it makes me smile every time I see him on your show now! 🙂

44. Laura says:

I love this recipe, it is one of our regular meals. I do the swame with broc but let it dehydrate to a crunchy nub sometimes.

Favorite of all times: The Fith Element
    Love Sci Fi and action and adventure

Thank you for such a great show.
    Laura

45. kristine says:

I love Jack Black and Christopher Walken

Envy is great.

School of ROCK!

46. May says:

Thank you for the recipe it looks fabulous and I am trying it the moment I finish this comment 🙂

I have 2 favourite movies “Weekend at Bernie’s” and “The Gods Must be Crazy”. They both make me laugh so hard my husband thinks I’m going to need an ambulance LOL

47. eileen says:

As always great, inspirational, fun recipes.

Movies: so many but here’s a few that I loved:
    Namsesake, Ghandi, Pay It Forward, Peaceful Warrior, The Contender, Stranger than Fiction

48. Melanie says:

Yay! Another way to get more veggies in my kids diet! You guys are a hoot to watch ;o)

49. Melanie says:

Oops, favorite movie… ummmmm hard to narrow it down. Gladiator maybe? Love the epics. Oh and I wanted to thank you for the other cauliflower recipe – the ‘mashed potato’ one. Used it yesterday in a nori wrap with sprouts and later with a mixed salad nori – super! Thank you ;o)

50. jane says:

Have you tried the recipe with anything other than cauli as I can’t eat cauli. What about doing real corn or maybe chopped mouli?

I live in UK but will be crossing the pond to Canada 15 July for 2 weeks. Any chance of seeing you in London Ontario during that time ?

51. Kim says:

my favorite movie is “THE NOTEBOOK”

52. Cindy says:

Oh so may favorite movies

the new Star Trek is on the top of my list these days…another Sci Fi Fan

I am dying to try the Cali-popcorn. It looks delicious.

Thanks for the video

53. Nadia says:

Hi All,

For the person that doesn’t want to use yeast you can also top the cauliflower with any nut cheese.

I like The Outsiders and just saw the new Star Trek which was very cool.

Nadia

54. Rhonda D says:

Favorite movie: Like Water for chocolate. Omg some else likes this movie:O.
    I am going to try this popcorn recipe when i get home. we also slice up cucumbers and with lime juice and some chili powder.
    really good.

55. Cindy in Marin says:

All time favorite movie- Defending Your Life. Another very funny one is The Animal.

Gonna try making that popcorn now since I have a head of cauli I was wondering what to do with!

56. Deirdre says:

When I’ve used nutritional yeast in the past, it knocked me out. I literally felt like I had been drugged. Too much sodium in it. What else could substitute for the salt and yeast?

Favorite movies:
    Paper Moon
    The Sound of Music
    Pursuit of Happyness
    Hitch
    Heaven Can Wait
    Barefoot in the Park
    My Best Friend’s Wedding

57. John says:

Definitely going to have to try this recipe, sounds awesome. My favorite movie…I have to give a top three because I can’t decide on one.

Caddyshack
    Pulp Fiction
    12 Monkeys

58. Chel says:

wowza, felt that guy’s good vibes all the way in omaha! what a groovy cat 🙂

my favorite movie is whatever i’m watching at the moment. last night i watched lars and the real girl-pretty darn good!!

59. Brent says:

Since discovering european movies mostly spanish ones..I now have loads of favs, but one old classic that springs to mind is Shawshank Redemption’ PS, keep up the great work guys ive enjoyed watching your shows:))

60. Laura says:

That’s a really hard question to answer. I love True Romance but But just about any comedy with Jim Carey is fun.

I love the recipe today. I don’t really like cauliflower raw so haven’t been eating it. But I think made this way, I will enjoy it.
    Thanks.

61. Steve says:

War, Transporter,Fast and Furious
    Tried the popcorn today, was it good.
    WH had purple Cauliflower on sale, also added Kelp Cayenne Dulse and Sea Salt.
    It does taste great!
    Steve

62. Kat Kanning says:

Favorite movie: To Kill a Mockingbird 🙂

63. Sharyn says:

I am with Phillip and several others here on:
    “Matrix” (along with the book,”A Course In Miracles”)…I hope you know the connection…
    “Lord of the Rings” and the books (from back in the 60’s)
    “Resurrection” with Ellen Burstein
    and also, “Like Water for Chocolate”
    And hey! I was born in Danbury. There is somehting about the water…

64. Karen says:

I’ve made a very similar raw popcorn recipe a couple times and am going to make this one right away. I don’t like it dehydrated as much as eating it right away.

My favorite movie is one that most people have never heard of: “The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill”. It’s available on Netflix but hard to find elsewhere.

65. Amy says:

Favorite Movie: FIREPROOF

Cool Recipe…will definetly try! =)

66. Dana says:

Awesome recipe, will check it out tomorrow for our Friday evening at the (home) movies … fave = Cocoon.
    Think you guys are awesome!

67. Sigrun says:

Cool recipe … Trying it out tonight!!
    All time favorite movie: Braveheart !!

68. Leela says:

My Favorite movie is Harrison Ford starrer “SIX DAYS SEVEN NIGHTS”. Completely fell for him after watching it. Actually i like all the movies of his… LOVVVVVVE HIM!!! 🙂

My types are mostly the romantic ones with comedy. Also like Adventurous, thrillers..!

69. Deena says:

Is nutritional yeast the samething as Brewers’ yeast?

70. DIdi says:

How can one limit oneself to one?
    Amelie
    The Reader
    Bliss
    Dance with Wolves
    Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
    the lists goes on …..

71. Sheri says:

Phillip is so awesome! I was so psyched to see him here. I ran into him at Raw Spirit Festival in Sedona and he was just as nice in person. He really inspires me to keep trying to do raw and so do you guys. I tried a really strict raw food program 3 times and just couldn’t stick to it. It made me feel very bad about myself. So your High Raw book is something I can’t wait to read… about that… didn’t have time to download and when I went back to it later, I couldn’t because I’m already registered as having ordered it. Not sure what to do. I tried to contact you through email, but the site isn’t allowing that right now – sorry.

72. Wendi Dee says:

I love Philip. 🙂

I miss you guys. Every time I see another of your videos, it makes me wish we all (in the raw food community) lived closer to each other.

For the popcorn, I do the same thing but I add some oil and it’s soooo good!

I have many favorite movies, The Matrix being at the top of the list.

*blows kisses*

Wendi
    XOXOXO

p.s. so happy the system doesn’t think I’m SPAM anymore!

73. alice says:

Life is Beautiful! #1 movie of all time! Uplifting, lovely, beuatiful!
    Closely followed by Braveheart and Sound of Music…I’m such a nerd.

74. MAFER says:

WOW THIS POP CORN IS THE BEST EVER, I MIXED YELLOW Cauliflower AND WHITE Cauliflower, ADDED LIME TO THE RECIPIE AND LET ME TELL YOU, I ALMOST DIDN’T HAVE ANY TO DEHYDRATE.
    THE DEHYDRATE VERSION WITH LIME IS GREAT ALSO.
    WE USED TO EAT POPCORN WITH LIME WITH MY DAUGHTER SO THIS IS PERFECT.
    THANKS!!!!

75. gloria says:

I loved that recipe, Ill make it tonight.

I have seen Brother sun, sister moon several times, beautiful movie.
    I also love:
    The way we where
    Melody (with Mark Lester, from the 70s)
    Don Juan de Marco
    Funny Girl
    Yentl
    Benjamin Button
    PS I love you

All my love to all of you……….

76. Estrella says:

My favorite movie is a tie between Princess Bride and Pride and Prejudice. So many great lines! Thanks for the popcorn recipe. I really enjoyed watching Philip demo it. I’ve tried his Green Popcorn recipe in the past and found it utterly scrumptious.

77. Stacy says:

Where do you purchase your “Sun Fire Sea Salt”…that sounds very interesting, and want to order it from a source you’ve found trustworthy.

Thanks bunches 🙂
    Stacy

78. Melanie says:

My favorite movie is “What the Bleep Do We Know?” I can hardly wait to try the RAW Popcorn yummy!

79. zyxomma says:

Popcorn looks RAWSOME, will try it. And yes, Kevin, I’ve read High Raw. No favorite movie, but a list would include: The Advocate, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951, last year’s remake was heartless, soulless, mindless, and lifeless), A Zed and Two Naughts (ZOO), Fido (fun with zombies), and many from the 30s. Health and peace, all!

80. my movie: the dark crystal! But yes, also Brother sun sister moon!
    Thanks for the show.
    Feels kindof lonely heren in the Netherlands…but we did have HRM this weekend. So good to know that sungazing stuff.(Hira Ratan Manek)
    Love,
    Jolanda.

81. Lisa lu says:

Harold and Maude!

82. Delaney says:

This recipe sounds great.

The Way We Were

83. mary kay says:

How long do you all dehydrate the raw popcorn? Until what consistency/dryness?

Just curious.

Thanks for all you do.

Am really psyched to bring the kids to the Raw Spirit Festival in D.C Labor Day Weekend.

Mary Kay

84. mary kay says:

Oops, almost forgot: fave movie of all time = One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

Mary Kay

85. nomi says:

fun!
    loved reading everyone’s favorite movies. I too have many and am also a total trekkie. Loved the latest trek movie.
    One of my favs, sci fi with meaning from oh so long ago: Enemy Mine
    Love y’all
    Nomi S.

86. Pat the Irondoll says:

Tossing the ingredients in the bag sounded like popping popcorn!

87. Lauri Harvey says:

Nomi, I had forgotten about Enemy Mine. I saw it years ago and loved it. Maybe I’ll rent it.
    Shawshank Redemption
    Ghost
    Back to the Future (I’m a geek…I like time travel movies)
    Love feel good movies.
    Love movies like The Secret and What the Bleep..just bought a new one called The Leap that’s pretty good.

I’m heading to the movies with my nephew right now. Going to see AdventureLand.

Lauri Harvey
    Austin, Tx.

88. linda p says:

I always have popcorn with coconut oil and n. yeast. Its my one last non-raw thing. this sounds better, THANKS!
    fav movie..oh boy
    without a paddle
    cheers

89. Barbara says:

Lord of The Rings (my precious!)

90. Sita says:

Philip, you are one of the few people that I have ever heard mention Brother Sun and Sister Moon, which is up there as one of my favorite movies of all time! Thank you for mentioning it, because I think that movie deeply affects those that see it. All life is one!
    Sita

91. Romeodawg says:

Actually I thought the recipe sounded TERRIBLE — I could not imagine eating raw cauli, as I can barely eat it cooked. But I know it’s really good for me…

So I tried it, and I’m actually on my second head of raw cauli now in the last few days. Unbelievable!

I’m excited about trying it in the dehydrator tomorrow, but I was really surprised that I liked this raw as much as I did.

Fave movie of all time is Jesus of Montreal — amazing modern version of the passion play… Hysterical, dramatic, and heartbreaking.

92. Pam says:

Hi,
    I love visual media. My all time favorite Still
    LOST HORIZON

93. Lauren Walker says:

Okay, SO not trying to be a wet blanket here, because I WANT to love this recipe! But I thought that it was unhealthy to eat cruciferous veggies like cauliflower raw, because of their thyroid-suppressing properties? Here’s one of my sources of that info: http://www.bodyecology.com/06/11/16/cook_vegetables_maximum_nutrition.php

I’d be interested to hear what others have read on the topic.

94. devilchasnme says:

American Graffiti – reminds me of my younger days

95. so excited to find this! 🙂 i am going on a plane this coming week and was searching for snacks. i will dehydrate this and bring it along with me – and some kale chips, thanks to annmarie!
    fave movie – dirty dancing. 😛
    xo
    dani

96. Oooh, that looks SOOOOO good! I can’t wait until my 100 day juice fast is over next week so that I can try this raw popcorn. I was just wondering what I could use to substitute traditional popcorn, now I know!

97. Marie1225 says:

My favorite movie is Facing the Giants 😉 I really like Fireproof too!

98. Ferris Beulers Day Off. Love that movie!!! Question… How long and at what temp to dehydrate?

99. Claire says:

“The Fifth Element” is my current all-time favourite movie, but the best life-changing movie I’ve seen was “What the Bleep Do We Know?”.

I went to the movies yesterday, after recently going raw, and was wanting popcorn – so I am SOOooo glad to find this video and I will have to go to the movies again soon just so I can take my own cauliflower popcorn! Thank you!