Raw Food Recipe: Lauren’s Lemon Zest Bars – The Renegade Health Show Episode #302

Wednesday May 6 | BY |

Today, we’re going to feature a raw food recipe from one of our readers!

Lauren wrote a while back sharing her recipe for lemon zest bars and so today, here they are…

Annmarie ran with this show! 🙂

Check it out…

Your question of the day: What have you given a host who let you stay at your home, or what have you been given?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Here’s the raw food recipe!

Lemon Zest Bars by Lauren

Maybe you prefer orange… or lime. These work, too 🙂

Zest of two small Lemons
1tsp juice of lemon
2 c almonds, brasil nuts, or cashews
3-4 large medjool dates (or about ¼ c raisins)

Pulverize nuts in food processor. Add remaining ingredients and continue to blend. Press mixture into a square pan. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving. (Refrigeration is optional.)

More Events…

Wednesday, May 13th, 7-9PM, Greenwich, CT. High Raw – a Simple Approach to Health, Eating and Saving the Planet, an inspirational talk and raw food potluck with special guests Kevin & Annmarie Gianni of The Renegade Health Show. $20. Hosted by the Greenwich Raw Food Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/greenwich-ct/ and raw food coach Shona Gilbert. RSVP through the meetup required.

PS. We’ll get to High Raw principle #3 tomorrow!!!

1. barbara says:

The bars look very yummy. Think I’ll try them soon.
    One gift we gave was a tea set. You know those wooden boxes that hold a variety of tea bags that you can offer to company? We had so much tea while we were there, the idea seemed to fit.
    I’ll be visiting a friend in June and was thinking of making a raw cheesecake for her, but your bars may be even better.

2. kerry says:

great job, annmarie! i’m going to go make these right now to surprise my family. they always appreciate a “sweet treat”. : ) keep up the great work!

3. dede says:

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!
    Well – without a doubt – the BEST hostess gift I have ever received….were the lemon zest bars that were in my freezer when I came home from work today 🙂 Thanks you SOOO much!!! What a surprize!!
    …and it was just wild to see MY kitchen on the Renegade Health Show :-).
    For any of you that haven’t had the chance to meet Kevin and Annmarie in person..yet…just know that they ARE…..the “real thing”…two very genuine, generous and sweet souls and I count myself very fortunate to call them my friends :-).
    …gotta go try a lemon bar 🙂 yummmm
    hugs, Dede

4. Debbie says:

My best host gift given by me was a set of towels and a Vermont Teddy Bear!

5. diane West says:

Im trying to find fresh dates,do you guys know where I can purchase them, and when exactly they are in season? thanks I know its off the subject, but Im not gettting any answers any where else, thanks diane

6. Evita says:

Oh my goodness, these look so easy to make and sound delicious – thank you for sharing!

7. Sue says:

Today my husband and I celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and what better treat for that special day than Lemon Zest Bars! I added a few dried cherries along with the dates and they were awesome. Thanks Ann Marie to you and Kevin for all the great recipes and advice, I look forward to every show.

8. bryan & wendy says:

we housesat one time & we burnt popcorn in the microwave. It was my bosses house!!!We tried lemon juice in the microwave ,potpourri in the microwave you name it we tried it !!!We wound up cleaning the entire house from top to bottom in one night!Him & his wife were fairly cool about it but I think they were really pissed …I completely understand.That was many years ago just thought you would enjoy the laugh!

9. hey that was so fun to see almost all this show done by Annmarie! We don’t eat raw – as of yet – but Wendi Dee suggested converting my family (and myself?) thru desserts – so I’ll try this! Thanks, Jacalyn (north of Calgary, Canada)

10. marlene says:

I received a scented jasmine candle which happens to be one of my favorite flowers because of the delicious smell! (the guests didn’t know how much I loved that smell)

11. John says:

I received a nice outdoor thermometer, with a rainbow image in the background. Makes me think of my friends, every time I glance at the temp.

BTW: Annmarie did a stellar job today. We love you Kev, but it was nice to see Annmarie go solo.

12. CINDY says:

well the peaches on my tree are a little bigger than golf balls but I can not wait to make this jam
    Sweet Southern Peach Jam
    Yield 1 cup

1 cup frozen peaches, thawed
    3 dates, pitted, soaked 20 minutes, drained
    1 tablespoon raw agave nectar

Blend all of the ingredients together THIS IS A RECIPE I FOUND ON THE NET. I GUESS YOU COULD USE HONEY OR MAPLE SYRUP TO REPLACE THE AGAVE NECTAR

13. Vanessa says:

Hi Kevin and Ann Marie,
    Lemon zest bars look great. Thanks for all the great information. I just wanted to let you know your videos have a bar with you web address across the bottom of the video which enables you to see the food prep. Not sure if there is a way to move it or eliminate it during the food preparation. It would really help if you could see what is going on.

Keep up the good work! Vanessa

14. Carol says:

Annmarie you rock! One itty bitty suggestion to both of you: figure out how to keep the show name tag from covering up what you’re trying to show us. It’s a little aggravating to have to look thru the title, although regular TV shows do the same thing too.

You guys are terrific and we appreciate so much all the information and encouragement we receive from you to help us improve our health! Thank you!!!

15. Geri says:

Annemarie you are so cute! That was very well done!!! Bravo! Watch out Kevin, you might not have a job! 🙂

16. marlene says:

Sorry, forgot to add great post! Can’t wait to see your next post!

17. Bill Murphy says:

Go Annmarie 🙂

Most house guests we have these days are travelling Raw Fooders so we get left with produce, mainly fruit. They turn up with loads and usually leave us with whatever is left.

The last house guests that we had were actually Victoria and Valya Boutenko, they left us with loads of tropical fruit. Yummm!!! 🙂

18. Linda says:

I helped my friend monetarily. She was gracious enough to let me stay with her while I was on vacation. I didn’t have to stay in a hotel (she lives in Atlanta, GA). She just recently moved into her new apartment and I helped her with the water bill. When she took me to the Amtrak station, neither of us saw a sign that said “don’t park here”…They put a “boot” on her car so I gave her the money for that to be taken off.

She was thankful because she needs the car for work everyday.

19. Joseph says:

Can you let us know what kind of processor that is?
    Also the banner thing was covering up Annmarie preparing the bars.
    They look great when I starting putting sweets back in my diet I will try it.

The most interesting gift I gave was a mezuzah in a nice brass case.
    Noticed the Jewish relatives I was staying with did not have one by the front door and placed it there while they were gone.
    Received many thanks and to this day it is still there,

20. Gail says:

Hi Annmarie

all this travelling seems to be doing you the world of good very confident speaker loved the show.

21. Nadia says:

These bars look great and so easy… love the idea of adding cherries to them too. I think one of the best gifts to give is to clean up for your hosts. do the laundry, wash the windows, mow the lawn, or whatever needs doing.

Thanks for the shows!

22. Steve says:

Great show Annmarie!
    I will try Lauren’s Lemon Zest Bars you made on the show tonight. Annmarie you have very beautiful eyes and a pleasing voice. You and Kevin keep up the wonderful shows.

23. Brad says:

I eat as much raw as possible but do consume MEAT. Grass fed beef chicken fish….why is it such a trick to eating raw and vegan if it’s a natural thing to do. Why are heart attacks as common in vegans as in non vegans???

24. Elaina harman says:

Annmarie!!!
    Awesome presentation, you have been hiding those great presenter talents from us huh?

Bars look wonderful also.

I try and listen to anything the host talks about to get an idea of their possible needs or better yet “wants”

Thank you both for all that you do, you certainly do pay it forward and I am sure that somewhere you get surprises also.

25. Heidi says:

I just wanted to say I’m so proud of AnnMarie doing the show mostly on her own! I did almost feel sad though without Kevin till he poped in lol. I get 95% of my raw food support from you guys, keep up the good work!

26. Michael says:

Thanks for another great show and a delectable dessert. Best hostess gift I’ve received is being taken out to dinner. Recent gift I’ve given a host is a CD loaded with interviews of raw food experts. Next visit I’ll leave my host a collection of green smoothie recipes that I’ve created over the last several months. Keep having fun and making such a positive difference in our world.

27. Sweet Cicely says:

I think it was sooo nice that you took some of her lovely groceries and made her some thing with them before you left her home. I think it would get very expensive to always leave gifts ~~~however you took the time to make her something (to make her life easier~~after her guests left)!!!!Some times after guests leave there is a emptyness~~~and you left her with some sweetness!!!
    You two are great~~~Happy Trails
    Debra from Minnesota

28. deb says:

Love the look of the new web site. And it’s so smooth to navigate!
    Best host gift received: aryuvedic cook book
    I usually leave something with some meaning to the hostess, in addition to “heart” rocks my husband finds wherever we walk.

29. Annmarie says:

Thanks everyone!! I kinda like doing the shows without Kevin there 🙂

30. Elizabeth Deedrick says:

Love the show Annmarie! Your a real “Natural”! Leaving, and sharing Lemon Bars,very thoughtful! (Woman’s Touch!) Elizabeth (Kentucky)

31. Patricia Autry says:

Annmarie
    you are a great cook and your personality really came through this time. How cute.

I always tell my husband, the raw green monster, stay out of my kitchen, maybe this might work sometimes with Kevin.

Just kidding Kevin – you are great too.
    Great recipe Annmarie
    Patricia

32. Lemon zest bars are great. I haven’t licked the bowl since I was a kid. Also tossed in
    some soaked sunflower seeds I had on hand.
    Ordering Ani’s book today. Everyone will want to go raw with those lemon zest bars.
    P.S. Made them into balls. I no longer use
    cacao either (same side effects); but the lemon zest balls were far superior to anything made with cacao. Thanks again,
    Kevin and Ann Marie. You are truly wonderful
    people.

33. P.S. I meant Lauren in that last email.

34. thanks for a great show Annemarie!

Can you tell me please “Why you shouldn’t use the water that almonds were soaking in?”
    Also the recipe on screen says refrigerate but AnneMarie says freezer – would there be a difference in the end porduct??

These sound yum I like recipes with only a few ingredients and espicially ones that are easy to find!

On a completely different note I would like to say a great big Thankyou for post the Chi-Running video I have tried this is and it works a wonder! I have ordered the book!
    There is lot’s of helpful ideas for running and his walking on their website!
    Maybe we could have another video with Danny

Thanks Kevin for letting AnneMarie a turn at the camera, soon she will be a professional!
    bye