Raw Food Recipe for Cucumber Arame Salad – The Renegade Health Show Episode #297

Wednesday Apr 29 | BY |

We’re back in NJ at Annmarie’s sister’s home and Ann wanted to show Lisa how to make a raw food salad with seaweed…

This recipe is super easy and a crowd pleaser… all you need is some cucumber, arame and a few other simple things you probably already have in the house!

Check it out…

Your question of the day: What is your favorite seaweed?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

This recipe is adapted from Donna Gates’ The Body Ecology Diet. You can check out her site by clicking here!

Raw Food Recipe – Cucumber Arame Salad

1.5 Oz of Arame
4 cucumbers, peeled and very thinly sliced
2 tsp. sea salt
1 red pepper, diced
1 small red onion, diced
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp unrefined oil
pinch of pepper

Soak arame for 15 mins in enough water to cover. Sprinkle sea salt on cucumbers and let set for several minutes to release juices. Discard soaking water from arame. Chop arame and add to cucumbers. Add all other ingredients and toss! 🙂

1. cathy says:

Cute sister.

2. cathy says:

Oops I forgot to comment on the recipe. This looks like a fresh clean take of a diffrent type of salad. I copied the recipe and would love to make this. I have never tried arame yet so I will have to search online for some. I would like to see more diffrent vegetable dishes like this from you guys. Cool thank you all! (kev stay outta the sun)

3. Nicole says:

I’ve only had wakame in sushi, and I’ve had “dried seaweed” that you soak and it gets plump; it was pretty ocean-y tasting…not so good. I’d like to try arame since you said it has not real taste of its own. Sushi wakame or dulse are my choices.

4. ann gleason says:

Dulse!
    My mother recently told me how, as a child, she used to buy a paper lunch bag full of dulse for 15 cents at the corner store, then go home and eat it while reading a book – this was in the 60’s in Northern Maine!!

5. Vaughn Sadekni says:

I live near Pitt and hiziki has always been around $17 a bag. How much did you guys pay for it? I suggest buying those things in bulk to save some cash 🙂

6. DebB says:

Thank you for this recipe! I’m new to sea veggies. I have used a little Nori before.

Question please – this looks like Eden brand Arame. When I looked it up on their site, it says it’s cooked. Another site says it’s cooked for 5 hours to tenderize. Is this what you used?

I am not opposed to using cooked – I just wanted to make sure, perhaps there’s a raw arame, I don’t know.

Can anyone help me with this?

Debbie *Ü*

7. donna harris says:

i am going to make this salad. this will be a winner i know

8. dede says:

Annmarie!!! – you are so-o-o-o good with the knife!!!
    Hi Lisa – glad to meet you 🙂
    Anxious to see ya next week – hugs, Dede

9. Vicki says:

Dulse! And, also, dulse granules.

10. Susan says:

Hey Guys – How long are you in Pittsburgh? I’m heading up this coming Monday for a wedding and will be there through the end of the week.

11. marijana pontoni says:

I just adore my nori rolls, but I guess I love arame to because they have mild flavor. I never was a fish lover person so I like seaweeds with mild taste. I like dulse too.

12. Didiydi says:

Just bought the arame the other day so this is perfect!
    Somebody said it yesterday, and I think it should be said more often- thank you for all you do Kev and AnnMarie. It’s very humbling, and we take you for granted. Thank you for spreading the information, sharing free recipes and sharing your life with all of us.

13. Mary says:

This looks so good. Let’s see if my family might eat it?!
    I have only tried the kind of seaweed in Sushi. I am wondering where one might even buy it? I will have to look around.
    Now, off to buy ingredients. Yum!

14. Tina says:

My favorite well I love Nori,Dulse,I put Kelp in salad dressings.
    My favorite is Wakame on Salad it is crunch.
    I Love seaweed in almost everything instead of salt.

15. giselle cioraru says:

AnnMarie your sister looks exactely like u

16. Toni says:

Would you all visit/ interview Matthew Kenney. He has a new book out: Entertaining in the Raw. His work is very unique and worth investigating! (matthewkenneylifestyle.com)

17. Connie says:

My uncle used to bring dulse when he came to visit. I LOVED it! But I haven’t had it in years and don’t know where to buy it now, or if hubby and kids would eat it. Still, you’ve motivated me to check it out–because I’m growing cucumbers this year and I think I’m going to need creative ways to use it up!

Thanks so much for everything. I love watching your shows. You sure do get around!

Connie

18. Joseph says:

I am still testing the waters with sea veggie.
    My experience with seaweed is it is always fishy tasting.
    If I could find that does not have the fish taste I will use it.
    Used to drink a vitamin water years ago that was made from ocean water. You would drink only about a shot of it. Worked really well just have not seen it in a Long Time.

19. Alena Liska says:

Limu ogo and manauea are my favorites eaten with raw fish in Hawaii.
    Raw foods started ova’ dea.
    love to you,
    Aleana
    (I am also Celiac, so I am gluten free- but just because I can’t eat something doesn’t mean I want to make a ersatz copy of some decadant unhealthy dessert.
    I’d rather have a green drink, or a beautiful organic apple.
    Love the seaweeds

20. John says:

Looking forward to trying this; I’ve never used arame before. I haven’t tried many kinds of seaweed so I have no idea what my favorite is yet.

21. Elena says:

This looks very yummy! Thank you, Annmarie and Kevin! My favorite is dulse. I eat it like crazy with almost everything, both flakes and leaves.

22. Laura says:

Out of the ones I’ve tried, I’d have to say dulse because I can eat it without anything else and still like the taste.

23. Amanda says:

I don’t have a favorite yet as I have only had one or two kinds. But I was wondering, is applecider vinegar really that good tasting? Because I have tried it a couple of times in recipes and thought it was really gross. Could it just be the company I am buying?

24. MomT says:

I really enjoy your tutorials. Thank you so much! I use Dulse in my salads all the time. I Also like Kambo/Kelp. I’ve seen Arame in the Health food store that I go to, but wasn’t sure how to use it, so never bought it. Now I can’t wait to try it! I like to use Bragg’s Raw Apple Cider Vinegar and really enjoy that flavor. Thanks again. Keep up the good work. Be well.

25. Chana says:

I too was looking everywhere for Hiziki for some time & was told by the ownner of a health food store that it was taken off the market as it was found to be contaminated by mercury. Still have not found any in Toronto.I like all the weeds. Feel much calmer (the minerals) when i eat them.

26. darlene says:

Thanks for all the yummy recipes. I enjoy watching you guys and will definitely try this salad. thanks again.

27. natalya says:

I bought hiziki just today in our local Health food store on Commonwealth Ave. in Downtown of Fullerton in Orange County, CA. It was $8.89 for each bag (I took all three which were in the shelf).

28. jason says:

Can the soak water from the arame be used as a plant food?

29. DebB says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie ~ I had to order the Arame, so I just made the salad today and we enjoyed it very much! Thanks for sharing this recipe, we were happy to be able to include some sea veggies in our day.

Debbie *Ü*

30. Jessica says:

This recipe is not raw! Arame, like most sea veggies are cooked before they are dried. It even says on the package of eden arame that they dry it, cook for 5 HOURS, and dry it again.

31. dc says:

I’ve been adding arame to my miso soup and it plumps up fine without pre-soaking. Is there any reason to worry about not pre-soaking and discarding the soak water?

32. Terry says:

I am a Wild Ocean Food Provider on the West Coast of California. I sustainably hand harvest WILD RAW seaweed from April-August every year. We sun dry our seaweed and then store it for the months ahead. Most Japanese seaweeds are either farmed, not wild) or are boiled and then dried to make them tender- not raw (like hijiki and arame). You can trust that the seaweed from Ocean Harvest Sea Vegetable Company in Mendocino County is of TOP quality and completely raw! Not only that, but it tastes divine. Especially the silky sea palm (compares in size to hiziki)but tastes so much better and my favorite is to just eat it plain out of the bag. We like to call it the sea pretzel!
    Check us out at http://www.ohsv.net Let me know if you have any questions!

In gratitude,