A Raw Food Breakfast with Chia and Lucuma Powder – The Renegade Health Show Episode #268

Thursday Mar 19 | BY |

Everyone always wants to know what to eat for breakfast if you’re into raw foods…

Today, Annmarie will show you how to make a chia and lucuma powder porridge. This was the first “live” local show with everyone from the meetup in Austin.

So we had a group of 40+ people who ALL enjoyed the recipe… talk about social proof!

(Sorry to all of you guys who were in Austin to see this… you’ll have to just watch again!)

Your question of the day: What can you do to help build your own healthy community?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

If you want to get chia and lucuma powder at a discount, go ahead and check out the Inner Circle… we give 12% discount to all members! Click here for a 30 day free trial!

Important Time Change…

Sikh Center of San Antonio for Friday, 20th March from 05:00 to 07:00 at the back hall.
Sikh Center of San Antonio
6011 Hollyhock Rd, San Antonio, TX
(210) 696-1009

1. Sean wagner says:

Thanks a bunch !, This will be useful, and I know im going to enjoy it. I love your shows, You guys are crazy and so full of enery ! ROCK ON !

2. Yariv says:

AnneMarie said that you need to soak the chia seeds for about 10 minutes. Why is there a need to soak the chia seeds?

3. Bill says:

I cannot view this video, it says that it is no longer available 🙁

Yariv, you have to soak Chia Seeds first as they can soak up an incredible amount of water. If you eat them without soaking first, they will saok up water from inside your stomach and you can get dehydrated I believe.

They are also good for thickening smoothies.

I make a Chia porridge most mornings for my son. I soak the seeds in Almond milk for 15 minutes (you have to stir them in or they sit on top and do not soak), then add honey.

Sometimes I have some, which then I add Goji Berries and sometimes flavour the almond milk with dates, vanilla and orange zest.

Delicious!!! 😀

4. Jalil says:

soaking the chia seeds makes them gel up.

5. Jenni says:

i’m pretty shy but I’m trying to build community with my new zine, Rawk You Like a Hurricane, yay! (I’ll give you guys a copy if you come through San Francisco on your trip!)

6. natalya H says:

Because they need to expend enough outside of your body, otherwise they will use your own bogy fluid for that and you’ll be dehydrated.

7. Karen says:

I was there last night and it was amazing, thank you so much for what you do. I have a question the water “bag” Annmarie can you please provide the web site where we can order one. Thanks I hope you guys had a great day and travel well. Ya’ll take care.
    Karen

8. Bill says:

Ok…video fixed…YAY 😀

I think one of the best ways to build a healthy community is through organising potlucks and picnics and inviting people to come along and try healthy food that is also delicious.

9. colette says:

hi annemarie & kevin, i am the natural living mgr. for henrys market here in temecula ca. and my clerk mike has been in touch with your people to arrangement for you guys to come out to visit us and our raw food following. well we are soooo excitied for your people called “my people” and looks like your coming april 2nd!! be ready for a fantastic welcoming and looking forward to meeting you guys in person since we watch you EVERY nite on our computer! see you soon, in peace and health colette allen p.s. love the shows

10. Patricia J Allen says:

Question— In the April issue of Health & Healing, p. 4, Dr. Julian Whitaker states he stopped recommending flaxseed oil several years ago because studies (although not definitive) show a possible link between alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) the dominant oil in flaxseed oil and prostate cancer. He recommends whole ground flaxseed as studies show beneficial effects on prostate and other cancers. AFter reading Cancer-Free Your Guide to Gentle, Non-Toxic Healing, 3rd edition (Nov. ’08) by Bill Henderson I have been eating CC/FO for breakfast. (Organic cottage cheese, Barleans flax oil with lignans, almonds, blueberries, banana and 1 pkt stevia in Cuisinart) What is your take on flax oil and why? Will look for chia seed breakfast recipe! Sounds great. Keep Living Awesome!

11. Melissa Rei says:

Could you please post the amounts of ingredients needed for this Chia breakfast recipe?

Thanks!

12. Esoteric Engineer says:

What about the phytates?

Most nuts and seeds contain phytates, which are enzyme inhibitors and anti-nutritional. Because of this the nuts and seeds need to be soaked for several hours (overnight) in order to neutralise the phytates.

I know that hemp seeds do not need soaking, as they do not contain phytates. But do chia seeds? Should the chia seeds be soaked overnight before use, or do they not contain phytates?

Not many people talk about phytates when recommending nuts and seeds. It would be great if you could cover this important issue in a future show, including which nuts and seeds do not require soaking (I read that Brazil nuts and walnuts do not contain phytic acid but almonds do).

Thanks.

13. Melody J. Nelson says:

I am creating a raw food community in Buffalo MN. I am using a “40 day raw food challenge” to introduce people to raw foods. I put out fliers and put it on the radio and talked to people at grocery stores and other places. I just started it on Monday and I have 9 other people doing some level of raw food with me. I am challenging myself to go to 100% raw for the full 40 days which is a whole new level for me. Some are using raw dessert to break their sugar addictions and that is a good thing. I always make some raw foods when I go to friends or families homes. And anytime I serve a dessert at a party I always make a real yummy raw dessert.

14. Erin says:

Does anyone know what lucuma’s glycemic index is? I am on an anti-candida diet and am wondering if it is okay for me to eat. I have read on many websites that it is low glycemic, but I can’t find the exact glycemic index. Thanks so much!

15. I eat mostly raw and have been adding eating cauliflower/broccoli/zucchini raw for my dinners lately. I have read how it cancer preventative. Then I came across this in an article (can be found at: http://www.life-enthusiast.com/index/Education/Enzymes/Essentials_of_Enzyme_Therapy)
    Dr. Edward Howell stated :’vegetables of the cruciferous family (broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and kale) should not be eaten raw. They contain thyroid-inhibiting factors that should be destroyed by cooking.’
    Any thoughts on this?

Thanks ,Michele

16. Katie says:

Creating a meet-up group on the web is a great way to find interested people in your area and start a raw community. Also, showing movies like Simply Raw and inviting people to attend is a great ice breaker…as long as you provide some raw munchies.

Question: When Im vegetarian or raw, I stop menstruating. The only way Ive been able to start again naturally is by eating some meat. Any idea why this is the case? I dont have to gain weight necessarily, just eat some meat (primarily red).

17. Bette says:

Great show.You are intense Kevin. haha Energy!!!! How fun……love the banana thrown atcha….hahaha.

18. Deborah D says:

we use MeetUp.com in our area…. it costs a little something each year and you can recover that cost by asking for a small donation at each monthly meeting…. it’s a great way to bring together like minded “raw food” interests

19. Love this episode! What great energy there at Dr. Rita Marie’s gathering! Regarding the chia pudding, I can’t really eat bananas, but I make the chia porridge in a similar way by soaking the chia for about 10 minutes along with some goji berries, adding cinnamon (non-glycemic), adding a small amount of lucuma powder, some soaked sunflower seeds, and sometimes walnuts or other nuts. I love it! Annmarie taught me this a few weeks ago, and now my daughter and my boyfriend eat it too! Thanks Annmarie!

20. Joey says:

Where can I get the recipe for The raw chia/banana/lucuma/vanilla breakfast?
    thanks
    Joey

21. Carol says:

Thank you for your knowledge and sharing. I have been eating living foods for almost 4 years and have never, I said never felt better. I would love to start a gathering here in Corona, CA to enjoy other like minded people. Our family would love to meet the both of you. I would love for you to come over for a meal sometime. Kevin I met up with you at “The Best Weekend Ever 3”, and you told me about Blood testing. Thank you.
    God Bless the both of you on your journey.
    Peace and Blessings,
    Carol 🙂

22. Vicki says:

Hi Kevin & Annmarie,

In your opinion, will the passage of Bills HR 875 & S 425 lead to the end of small organic farms and/or Farmer’s Markets? I’m very concerned–I purchase a lot of organic foods from local Farmer’s Markets to feed my family. Thanks!

23. Linda says:

I am new to this and I am trying to get some of the food supplies so I can try different foods. I would like to know where I can find the recipes for the food that you usually show on the internet. I have listened to all of the video that are on the web this week. I would really appreciate help on this if it is possible. Thank You!

24. Ginny says:

Oh–that chia banana porridge looks awesome!! I’ll be making that in the morning. Right now I’m drinking a warm green soup for breakfast. We’re in Sedona right now, and it’s kind of cool. So the warm soup feels good. This is basically a green smoothie with only a quarter of an apple in it to sweeten it and LOTS of veggies. I’m finding that the fruit/veggie smoothies haven’t been holding me long enough to fuel a good strenuous hike. So I started decreasing the fruit and it comes out tasty and lasts several hours. I start off with a base of fruit or nut milk (not strained) and then build, using whatever veggies I have. I add a little EVOO to make it richer. Rotating the veggies makes it look and taste different every day. But, I’m going to run with that chia porridge. Thanks so much. You guys are awesome!

25. Christa says:

This was a great show, I really love when you guys show recipes that are easy to make and not overwhelming to try. I made some of the porriage this morning and surprisingly, my three year old enjoyed it! I used Salba grain instead of chia seed, added some hemp seed, gogi berries, camu powder, a superfruit powder and some ground up bee pollen. It was really good, and really satisfying which is sometimes hard to attain when eating raw foods only. Thanks again for all that both of you do!!