An Awesome Hemp Protein Smoothie – The Renegade Health Show Episode #260

Monday Mar 9 | BY |

Over the weekend we spent time at the Expo West…

We were networking, interviewing and finding cool places to visit this year on our tour. This means you’ll get to see a TON of things related to the culture of natural health in the US and Canada in the next 12 months. 🙂

We did a “live” show from the floor at the Nutiva booth and wanted to share it with you. In the video we make a hemp protein smoothie and have a lot of fun while doing it!

Your question of the day: What is your favorite hemp product? Have you used a hemp product recently?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

If you’re interested in checking out the new protein from Nutiva, you can purchase it at a 12% discount at the Raw Food World as a member of the Inner Circle. Click here to find out more!

This week we’ll have a Expo West review, an interview with raw food chef and author Ani Phyo, and some clips from Steve Meyerowitz’s presentation at the Tribest booth!

We’ll be in Phoenix on Tuesday and then Austin at the end of the week at the SXSW festival!

1. Hemp Protein, smooth and less gritty, the new Achiva Hemp protein is 1/3 protein, 1/3 Omega 3&6, and 1/3 Fiber. This protein includes inulin fiber (the best), AND it already has a green leaf protein blend in it, so you don’t even have to add the greens.
    Check it out, it’s a new product from
    Conscious Planet, in Burnaby, B.C.
    It’s always nice to have more than one choice, when you’re consuming these products on a regular basis, having more than one is great. Annette

2. Michelle H says:

I’ll definitely check out Nutiva’s updates. I like Manitoba Farm’s Hemp Protein Powder. I just love the nutty taste. I’m not at all bothered by any texture issues.

Kevin – Hubby and I would love to meet up with AnnMarie and you here in Austin. We know some cool places to hang, too. I am not a social networking kind of person, but I’ll have my Hubby follow you on Twitter. (I don’t want to be “tweeting” for now).

Look forward to meeting you guys. Have a great trip here!

Michelle H.

3. Andrea says:

These nut butters are the best:

(Got to promote the local!)

4. Bette says:

Love Dlove hemp.I use hemp seeds,hemp oil(in dark glass bottle) and I have the hemp protein.Really great to have these additions for an extra shot of protein in a day.
    You two look really smart in those green shirts. Definitely look fit too…woweeee.
    Fun show.

5. Katie says:

Hey Kevin and AnnMarie,

It is nice to see you guys at the Nutriva Booth. I am a huge hemp fan and I only purchase my hemp products from Nutriva. I have to agree that my favorite hemp product is their hemp protein powder, I could eat it by the spoonful, although I usually don’t. My favorite hemp recipe is called Wakame Hemp Power Slaw from Ani Phyo’s raw uncook book, and I make it often.

Ingredients:

SLAW-
    1/2 head red cabbage, processed or finely chopped
    1/2 head kale, ribs removed, chopped into bite size pieces
    2 scallions chopped
    1/2 cup dried wakame
    1/2 cup hemp nuts
    2 grated carrots (my addition, optional)

POWER DRESSING-
    3/4 cup Brazil nuts OR cashews (personally Brazil nuts taste way to strong for this recipe)
    1-2 cloves of garlic
    1 TBS grated ginger
    1 tsp. Celtic sea salt (the moist taste of the Celtic salt goes great with the wakame, although pink Himalayan salt goes great with ginger)
    1/4 cup hemp oil
    Juice of 1 lime, aprx. 2 TBS.
    aprx. 1/4 cup water

Place cabbage, kale, scallions, wakame, hemp nuts and carrots into a large bowl.

Process all of the dressing ingredients together and scoop onto slaw. Toss well.

To serve toss with hemp nuts and a dash of hemp protein powder (only if you like it as much as I do).

Tossed slaw will keep for one day. Slaw mix will keep for two days, and dressing will keep for four days in the fridge when stored separately.

Be creative with this recipe, these are strong flavors and not everyone likes the same ratios as I do.

Enjoy!
    -Katie from Portland, Oregon

PS. I’m stoked to hear that you guys will be presenting at the Raw and Living Spirit Retreat in Molalla, Oregon in August. It’s going to be a blast!

6. andy says:

What about food combining. TO mix fats, proteins and carbs not very good combination.m

7. Vaughn Sadekni says:

Hey Kev and AnnMarie,

I need me one of those T-shirts!! 🙂

8. Hi,

I use North Coast Naturals 100% Certified Organic Hemp Whole food Protein in my smoothies and I didn’t notice any grittiness with it. It’s also 50% protein.

I read recently that usually the more isolated a protein the more acidy it becomes although I think hemp based proteins have more alkaline properties than other alternatives (e.g. rice, soy, etc.) plus they provide EFAs including GLA etc.

Charles

9. nancy sirianni says:

went to the vitamin shoppe and they don’t have the new hemp protein. Does anyone know where I can find it?

10. Bobbie says:

I’m drinking a hemp smoothie now. THis is fabulous. Thanks guys.
    Great recommedation!

11. Macy Lee says:

That’s awesome!
    I just bought some hemp protein and the cool thing about it is it is actually kind of nutty in flavor, I just added it to my fruit smoothie I drink every morning, the texture will take some getting used to, but it doesn’t taste bad like most protien drinks. We have a big jar of that coconut oil too so I will have to add that tomorrow 🙂

12. Barbara says:

Hello Kevin and Ann Marie, I was just searching for some hemp products and decided to watch this video, again. One thing I did notice this time, was that Ann Marie’s hair is so wonderfully shiny! How do you get that beautiful, awesome shine? (I mean, anything special besides the raw diet?) Thanks for all your time, and for sharing your lives. You two are just raw-some!

13. protein bars says:

Protein smoothies are a good source of protein without the fats and carbohydrates usually associated with eating protein rich foods.

14. Hemp seeds also contain upwards of 23 minerals and trace minerals in each serving, including the powerful blood sugar stabilizing minerals such as chromium.