Wendy Green’s Cauliflower Chopped Salad – The Renegade Health Show Episode #242

Wednesday Feb 11 | BY |

Today we have two special guest chefs…

No it’s not Wendy Green, though we wish we were in Honduras again with her and Garth!

Our chefs are helping us make the chopped salad that I showed you on the show the other day.

Enjoy and have fun, we did making the show… 🙂

Your question of the day: How many peppers are there (or what’s your favorite pepper?)

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Wendy Green’s Chopped Cauliflower Salad

1/2 Head of Cauliflower
1 Bunch Broccoli
1/2 Head Green Cabbage
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Orange Bell Pepper
4 Radishes
4 Scallions
1/3 Cup Cold Pressed Sesame Oil (Or Flax or Hemp)
2 Teaspoons Cumin
2 Teaspoons Fresh or Powdered Ginger
Juice of 1 Lemon
Sea Salt and Black Pepper to Taste

We had a blast at Wendy Green’s Casa Verde and brought this recipe back with us… go ahead and check out her site (click here!) if you need a little R&R&Y (The Y is for Yoga!)

1. Caryl DeHerrera says:

Too Cute!!!
    Refreshing and the Salad is a must try for me…….
    Thank You….:)

2. Peg says:

How many peppers?? More than I know. Because my husband likes hot food, I use hot peppers every day. They are good in many of the raw food recipes I make. My husband is willing to try the raw food that I make, but is quick to point out that he couldn’t live on it. Sigh. I will keep trying–I am having a great time with raw food–especially when I can get good recipes from Kevin and Annemarie.

3. crow says:

Jason,

I don’t know how many different peppers their are, but all peppers are from the America’s and before the white man came to the Americas
    the rest of the world did not have peppers.

Crow

4. DebB says:

Thanks so much for showing how you make the Chopped Salad! It looked so good when you showed it last week Kevin, I was sure hoping for the recipe.

What great helpers you had today too – Great job Justin & Brianna! Did you enjoy finishing up the salad and eating it like a taco? I bet you both did!

My favorite pepper is the red bell pepper. So crunchy, juicy and sweet!

Thanks again, great video and I can’t wait to try out the recipe.

Are you able to get a cold pressed sesame oil? I’ve only ever bought the toasted oil in the past. I like the avocado idea too.

Debbie *Ü*

5. DebB says:

Oops ~ My question is answered in the recipe. Yes – there is cold pressed sesame oil.

Debbie *Ü*

6. Christa says:

Kevin, I have a question that I have been wondering about for quite some time and I hope that you can find a time to answer it. So, I am confused about enzyme supplements. Do you need to take enzymes when taking supplements to increase the absorbtion and assimilation of the nutrients, or are there any other things that you can take to increase absorbtion of supplements? Also, is it necessary to take enzyme supplements when eating raw foods?

7. Question Kevin:

How do you feel about Yerba Matte? I’m trying to transition to drinking less coffee since I started eating RAW and I’m looking for a substitute. What about drinking Yerba Matte long term?

8. Jackie says:

I have no idea how many peppers are in the world, but my favorite are sweet red peppers cut in half and filled with guacamole. I can’t wait to make the chopped salad. Thanks!

9. Lauren says:

Very Cute! I am going to make this salad soon! Sounds amazing!

10. Pat says:

I’ve been eating raw since ’81 (you weren’t born!) in a tiny kitchen in Brooklyn Heights. (I moved back home to SF in ’91). Anyway, having had a tiny kitchen didn’t leave much counter space, and being an efficiency nut…sks wanting to take shortcuts, I use sissors for almost everything, which is expecially fun with a bunch of scallions…snip snip snip snip right into the bowl!!! No messy chopping board to clean up!

Don’t run with the sissors!!!

Pat Godinez….GO DEE’ NEZ

Say “hi” to Frederic for me!!

11. kellan says:

hi kevin and annmarie. ive just finished watching all 242 episodes of the renegade health show and i wanted to say how inspired i have been to going raw. ive been vegan for 10 years and veggie for 29 years. and this feels like the next step. most of all i’ve been inspired by annmarie’s kitchen shows. thanks to both of you. keep up the good work.

kellan

12. Pat says:

This was a very fun and sweet show…thanks!

13. Pat says:

The Filipinos have a very tiny hhhhhot green pepper that will burn you from top-to-bottom. It’s call sili. I accidently bit into one during a date at a Filipino restaurant in Queens, and immediately told him, “I don’t know what you had planned for this evening, but it’s over…TAKE ME HOME!” I was in excrutiating pain. I could feel it navigating its way though my intestine…ouch!

14. Shelley says:

Where can we get the great heart shaped wooden spoon???

15. marlene says:

Great show! Nice to have the kids in it – very cute! That salad looks awesome only I’m going back and forth on whether I should eat crucferous vegetables or not with my hypothroid. I know how good they are nutritionally but not sure they’re helping me. Any ideas on what I should do?

16. Raluca says:

You seem to know how to deal with kids… think about this 😛

Red ball pepper seems to be the sweetest 😀

17. Kat says:

Great show – it was nice having Jason and Breanna on – hi guys! 😀 Breanna, I’m really diggin’ your hat! Good questions too. Jason, I had to peek at the recipe to find out how many different kinds of peppers were in the salad – two (red and orange). Can’t wait to try this recipe. I think I may even try this recipe with an Anaheim or Poblano pepper with a little chili powder to make it really taste like a taco, Jason. My absolute favorite pepper is a sweet red pepper – YUM. 🙂

18. Almamater says:

Cute niece and nephew! What a great example you’re setting for them!

I’m not sure about the peppers question, but I just wanted to chime in about the raw vegan chili recipe and the kale salad recipe which you put on the show about a month ago. They are both delish! I encourage anyone who hasn’t yet to try them.

19. Justin - from the show says:

My favorite pepper is a sweet orange pepper.

20. debra says:

Beautiful! You keep sharing the love. THanks.

21. Rawbin says:

Wow! Annmarie has really gotten good with that knife. A long way from the first few chopping videos, huh?
    This looks really good! I can’t wait to get the ingredients, and try this at home!
    Oh, and to answer Justin and Brianna’s question:
    There are 4 kinds of peppers
    1. Yellow
    2. Green
    3. Red
    4. Orange
    My favorite one is the orange pepper. Not too sweet, not spicy, full of vitamin C, and my favorite color.

22. Lauren says:

I made this tonight and it was soooo good!! My hubby (who just became a vegetarian, but is in no way raw) kept going back for more!! 🙂 I just blogged about it as well! Thanks for the recipe!

23. Magda says:

Looks tasty.

Did you use dried powdered cumin or cumin seeds?
    Thanks

24. Charles Premoe (Chuck) says:

Add purple peppers to the list as well. But that’s just color alone. The question was “How many peppers are there”? World wide probably 100’s or more with all the genus and sub species. All peppers are of the genus Capsicum and there are so many types it’s near impossible to find a complete list of the many varieties. Part of the problem lies in the “common” names because often there are many names attributed to a single pepper. As our tastes become more cosmopolitan, additional varieties appear each day in the produce sections of our chain grocery stores. Even more varieties can be found in fresh markets, farmers’ markets and specialty shops.

Most often peppers are purchased fresh but they can also be obtained dry, canned, pickled and powdered. The pungency of peppers range from the very mild varieties of bell peppers to the very hot-to-fiery peppers such as Thai, Habanero, Jalapeño, Tabasco or Serrano. There’s also a great range of colors: light, medium and dark greens; pale to bright yellows; gold; orange; bright to deep reds; purple; medium to very dark browns. Peppers can be good for your health. Eaten raw, they have few calories and are usually a “free” food on food plans, ie, wick, etc. and diets. They’re also high in Vitamin C. A green bell pepper has more of this necessary vitamin than citrus fruit of equal weight; a red pepper triples that. The hot varieties are even higher in Vitamin C. Perhaps there’s a correlation between that fact and that chile peppers have been used for centuries as a “cure” for the common cold.

Although hot peppers may give some folks indigestion, there’s no link between their consumption and stomach ulcers. It’s also possible they act as an anticoagulant or blood thinner thus aiding in the fight against heart attacks or strokes. A topical cream that contains capsicum can also help to control some types of chronic skin pain.

Asia is the largest producer of peppers and next to salt, chilies are the world’s most popular seasoning. Mama mia! Kevin and Annmaria, there’s far more spicy bits of information about this gynourmous subject than there is room in this little box to hold so with that being said I think that’s enough to whet any ones appetite on the aformentioned query! Hope that helps.

Rawspectfully Yours;