Raw Food Recipe for Pad Thai – The Renegade Health Show Episode #226

Wednesday Jan 14 | BY |

We haven’t had pad thai recently, but I secretly have to admit, I love a good pad thai after any run longer than 12 miles.

(I guess it’s not a secret anymore… 🙂 )

Anyway, today Annmarie will attempt to make a raw food recipe for pad thai with kelp noodles…

Will she succeed?

Your question of the day: Which cuisine do you like better: Thai, Chinese or Japanese?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Here’s the recipe…

Raw Food Pad Thai with Kelp Noodles

• 2 T Macadamia Nut butter (or Almond Butter)
• 1/3 cup oil, sesame or olive
• 1 T Tamari
• 2 teaspoon cumin powder
• 2 teaspoon of ginger
• 1/2 jalapeno pepper, deseeded
• 2 teaspoon lemon juice or lime
• 1/3 cup filtered water

Blend and serve over Kelp Noodles, thinly sliced Red Bell Peppers and Mung Bean Sprouts.

*You can garnish with peanuts and cilantro

Enjoy!

1. Definitely Thai! I was offered cooking lessons from the owner of the local Asian shop when I lived in Germany in exchange for speaking English with her. Talk about opening up my world! I was just thinking about buying a raw food Thai book today. Weird, eh?

Russell James has one: http://www.therawchef.com.

2. Sara says:

Thai for sure! I’ve been in green curry and spring roll withdrawl since moving to Bozeman. No Thai here…except what I make at home. But sometimes, you just want someone else to make it! I’m excited to try your recipe though, Annmarie…I haven’t used the kelp noodles yet, so that would be perfect. I didn’t even think to use them with pad thai. Take care!

3. Kim says:

Thai, without a doubt.
    Thanks for the tip, Sharon, on the raw Thai recipe book! May have to get that one!

4. Thai foods, hands down! 🙂

5. barbara says:

Definitely Thai!! Gotta try out your recipe Ann Marie – thanks!
    Hey, I’ll be out of town, but sure do wish I could come and visit with you guys in Pittsburgh this weekend. We are crazy Steelers fans, but because of work, we’ll be travelling. So cheer extra loudly for us. Go Steelers!!

6. cheryl says:

Hi Kevin and Annemarie,

I recently tried raw kelp noodles at a local raw resturant. It had a ginger, sesame sauce and was yummy! But someone told me that kelp noodles are not really raw. Do you know if they are raw or not? Are they nutritious? I was actually surprised they are clear in color and not green! Can you talk a little about raw kelp noodles? Thanks!

7. Darlena King says:

I love Thai….it just seems to taste fresher with the seasonings and coconut.

PS… Have you tried using young coconut sliced into noodles for the Pad Thai…amazing!

8. Kat says:

It’s gotta be Thai, though i’m hoping to find some more raw recipes about to help me find more love for Japanese food – sushi was/is a cooked faveourite 😀 (am yet to make raw sushi with parsnip rice, i have a feeling i’ll love that as much as the cooked).

Also, this looks good – wish we could get kelp noodles here in Australia.

9. Elana says:

What is the story with the Kelp noodles? How are they made. It looked like they are cooked. Do you feed your cat a raw foods diet also? Do you have any recipes for cat food? My cats have been eating regular cat food, and I feel bad that I eat well and they don’t! Dog food recipes would be appreciated too.
    Thanks,
    Elana

10. David says:

I like Japanese food the best. By the way, have you guys made any Renage Health T-Shirts?? I would like to buy one. ~ Best from FLorida, Dave

11. cindy says:

Recipe looks great guys! Can’t wait to try it.
    Have a great weekend at the game.

12. Gail says:

Favourite cuisine is chinese well somebody had to be different, thanks for the recipe will try this if I can get the kelp noodles.

Thanks

13. Jessica says:

Definitely THAI!!!

14. Irina says:

Japaneeese, without a doubt.
    Have fun at the game!

15. Thai for sure!

I do enjoy all 3, though. 🙂

16. nicole says:

sushi is still a winner, Thai is a VERY close second, but I would like some raw Chinese receipes!

17. Bobbie says:

I have a favorite Vietnamese haunt in Dallas. My mom in me order their fresh mai go pou soup. or something like that.

Here is a name idea for the RV

RAW DRAGON, but you could call it wagon for short.

18. Bernadette says:

Thai.. and Vietnamese, for sure. And, I’m with David about the t-shirts.

19. Sue Rushford says:

Thai food rules! That is my favorite cooked vegan cuisine, no doubt. Indian is a close second. I have a few raw Thai recipes & had never heard of kelp noodles so will have to experiment. Linda Szarkowski here in Chicago (http://greenspiritliving.com/) is going to be giving a class on raw Asian Fusion (including Thai eats) on Feb 8th – sign me up!

I actually have my own very strange concoction that I invented after taking a vegan Thai cooking class. I tried to adapt it to raw – so here’s what I did – try at your own risk – I put in a small food processor the following – soaked & dehydrated cashews, half a jalapeno pepper, fresh ginger, fresh shallots, Artisana coconut butter, Radical Health SunFire sea salt – I think that’s it tho the recipe’s on the fridge at home, but my memory should be good since I’m on Gold Rush, right? Anyway, I actually did bring this to a Garlic party (I used garlic instead of shallots that day) & people who did ok with spices seemed to like it, so hey…I actually love it, but I have the must unusual breakfast – can promise nobody else eats what I eat for breakfast, but that will be for another post for another day….

20. Ginny says:

Thai for sure!! But I like lots of peppers in it so it’s spicy. Thanks for this recipe! It looked yummy, except I’d added more heat. Ginny Fisher

21. Carol says:

Hey guys GREAT recipe! Thai is my fav!!!!

Hey, here’s a question for you – is the cat going with you in the RV?

Carol
    WorkingWell

22. Denise says:

JaPaNeSe

arigato

23. Estrella says:

I love Filipino food, followed by Thai and Vietnamese. Thanks for the recipe Annmarie. I can’t wait to try it. I like some sweetened tomatoes in my Phai Thai sauce, so I’ll add some soaked sundried tomatoes with a little date paste to taste.

24. Robin says:

Anne Marie has such pretty big brown eyes. 🙂

25. Kat says:

Thai!! I LOVE pad thai and absolutely crave it at times – thank you so much, Annmarie, for this recipe! Funny, I have been trying to come up with a way to do pad thai raw (or mostly raw – I might use rice noodles for this). Your recipe sounds so yummy and fresh!

Japanese food (sushi) is probably my second choice (nori – yum). Salmon skin rolls are my fave, and I love tako (octopus), but I haven’t been eating any fish/seafood lately. I also love seaweed salad and wasabi. 😀

26. Carola says:

I have tried the same Kelp noodles and they have such a bad aftertaste reminding me of petroleum. I rinse them well and soaked them in water, which helps somewhat. I left them sitting in a raw marinara sauce overnight which helped a lot. However, the aftertaste still comes through and I won’t buy them again. I’d rather use noodles made from zuccini or a root vegetable.For Pad Thai, noodles from a young coconut are the best.
    thanks,
    Carola

27. Shelley says:

Pleasepleaseplease Anne Marie…hair clip, bobbie pin, ‘veggie clippie’, hair trim. You ALWAYS have to put your hands to your hair and put your hair behind your ear while cooking.

28. Kay says:

Great show – did I miss the ingredients for the sauce?

29. Louann Lampa says:

THAI!!!!!

30. Roberta says:

I was wondering if using zucchini (spiralled thin) would also make good noodles.

31. Shawn says:

Being a novice raw food cook, I love the video! Esp. the improptu, work with what you have aspect. I’m going to try the recipee tonight! Thank You!

32. Bernadette says:

I had the same experience as Carola with the kelp noodles. I have to admit.. I’m confused about why people like them so much.

33. Diana says:

I have a question ..are the mung bean noodles, glass noodles, cellophane noodles…(called by different names)…considered raw…you just pour boiling water over it and let it sit for 5-15 min..to me this is “fast food” …is this good protein in a hurry?

thanks

34. Amber says:

Kat, have you considered making cauliflower rice for your nori rolls?
    I learned that at the Alissa Cohen Classes, it makes ‘sushi’ taste just like the real thing!
    Just put some cauliflower rosettes into a food processor and proces until grainy, it even sticks like the real sushi rice. Enjoy!

35. John says:

1) Thai – I think it’s like a mix of Chinese and Indian, sort of the best of both worlds

2) Japanese

3) Chinese

36. Jill says:

I haven’t had Japanese or Thai and the only things I like that are Chinese are wonton soup and eggrolls (haven’t tried much else) 🙂

37. Dee says: