Angela Stokes Presents Energy Soup! – The Renegade Health Show Episode #216

Wednesday Dec 31 | BY |

In Mexico again!

And this time Annmarie is with me. πŸ™‚

Sometimes I think traveling alone will be fun, but then after no more than a day, I always end up wishing that Annmarie came with me… so this time she’s here!

Today, we corralled Angela Stokes from downstairs to make us some energy soup.

This raw food recipe is so easy, you’ll wonder why you’ve never made it. πŸ™‚

Your question of the day: If you could ask Ann Wigmore anything, what would it be?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Have an amazing New Year’s Eve!!!

Kevin

Kevin Gianni is a health author, activist and blogger. He started seriously researching personal and preventative natural health therapies in 2002 when he was struck with the reality that cancer ran deep in his family and if he didn’t change the way he was living β€” he might go down that same path. Since then, he’s written and edited 6 books on the subject of natural health, diet and fitness. During this time, he’s constantly been humbled by what experts claim they know and what actually is true. This has led him to experiment with many diets and protocols β€” including vegan, raw food, fasting, medical treatments and more β€” to find out what is myth and what really works in the real world.

Kevin has also traveled around the world searching for the best protocols, foods, medicines and clinics around and bringing them to the readers of his blog RenegadeHealth.com β€” which is one of the most widely read natural health blogs in the world with hundreds of thousands of visitors a month from over 150 countries around the world.

1. fred says:

Ann Wigmore??

2. Debra says:

Well thank goodness. πŸ™‚ Thanks for doing this show! I’ve been subscribed to Angela’s blog for a while and have been wondering and wondering what this “energy soup” was that she eats nearly every day. πŸ™‚

Thanks guys!!!

Debra
    @rawfoodiegirl

3. cindy says:

Thank you Kevin, Annmarie, and Angela, and of course Matt(even though we missed you here). Since I requested the making of the energy soup I wanted to be the first to say thank you and how much I appreciate you all and everything you do. Looking forward to more from all of you in 2009.

4. Glenda says:

That looks really good, and easy! I think I’ll make some tomorrow to start the new year off right. Thanks!

5. Michael T. says:

Hey Kevin, Annmarie and Angela,

Thanks so much for the energy soup demo. That looks really easy and delicious, so I will give it a try.

My question for Ann Wigmore is, How do you get vitamin B-12 from a 100 percent vegan diet?

I understand that the “standard reply” is that if you have the right kind of bacteria, you can absorb B-12 that is synthesized in the intestines. There is controversy around this, because some people, such as Gabriel Cousens, say that the place in the body where B-12 is absorbed is higher up from the place where it would be synthesized. So Dr. Cousens recommends that vegans take a B-12 supplement.

I wonder what Dr. Wigmore would say about this.

I am not 100 percent vegan, for this and other reasons. And I take supplements.

Michael

6. Pat says:

I love that you remembered Ann Wigmore, since she it the mother of wheat grass and raw eating. I would like to know how she decided that of all grasses, wheat grass was her nutritional grass of choice.

Thanks,

7. Susana says:

Way-cool-awesome soup and _SO_ doable with WHATEVER’s on-hand, too!
    It’s like a fill-in-the-blank template:
    _water_
    _watery veggies_/cukes/bells
    _savory_/garlic/garlic tops(if ya grow your own (SO EASY!)
    _citrus_/limes aren’t lemons – pummelos & grapefruits & oranges work, too!
    _sprouts_/ANY! πŸ™‚
    _some FAT!_

If you like ASIAN FLAIR:
    drizzle a touch of SESAME OIL (The home extractors for grinding/empelling(?) your own are readily available now! πŸ™‚
    It REALLY “changes things up”! πŸ™‚
    To that, add a “nub” of FRESH GINGER (ALSO: _SO_ EASY TO GROW YOUR OWN AT HOME ~ and PRETTY, too! πŸ™‚
    WOW!
    Talk about YUMMY! πŸ™‚
    NOTE:
    About 2 weeks ago, I learned from Ecco Terra’s Myra, in Claremont, CA (Great Place! πŸ™‚ BTW!)
    ADD A SLIVER of WHOLE LEMON when juicing WHATEVER! It adds a whole extra level of complexity ~ The WHOLE SLIVER – not just some juice, or zest! YUMMINESS! πŸ™‚
    ALSO “COOL” ~ Pour the soup into the AVOCADO SHELLS for serving! πŸ™‚
    Instead of washing another dish, just chuck it onto the compost pile after enjoying! Less environment impact! πŸ™‚ More time to LIVE! πŸ™‚

8. Ricki says:

Wow, Angela! That was fantastic to see you make your energy soup. Not even knowing you were doing that today, I made my raw energy soup from red chard, baby herb salad, tomato, cucumber, yellow & red peppers, celery root, red onion & garlic, zucchini, 1/4 small avo, Italian parsley, brussels sprouts (2), asparagus and water! I added 1T of raw tahini.
    It was so amazing! Thanks for your guidance, Angela; and thank you Kevin and AnneMarie for your daily shows and influence, as well!
    “RickiRaspberry” (name given to me by Tera Warner of The Raw Divas)
    Chandler, AZ

9. millie says:

Happy New Years!

I just found out that I have cancer. What do I do next? I feel fine. I don’t think that chemo is an option for me.

What would Ann Wigmore suggest me to do? I’m not going to rush.

I feel like it’s going to be o.k.

thanks for your time.

Mil

10. LuAnn Agustin says:

Happy, happy 2009! I’ve just finished preparing freddy’s mushroom cakes from October and they are in the dehydrator right now. I can hardly wait until tomorrow. They smell so wonderful! I am excited. Thank you for all the terrific recipes you share with all of us. Together, we ARE changing the world! Bless you! I wish you all a healthy and prosperous New Year!

11. Ginny says:

As for what to ask Ann Wigmore…I think I would just tell her–thanks for your progressive thinking. Thanks for the legacy you left us to build on.” All of us in the health food and raw food movements owe her a great debt. I hope she’s up in heaven looking down on us, approving of where we are as sprouters, smoothie makers, and raw fooders.

12. Sita says:

The very best wishes to you all!
    The energy soup I made quite a lot and I find that adding an apple makes it taste so much better. Of course if you cannot have fruits for a while you shouldn’t, but if you can, it makes a great difference in the taste.
    And about rejuvelac: made from rye is a good alternative.
    My son asks for rejuvelac when he has a tummy ache, it works great for him!
    If I could ask a question to Ann Wigmore, I would like to know what she thinks about 811. So what about no grains and what about the 10% greens? I believe 811 works, but am still in research with all this, trying to heal from colitis. Because it takes so long, I wonder what I should add or leave out.

13. Pamela W says:

I would ask Ann Wigmore some details about how she got her hair color to go back to its natural state!! Pretty amazing to see a seventy-something year old in some of her photos with her hair as dark as it was! (Okay, I’ve also wondered if she cut her bangs longer in the middle on purpose!) I would ask her some specifics about her Lithuanian grandmother, the one who first got her interested in healing with natural cures.

14. Joann says:

Happy New Years! I am a big fan of Ann Wigmore.
    I would like to ask her ( if she was still with us) How does rejuvelac affect the Alkaline PH level in the body. I’ve had to severely reduce the sugar in my diet because I was becoming too acidic with the fruits and sweets. I like making the rejuvelac and drinking it,putting it in the Energy soup and making seed cheeses with it. I also make sauerkraut. How much, if any, would she recommend for someone acidic.

15. Bette says:

Question for Ann…..WHY dont people get it YET and still.????? The S.A.D. diet is killing the people.”Food” today is devoid of what the human body needs.
    I actually saw an ad yesterday(for the fast food places) that showed a new invention called the “feed bag”.Yes it looks exactly like you picture,a bag hooked around the back of the head,with the contents tumbled together and ready for consumption!!!!!…so people can drive,cell phone,anything and FEED.Trouble is they are not feeding anything except their need to eat junk. The man using the bag in the ad said he didnt want to use his arms much to eat.For real.
    So enter the blender.Your FOOD(amazing real living food) all blended up and put in a container to go(sorry you need to use your arm (no feed bag here)to pour it in and your teeth to chew it) and it is truly FOOD,feeding your body and giving it what it needs.Stop the killing folks,feed the people. ok thats my soapbox for today.
    So Ann,I would say,thank you for setting an example for us in how to feed our bodies.
    Thank you all for giving us such fun and informative shows and entertainment too…haha.
    Gotta consider changin up that music at the opening though. Angela singing is nice..hint hint.

16. Jean says:

love actual preparing foods videos!
    Not a raw foodie … yet…and the energy soup I believe IS healthy but it looks yucky

17. maddiethunderclap says:

i would ask just how deep did it go?the placid ness that permeated every cell of her body because of the foods she ate and drank.to have her writings her findings quashed by the medical communities and journals of that time and yet remain dignified and probably compassionate towards these ones.because as raw foods shift our physical well being to a higher plane it also does the same service for our emotions and spirituality.we no longer judge these ones who are killing themselves because that was me and you but we suddenly find that we feel great sadness and compassion for them because as it was with me and you they have not yet arrived at that point in their journey where the great realisation comes upon them.i am nearly an old age pensioner mostly bed and wheelchairbound and it wasnt until my husband bought me a lap top and i stumbled upon mike adams and kevin and annmarie about 5 months ago that my whole world shifted.and i have been 95%raw vegan since.i would hope kevin and annmarie read these comments because when they are aware of the changes they help bring about it can only make them feel awesome.so joanna budwig your great knowledge and dedication benefited and continues to benetit so many now but how did it all make YOU feel? how deeply calm and compassionate and balanced and satisfied despite all the ridicule?

18. Laura says:

Thanks for the energy soup recipe! If I could ask Dr. Ann one thing it would be: “would you still today advocate the consumption of so many sprouts and wheatgrass?” I’m one of those back-to-the-land type of people who wants to grow all my own food someday, and I wonder if I would be growing so many plants out to seed just to grow and consume their sprouts. Is such a lifestyle sustainable and possible? Many Blessings to y’all this new year! Love, Laura Sutton

19. gloria says:

Happy New year to all of you guys. Im tryinf that soup today!!!! Which blender did Angela use? is it like the Vitamix? or is just a powerful regular blender?
    Enjoy my Country, Mexico!!!!
    Gloria

20. Chel says:

Groovy show today!

I would ask Ann about her opinion on the power of thought on health.

My reason for this is that one of my very good friends healed himself of prostate cancer by using a macrobiotic diet, which, from my understanding, is almost completely cooked. I, on the other hand, have healed myself from an eating disorder as well as numerous smaller dis-eases by adopting a completely raw lifestyle.

We discussed the possible explanations for this and concluded that healing is attained by the mind first, and then the body, so maybe any diet can be healing if you truly believe in it’s power.

I find raw food to be the easiest and most graceful vehicle for my positive thought and so I will stick with that!

Super-Happy New Year!!!

21. Debbie says:

Thanks for the show!

Ann Wigmore: What’s your thoughts on green smoothies?

22. Elaine says:

Enjoyed watching this video of Angela making the soup. Thanks for sharing.

23. barbara says:

Great show! I am going to try the energy soup tomorrow! I’ve heard of it lots and always wondered how to make it. And yes, it would be so cool if we could all hang out. Ah well, this is a great way to do it until the opportunity arises!

24. Bernadette says:

Thank you Angela, for the great recipe.. and question of the day.

I would ask Ann Wigmore 2 things..

1. How do we know what we can eat in its raw form and what we can’t. Some things are poisonous in their raw state.. such as apricot seeds and legumes.. How do we know what is good for us and what is not?

2. The other question is.. why do they eat fish in the bible?

25. Wendy says:

For Millie…
    I recommend you go to Kris Karr’s website..’Crazy Sexy Cancer’..and look around…there are invaluable resources,and a great book and video..a great online community..and many answers..including alt. therapies as well.
    best of luck with your journey…I wish you much strength,courage,and love.
    This will be really tough for you,but it also can be a great spiritual opportunity as well if you let it.
    warmest blessings,
    Wendy.

26. Kat says:

This is also for Millie…my prayers are with you! I am also a cancer survivor. It’s a very hard journey, but (and I know this sounds strange) it can also be one of the best times of your life. I received so much love & support from family, friends and people I didn’t even know – people were so caring to me – it was truly amazing! I received my strength from God and His Word, especially Psalms! πŸ™‚ Take it easy if you can during this time, and soak up all the love you can! πŸ™‚

I did the allopathic treatment (chemo, surgery, radition, more surgery), because at the time I wasn’t really aware of my options, and the doctors were really fearful for me as my cancer was extremely aggressive. The treatments worked for me, but they really took a toll on my body and immune system. If I had it to do over again, I would opt for natural treatment – i.e., nutritional therapy. I applaud you for making that choice – I believe you will be glad you made it! You can email me anytime if you’d like – katmandu68 at hotmail dot com.

Kevin, AnnMarie and Angela – thank you so much for the great show today – I also love watching you all make food. I’m going to try this soup this weekend – sounds so yummy! Have fun in Mexico!! πŸ™‚

Oh – what would I ask Ann Wigmore…what am I doing wrong with my radish and mung bean sprouts?? I believe I’m doing it right – I follow yours and the Sproutman’s instructions to a T, but I always end up with little brown spots on at least half of my radish sprouts, and brownish roots on all my mung bean sprouts. It drives me crazy!! πŸ™

27. Lois Kubota says:

Happy New year to everyone. Thanks for the great show. I love the cooking shows the best. Unfortunatley, I left my dulse at work and would rather not drive over to get it. I’m going to add in some seaweed used for sushi. Hopefully it will had something helpful.

But I will make the energy soup today. I always get an acidic stomach after eating SAD. Yesterday had lots of sushi and rice and today I feel like I need something soothing.

Living in Northern California, I’ll just go out to my garden and pick some greens I am growing. Can’t wait!

28. suvine.com says:

I heard you use a pendulum over your meal to decide if your food is organic or gmo. How does that work?

29. Lisa says:

I would ask Ann Wigmore what her daily diet looked like and how much sleep she felt that her body needed a night?

Millie—- My prayers are w/ you and I also recommend Kris Carr’s book/dvd. She’s very inspirational and knowledgeable about cancer. πŸ™‚ She’s researched the natural/holistic approach and is living her life to the maximum! I just love her!

Kevin, AnnMarie & Angela–LOVED the energy soup video and am making it in the a.m. Thanks! (P.S. I am adding red peppers for sure….no doubling the cucumbers for me thank you!) πŸ™‚

30. karen says:

i don’t know of any questions, but i would say thank you to ann wigmore for sharing all her knowledge and wisdom and for having the courage to do something so helpful for the health of the world.

31. Brigid says:

I lived at Ann Wigmore’s house in Boston in 1970. Even though I didn’t understand what she was doing, I ate dinner with her and her guests every night and my weight and my health were marvelous – but I couldn’t stand wheat grass.

She had a monkey who walked all over the table eating off people’s plates. She’d saved him from the SAD and he was dying when she got him and started feeding him raw foods. I remember most of her food was shredded very fine, I don’t remember blenders being used at all.

I would ask her: Do you remember me?

32. zyxomma says:

Actually, the similarity between ripe bell pepper and cucumber is quite real. They’re both very high in water content, and they’re both non-sweet FRUITS, not vegetables. Salad fruits (cucumbers, bell peppers, hot peppers, tomatoes, okra) and fatty salad fruits (avocado, ripe olive) are not just loaded with nutrients, but also antioxidant phytochemicals (e.g. lycopene in the tomatoes). Lycopene, like many other phytonutrients, is potentiated by fat (the avocado in the energy soup/green smoothie recipe), so no matter what your pleasure in green smoothies, a little fat adds a lot of power. You can use olive oil, avocado, tahini, soaked nuts, whatever pleases your taste buds, so long as it’s truly raw! Love, health, and peace to all.

33. Traci says:

Wow. I must say I am fairly new to the raw food phenomenon, and I had new clue who Ann Wigmore was until you guys mentioned her. I got online and went to several websites to learn about her. Sounds like she was a phenomenal woman. I would love to ask her how she was able to change her life through raw nutrition while others around her (friends and family) were still living as before.

I really loved the energy soup recipe and I am going to try it. I don’t have a VitaMix and can’t afford one right now, so I am wondering if using my food processor would yield good results.

34. CINDY says:

happy new year to all this is a message to millie and i hope she reads it. LAST YEAR MY SISTER-IN-LAW DIED FROM PANCREATIC CANCER. SINCE THEN I TRIED TO LOOKS FOR CURES AND I CAME ACROSS THIS SIGHT THAT YOU MUST LOOK INTO http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/cancer1/altthrpy.htm MILLIE THIS IS THE INFO I COULD FIND GOOD LUCK CINDY

35. di says:

Shalom Kevin, Happy seculer new year. I am extremly glad that you asked this question and I wish those who read this and are in this predicament will respond to my question so that the people who have the knowledge will respond. My inspiration is:

If I cold sit and break bread with Ann Wigmore my main questions would deal with diabetics issues. There are a lot of people out in this great universe who are seeking help to relieve themselves of diabetes and the strong grip it have on their bodies, mind and soul. Most of the places they asked for help want a tremendous amount of money just to step in the outer doors. Many of these people do not have the funds to enter these great garus doors, so they seek and obtains a lot of misinformations which end up hurting them and reaking havock in their lives.

If I could just sit at her feet I would try to learn and pick her brains of all the knowledge that she have aquired over the years. After learning all the knowledge of the universe from her, I will take it to all the people would listen to what I have learned and to those who need it the most.

People who had to eat whatever was placed in front of them since they were born; and those who have the good foods in front of them but do not understand that it is good.
    I wish there were more Ann Wigmores, especially in todays society. Many of us are willing to learn by any means but the Mores, and Morahs are few and overworked!
    I praise the Creator for you and your isha.
    Peace be!
    …….di

36. linda says:

Keep up the great info.
    I would ask Ann Wigmore how to raise my hydrochloric acid in my stomach.
    also recently alot of people have asked me about the eat right for your blood type and would ask her opinion of that.

37. junglegirl says:

@Linda: I’ve heard that drinking a glass of water 30 mins before eating a meal stimulates hydrochloric acid in the stomach. It’s why large SAD meals begin with consomme. Same principle.

I would Thank AWigmore for managing to create and succeed with her Institute. She was obviously living her truth and therefore supported by the universe. Wow. I also like the question someone had about whether sprout seeds are sustainable. I suppose they are in a functioningl global market, if the growers receive a profitable market value. I mean, we all need to support each other in our chosen fields (ha, pun) and work together to pull this planetary situation off.