Raw Vegan Recipe for Chili on Christmas Eve – The Renegade Health Show Episode #211

Wednesday Dec 24 | BY |

Wow, the holidays kind of crept up on us and left us little time to prepare a raw food recipe to bring to the family…

So Annmarie needed to come up with something quick!

We’ve found the best way to avoid a stomach ache is to always bring something with us. 🙂

So here we have a raw vegan chili recipe that we can’t wait to dig into.

The funny thing is…

Everyone will probably like this just as much as the kale salad Ann brought last time and we won’t get as much to eat! 🙂 (Which is fine with me, I eat this stuff all the time, so I’d rather everyone else get a taste!)

Your question of the day: What are you doing for the holidays?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Raw Food Recipe for Chili

From RawBC.org

1 medium zucchini, chopped into ½” cubes
1 medium carrot, chopped into ¼” cubes
½ medium or 1 small eggplant, peeled and chopped into ½” cubes
1 small Portobello mushroom or 5 shiitake mushrooms, chopped into cubes
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 medium roma tomato, chopped into ½” chunks
¼ medium red onion, chopped
3 ½ tsp. Sea salt
1 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. olive oil

Mix above ingredients and place in a quart-sized jar. Press down hard to cover the vegetables completely with the salt, lemon, and oil. If necessary, put a small glass or jar inside to weight the vegetables down. Cover and let marinade preferably overnight, or at least 4-6 hours.

Hearty Chili sauce:

1 large tomato
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked with enough water to cover
¼ cup olive oil
1 ½ cups purified water
1 Tbs. Spicy Chili Sauce (see recipe) or 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
½ tsp. celery seed
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. cumin
1 ½ tsp. chili powder

Blend above ingredients on high until smooth. Pour blender mixture over marinated vegetables. Or pulse together in food processor

Happy Holidays!
Kev and Ann

1. Karen says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,
    Thank you so much for posting this, it looks amazing and I plan on making it next week. I see your using a different vita mix from the usual white base, very cool :). I wish you both Happy Holiday’s, you are two of the greatest influences and I wish you the best. Much Love,
    Karen
    Oh I can’t wait to see what ya’ll have in store when you go back to Mexico. Blessings.

2. DebB says:

Wow – your chili looks great and I look forward to trying it!

I’ll be the only one eating this way at our family dinner (our house, this Saturday) and I plan to have a wonderful Marinated Kale Salad (Karen Knowler’s recipe on YouTube) and Alissa Cohen’s Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms.

Right now my husband and I just popped Apple Raisin Cookie (Rose Lee Calabro, Living in the Raw) into the dehydrator. One batch made 98 cookies! And tomorrow we’re making a batch of Banana Bread (new recipe, haven’t tried it, posted on recipezaar by Missy Wombat).

I am SO looking forward to our dinner. Okay, I may have to make a batch of the Famous Onion Bread, I’ll see.

Merry Christmas Everyone! Safe travels to all on the roads. *Ü*

3. Rawlee says:

Hey Kevin and Annmarie, greetings from Saudi Arabia. On the issue of Ramadan; the muslims celebrate it in the ninth month on their lunar calendar (which makes it shift annually per Gregorian). It is a time for religious focus and for fasting. Their way of fasting, however, is not the healthiest. They eat or drink nothing during the day. Sometimes the heat can get up to 120 degrees. And to break the fast at night, they gorge. So in essence, they reverse the day. Stay up all night eating and then sleep all day. The month ends with a celebration which is called “Eid al-Fitr” and the greeting phrase is “Eid Mubarak” which means something like Blessed Festival”. Stay rawsome! Rawlee

4. Rene Oswald says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,
    Your chili sounds fantastic, I think I’ll make it for a New Year’s Eve Potluck we’re having.
    I’ll be making a Chai Smoothie for my family this morning, you can watch me make it at
    http://www.reneoswald.com/videos.html. I’ll also be preparing the Cranberry Relish, Butternut Holiday Patties, Mock Mashed Potatoes with Savory Mushroom Gravy and the Festive Pumpkin Yule Log from my “Living Cuisine for Happy Holidays” eBook. http://www.reneoswald.com/ebooks.html

All four of our children are home for Christmas and I’m hopeful they will enjoy everything!

Hope you have a really fun Christmas Day!

Rene

5. Lisa Marie says:

6. Amy Tuggle says:

Luckily this year I am making raw food for 2, always more enjoyable to share! My mom has decided to eat raw as much as she can, and really seeing the results.
    I made 2 different raw nut cheeses and am assembling Beet Raviolis, marinated asparagus, and a pomegranate fennel salad for a yummy holiday colored meal.

7. CINDY says:

why don’t you do YOUR TOP 10 SHOW video’s of 2008? HOPE YOU HAVE A MERRY XMAS!!!!!!!!

8. Ginny says:

Our son is preparing turkey, and dressing. I’m making a plate of raw veggies (peppers and cukes) to serve with some regular store-bought hummus. And I’m making a tomato and red onion salad. And I’m making skordalia, a Greek potato dish. So this meal will not be even high raw, but will have many raw things to eat. I’ll slice up some apples and oranges for dessert. Someone else is bringing pies, which I hope to stay away from!!! After the holidays, when we are home from this trip I’ll get back to very high raw. And I want to try your chili!! It looks so good. Thanks so much guys. Have a very Merry Christmas, and an awesome 2009.I love your show!!!

9. Shirley says:

Happy Holidays! Do you use the marinade in the chili or just marinade the veggies with it? If you leave it, would you need to add more water to the sauce? Thanks

10. Sparrow says:

I made a feast for the holidays and went all-out, even eating high fat which I *never* do the rest of the year! As a Greek Orthodox Christian, I have twelve days of Christmas. I don’t know if I will be feasting for all of them! But I will definitely be celebrating with food as well as prayer.

For Christmas itself: Alissa Cohen’s insanely amazing kale salad (from “living on live Food”), Alissa Cohen’s mock salmon pate, Alissa Cohen’s Date Nut Torte (also insanely amazing!), Carol Alt’s lentil salad, and Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo’s cranberry relish. All for me, since my husband refuses to eat anything that might be healthy. Ah, well, he loves his food and I love mine.

Merry Christmas!

11. Hey Kevin and Ann Marie,

Thanks for this and your Christmas day post–you obviously have a real family, which gives you the balance of humility that I like!

Thanks for keeping your web family in the loop!

🙂 Annie

12. LuAnn Agustin says:

I had prepared my second “all raw” Christmas feast which everyone appeared to enjoy. Two teens chose to eat only tossed green salad they recognized, (their loss :p). We had cabbage salad w/ pecans, mock potato salad w/ jicama instead of white potatoes, guacamole, and cashew hummus w/ onion flaxbread crackers and sweet potato chips along with crudite’s, and for dessert, I made my current favorite, blueberry/cacao cup pies (instead of cupcakes) mmm… oh and raw brownies were also on the menu but we decided to save them for New Years Day. I love to share recipes (hint, hint). luannagustin@cox.net

13. Noga Fisher says:

A TOTALLY INDULGENT raw pecan pie!!!
    made from pecans, dates and honey! Too sweet for more than a few bites, even for me, and I like things sweet!!

Happy holidays!

14. Bernadette says:

Thank you for the raw recipe Kevin and Annmarie. I’ll be ready to try this amazing chili once we are finished with all the Christmas festivities. Unfortunately we don’t have a lot of RAW supporters around us at the moment, but we do have a few supporters of our vegetarian lifestyle. My dad is always very sweet and tries to make sure there are plenty of vegetarian dishes we can choose from when we go over to his house for dinner. Other people do the same. It is heart warming to know there are people who at least have a healthy respect for vegetarianism.. and I’m sure a healthy respect for a vegan and raw lifestyle is soon to follow. 🙂

Monday night, we are getting together with more friends for dinner and they have asked us to bring one of our famous salads.. chalk full of veggies.. It’s made with romaine lettuce, shredded carrots and red cabbage, sunflower sprouts, red pepper, cucumber, tomato, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and raisins.. and any other veggies we have in the fridge. I’ve switched from using olive oil in the dressing to walnut oil after reading Gabriel Cousens latest book on diabetes, and only sparingly, with lemon juice, oregano, garlic and Himalayan sea salt for the dressing.

They also love the kale salad so they ask us to bring one or the other and they’re both quite a hit and a good way to encourage people to eat healthy raw food. Of course, they also asked for the raw brownies. 🙂 They love them too.

This year my gifts to them are care packages including Jameth Sheridan’s little trial bottles of Vitamineral green, Earth, Fruits of the Earth, Greener Grasses and Maca (carob and vanilla) plus a copy of Rave Diet’s DVDs.. ‘Eating’ and ‘Healing Cancer from Inside Out’ and Gabriel Cousens ‘Simply Raw’.

As you can see Kevin and Annmarie.. I’m encouraged by your shows and trying to be the best little Health Renegade I can be.. spreading the word, one Christmas at a time. Thank you for all of your support and encouragement in 2008 and I am looking forward to more in 2009!!

15. Fiona says:

I know it’s a bit late but Happy Belated Christmas and New Year. I made a raw chocolate yule log.

Ive only just found your show but I love it.