Superfood Smoothie Recipe from David Wolfe – The Renegade Health Show Episode #204

Monday Dec 15 | BY |

Over the weekend we had a BLAST at a superfood party in NYC…

Annmarie and I met a whole bunch of awesome people who are sharing the word of good health and I was really excited to spend time with them!

During the party, David decided to prepare a smoothie for everyone… you’ll get to see it here…

(Also, you’ll find out where in the world I am right now!)

Take a watch…

Your question of the day: Have you been to Mexico? If so, tell us where and your story!

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

If you want more information about Elements for Life as an opportunity to spread the word of good health to others, please visit here: www.elementforlife.com!

BTW: I know some of you will ask me about the cacao here, so a good substitute is carob powder. Or if you really want it, you can have it in moderation! 😉

Kevin

1. Dustin Smerek says:

Hey Kevin, yeah i went to Mexico about two years ago. I visited Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. I had an awesome time! My favorite part of the trip was riding mopeds around the island of Cozumel. It was so fun! You need to try it sometime. Well thanks for the video and have a great day!

Dustin

2. Carolyn Marie says:

That last little “love you AnneMarie” was so sweet Kevin.. Ahhh…
    I enjoyed the smoothie video.. Gonna try that tomorrow..
    Yes, I’ve been to many places in Mexico. I’ve been to Acapulco, Baja & Baja Del Mar, Cabo, Roserito, Tijuana, Ensenada, and Puerto Vallarta.. Most of my trips are not worthy of mentioning on a RENEGADE HEALTH BLOG (wink).. Tequilla and margaritas were plentiful…Not the margaritas from Truth Caulkins’ Tonic Bar either 🙂 I did visit an agave farm outside of Puerto Vallarta that was cool…and have been to some small villages and night time aztec shows that were like nothing anywhere else on the planet.. My next trip will be to Mexico City. I haven’t been there yet, but look forward to that experience soon..

3. Al says:

Kevin, enjoy your time in Rosarito. It is a funky place. I was there over Christmas a few years ago & it was the coldest Christmas since my days in Minnesota. Enjoyed it though. Have fun.

4. karen says:

i love mexico! i’ve been to cancun, tulum, isla mujeres, and my FAVORITE place is xcaret. a must see…..horseback riding through the ruins and snorkling the underground rivers was AMAZING!
    have a great trip, kevin! looking forward to the shows this week!

5. Rhonda says:

I use to go over the border to Rosarita Beach back in my college days. Great fun, love, love the fish taco’s and I know they are not raw food, but they are the best there in Baja. Since “those days” my husband and I have gone to Puerta Vallarta, it has amazing food, great fish and cerviche. Then we have been down south to the Playa del Carmen and Akumal areas and loved it. Great snorkeling and relaxing.
    Lastly, we flew down to Cabo a couple of years ago with no plan and drove up the Pacific coast to Todos Santos and then across to Los Barrillos. Love Mexico, we would consider living there if it were more affordable. Prices have climbed up to US prices so not the great deal that it use to be. Still great fun. Have fun Kevin.

6. Jenn says:

Hey Kevin, hope you have a great time down there!! Looking forward to hearing what you are working on, but love getting the views of other countries and areas you visit.

My time in Mexico was all of about 8 hours. Landed in Cozumel from a cruise years ago and spent most of the time snorkling.

7. Donna says:

Hi Kevin..thanks for saying hello from Mexico. Yes, I have been to Mexico a few times..mostly at Club Meds with and without my children. Cancun and Mayan Riviera. Have a great time.

8. Mary Ellen says:

wish u would have let me know about this party. i live in manhattan & probably could have attended if i would have known. i have wanted to try the smoothie since i heard about this company.

9. Mary Ellen says:

could u let me know when there are parties in manhattan, so that i may try the green smoothie? i have yet to try one. the last party they did not sample the smoothie. the party that i met u at if u recall. also mark becker was there announcing a little bit. i have known him for years from the new life expo, but i think that was the first time u met him.

10. cathy warren says:

yes ive been to mexico,i speak and read some spanish,when my house sells ,i want to move there and rent a place ,gobs of lovely fresh raw foods !yes!by the way i have a solar powered offgrid home for sale on 15 acres if you know anyone ,give them my email address ,take care ,love your show!

11. Doug Harrity says:

Kevin I thought you were really funny tonight and if I was 40 years younger I might add cool

12. Charlotte says:

I havn’t been to Mexico. I have to tell you though soak up as much sun and good weather as you can… I’m in Arkansas right now, and it’s freezing and raining and absolutely miserable!
    I’m going home to Dallas tmrw though, thank god!!
    Charlotte

13. Ally says:

No.. haven’t been to Mexico. I don’t get to the States often. I live in the middle of Canada.. it was -43 with the windchill today! eek!

David was saying you can grow the goji berries in the backyard…. do you think they would grow up here in Winnipeg? or would it be too cold?

Just wondering.

Ally

14. sherry says:

Hi kevin, I have been mazatlan, puerto vallarta,and cabo san lucas…My favorite was cabo,and the funniest as i got that bacteria , the one where you can not leave the bathroom if you know what i mean…lol… The funny thing we went to the pharmacy to get help and no one spoke english , it was so funny ,my husband at the time was killin himself with laughter trying to explain that i had the poops and was very sick , i think they understood as they had big smiles on there face ,but the way he explained what was going on with the sound effects and all , you just had to be there ….what a hoot !
    That nasty bacteria was with me for 3 months so finally seen a natural doc and i started taking nutra biotics ,the grapefruit seed extract and picked up after 3 days.. All and all the trip was great and very beautiful there …take care Sherry 🙂

15. Gina says:

Kevin,

Funny you should ask – this Thursday I’m leaving NYC after 6.5 years, and I’ll be traveling throughout Mexico from January to April. You, Mike Adams, David Wolfe, etc. etc. were all part of my inspiration to quit my dull Wall Street job and set off in search of a healthier and more peaceful lifestyle. I’m going to be volunteering on two organic farms during my time there, and eating lots and lots of fresh fruits and veggies! When I return to the U.S., I’d like to begin a career in the natural health field. I haven’t quite figured out my niche yet, but who knows what opportunities will present themselves between now and then! Anyway, thank you for the inspiration – ¡y buena suerte con tu proyecto!

16. Daniel says:

Never been… but thanks for the nice show, I am exited for this week shows in Mexico!!!

17. Jenna says:

Hola Kevin,
    I’ve lived in Southern California (about 6 hours from the border) for almost 8 years, and ironically, the only time I’ve ever been to Mexico was when I rode the bus up from Costa Rica, touring Central America as we went. Saw the ruins in Tulum – aMAZing!! Hot and humid. We slept in hammocks that hung from palm trees a few feet from the beach. Seriously a dreamland, for those of us who have the luxury to leave.
    Feliz viajes!
    Ciao, Jenna

18. While you are there in Rosarito – if you can, visit Sanoviv Medical Institute (it is near to there). You will be BLOWN AWAY by the services they have there (you can look up their site on the net for more info).

My favorite ‘fun’ part of going to Mexico (in Tijuana, though) is the farmers markets. Although they are not ‘Organic’, they have ALL kinds of food that we just do not have access to here in the states (even in San Diego). Their coconuts are fantastic – and they will cut and clean them for you…their coconuts are way better than either the Thai coconuts we have here (which I am fond of) or the ‘old’ brown coconuts (which most people think of, when they think of a coconut) – and these in Mexico are very inexpensive, roughly a dollar a piece.

The farmers market(s) also have Mamey Sapote (which is different than Sapote, by the way)…it tastes similarly to a sweet potato, in it’s RAW state…(very cool)!

I’m also a big fan of Tamarind (AKA. Tamarindo)…but I love more the tart variety, not as much the sweet variety that you get from an Asian Supermarket. Mexico is (mostly) where they grow this tart variety of Tamarind, and you can find it at the farmers markets there.

Mexico is also where I would go to have Ozone therapy, if I was seeking that sort of treatment – because (as far as I know) it’s not legal here in the U.S….but I would only be visiting the doctor that was recommended to me by a personal friend – I wouldn’t just go anywhere for this!! 🙂

Love and Bliss to you all! <3

19. Teri says:

Hi Kevin.. we’ve been to Mexico .. My husband and I honeymooned in Mazatlan, been to Tijuana, and Rosarita, Also we went to Playa De Carmen this last February..Which is on the Gulf Side..

20. kathy says:

What was the green powder he used with so much in it? What green powders do you like and where do you get them?

21. LaChicaRaw says:

Hey kevin! Love the shows!

I just bought a ticket to Mexico for January, so it was quite fun hearing that you are there. I will be staying for 2 months, just outside Mexico City. Send me en e-mail if you are ever close by.

Enjoy your time and mucha suerte with the multiple projects!

Nathalie

22. Sara says:

I have indeed been to Mexico- Chihuhua (sp) Mexico – the native people are soo sweet. And the fruit are delicious. By the way- I ran into David Wolfe this past friday and had dinner with him- what a fascinating and entertaining guru;)

23. Michael T. says:

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for keeping connected to us while you’re on the road. Haven’t been to Mexico, but I encourage you to get about 15 minutes of sun each day, for the vitamin D, while you are in a warm place. You likely won’t be getting much sun back in Connecticut for a while.

I also wanted to respond to your comments on Friday. I am the one who assumed that you were drinking carrot juice or some kind of sweet juice, mixed with your green juice. I apologize for making this assumption. I agree, as you said, it would have been better for me to have asked you what is in your juice, instead of assuming that it must have some sweet ingredient in it.

By the way, several other people on your blog have asked you for the green juice recipe, and I don’t believe you have answered this question completely. You have listed some of the ingredients, such as lettuce, celery, kale and ginger. But have you listed ALL of the ingredients, and the amounts of each? Inquiring minds want to know …

Personally, I can’t stand pure green juice. I need to have some carrots in there to make it palatable. I am amazed that you have the discipline and strong stomach to drink a gallon of pure green juice, with nothing sweet in it.

And I don’t think there is anything wrong with having some sweetness in the juice, such as carrots or apples. I want to make it clear that I am not some kind of dietary perfectionist. I eat cooked foods as well as raw, and I eat fish and eggs sometimes. I am not seeking some kind of dietary perfection. I eat what feels right to me, and I encourage others to do the same.

And Kevin, I think your show and your website are wonderful, and I wish to support what you are doing. I appreciate the great work you are doing to educate people about how to live healthy, awesome lives.

I realize that I can come across as critical. I strive to make my criticisms constructive and helpful, but it doesn’t always work out that way. I perceived contradiction in your show on sugar addiction, where you were basically beating up on sweeteners while drinking a gallon of juice. My response was an attempt to say, hey, Kevin, don’t be a hypocrite. Don’t criticize sweeteners such as agave and then guzzle a lot of juice. I jumped to a conclusion based on an assumption that your juice was sweet, and I apologize for this.

Next time, I will strive to ask more questions and make fewer assumptions.

And, there is one more point to make here. What makes any sweetener harmful is how much is being consumed. I believe that no one would be harmed by one tablespoon of agave nectar or raw honey mixed in to a cup of tea once a day. The problem with sugar is that people tend to eat too much of it, and that’s when the body’s hormonal system gets thrown off balance. Blood sugar spikes and crashes, and in the crash, the person craves more sugar, and the process repeats. I believe you can safely consume your favorite sweetener, as long as you just have a small amount at a time.

Thanks for listening.
    Michael

24. Chyrel McDaniel says:

Loved your show. I’ve been to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. I was not raw at the time but lived off Mango’s from the street vender in Cabo. Didn’t want to catch “the bug.” My friend and I hiked a beach I will never forget. It was deserted and went on forever. Visited a nearby town where everyone painted from age 2 to 100. Everyone painted and showed their talents in the town square.

In Puerto Vallarta, I ate fruit and raw fish. Ran on to some San Francisco folks living in Mexico. They took us to the rainforest and places the locals hang out and have fun. I love Mexico and their people.

How can I get those “live” Goji berries David used in his smoothie and will they grow in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area?

Chyrel

25. Lori Coleman says:

I hitchhiked to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico when I was in my early 20’s. It is on the southern most tip of Baja, Mexico. I traveled down there with a brother and we were part of a weird religious cult called “The Christ Family”. I ended up meeting a beautiful Mexican brother who owned a travel agency in Baja and he took me in and took care of me for three months. I had alot of fun in Mexico and will never forget that trip. It was cool. The ocean was beautiful. My Mexican friend had a fishing boat and would take me out everyday and I saw walruses for the first time. They were so cool!

Lori

26. Jes says:

I’ve been just across the boarder; Tijuana. I saw many peddlers. I remeber a man in a wheel chair. He had no legs and was selling gum. I remember a child sleeping in the gutter next to one of the many street stands. Many merchants jumping out in front of me asking me to buy … something. People making fun of my friend’s long hair (a male friend.) Weak margaritas, a musician who played for 10 bucks, and huge “dance clubs”.

I’m thinking when I sail my ship around the world, I leave from a Mexican port.

27. Sanjula says:

spend 6 month in middle America after I finished my university diploma. Travelled alone from Mexico city to San Christobal and through Yucatan, than in a tiny little boat on a stream through the Jungle (this was very adventures) into Guatemala. I was in between stung by a strange flying object during a trip in the jungle on a small Island. just made it back to my Hammock and dropped into a comma for 3 days. was extreme weak after coming back, no strength, no doctors or help around, bought little breads from passing locals, recovered slowly. Nevertheless I
    Loved it, felt very at home in Mexico and in the old temples and ruins 🙂

28. Nathaniel says:

Yo, whats up with this video, can we see this thing or not?

29. Christa says:

I have heard a lot of different opinions regarding the use of grains in our diet. Dr Mercola, is one of the health authorites that advises against eating all grains. His beliefs are that grains are generally rich in insoluble fiber which is very sharp in our digestive tract, where as soluble fiber is very soft and easy to digest. The only carbs that we should be consuming should come from frutits and vegtables. What are your thoughts on this? I know that you sometimes consume quinoa, and apparentley that is part of the probited food list as well. So please clarify this matter. It seems that I have been hearing this information very often now. So, I’d like to get to the bottom of this if possible. I trust your opinion above all others. Thanks so much, I hope you can find the time to address this issue.

30. louise says:

no I have never been to Mexico what was all the ingrediants David put in his smoothie drink
    Louise

31. Laura says:

Love Baja!

Stayed at La Fonda just south of Rosarita in November. It rain one day. Our room was on the beach. My sweetie and I sat at the picture window watching the rain & the waves and reading by the firelight all day. NO PHONE, NO COMPUTER, NO MEDIA! Next day we watched dolphins in the surf and walked along the water’s edge and collected tons of shells. Best vacation ever!!

I used to keep a trailer on the beach south of Ensenada for several years (ex has it now). Everyone has always been friendly and gracious. Can’t say enough wonderful things about my stays there.

32. lisa says:

thanks for taking time out on you trip to include us in it! that was a pretty intense smoothie, im sure you took no part in that..lol with my sugar addiction, i probably would have:) have fun!!
    lisa

33. I went earlier this year in March to Tijuana Mexico for a missions trip. It was an amazing time! My favorite moment were all with the kids- dancing with a dozen children in the dirt:), praying for them and then having them pray for each other and one kids stomach healed! It was such a sweet sweet time. We made them balloon animals-princess crowns for the girls and swords for the guys and knighted them. I loved it.

34. Denise says:

Hello Kevin,

Yes I have been many times to Mexico, as a flight attendant with KLM (and made beautiful trips into the country and spend some time there years ago) and I went on a holiday a couple of times too. The fresh food is awesome and actually I am considering to go there and start a business in healthy living there. I speak Spanish, German, Italian, Dutch my mother language) and of course English and a little French. If you are realy thinking of doing something there we might ‘have’ to get in touch!!! I am a lifestyle manager and a NLP trainer, so it might, no it will be, a good reason to talk with each other. I have some contacts there, which will be of a great help too.

So feel free to contact me Kevin.

Enjoy your time,

Denise

35. Mary says:

Hi Kevin,
    Enjoyed the show with David. I was in Mexico City last Dec. I went with my Mom, 2 brothers, and a sister. We had a great time at Our Lady of Guadalupe. My favorite was climbing the Aztec pyramids outside of the city. And enjoying fresh Mexico fruit. I have never liked paypa’s but they were awesome in Mexico I guess we don’t get the good stuff in Minnesota! Mary Marsh

36. carob will never be a sub for cacao.

37. Wonda says:

I love carob and I think it is more nutritious than cacao.

I don’t use cacao!

38. del says:

My only time in Mexico was when I did my first open water scuba diving certification in Cancun, Mexico and later at Cozumel. First time diving in the tropics was unbelieveable. It was like living in an salt water aquarium. An entire world open up like know other. It was like flying, you can go up or down. It was awesome.

39. del says:

I have heard Daivd Wolfe talk about planting gogi berries around. As an ecologist, a flag when up for me on that. I wander about if these plants can have invasive qualities to them. One of the characteristics of an invasive are that they can survive in a variety of habitats. Invasive exotics or invasive non-natives are considered the number two reason for a reduction in biodiversity second only to human development. Gogi berries may not be invasive eventhough they are non-native to this area but still caution should be taken. Plants like Autumn Olive and Multiflora Roses were once thought to be useful conservation plants and were planted by the highway departments and now are speading everywhere especially in habitats that are already under stress like wetlands.

40. Kailyn says:

Whoa – where do you get all these things if you live in the cold wet UK???
    Love to all…….x
    Kailyn

41. Karolina says:

I have been to Mexico, because I took intersection 5 south instead on north trying to get to work , I was running late and I end up in Rosarito 🙂

42. Jill says:

I haven’t been, but we may go someday.