Raw Recipe for Nomi’s Applesauce Pie – The Renegade Health Show Episode #192

Wednesday Nov 26 | BY |

Ann and I love apple pie…

So when we came across this raw food recipe for raw apple pie from Nomi Shannon’s Raw Gourmet book (thanks, Nomi!), we were psyched.

A recipe like this makes me wonder why people cook some of their food at all. This is just so good raw, there’s no need to heating!

We also have two special guests at the end of the show… you’ll have to watch to find out who they are…

Your question of the day: What are you thankful for?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Raw Food Recipe for Nomi Shannon’s Applesauce Pie

Pie Crust:

1 3/4 Cup Organic Raw Almonds (Soaked)
1 1/2 Cup Organic Dates
1 Tbsp Water
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
Dash of Cinnamon
2 Teaspoons Psyllium

Pie Filling:

10-12 Apples (peeled and cored)
2 cups dates, pitted
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1-2 tablespoons psyllium

Instructions for crust: Put all ingredients in the food processor. Press into a pan. Dehydrate for 1 hour.

Instructions for filling: Put all filling ingredients into a Vitamix (or food processor if you really want to work!). Blend. Place into pie crust. Chill.

Instructions after the above two are done: EAT!

1. Sparrow says:

I’m thankful for food to eat and a roof over my head! I haven’t always had these two things so I am super-duper thankful for them!

And I am thankful for you, Kevin and Annmarie! You both go the extra mile in trying to help others improve their lives and health. Thank you so much and have wonderful holidays!

2. mary says:

I’m thankful for my family too! Some of us will be feasting in Maryland tomorrow. We’ll be leaving NJ early in the morning to get down there in time to prepare the meal and watch the parade and some football. I’m so thankful for friends too — and consider you, Kevin and Annmarie, as my friends. I hope we can meet in person some day. Enjoy your time with your folks. Happy Thanksgiving! Loved the pie demo, Annmarie.

3. Stepheny says:

I’m thankful for your show! You guys always make me smile and you always have useable information that helps me be the healthiest I can be. THANK YOU.

4. Mara Lindstrom says:

I thought that if you wanted something raw, you weren’t supposed to heat it above 118 degrees. You dehydrated the pie crust at 125. Please tell me your thinking on this.

Thannks,

5. Geri says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I am Thankful for everything, to see, to hear, to smell, to talk, to taste, to scratch an itch, to walk, to have my body whole and complete & fully functional.

I am thankful to see the sun rise & set everyday. I am thankful for my family & friends and my loving God who has blessed and favored me and mine.

I thank God for you Kevin & Anne Marie and it is was so nice to meet your lovely parents Anne Marie, thank you for sharing them with us.

Hug, love & blessings,

Geri

6. cindy says:

I’m thankful for a nice warm house and my computer so that I can watch your show everyday, and for you two as well.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

7. Faye says:

I am thankful today for my family – and for the enlightment from this forum.

8. LuAnn Agustin says:

I’m thankful to have been open-minded enough and heeded my wake-up call after a most serious health challenge almost two years ago and changed my life for the better because of it. My family members are also waking up to the realities of the SAD diet and making some positive changes in their lives as well. Of that, I am also thankful! Happy holidays to all!

9. Jenny says:

Hello!
    First and foremost, I am thankful for the Lord! He has changed my life and continues to lead me and teach me! I am thankful for my husband who is the man of my dreams! I am thankful for my children, 5 and one on the way! They are blessings and a pure joy to my heart!
    Happy Thanksgiving Day!

10. Beth says:

I am so thankful for the internet because it’s the #1 resource for all my natural health info. and education. Like watching your show every day! Thank you Kevin and Annmarie. Have a great Thanksgiving. Beth

11. Mary says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

Great show! I am so grateful and thankful for my nice warm house and the ability to have access to good food. I’m also thankful for all the wonderful people in my life and you two are included! Even though we haven’t met (yet), I look forward to your show each day and I feel as though you are my friends.
    By the way, I absolutely LOVE your giggling and laughing! Can’t believe anyone would be critical of someone enjoying themselves as they help others. Keep it up and know you are truly making a difference!

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Mary

12. Joyce says:

I cant wait to try out this recipe!

quick question, how long did you soak the almonds for?

13. Nicole says:

I’m thankful for the wonderful and loving people that I have in my life, for my good health, for my open mind and heart leading me toward better health through the best nutrition, and for all the joy brought by the little things in life.

And I think your giggling is wonderful!
    It always makes me giggle too and laughter is wonderful for a person’s body and soul. GIGGLE ON!

14. Meg says:

Just a little bit of input: the opening and closing music is highly grating on the nerves – have you ever considered something calmer?

15. Monica says:

I’m thankful for the the Good, the Bad and the Ugly moments it always make me undestand life better. I’m thankful for everything.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love and Peace.

16. gloria says:

Im thankful for being alive, for my family, friends, life in general, for all of you helping us thru this journey.
    Thanx to every one for all the great comments. thanx to the universe!!!!! and especially God.
    Peace and love to all……….

gloria

17. CINDY says:

I am thankful to be alive and that my family is well and for all the free recipes and information that you and Annmarie share with us. Your website is my favorite and I have learned so many things from it. Have a very happy holiday. LOVE, CINDY.

18. MARY THOMAS says:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY RAWDORABLE DARLINGS, LOVE AND PEACE,CEASELESS BLESSINGS XX MARY P.S. YOUR GIGGLES ARE DELIGHTFUL!

19. Jacalyn says:

I think your giggling is cute! and human, and fun…

20. Raluca says:

I am thankful for finding you, your show is so informative, enlightening, fun and optimist, it has made a huge difference in my life!

It was so nice to meet your parents, Annmarie. I think you all are so cute and there is so much love in all your family!

Love you! Happy Thanksgiving!

21. Doug44 says:

Howdy you guys, Just wanted to pop in and say Happy ThanksGiving. The Pie looked great. I got hit with a Nut while watching this time. Bye for now, Doug in Calif……

22. I am thankful that I am not an intolerant douchebag that complains about ridiculous things like giggling.

23. Denise says:

Nice to “meet” your parents, Annmarie. I trust you all had a nice time together!
    I’m thankful for my family, both extended & immediate. They’re very supportive & loving.

24. Kadi says:

Great show! I have two questions. Much of your cooking seems to go through a dehydrating phase. If I do not have one, could I use a regular oven with a door open at a very low heat and get a similar result? What could the Psyllium be replaced with – never ever seen that around here (France or Germany – I shop on the both sides of the border).
    And to answer your question – I’m thankful for the opportunity to see my boys grow. I’m thankful that the health problems they’ve had they’re growing out of.

25. Linda says:

I am thankful for everything I have. I have been blessed with so many wonderful things… family, job, house,etc.

I have to tell you that I was prompted to comment here when you made the comment about the giggling. I love that you are happy and having fun while you do the show! It makes me giggle.

26. Dawn B says:

I’m thankful for a happy, healthy family, and friends to share our journey with.

Thanks for being out there and sharing parts of your life with us, and for teaching me a new way to look at “cooking”. I’ll probably never be completely “raw” but I’m always interested in health and nutrition and new ways to play with food.

That applesauce pie would be a cool addition to our traditional foods, can’t wait to try it out.

27. stella Morris says:

I’m thankful for everything in my life, I am so blessed, and that includes all of you who contribute to this forum.
    p.s. I agree about the music, I usually mute it.
    Love and blessings to all of you.

28. Bette says:

I am so grateful for your giggling…..I love Annmaries giggling..it is so cute and so fun…dont ever stop.The person who thought it unprofessional…..did you two ever say you WERE professional and besides maybe they have nothing to giggle about in their life.Laughing in internal jogging and it very curative….laugh on.

29. Bette says:

oh yes…on the “music” at open and close of program.I always mute it.I am excited to see the new changes in that when its ready to occur….woohoooo

30. Linda B. says:

Love the giggles – it always brightens my day to hear both of you having so much fun together – what a testiment to the wonderful marriage you both share. I am thankful for so much, namely the ability we all have to be able to listen to the viewpoints of so many people and to be able to do something about our health before it is too late. Thank you both for bringing us such useful and informative information! Thank you Annmarie for sharing your parents with us…happy thanksgiving to all of you, take care.

31. Karen Jackson says:

I am thankful for your shows and for all I have learned from you and Mike Adams, et al. I want to be 100% raw at some point and I know you guys can help me get there. P.S. I think your music suits you and I like it. Happy Thanksgiving!

32. Melinda Gill says:

I’m thankful for my kids, who make me see the world in a whole different way; for my husband who has been very supportive of my transition to a living foods lifestyle; for my extended family for all the love and encouragement they give; and of course for you guys and your fun, informative videos. They are a highlight of my day.

I just finished making the applesauce pie and made a little “tartlet” from the extras and the yumminess factor is beyond a ten! I can’t wait for the others to try it. This applesauce pie will most definitely be served at our extended family’s “traditional” Christmas feast as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families!

33. First of all I am thankful for the dawning of every day and the live food I consume every one of those days, also I am thankful for all the loving people in my life.
    We don’t celebrate thanks giving in NZ like you but I thank the universe for all the wonderful things that come my way every dawn, sunset and several times during the day, and I’m rewarded for this with a new and exciting day every morning.
    Thank you Kevin for your efforts to create a healthy world we are on the same path, and what a joy it is to ride this train.
    I’m off to try this recipe, enjoy your thanks giving.

Raelle

34. Ladan says:

I am thankful for continually learning and growing. I appreciate nature and all the wholesome things it has to offer..I am thankful for attracting wonderful people (like Kevin and Annemarie) into my life. You guys make me feel supported on my journey of health and wellness. So thank you and keep on inspiring because inspiration is what keeps us all motivated. To inspire is to renew hope so thanks for that.

Ladan

35. Amber says:

PLEASE Ann-Marie, KEEP giggling! You are just perfect the way you are! You two give us the feeling you’re on this journey WITH us as opposed to ABOVE us.
    Love you both!

36. And by the way, I ADORE the music and hope that you do not change it!
    I think that it suits your enthusiasm and excitement about what you are doing.

37. Janice says:

I am thank-ful for all the time and effort the two of you put into bringing these shows to us!!! You are professional enough for me and I enjoy watching happy people have fun, so giggle away!!! Have great HOLIDAYS!!!

38. Corrinne says:

I want to wish Kevin a very Happy Birthday and let both Kevin and Annmarie know now very helpful they are in bringing us all the much needed health information and ideas. You’re both a Blessing, thank you.

39. Joyce says:

Just wondering… would this recipe be ok using something other then almonds? I work in a group home where there are alot of food allergies and would like to try this out, but almonds just wont work 🙁

40. Fiona says:

Im thankful for my family and friends, that I don’t have money worries and have acess to good, healthy food and information about my health such as great programs like this and my (ever increasing) recipe book collection!

I love the giggling, and I think your vidoes are perfectly professional as they are.

If people don’t like the music (I have only listened to it a few times and it’s ok so far…) maybe you could have different music for different days – something upbeat and funky when you are talking about fitness, something calmer and relaxing when posing theoretical questions etc.

Belated Happy Thanksgiving to you both and everyone else who has commented.