A Raw Food Recipe for Yummy Mushroom Cakes – The Renegade Health Show Live! #167

Wednesday Oct 22 | BY |

We pulled it off…

Annmarie made an awesome raw food recipe and we did it live!

I have to admit, we might need to work on our live presentation because there can’t be any down time, or else everyone will get bored!

Today Annmarie made a yummy raw mushroom cake from a recipe out of Frank Giglio’s prep book…

Your question of the day… what should we put on these guys?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Frankie’s Mushroom Cakes

1/2 c chopped fresh mushrooms
1 (or 2) clove garlic
1 1/2 c zucchini, diced small
1 1/2 c cashews
1/2 c onion, diced small
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp bell peppers, diced small
2 tsp kelp powder
2 tbsp flax seed, ground
1 tsp chipotle powder (I used red pepper flakes)
1 tsp crystal salt -or to taste

In a food processor, puree mushrooms, garlic and half the veggies. Place in Mixing bowl. Now pulse the rest of veggies, roughly chop. Place in bowl, then roughly chop the cashews and add that to bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients.

Form into desired sized cakes (I get it now -like crab cakes 🙂 ) Dehydrate 125 for 8 to 12 hours. Cakes should be slightly crisp on the outside and soft in the inside. Serve with….

1. Bud Winger says:

Could not figure out how to get it.

2. Yvetta says:

I was 6 min late logging on, and didn’t catch the recipe, please repeat the ingredients thanks, Y

3. Dan O'Neal says:

Hi Kevin,
    Couldn’t really see what was happening as well as on past shows. I would suggest getting the camera past the fridge and higher looking down a little more on the food with the cart in the about the same place. It might be necessary for you to return to the other side of the camera again for space 🙂
    Dan

4. Gina says:

I love you guys, but I really like the prerecorded versions of your cooking shows better. I am very pressed for time, so the prerecorded versions are much better for me. Also I miss the recipe at the bottom, because I cut and paste them into my section of AnnMarie and Kevin recipes. Thanks, Keep it going. Gina

5. Valentina says:

Dear Kevin and Annmarie,

Here is very tasty raw cashew dressing which I found on one of my favourite web sites:
    drbenkim.com

It will go very well with your mushroom cakes. Enjoy!

Valentina

Better than Alfredo!

2 cups raw, organic cashews
    1-2 cloves garlic
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    Sea salt, to taste
    2 tablespoons chives or green onions (optional)
    Water

Blend all ingredients until you get a smooth and creamy sauce – start with just a 1/4 cup of water and add more as you blend until you reach a consistency that you like; for a thinner version that’s good for salads, use more water; for a thicker version that’s good for pasta dishes, use less water.

If you want to serve this delicious cashew sauce with an all-raw dish, make healthy pasta noodles out of zucchini.

Or mushroom cakes 🙂

6. Trinity says:

I don’t know what you should put on those mushroom cakes, but I wanted to say I love watching you two…live or not…edited or not, your shows are great either way. I haven’t been able to catch you live yet this week, but I don’t mind watching it later. I don’t even mind watching the stuff you would normally edit out.

We can tell you’re really having fun and that makes it all the more enjoyable 🙂

Keep it up!

7. Ron says:

This even though live, it doesn’t seem as personal or viewable (long shot, stationary camera) it almost needs the title “Out of the Kitchen” lol.

The In the Kitchen shows are much better with the camera in hand (no offence), like exercise also… I think if your goal is to have your own TV show, this live stuff should be as you might like that show.

8. dede says:

hmmm – – mushrooms, zuchini and cashews – – I think I’ll put something kinda lite and clean on top – maybe like a lemony something or maybe a carroty somthing – I wonder if there is such a thing…oh – a lemony carrot something 🙂 ..yum – think I had better fire up the dehydrator 🙂 – -hugs, Dede

9. Emily says:

I have to agree with Gina, I’m not feeling these live shows. I absolutely love the pre-recorded ones, and watch them everyday, but this past week I have found myself turning off the show only 2 min into it. It just doesn’t feel as cheery as the pre-recorded. And working my own business myself, I find it hard to have more then 5-10 min to watch.

Thanks for all the great recipes, fitness and health advise you give! Keep up the great work!

10. Eva says:

Hi, the cake/burger looks yummy, I have sunflower seeds soaking and was thinking as I was watching, wonder if I could substitute, well, you answered my question seconds after, thanks guys, couldn’t watch all the shows due to a funeral, but seen David Wolfe’s talk and also Patricia Bragg’s talk both awesome Eva

11. kim says:

when is Annmarie’s birthday? mine is nov 2 i will be 41 this year. love your shows and especially love the recipes and health information. thank you both for all of your hard work.

12. Kristina says:

Hi

Great time as always~
    I think the people who have said they like the pre-recorded shows better should first be tested out with better camera angles. I think closer in and a slight downward angle but that is just my opinion. I love the live shows you guys are great together. As for the recipe sounds great we dont do cashews so I will sub that out wehn I make it this weekend
    BTW what is the best nut/seed sub for cashews I was thinking mac nuts but what do you think?

I would serve these with cabbage buns or wrapped in a big collard leaf with sprouts avocado red onion and maybe some red bell like a big mouth burger ( all that is missing is young cocnut bacun have you heard of this yumminess made by Brigitte Mars check it out it is crispy coconut bliss)

Keep it up

Kristina

13. Carole says:

AnnMarie,
    Do you think I could sub Dulse flakes for the Kelp powder—don’t want to mess this up? Love all the recipes and what you are doing.
    Carole

14. Gayle says:

Had a problem trying to print out the recipe. Finally had to copy the whole page to a blank document, then delete everything. Then I could print it. Don’t know if anyone else had the problem or not.

I liked the show, but as you admit – you do need to work out the bugs. I would rather see the whole process like we used to. I’m sure that you will figure it out.

15. Diane says:

Liked the previous way you filmed the recipe shows much better. Could not see your ingredients OR the food processor. The new version was like I was in the cheap seats far away and the fridge was blocking the action.
    Please go back to the previous version where we could SEE EVERYTHING and UPCLOSE!
    Thanks. Your first instincts were right!
    -Diane

16. Traci says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

I think the live shows are okay, but I’m not able to watch them live. But whether they are live or pre-recorded, I like the way you used to have the camera angles before, right at the food processor and stove area. It’s better if I can see what’s going on because I am a more visual person. I’m allergic to mushrooms, so I don’t think I can make this recipe unless I use a substitute for the mushrooms.

Traci

17. Valerie says:

Hey Annmarie and Kevin!
    Great job! You two are so cute together. The live show was fun, maybe not for always – sometimes editing is good thing. Nonetheless, loved the recipe we’re off to find the book. Nomi’s a pro that’s for sure, but must say we like your previous way of filming the cooking shows. More natural and comfortable in style and you can see more clearly what Annmarie is doing. Kind of like standing in the kitchen with her watching her cook. It works for us! The distance between the actual preparation and camera is the thing that lacks in this new angle. Plus it loses the homey touch that all of us Italian girls grew up with when we learned to cook side-by-side with our mothers and grandmothers. Anyway . . .

Kevin – as one Italian to another – you know we are special and we have special dietary needs 🙂 eat more raw italian olives, garlic, maybe a very little organic red wine! Get that candida right outta there!

WTG on the live broadcast. Blessings to you both
    ~valerie