A Braised Spinach Living Food Recipe – The Renegade Health Show #147

Wednesday Sep 24 | BY |

To be honest with you, Annmarie and I had no idea what “braised” meant when we did this episode… 🙂

This is not exactly a raw food recipe, since miso is not technically raw.

Many, though, consider it a living food, so we figured we’d make this one for ya… it’s awesome!

I also explain why miso is not raw in this episode…

Your question of the day: (1) What does braised mean? (2) Do you eat miso?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

We got this recipe from Cherie Soria’s book: The Raw Revolution Diet (The book is AWESOME!)

Here’s the recipe…

“Braised” Spinach with Mustard Lemongrette

Mustard Lemongrette

1 tbsp Flaxseed Oil
1 tbsp light Miso
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp minced red onion
2 tsp agave
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
pinch of sea salt (to taste)
pinch of freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

Salad

6 packed cups baby spinach
1 1/2 tbsp pine nuts

For the Dressing: Combined all ingredients and blend until smooth. Combined dressing with spinach in large bowl. Massage well to soften. Serve and garnish with pine nuts.

Kevin

1. Cherie says:

I braise meat when I make beef stew. Cook the meat quickly at a very high temp. You cook it dark but not burnt. It seals in the juices and makes great flavor. Then you put in the rest of the stuff at a very low temp and cook for several hours.

2. Cherie says:

I no longer eat soy. For about 7 years my thyroid would not adjust. It got to 96.4 which meant I had an open invite to the ER anytime. The next year was spent eliminating foods from my diet one by one. I was not getting better and all the Dr could do was adjust the RX but that did not fix it or stop the problem. Soy was the only food left to eliminate so with much fear it was gone from my diet. Within days I felt better and within 3 weeks my thyroid levels were finally normal! (Dr’s will tell you it takes 4-6 weeks to adjust) The first time in 8 years! Not eating soy cut out a lot of food and processed foods. I no longer eat soy or soy lecithin but am recovering with other wonderful foods. (I wish recovery would be quicker though) I will have to try this recipe with something else:) I am not yet Vegan but that is my goal.

3. Erica says:

Awesome show, and I will be making that dressing!!

Okay, question one-braising is a sort of low heat cooking, usually for meat (but you can do it with veggies) where you simmer the item to be braised in an acidic liquid. With meat you usually sear it first. Braising is one of my fave things ever–I think what happened with the spinach the way you made it is that the acid in the lemon juice sort of ‘cooked’ it (right?) which was really cool to watch and something I’m going to try.

And, I love miso. Miso makes me happy.

4. Janet says:

Like the person commenting on how soy affected her thyroid, I too won’t touch soy. Eating soy messed with my hormone cycle. I would have periods every 3 weeks instead of my usual 4. After getting off soy, everything normalized.

5. Mariela says:

Thank you for such an awesome, informative, entertaining and funny blog.

For those that like the beautiful organic apron, Heather’s store is in Santa Barbara, CA and her website is http://www.TheOrganicAcorn.com/

6. Wendi Dee says:

CUTE episode! I love the two of you!!!

I always thought braised meant it was slightly seared, but I never knew since mostly meat is braised and I never ate meat. 😛

The recipe sounds and looks yummy! I never bought miso, but if it was in a raw dish that I wanted to eat, I wouldn’t keep myself from eating it because of that. I doubt I’d ever eat it regularly, however, since I’m not into eating much processed foods or soy products.

You forgot the link for the apron. 😉

It’s always fun to watch the two of you together. Your Wednesday shows are ones that I never like to miss!

Lots of love,

Wendi
    XOXOXO

7. Margie says:

I used to use Miso but I get a bad headache now with ANY soy. What could I use instead. Erica is right on the braising. Searing is what you do with stew meat or pot roast to seal in the juices (if you still eat meat). Thanks for the recipe. Yum!

8. Jo Anne says:

ok I am a bit confused. Are you sure Miso is not a raw food? I thought it is fermented and not always a soy product.

Braising is slow cooking in liquid for tough cuts of meat.

9. Vicki McMahon says:

hi,
    i dont eat soy but love miso, there are some misos made without soy, South River company makes them, one from Azuki beans, and one from Chickpeas, they are both really good and dont have soy in them.

10. Anne says:

Really great cooking show.

Braising is frying briefly, to brown, then cooking slowly in liquid in the oven.

I don’t eat miso.

11. Dede says:

You two just crack me up 🙂 – – ok – – the pockets in your apron – I think they are for dry things like spices, salt etc – that you might add several times as you are cooking. Thats what I’ve always thought, anyway. Nope – not your cell phone, Kevin 🙂 – the pioneers wore aprons – and they didn’t have cell phones 😉 – see how that works? …just teasin ya.
    If that is the same kind of miso that is in miso soup – – I love it!!
    Braising? – don’t know – but I’m sure all the comments above are correct. The only time I’ve heard of it is in the advertisements for brazier burgers at Dairy Queen – and I never did know what that meant.

Oops – can I say Dairy Queen on here ;-).

hugs, Dede

12. Tuesday says:

Haha we love you guys! I was surprised the Italian couple didn’t know what braised was. Just kidding!

As far as the miso, we LOVE it! I absolutely think soy is one of the most harmful foods out there but as we all know, its great in its fermented form. I put miso in almost every dressing I make.

PS I made about 50 of a variation of those little collard green burritos for a free-cycling event I catered and everyone loved them.

13. Shaun in Tucson says:

I eat miso pretty much daily, and I get mine from South River Miso. They have many kinds of delicious miso…several kinds with no soy. My favorite is Garlic-Red Pepper.

I don’t eat soy, either.

14. Jenn says:

Haha, nice helping out on the pepper 🙂

Braising is one of those culinary terms that only the experts know, OK or maybe just not me. I prefer your way with the spinach!!

As far as Miso, I also do not eat it and avoid soy. It never did agree with me much(which is too bad with soy sauce) but then I learned the thyroid connection later so perhaps that is why my body didn’t care for it (I’m hypothyroid). Now I think a lot of soy is way too processed so avoid it anyways.

This recipe I do like, any thoughts on what flavors to use to sub in for the miso??

15. Dede says:

Is soy bad for most people? hmm – I thought it was healthy? …confused, Dede

16. glenda coook says:

Braising is a cooking method by which you take meat but possibly veggies and brown them in oil and then cook them at a low temperature covered for a long period of time. Could be done on top of the stove or in the oven.

17. Pixywinks says:

Fun episode. I love spinach. I have some miso in the fridge but haven’t tried it yet. I really don’t like to eat soy ’cause it makes me feel bad. I will have to check my miso and see if it’s the soy kind. I think it is chickpea.
    I wasn’t sure about braising either, but the other comments sound right.
    Pixy Lisa

18. Cindy says:

Thanks for showing us some Cherie Soria’s book recipes — the reason I didn’t buy the book is because it didn’t have enough pictures in it 🙁 I need LOTS of pictures if I’m going to buy anymore recipe books (FYI to any authors out there!)

Also, thanks so much for the comments info on South River Miso – I don’t do well with soy either.

You guys are great, you keep me motivated!!

19. Joyce says:

Braising is to cook slowly in liquid…not just meat. Braised carrots with a little water and lots of butter were a favorite from The Art of French Cooking…note the operative word WERE a favorite. Now my carrots are served raw sans butter.

Wilting the spinach with lemon and calling it braised is really a misnomer. Regardless of what it’s called…bring it on!

20. Rev Bob says:

A wet-roasting technique that slow cooks inexpensive cuts of meat, or even vegetables. The use of small amounts of moisture with cuts like chuck ..

Yes, I eat miso

21. Marlene says:

Liked reading the comments about soy and hypothyroid issues. I too have stopped eating soy and am feeling much better. I even noticed soy lecithin in vitamins can affect me so I take vitamins without it. occasionaly I will use Nama Shoyu but I’m not so sure I should be having that either.

22. Linda says:

You guys are so cute……..we probably should’ve discussed “braising” during our jog yesterday! It means to sear or brown something relatively quickly (usually meat but some veggies work too)and then to continue the cooking in a liquid medium (on the stovetop or in an oven…either way). Contrary to popular belief, browning meat will not seal in the juices but it does make it yummy and flavorful. This was such a fun episode and I loved that you really got into the food and worked it with your hands. Your apron is very sweet – the pros will often tie the apron string around the waist and hang a side towel there so you can wipe your hands without dirtying your apron and use it to handle hot cookware (not an issue when you’re “cooking” raw.) I love “In the Kitchen”!

23. Elizah says:

Braised means cooking or frying in a small amount of liquid. 🙂

24. Alissa Benjamin says:

I LOVE miso

25. Natasha says:

is dijon mustard raw??!!!

26. Karen Jackson says:

I love to make miso soup. It’s good and not too many ingredients. You neglected to mention that there are different misos. I only use the light one which has a light flavor and color. Thanks for a yummy new recipe!

27. Peta-anne Havenga says:

This is a great recipe and a great website, you should try the recipe. Yum

28. Lori Coleman says:

Kevin & AnnMarie,

I just love you guys–hope to meet you someday. If you ever come to Maui look me up! Anyway I just found out that I am hypothyroid and have had symptoms for over 20 yrs. I also have adrenal fatigue-the two usually go hand in hand. I have always put soy milk in my tea in the morning and sometimes in my smoothies, but I am entirely off soy now and feel so much better. I haven’t had miso in a long time–and after reading all of the blogs don’t think I want to go there. I think we can substitute the soy miso with miso that is not made with soy in the above recipe. It looks delicious–can’t wait to try it!

Thanks for your awesome show!

29. Jeanne SDR says:

Braising (from the French “braiser”) is a combination cooking method using both moist and dry heat; typically the food is first seared at a high temperature and then finished in a covered pot with a variable amount of liquid, resulting in a particular flavour.

I Googled it!

30. ida margrethe says:

mmm…spinach.
    These episodes should rather be called “Fun in the kitchen”! its always fun ;]

i looked up braised, and this is what it said:
    ‘Braising is a cooking technique in which the main ingredient is seared, or browned in fat, and then simmered in liquid on low heat in a covered pot’

..sounds horrid! what u do is a million times better!
    and no, ive never tried miso.. sounds salty. is it salty?

31. Jos says:

Braised is cooked slowly in very little liquid unlike stews that use a lot of liquid and need a thickening agent.

I love Miso especially as Japanese Miso Soup.

32. Louann Lampa says:

My unabridged Webster of the 80’s describes “braise” as cooking “meat” slowly with a little fat.
    I used to use miso, but the more raw I get, the less I desire to use it. Even thinking of “cooking the soybeans” make it not seem like a raw food. In the end effect, we all have to “feel” whether this or that food/procedure is right for us, which honestly changes in our body, mind, and chemistry from one moment to another.

33. Meri says:

That was so funny 🙂 Great episode! I’m still not sure what braised means but since I’m not likely to braise anything I’m, not bothered. I have miso soup from time to time but mostly steer clear of soy. I still eat it on occassion with no percieved ill effects.

34. Hi AnnMarie and Kevin,
    What a cute show! Glad you love the apron. Yes, the apron is organic Texas color grown cotton color grown, i.e. no dyes needed either, sewn in California by “Native Organics” (including sewing on those handy pockets 🙂 ) and then my mom very lovingly does the embroidery on her nifty embroidery machine, also in CA. So glad to meet you in Sedona 🙂 If anyone else would like an apron, they are $69 including shipping, just please give me an email at acornorganics@gmail.com or a call at 805-895-1351.
    Hope to see you again next June for Raw Spirit Fest. near Santa Barbara.
    Best wishes,
    Heather Baker, Acorn Organics in Santa Barbara

35. ildiko says:

Hey Guys,
    love the wednesday shows, cannot miss one episode of your other shows as well, great work!
    Braising sounds to me it has to do with meat and fast cooking or maybe stewing. Have not cooked beef in years, not sure if you could braise chicken.
    AS for soy, I do avoid all soy products, accept miso, which in my opinion is more healthy and because it is fermented, we get huge benefits from consuming a small amount once in a while. The problem is that when people start to consume soy they do it by eating blocks and blocks of tofu, litres of soy milk ( yeeeek, I even had one friend who was advised to drink a LITRE of soy milk each day of her pregnancy to get her protein!!!) which are highly processed and not the best ways to consume soy.
    Each to their medicine! I have a thyroid problem as well and do well with soy.

36. sheree says:

Here is a website to South River products. I do like miso and am thrilled that your show brought about all this talk on miso without soy. http://www.southrivermiso.com/store/pg/26-What-is-Miso.html

I love the apron! I don’t know what I would put in the pockets. lol

37. mary kay says:

Thanks for all you folks do!

Re soy: Ten yrs ago, I was slightly hypothyroid and tried everything natural under the sun. Did many experiments: One involved comsuming larger amounts of soy than I typically would. Eight weeks later, there was no change to my thyroid.

However, I do believe there may be a few who are sensitive to it, I believe many more are phobic. In moderation, without using overly processed soy, like in commercial soy burgers etc, I believe it has its benefits.

Thanks again,

Mary Kay

38. mary kay says:

I forgot to add that I was on meds (small amts) for ten yrs, figuring I’d be on them for life, after I tried everything. Then by accident, after doing sev’l raw-juice fasts, my hypothyroidism was cured!

Mary Kay