A Raw Food Superfood Smoothie Recipe and Plant Protein Discussion – The Renegade Health Show #118

Thursday Aug 14 | BY |

Last night, I spoke with Glen Collelo at his cafe in West Haven…

I figured it would be fun to show you some clips and give you the raw food superfood smoothie recipe that Glen made during the “show and tell”!

We also talk about almond milk as well as where you can get your plant proteins as a vegan or raw foodie.

(For those of you who’ve asked questions, I’ll get to ’em next week!)

Take a look now…

Your question of the day: What smoothie are you drinking now?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Glen’s Superfood Smoothie Recipe

1 cup almond milk
1 cup filtered water
2 bananas
1 Tbsp Cordyceps
1 Tbsp Blue Green Algae
1 Tbsp ReVitaPhi Green Powder

Blend! (To get some of these products you can click here)

Thanks to all of you who took advantage of the Water Secrets special offer! We’re glad we could offer it to you. 🙂

For those of you who did not, you still can get FREE 30 day access to the Renegade Health Inner Circle by clicking here!

Kevin

1. Elizah says:

My favourite breakfast smoothie that I’m drinking now is almost like a pina colada. I don’t really measure anything, I just throw in some fresh coconut milk, some ice, a banana, a mango and some more shredded coconut. It’s so good! It keeps me full too. I haven’t tried putting pineapple in it, but I’m sure that would taste great as well. It isn’t a great protein source, but it sure does taste good. 🙂

I also have been drinking a green smoothie with just a lot of different fruits and kale. I find that the fruits almost disguise the taste of kale, which is good because I don’t like the taste of kale, heh.

Anyways, great show 🙂

2. Jeanne SDR says:

Right now my favorite afternoon smoothie is spinach. Usually I put rejuvalac in to make it blend up more easily. I put a little dressing in for falvor- vinegar/oil/herbs; and some onion- love onion. No after lunch slump with this one, and it carries me until supper without so much as a growl. Sometimes I’ll put in some raw pine nuts or dehydrated tomatoes. But quick and easy works best for me.
    Thanx for all you do,
    Jeanne SDR

3. Lauren Wilczynski says:

If I’m not mistaken, cordyceps is a parasitic fungus that preys upon eukaryotic organisms (which we are…) by planting itself inside the organism, feeding off its body, and eventually killing it. Are you sure that’s safe to eat…especially raw, where there is a chance of spores surviving intact?

4. Miriam says:

Hey, its great of you to write up the Recipes, thankyou I appreciate it as i cant watch the show -I have slow old dial up, not zippy efficient broard band :-(.
    I’m excited to try the walnut “meatballs” this w/e. THe weather is warming up and being raw is much more attractive when the temperature is above 0 degrees. Bring on spring, and the joy of trying out your culinary extravaganzas. Cheers Miriam

5. janell says:

Made choco-banana smoothies for my nieces and nephew. It seems to be the number one hit at the moment for them.

3-4 bananas
    3 heaping TBSN raw cacao
    hemp milk (or nut milk)
    agave (few good squirts)

It seems to be a hit at the moment with them. Oh yeah..Kevin the video’s audio was really low, it was hard for me to hear ya.

Take care

6. Stephanie Tisone says:

my current yummy smoothie…

1 pint fresh blueberries
    few leafy greens kale, or romaine or both (depends on what I have)
    1 sm avocado
    2 or so heaping tblsp spirulina
    1 whole lemon ( skin removed)
    green stevia
    pinch celtic salt
    cinnamon
    water to blend

7. Andrew says:

Hey guys. Interesting discussion. One of the topics was vegetable protein, which is something I’ve spent a good deal of time studying. If anyone is interested, I wrote up a page about it here:http://www.raw-food-health.net/VegetableProtein.html

The short of it is that vegetable protein can meet all your needs without supplementation provided there is variety in your diet. But check out the page for details.

8. Al says:

My smoothies change day to day, depending on the ingredients on hand…but typically…

1 tbsp Boku Superfood
    1 tbsp Healthforce Nutritionals VitaMineral Green
    1 tbsp hemp protein powder
    1 avocado
    handful of vegetable greens
    1 banana
    1 tbsp coconut oil
    add as much purified water as necessary
    blend well

might add a small amount of any of the following if you wish to sweeten a bit…

blueberries,raspberries,strawberries,raw agave nectar

Be creative, try different combinations, have fun!

9. Astrid says:

My favorite smoothie right now: 1 frozen banana, 1 c. frozen grapes, 1T. goji berries, several leaves of kale, acai powder, 1T.hemp protein powder, 1 tea. vitagreen and 1/2 T. chia seeds.

Blend chia seeds with 1.5 cups water until completely processed. Chop kale and add–blend till smooth and add frozen fruits and remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth. Enjoy.

10. cheryl says:

Hey Kevin,

I’m very interested to hear your reply to Lauren’s question about cordyceps! Good question.

11. Michelle says:

Drinking Brazil Nut Milk, goji, camu camu, hemp protein powder, bokusuperfood, mango, peaches and strawberries. Yummy:)

In response to Lauren’s concern I looked cordyceps up and found a whole bunch of info on Natural News. Here is an excerpt: Cordyceps, like many other medicinal mushrooms, contains complex sugars (especially beta 1,3 glucan) and other nutrients (nucleosides, triterpenoids) which seem to strongly nourish and activate various components of the immune system, useful in treating cancer, chronic fatigue and other immune disorders. It also seems to have value in treating nephritis, may help the immune system recognize tumors that otherwise might escape immune surveillance, and has positive effects on the cardiovascular and nervous systems, and an anti-aging effect.

12. My morning smoothie usually has the same base of blueberries (sometimes frozen), aloe vera gel or juice, colloidal trace minerals, green powder (which varies depending on what product I’m testing…I do like the Boku brand)and SunWarrior plant protein powder The ingredients that vary are acai powder, lettuce, kale, banana (during summer/warm weather) and any other vegetables or fruits I’m in the mood for. Cordyceps is an interesting addition that I haven’t thought of. Although, I have taken medicinal mushrooms on several occasions to boost my immune function.

thanks for your input everyone!

Dustin

13. Lauren Wilczynski says:

I don’t deny the potential nutritional effects of mushrooms; however my concern was one of safety, not nutrition, which I don’t think has been addressed. Because…this is what happens to the unfortunate victims of cordyceps:

14. Meri says:

Right now I am drinking:
    Mango
    Coconut Water
    1 TBSP Sun Is Shining greens powder
    Sun Warrior rice protein
    1 tsp Maca
    1 tsp cacao powder
    1 TBSP coconut oil
    A sprinkle of cacao nibs
    Extra water as needed for consistency 🙂

I usually make a nice vegetable juice with broccoli and spinach (sometimes parsley too) later in the day, to get some real fresh green juices in. That all sets me up till dinner when I make a big salad and munch happily while I watch my bf slave over a hot stove to make his dinner 😉 tee hee.

I’ve done juice feasting before but has anyone ever done smoothie feasting?

15. My fav smoothie is :
    banana, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries,
    fresh ginger, 2 scoops of herb docs superfood,
    and goats milk (all organic of course)
    Mmmmmmm…… gives me a charge. ( ginger is a natural circulatory stimulant and anti-inflammatory herb )Good for arthrirtis.

16. Alissa Benjamin says:

my favorite is
    frozen bananna, carob, pecans and water.

Second favorite is
    watermelon and ice belended up – awesome when working out in my garden.

Alissa

17. sharon ferguson says:

Wow, looks like everybody has powerful morning drinks! Mine is usually simple frut in the morning and more superfood in the evening. I live in Colorado so the peaches are fantastic right now. Peaches (2), spinach, fresh OJ and a splash of water hits the spot lately. I usually take with it MSM, acidopholus, and sometimes trace minerals, C food complex from new chapter (which has cordyceps, maitaike, shitake, and reishi in it) and nettles.
    In the evening I’ve been loving the chocolate milk made with fresh almond milk, 2 coconut ice cubes (coconut water blended with the jelly/meat), goji berries, cacao, maca, spirulina(just a little) and agave.
    Or sometimes I just have (instead) a couple teaspoons of the Artisana Goji Bliss, have you tried that? It is so yummy…(coconut butter, goji berries and agave).

18. mike henderson says:

Hi kevin,
    I notice a lot of smoothie recipes include
    banana-I’m not allergic or anything but I feel
    banana is best eaten on it’s own and not mixed
    with other fruits like berries and so on.
    Is there another fruit than would give something similar to what bananas do but not
    over power the smoothie with banana.?

19. Michael says:

I did cacao smoothies for over a week and I burned myself out on them. I would make really complex ones and I have noticed that now I just try to stay simple.
    Sometimes simple is best!

20. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

I used to make smoothies with a lot of superfoods like green powders, camu camu, raw virgin coconut oil, etc… Raw Power! with raw chocolate was my favorite. I used to add them to nut milks, like almond milk and hemp nut milk, pecan milk and macadamia nut milk. But just as Kevin said, I am always changing what I do. Right now, I am simply drinking fruit smoothies.. my latest favorite which serves 2, is:

1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
    1 cup of water
    1 large peach, peeled
    1 nectarine, with the skin
    1 apricot, with the skin
    and a small squirt of agave (optional)

and sometimes we add a plum too.
    It tastes great.. something like peach nectar, only better.

21. Bernadette says:

sorry… I forgot to add that I also include a banana in my peach smoothie recipe.

To Mike Henderson.. you can use mango in the place of bananas in your smoothies and that will thicken and sweeten them up too.

22. Bernadette says:

Also… blueberries and apricots are natural thickening agents… that’s why you don’t need pectin in blueberry and apricot jam. They can be used in the place of bananas too.

23. Cheryl Holt says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie! Love Your SHOW even more now!

My morning smoothie changes as I alternate the Super foods but most of the time it goes something like this:
    Oh and sorry Kevin but this one is all about the chocolate!

1 cup Organic Hemp Milk usually chocolate
    1 packet of Sambazon Acai Original Berry Organic
    1 cup of Organic Frozen Blueberries
    1 or 2 Organic frozen banana(s)
    1 Tablespoon of Hemp Protein Powder (Living Harvest Organic Cold Milled Chocolate Chili)
    2 heaping Tablespoons of Elements For Life Raw Cacao Powder
    One Teaspoon of Sunfoods Red Maca
    Raw Blue Agave Nectar to taste. If I use sweeter tasting nut mylk, I leave the Agave nectar out.

I alternate through the following depending on how I am feeling:

Crunchy: Raw Cacao Nibs 1Tablespoon
    1 teaspoon to One tablespoon of Elements For Life Blue Green Algae
    ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of Elements For Life Cordyceps
    One Tablespoon of Healthforce Nutritional Spirulina
    One Tablespoon of Sunfoods The Sun is Shining
    I may throw in a table spoon of raw organic goji or raw chocolate bliss from Artisana
    Or handful of Raw Organic Tibetan Goji Berries from Elements for Life

I like to change up my smoothie esp. on the days when I am having a more relaxing morning at home and will make up something very different. There are so many great smoothie recipes. My favorite odd smoothie is one from RAW FOOD REAL PEOPLE by Matthew Kenney and Sarma Melngailis from Pure Food and Wine out of New York and that is BUNNY SPICE! You start out with carrot and fresh ginger juice and add that to bananas and a nut mylk with some cinnamon, vanilla and such. It is wonderful. Their book is full of fantastic raw food recipes. Thanks to everyone for sharing I can’t wait to try some of these smoothies out. I love smoothies. : )

24. Bernadette says:

Here is another great smoothie recipe for the people who like fruit.. I just made this one this morning and I think it is one of the best I’ve tried yet..

1 cup of water
    1 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
    1 banana
    1 handful of raspberries
    1 nectarine and
    1 small orange-yellow plum

You will love it, I’m sure.

25. Melinda says:

Here’s my morning smoothie recipe

2 Bananas
    2c. spinach or 1-2 tbsp. of a super green powder
    1 1/2 – 2c. of water

26. Lori Coleman says:

Hi Kevin & AnnMarie,

Love your show!
    My superfoods smoothie goes like this:

1 cup raw nut milk
    1 c. orange juice
    1/2 to 1 c. water
    1 banana(frozen or not)
    1 c. mango (my favorite)!
    1 c. frozen 3 berries
    1 c. blueberries
    strawberries if on hand
    Nutiva Hemp protein pwdr.
    1 TBSP HealthForce VitaMineral Green pwdr.
    1 c. Hemp seeds
    1 c. greens(kale, salad mix, buckwheat sprouts, blend of red clover sprouts, radish sprouts, and lentil sprouts)
    Blend and enjoy!
    I sometimes add 1 tsp. or more of HealthForce Spirulina for added protein and energy, but it does alter the taste of the smoothie!

Thanks again!
    Lorrie

27. Andy says:

My smoothie usually contains the following: 1 banana, 1 apple, other assorted fruits and berries depending what’s on hand, 2 scoops of Boku superfood, a tablespoon of chia seeds, sometimes honey or peanut butter/tahini (small amount of each) and at various times kale (which tastes good) or spinach. Top up with filtered water to make a liter and blend! The chia seeds really thicken it up after 10-15 minutes and make this smoothie really satisfying and lasts for hours. I drink half in the morning and take the rest to work for later. I’m experimenting further with more veggie oriented mixes s well.
    Peace Out!

28. Lorie says:

My basic smoothie is 2 c filtered water, 1 banana, 1 c frozen blueberries, 1 scoop Super Seed (Garden of Life), some nut butter, some cinnamon, and spinach. I, too, drink 1/2 and then take the other 1/2 to work. Sometimes, when I remember to do this, I soak a handful of walnuts and 2 medjool dates over night and put them in instead of the peanut butter.

29. Coach AJ says:

my best-tasting smoothie to date: (for one serving)

4 or 5 frozen strawberries

1 or 2 stalks celery, sliced about 3/8 inch thick, frozen

handful napa cabbage OR pkgd cole slaw mix

1/3 green banana OR 1/4 green plantain, thinly sliced, for the resistant starch, also for creamy texture

1 tsp raw cocoa powder

1 serving raw whey protein powder

1 c chilled green tea

sweetener of choice

blend, blend, blend. start with tea, and any non-frozen ingredients, add protein powder while blender is going. if celery starts out too chunky, you risk a stringy smoothie. for ice crystals in your drink, a perennial favorite, you can freeze at least half of the fruit / veg before blending, or add crushed ice to finished smoothie.

if you have a Champion, freeze all ingredients and feed into chute for soft ice cream texture, stir to mix. yummmmm!!!!!!

thanks to all who posted recipes, and especially you Kevin, and Annmarie, for all you do.

30. Coach AJ says:

Kevin and all — oops, left the oil out of the smoothie recipe I just posted. (I do that sometimes in the mornings when I make smoothies, too.) I use a mild tasting extra virgin olive oil or Barlean’s high-lignan flax oil or other high-quality non heat processed oil, 1/2 to 1 Tbsp. I don’t use almonds in my smoothies for the nut oil, because as you probably know, American-grown almonds are no longer raw, they are “PASTEURIZED,” even the ones that look raw in the package. — Kevin, if you can’t insert this into the recipe I just posted, please post separately.

31. Moria Felber says:

For a thickener to replace banana in a smoothie try lecithin granuals it is an emulsifier and supports brain function. It seems to do the trick and has a nice mild flavor, a bit like vanilla or maca. Hope this helps.

32. Nobody has mentioned the must have smoothie book “Green for life” by Victoria Boutenko. So many good smoothie recipes! Even simply pear and parsley can be amazing.

Personally I do like adding Acai berry and MSM to most all my smoothies.