Summer Corn Salad Raw Food Recipe – The Renegade Health Show Episode #117

Wednesday Aug 13 | BY |

You’re going to love this one…

The raw food recipe for our summer corn salad is amazingly sweet and filling. It’s a great recipe for those of you who want more carbohydrates without eating massive amounts of fruit as well.

I literally beg you to make this one, it’s that good!

(Just make sure you get your corn from an organic market!)

Take a look now…

Your question of the day: How can I convince my mother that it doesn’t take more time to eat vegan?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your advice now!

Raw Summer Corn Salad

5 Ears of Corn
1 1/2 cup Snap Peas
1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes
1/4 of a Red Onion
1 small Jalapeno Pepper
1 1/2 Lime, squeezed
Small handful Cilantro
Small handful Basil
About 1/4 cup olive oil
Pinch of sea salt or to taste

Toss and serve!

BTW: Only a few more hours for the “Subscriber Appreciation” offer where you can get one of our top selling products at a significant discount! Click here to take advantage of the deal now… the offer ends @ 11:59 PM TONIGHT!

1. Wendi Dee says:

The recipe sounds great! I make corn salad, too, but I never made it exactly like you did just now. Most of the time I can’t wait to eat the corn…I just eat it on the cob! 😉

For your mama, Kevin, she just needs to realize that all of the chopping and prepping that she does for cooking is exactly the same with raw foods. She just gets to eat the food sooner, since she’s not cooking the life out of it. Plus, the dishes are so much easier to clean up, so she’ll save time there, as well!

A lot of people say that raw food takes a lot of time, but I think it takes half the time compared to when I used to cook.

Lots of love to all of you (including your loving mama)!

Wendi
    XOXOXO

2. Elizah says:

Thanks for the recipe! It looks great.

You should tell your mom that eating vegan is easy because you don’t have to cook anything! Most animal proteins you have to cook, and that takes time, especially meat. That’s why vegan is so convenient, and tasty because you can mimic almost any particular flavour of animal products.
    🙂

3. Kim says:

Hello,

First, I love your show. I wanted to suggest something for your Mom. When I first started the raw food diet I was real worried about how much time it would take to prepare the meals. I came across a Book called Alive in 5 by Angelia Elliott, real easy and will have your meals made in no time, in 5 minutes!

Kim

4. Lola says:

Mom ~ no cooking, what could be easier!!

Veggies go with each other very well, no fussing about what goes together.

Plus you will feel better inside & out, and who knows what other benefits you will discover?!!? You will have to come here and post your results! (or relay to Kevin, hehehee).

5. Naomi Henley says:

Tell your mom she look 10 years younger.

6. Naomi Henley says:

Tell your mom she will look 10 years younger

7. sharon ferguson says:

It really doesn’t take more time to eat vegan. One example is smoothies, I love them! And they hold me for hours, especially if I have one for breakfast. This morning I blended 1 Mango, 1/2+ cup Parsley, and the juice of one fresh orange with a splash of water. It was so vibrant, delicious and satisfying. And it took me all of 2 minutes to put together.
    Dinner was vegan but not all raw, we had a chick pea pureed soup with garlic, lemon, salt and bay leaf – delicious and took 2 minutes really!, with a cucumber, tomato, olive, parsley, mint, olive oil, lime ju, s+p salad over lettuce and sprouts. My husband needs more sometimes so I boiled some new potatoes to have with the salad – he loved this easy dinner that was very satisfying. Later I had my chocolate milk, mmmm.

8. janell says:

Sometimes with mom’s, actions speak louder than words. Think of your favorite childhood meal that she prepared (homemade) and illustrate how much simpler and healthier it is as a raw vegan dish (that is if it is something you can re-do raw).

I made a dish similiar to that and you are right-the flavors are awesome. That’s true about corn, you can’t eat too much of it – I know I get a stomach ache.

Thanks for sharing your world with us!

9. Ron says:

Mom,
    Watch the Renegade Health Show (“In The Kitchen episodes”) it’s awesom, and all the inspiration one needs to start preparing raw meals… lol enjoy

10. Raluca says:

I usually make a gazpacho or a cucumber cold soup in about 5-10 minutes (depending on the cleaning of the vegetables). Tell me what boiled (or maybe even fried) soup I could make in that time… I could make a vegetable soup maybe in at least 30-45 minutes, I don’t want to think about any meat soup how long it would take…

Plus, like Wendi said , the cleaning of the dishes is really much easier.

Plus, who wants to cook in this time of the year and stay in a steamy kitchen?

11. Mary says:

Not to discourage, but..if it is hard to find organic food in your area, it does not make it easier.
    For your mom she is only one person. It should be pretty easy to be vegetarian or raw. It is very hard when you have a big family, to try and find organic and afford it.
    We can all try little by little though to get there!! Right?

12. Alissa Benjamin says:

Kevin’s mom eatting vegan is easier because you FEEL great! Feeling great gives you more energy to to do more in your day. Once you have 10 recipes you love and are familar with it will be no different in the actual prep time. My mom and dad both recently became vegan in ther mid 50’s with my help. I am sure if they can do it you can easily with Kevin & Ann Marie’s help.
    In good heatlh for you
    Just think over your life time you will save 3000 animals. 🙂
    Alissa

13. Selah says:

Sounds delish! However, all corn is full of fungus now, even if you grow it yourself. So, it wouldn’t be something I’d eat much, but I suppose once in awhile would be ok. Corn IS yummy!

14. Karen Jackson says:

Don’t just tell your mom – go over more often and prepare this great food till she gets it. You two are the cutest – sending you a big spiritual hug!

15. Meri says:

Wow, corn salad looks very yummy indeed.

Kevin, tell your mum that vegan food is sooooooooooo much quicker and easier to make and digest than non vegan meals. In my house it takes me about 10-15 minutes to prepare a meal (I am high % raw vegan). My boyfriend likes cooked meals with animal products so he makes his own. Even his most simple meal will take 1/2 hour to an hour and I’ve already eaten mine and washed up by then. Two hours later my boyfriend has eaten his and then he has a pile of pots and stuff to wash up!! The raw vegan way is much more fun, trust me! 🙂

Kevin, you could also go over to your mum’s house and do demos for her to show her how quick it really is to make vegan food. Once she has a selection of good recipes she knows how to make it will seem much easier.

Thanks for another great show!

16. zUzU says:

Yummers.
    I adore fresh corn too! I always seem to toss it with spinach, tomato and avocado, etc. … with the corn just sorta walking through the salad. I had never thought until now to do use it in such abundance. I am looking forward to making your recipe!

I was really excited to discover your shows today thru RawFu.
    Totally new to me!

Um. You asked,
    “What can I TELL my mom to convince her eating vegan is easy?”

That’s just it. You don’t.

Don’t TELL her. That is the fastest way to turn someone’s mind off to any new idea. Show her by living the example. Introduce her to new vegan things by sharing them, like you are doing now.

Telling people that they should listen to you can make them put up their guard before they even consider giving what you are saying a try. Showing people the benefits and making them curious is much better. Then just be there to help when they do ask questions. Most people have a lot to UN-learn about foods. Especially the older generations. It’s hard enough when you want to do something to change, you don’t need someone pushing at you. You can’t force ideas onto another, and enthusiasm to share can sometimes feel like a shove, even when it’s not meant to be.

And the truth is … Vegan isn’t always easy. Not when it’s 180 degrees from what you grew up eating. Any new idea takes time to get used to. In this case, it’s about health (and ethics) not just ease. So on the days it does take a little more thought to get a meal together (until you get used to the new way of shopping and preparing the foods it will take more time) … it’s worth it. Worth it if you believe in what you are doing. All change takes time. Then it becomes second nature.

The key is believing in the changes you are trying to make.

It would be a lie to say it isn’t an adjustment to go vegan. What vegans DO eat is only part of it. A lot of the adjustment is what you don’t eat. Habits die hard. Don’t worry so much about converting people over to your beliefs until they are ready.

Believe it, mom is watching you and learning.
    (Didn’t you say she told you after tasting raw corn she’d never cook it again?) =^..^=

17. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin,

I sypathize with your mom because since she’s probably been cooking the same way her whole life, even the thought of changing what she’s been doing can be exhausting… it’s learning all the new recipes and techniques that can seem like so much work. I’m sure she can make her own recipes in her sleep.

I think once you have learned and are armed with a few recipes that you can make over and over again, it becomes much easier to eat differently. Tell her to start slowly by learning one or two new recipes a week.. and then watch her collection grow. Like someone above said, if you spend some time with her, demonstrating new recipes that she can eat on a regular basis.. and show her just how fast and easy it can be, you will probably see her do more and more of it. You can spend some quality time together, and down the road, she might just start showing you a few things she’s learned on her own.

And don’t forget to mention some of the benefits to her. I used to have my share of wrinkles around the eyes, but since I started eating mainly fruits and vegetables, you wouldn’t know I ever had them now. That’s enough to keep me motivated.

18. ida margrethe says:

That looks amazing, guys! So easy and delicious.
    Mothers and veganism, well, does your mother know about the recipe toolbox? That will prove to her that its not that tedious to FIND recipies for any occasion. And maybe you should ‘cook’ with your mother more frequently, so that she sees that hey, it takes no time at all! think about it, how long doesnt a roast (eww..) take to cook! ages!!!
    Yeah, my mum isn’t really down with veganism/raw foodism, even though she seems to be going towards vegetarianism after she went to a dietician..

keep up the good work, guys!

19. Sue Rushford says:

I totally made the raw Summer Corn Salad with a cob I got at the farmers market last night – only added avocado – it was so incredibly delicious – I was showing off to everyone at work I could eat corn raw – guess what, they all knew that you could eat corn raw – I’m the only one who never knew – opened up yet another raw door for me – thanks so much.

About mom, I never did get the knack of cooking – the only thing I could really cook was toast – my oven was broken for 10 years & I never knew it – so I was a junk-food vegan for too many years – but thanks to the Renegade Health Show & other educators in the community including the Chicago raw community, I can now make all my meals for the whole day in the morning in no time flat & pack them with me for the rest of the day – no need for re-heating anything – it’s all ready to eat at room temperature or straight from the fridge – and on top of that, I’m no longer 30 pounds overweight (which they technically call obese, huh). All I can say is if I can prepare raw vegan food for myself, then anyone can do it, seriously. I mean, most of the recipies call for “combining” or “blending” – as opposed to sauteeing, frying, boiling, brioling (I never did know the difference between boiling and broiling – & now I never need to know!) where precise temperature and time makes a big difference – you’ll never burn anything in raw cuisine – nothing will ever be over- or under-done. And the diverse new (new to me) edible flora I’ve been exposed to is limitless – not just sprouts & carrots. Etc., etc.

Oh geez, you asked about vegan, not raw, ok, well, to me that’s a whole different ball-game – that’s about your personal ethics, what you can live with – I am not comfortable knowing an animal had to suffer/die for my nourishment – I don’t even believe a dead, drugged, abused animal is nourishing – cheese is puss – but I realize my views are pretty extreme. It’s really not difficult to follow your convictions once you’ve been enlightened. Until then, just experiment – try going vegan just one day a week, and you will build from there once you realize it’s not rocket science or even inconvenient to follow a plant-based diet.

20. Janice says:

Raw comes prepackaged and ready to eat, compliments of NATURE. No preparations necessary.

21. debra says:

Kevin,
    Zuzu is right about trying to change someone’s habits. First, aknowledge your mom’s truth. I’m probably the same age as your mom and if I tried to begin cooking meat again (after 30 plus years), it would take effort, time, and energy to do things I now do on auto pilot. I’d have to learn new receipes, new techniques, new places to shop, where things are in the grocery store etc. We’re talking about habits.

So you’re asking your mom to change a lifestyle not just a technique. The best thing is your example, sharing food with her, sharing your abundant enthusiasm and beautiful relationship with Anne Marie, and most of all -dont’ negate or “dis” the food she prepares and probably prepared for you for most of your life.

My mom and dad are close to 80 and now and slowly, slowly, over the years the red meat is gone, their meals always include beautiful salads and fresh frutits. Sure my dad still eats “Wheaties” for breakfast -but with blueberries and other fruit and now he even uses nut butter on his toast.

When I visit they prepare veggie food and overall eat much healthier than they did 30 years ago. Now that I eat more raw food, I haven’t even brought it up- Instead, I find joy and love in the vegetarian meals my mom (and dad now that he’s retired) cook up for me. Last Thanksgiving, my dad went to the trouble to make a Tofurky from scratch. No way did I mention that I gave up soy two years ago! It was wonderful. Anyway, as a mom too, just know we all do the best we can for our lovely children. She must be bursting with pride for you and all you do!
    deb

22. deb says:

P.S. from deb

Speaking of parents doing the best we know. Imagine my chagrin when I found out that my beautiful vegan daughter, who has never had a drop of animal protein in all of her 27 years, is allergic to soy! Now we’re both mostly raw vegans. Her dad on the other hand, still loves his stir fry. May we all continue to learn and love.

23. Rena says:

I make a similar corn salad and it is one of my favorites – corn, red onion, red bell pepper, cilantro, lime juice. I discovered a new way to cut the corn off the ear. I lay the corn on the cutting board and while holding the knife at a 45 degree angle (or so) slide it down the under-side of the corn (some place between underneath and the side :-}). I hope that makes sense. I got tired of corn flying everywhere when I would hold it vertical and this works much better for me.

24. Rena says:

PS – In your mom’s defense, it can take less time to prepare a cooked meal if you use canned ingredients. If you use everything fresh then yes, it takes less time because you don’t have the cooking time.

I must be the slowest person in the kitchen in the world. I can never make anything in just 2 minutes. Even smoothies. It takes me about 1/2 hour to make a pitcher full for my family in the mornings (from gathering ingredients to the clean-up) ;-}

25. Lorie says:

Great recipe … love the jalepeno in there!