Non Dairy Raw Chocolate Milk – The Renegade Health Show Episode #112

Wednesday Aug 6 | BY |

Get ready to rock…

This recipe for non-dairy raw chocolate milk is awesome. Nothing but great taste and powerpacked with selenium (an antioxidant) and magnesium.

So, yes, chocolate milk can be good for you!

Plus, Annmarie has a confession to make…

Find out what it is now…

Your question of the day: What was your favorite drink as a kid?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and add your comment now!

Non-Dairy Raw Chocolate Milk

1 cup raw Brazil nuts, soaked 2 or more hours
2-3 Tbps of Cacao powder
4 cups water
1/4 cup agave or honey -more to taste
2 tbsp coconut butter (optional -I didn’t add cause we like to keep our fat intake low)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 packets stevia (optional)
pinch of sea salt

Blend water and nuts first on high for about a min, drain in nut bag. Place milk back in blender with remaining ingredients, combined thoroughly and taste for sweetness.

Kevin

PS. For continuing education on health, wellbeing and more, please be sure to check out the Renegade Health Inner Circle… click here!

1. Laura says:

Great video, great recipe – but how much raw cocoa do you add in??

2. Wendi Dee says:

Annmarie, I think your hair cut probably looks great! We’ll never know until you show us, though! How sweet that you donated your hair. I had no idea that Locks of Love charge for the hair–that’s awful. Thanks for letting everyone know about it, and that Pantene does it for free.

My daughter came running over to see your kitty at the end of the video (she is crazy about cats). 😉

Kevin, I am not surprised in the least bit that you loved Hawaiin Punch. It’s such an energetic kid kind of drink. It’s great that you are no longer drinking it, of course. My brother still loves that stuff.

My favorite drink when I was a kid was Tang. I loved to sneak into the kitchen and take a spoon of the crystal stuff and let it dissolve on my tongue. ICK!

Lots of love to both of you,

Wendi
    XOXOXO

3. Dorian Valles says:

Definitely hot chocolate and chocolate milk! Loved this show-(always love your recipe shows). Thanks! Good for you Annemarie-you’ve done something wonderful to help the little girl of which I’m sure she and her family will be forever grateful. I didn’t know about Pantene donating the wigs free of charge to those in need. That’s awesome!

4. Dorian Valles says:

How much raw cacao powder did you use? I didn’t see it in the recipe.

5. Rev Bob says:

I copied the recipe so that I could read it along with Annmarie as she made it.
    YOU FORGOT TO PUT CHOCOLATE IN THE RECIPE !!!
    I did in my copy.

Rev Bob

6. Rev Bob says:

Ovaltine – This goes back to the 30’s

7. Jenny says:

Another great show, thanks to you both!
    I’m still a little confused with the negative press given to cacao in the raw food community!

Totally unrelated, but I would love to know what you feed your cat!
    I have 2 Alaskan Malamutes which enjoy a 95% raw diet of meaty bones and vegies.They have been very healthy but occasionally one gets a rash-I havent worked it out yet.

Maybe another show for you to do in the future?
    Thanks again!

8. linda says:

can you please write the name and address of the place you sent your hair……….i have sent mine
    to locks of love 7 times….i just had mine cut and have not sent it in yet…i had no idea they charged for wigs….
    if you will get that info to me i will wait and send it to your place this time..

i do understand the feeling of having your hair cut…..it takes 2 years for mine to grow the 13 inches they require and the second year is hot!!!
    florida is hot and humid in the summers!!!

9. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Ooops!

2-3 tablespoons of cacao, depending on how late you want to stay up!

10. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Hey Linda,

Here’s where you can go to get more info…

🙂

11. Christina says:

My favorite as a kid was apple juice and then when I got older it was hot apple cider and now I don’t really like either one!! Overdose I guess. Great episode!

I think the cat loves the smell that gets into the backpack from repeated use (sweat perhaps). Our cat did the same with my dad’s cycling backpack. Loved the thing and chewed on it, like yours =)

12. figsandolives says:

will this recipe still work in a “regular” blender? what’s your blender model? vitamix is just too $$$ for me right now.

what do you do with the pulp? i would hate to throw it away.

that was so wonderful of you to donate your hair annmarie.

13. Kat says:

Anne Marie, what a beautiful and sweet spirit you have! 🙂 How awesome that you gave your hair so the little girl could have some! Wow, I had no idea Locks of Love charged for wigs either (thanks so much for sharing that). I’ve donated my hair to them twice – I will use Pantene next time also. I’m also a cancer survivor – what a blessing it is when others give from their heart in your time of weakness. It makes you feel so special and loved, and when you are going through cancer treatment, it just makes it that much easier. Blessings to you, Anne Marie. 🙂

And thank you for the chocolate milk demo – I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE chocolate (cacao) mylk made with nuts and coconut! Brazil nuts are my favorite nut, but I actually have never made this, I’m not sure why…I always use hemp or almond and coconut. I think because I love Brazil nuts so much I just love eating them whole. Anyway, I plan on trying this very soon – YUM!!!

I think my favorite drink as a kid was also chocolate milk, or even just milk. We drank tons of raw milk from a local dairy when I was a kid. I don’t drink it too much now, but when I do it has to be from free range, grass-eating jersey cows at a local dairy – there’s no comparison between that and processed milk from the grocery store. Nut mylk is even better, though.

Thanks, you two. I love your show! And Kevin, I absolutely love your energy (and it’s without caffeine – amazing)!! 🙂

14. Sunnie Fernandes says:

My favorite drink was, hands down, shirley temples.
    I must have been about 5 years old when my parents took me to a restaurant where I ordered one and exclaimed to the waiter how much I loved maraschino cherries. He brought the drink, full with them! Needless to say I ended up yakking.
    Wait, what was the question again??

15. Jessica says:

Hey!
    Yum that sounds so good.
    My question is… what do you do with the raw brazil nut meat afterwards??? Seems like a lot to waste!???

16. sharon ferguson says:

Coincidentally, I have been making chocolate milk almost daily recently, to have in the evening, after dinner – and I am loving it! So refreshing and just a little sweet. I am so enjoying my recipe, I want to share it with you, please try it! (I think the inspiration came from Shazzie’s site – but I don’t have all of her ingredients..)

I use almond milk, which I make with 1 cup of soaked spanish almonds (which are not pasturized – Vitamin Cottage has been selling them cheaper than the California pasturized ones) so the 1 cup of almonds becomes almost 2 cups after soaking overnight, and makes just over a quart of strained delicious milk.
    So when I just make one cup of chocolate milk for myself – in the blender I put 1 cup of the strained milk, 2 icecubes of frozen (young)coconut water that was blended with the meat (kevin I learned about that from your blog I think, and I’ve been loving using it this way! so convenient) 1 Tablespoon of cacao pdr.(I know but I don’t seem to have any problems falling or staying asleep!) 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon spirulina, 1 heaping teaspoon maca powder, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla ext, 1 Tablespoon goji berries and a spoonful of agave. It is so great, my husband even said ‘you can make me some of that anytime!’ If I am really hungry I’ll add a half of a banana.
    I also loved Tang and Cool-Aid when I was younger, and Orange Julius!
    Good for you Annemarie – you are a great role model!

17. valerie says:

You have both such a beautiful soul.
    Many thanks for the yummy recipe and for your show.

18. Anna says:

Annmarie what can I say…you are so beautiful inside and out and an inspiration to us all!

Yummy recipe! I have two questions that I think echo some of the others here:

1. What do you do with your left over nut pulp?

2. What diet do you feed your precious little one? (Johnny Cat 5)

Thanks and once again Great Show!

19. Jonathan Silva says:

My favorite drink as a kid would have to be apple juice. I love that stuff 😀

20. Meri says:

Oh, Anmmarie you did a really good thing. Bless you 🙂 xx

This recipe looks great, this is another one I will inflict on my boyfriend, but I’m sure he’ll love it!

I don’t even wanna talk about the stuff I used to love to drink as a kid. Urg, I liked some really gross stuff…coke, seven up, ribena, hot chocolate, shandy (with tiny amounts of alcohol only), weak tea 🙁 Luckily my parents gave me mostly water and tea, and other stuff as treats only. Now my favourite is coconut water, only I can’t get it fresh in the UK. Gonna have to move to somewhere tropical!!

Your cat is adorable and so is Annmarie with chocolate milk mustache!! 😉

21. jeanette says:

Ann Marie, you are absolutely refreshing. Thanks for the recepie. I will try it this weekend. I can’t pick a favorite, so it has to be two – Delaware Punch and Orange Crush.

22. The Berries says:

I’ve donated twice to LOL -didn’t know about them charging however Pantene is a Proctor & Gamble product and they do animal testing. What to do??

23. Beth Grant says:

I’ve been making chocolate mylk with almonds, but I will have to try it with the brazil nuts.

I’m also curious what you feed your cat? He is adorable and looks so healthy. We have 2 senior cats and they ran to the window when they heard your cat on the episode. I think they were trying to say “hi”.

Ann-Marie: I’m currently growing my hair out to donate via Pantene.com as well. I didn’t realise that some places charge for wigs, so I’m glad to be using Pantene.com. Thanks for mentioning it.

24. Steve says:

For anyone in the UK, you can make great raw milk using the Raw Power Milk Maker. It’s taken over from the Yaoh Milk Maker.

25. Linda says:

my favorite drink was strawberry milkshakes. Do you have a recipe for those? Thanks!

26. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

My favorite drink as a kid was Ovaltine.. I’m dating myself like Rev Bob. 🙂 My grandmother used to make it for me when I’d stay at her house overnight on the odd weekend. When I was practice teaching in Hamilton, as an adult, I stayed with her for a week, and she still made it for me at night. It was definitely one of my comfort foods. She also used to make us tea for breakfast, but it was a special kind of tea for kids.. She would pour us a mug of warm milk and then add a tiny bit of tea to flavour it, and some sugar. We didn’t know any better back then.. but ahhh, that brings back nice memories.

Thank you for the recipe Annmarie.

27. Glen Colello says:

Thanks for the birthday Shout!
    AM love the hair!!!!!!
    Who’s David Wolfe?

28. Guylaine says:

Kevin and Anne-Marie, you rawk in the kitchen!I liked chocolate milk as a kid which was showing up very rarely in our kitchen. It was a treat when we got it.
    I laugh Kevin when you write about the quantity of chocolate and it depends on how late you want to stay up. I just had the experience the other night after eating a couple of raw chocolate balls I made. I couldn’t fall asleep until 3 o’clock in the morning! It happened many times to me after eating chocolate. It also make my heart beats faster. I do not consider it a healthy food. Raw or cooked chocolate is a stimulant. I use it as a treat as I do loooove chocolate.

29. ida margrethe says:

AWWW!! LOOK AT JONNY! hah. love cats. my cats do that too, pretty sure they just like the smell of my sweat. haha gross

my fav drink as a child? Have no idea, have to consult my mum about that i think!
    Tea has been my fav since i was like 12 (im 23 now), so ill say tea for now!

Awesome video! When i can get my hands on a nut-bag ill make this for sure, so far i make it with raw cacao, agave and ricemilk. but i LOVE brazil nuts so it shall be a treat.

30. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

My favorite drink as a kid was Ovaltine. I’m dating myself like Rev Bob.. but my grandmother used to make it for me when I stayed overnight at her house on the odd weekend. Later, when I was in my 30’s and practice teaching in Hamilton, I stayed with her for a week and she still made me Ovaltine before bed. It brings back awesome memories.

31. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

I guess I’m dating myself like Rev Bob.. but my favorite drink as a kid was Ovaltine. 🙂 My grandmother used to make it for me when I stayed overnight at her house on the odd weekend. When I was in my 30’s and practice teaching in Hamilton, I stayed with her again for a week and she still make it for me every night before bed. No matter how unhealthy, some foods still bring back that warm, fuzzy feeling.

32. jenny says:

loved chocolate milk, also!!

does anyone know what raw foods to eat to mend and restore broken bones? i am having wrist surgery monday as i broke my wrist while roller skating!! ever happen to anyone else? just became certified as a personal trainer and hope for full restoration. am assuming i need foods high in calcium and magnesium. also, are there natural pain medications? any suggestions so appreciated.

jenny

33. Sonia says:

I thought that we had to limit our brazil nut intake because too much selenium can be dangerous. Have you ever heard of that or given any thought to this?

I love brazil nuts and I hate having to limit my intake.

34. Sonia says:

Jenny,

One of the best sources for calcium, if not the best, is sesame seed milk. Also, almond milk.

Sesame seeds are LOADED with calcium.

35. Gayle says:

You both are just such sweet people. You put so much effort into these shows. I just love them. I can’t wait to try this recipe out. I usually am able to try your recipes within a day or two. They have all been “Great”. My family thanks you. I am far from being a “good” food prep mom. So, these shows help me out a lot. I look forward to all the food shows!
    Thanks so much!!
    Las Vegas, NV

36. Mona says:

My favorite drink as a child was Kool-Aid. Had to have it every day. There was a canister full of different flavored packets on the counter right next to the sugar canister. I remember when I was about 12 we went to visit my uncle and aunt for a week. They didn’t have Kool-Aid and I was so addicted to it that I got rather cranky. LOL

We have a cat that looks just like yours! He loves to roll around on our shoes. Kind of freaks out any guests we have who leave their shoes at the door.

Thanks!

37. Rawbin says:

Nestle’s Quick was my fave. I always add vanilla to my chocolate mylk. Gives it a richer flavor! Thanks for the hair link. We have a few long locks waiting to be mailed out.