Camille’s Raw Asian Cabbage Salad – The Renegade Health Show #107

Wednesday Jul 30 | BY |

This raw food recipe has been passed down from the ages…

Well… kind of! 🙂

Annmarie’s mom makes this salad, but she adds Ramen noodles.

It’s likely that none of you will be doing that to this recipe.

But regardless, (and Ramen-noodle-less) this recipe is quick, easy and tasty!

Annmarie also gives some knife wielding lessons during this show, so you’ll notice that I’m filming further back than normal.

Your question of the day: What is the worst smoothie you’ve ever made?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and add your most awful concoction now!

Here’s that recipe:

1 Head Chinese Cabbage or Green Cabbage
6 Scallions or more if you like
1/4 cup White Sesame Seeds
1/4 Cup Black Sesame Seeds or
you can add 1/2 cup sliced Almonds

Dressing:
3/4 cup oil (olive or sesame)
6 -7 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
3 Tablespoons Agave or more if you like
1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1 Teaspoon White Pepper

Mix dressing ingredients together then toss in when ready to serve.

Kevin

PS. Be sure to sign up for the call with David Wolfe tomorrow… He’ll be talking about noni, colloidal gold and how you can help him spread the word of superfoods!

Here’s that link:

This call is sponsored by Elements for Life and you can take a look at their unique product line by clicking here!

1. cole says:

The worst smoothie i ever made consisted of:
    asian pear
    brocolli
    carrots
    spring salad mix
    spirulina
    apple
    The asian pear made the texture gross and the brocolli gave it a real bitter taste and I thought the apple would sweeten it more. And by the way what was in your smoothie?

2. Donna says:

Greetings, The recipe was there, but no video.

3. Anna says:

Ok, so the worst smoothie I ever made was a fruit smoothie. It actually wouldn’t have been that bad except I had just bought the product O-Mega-Zen3 (vegan DHA supplement). I didn’t realize this oil was from a marine algae source and tasted like fish. The end result was a Fishy Fruit smoothie…not good.

4. Nisha says:

The worst smoothie I ever made was when I threw in a huge piece of raw ginger and red chard in my spinach and parsley smoothie. The gigantic piece of ginger was what killed it. And it was a smoothie (not a juice) with all of the pulp. I hate wasting organic food, cause its expensive, so sucked it up, plugged my noise and downed it. :-(. My smoothies are much better after much practice, I have learned to keep it simple. LOL.

BTW – Kevin and Ann Marie are so cute, I love watching the show after work because it makes me laugh and relaxes me.

5. han-lin says:

My worst smoothie I made was a blended salad with mixed greens, garlic, water, hemp oil, and I may have added balsamic vinegar and an avocado. The blender I used was about 1 HP.

6. linda says:

i usually make my smoothie the same way every day..
    and some days they are just not good……we drink
    them anyhow but force them down………we have no idea why this happens……..funny thing is today
    was one of those days…………..when i add different things they are usually good but the normal everyday ones are the ones that turn out yucky! is it in the stars?……:)

7. Lola says:

Hahaha, I made a bad smoothie last week. I don’t remember what I put in it that was wrong but it smelled really bad and didn’t taste great either. Oh, I remember ~ JICAMA! I thought it would be good or neutral but it was soooo bad. I choked it down tho, just like Nisha, lol. I was glad my family wasn’t home because they have become willing to try my smoothies every morning!

I usually do banana with greens and I’ve noticed if it sits a little bit it gets kind of a bitter taste. Surprisingly, adding strawberries didn’t taste very strawberry-ish.

Nisha, I overdid it on ginger a few weeks ago too, and haven’t used any since. I’m almost ready to try it again.

God Bless my girlfriend who gave me her mother’s old Vita-Mix!

8. Jenn says:

I don’t have any worst recipes yet, but mainly because I use things I KNOW I will like since hate wasting food. My smoothies are more fruit than veggie, it is something I am still working on.

Kevin, what was in your smoothie that was so horrible this am? You never did say.

9. Laurel says:

A couple years ago at Christmas I felt like I was starting to get a cold, and I was freaking out. So I threw a lot of stuff in my blender that shouldn’t go together broccoli, oranges, blueberries, garlic, ginger, spinach, tumeric, some other stuff I don’t remember. My parent’s didn’t have a juicer, or it might have been better. It was so gross, I didn’t get sick though!!

10. Bill says:

My wife once noticed something long and rubbery in her smoothie….

Turned out she got a bit lazy when putting the greens in the Vita-Mix and forgot to take the rubber band off the bunch first!!!

Bits of rubber all through it!!! 🙂

YUCK!

11. Meri says:

I’m sure I’ve made some awful smoothies but can’t remember what I put in them that made it taste bad.

I did make a really bad juice the other day.It was David wolfe’s recipe for back pain: Lettuce, broccoli and apple, I think. Urg…so bitter, and I usually like bitter but this was awful. I forced it down. I’m sure it did me good but I won’t be bothering to make it again any time soon.

BTW: A miracle happened the other day. I made the Avocado Kale salad from a previous show and my boyfriend said he wanted to taste it. I thought there was no way he’d like something so green and healthy but he actually said he loved it! I nearly passed out 😉
    Bear in mind this is a person that nearly had pop tarts for dinner because he couldn’t be bothered to cook!!! (I made him a salad instead) Poptarts?! Dear God!!

12. Jean says:

I wanted to try carrots in my smoothie so I put in carrots with avacado and greens with apple juice. YUCK!

13. Dorothy says:

One can still have the ‘noodle’ effect. I have a spiral cutter to make my noodles out of zucchini. The zucchini can be long or curlied without the starchy taste. Yummy!!!

14. Alicia says:

Every time I have tried putting hemp seeds into my smoothies they turn out baby poop yellow-brown, with a pudding consistency and a gnarly taste, even the all fruit ones. *Enter green, urp emoticon here* I really wish I could acquire a taste for hemp. 🙁

15. Alicia says:

Question for AnnMarie! Taking Dorothy’s recommendation above, what if you took the zucchini noodles and dehydrated them? Wouldn’t they turn out crunchy and really give the salad that “noodle” effect? I’ve never dehydrated anything, thus why I ask. 🙂 Thanks!

16. uka says:

flue fighting smoothie:

garlic, garlic, garlic, kale, ginger, apple, carrot, lemon juice.

17. Bernadette says:

I find anytime I overdue the greens in a fruit smoothie, it turns out awful. I wish I could acquire a taste for greens, hemp, brown rice protein… anything in my fruit smoothies, but the truth of the matter is.. I like them just the way they are.. pure and simple. I can mix any fruits together and they always turn out great. So.. I don’t waste food anymore. I just have fruit. I feel a lot better for it too.

18. Bernadette says:

PS.. I follow the “nothing but fruit before noon’ philosophy and sip on my fruit smoothie all morning. I find this works great for me. I might snack on 1 or 2 brazil nuts in the meantime too, just to get my daily dose of selenium in.

19. Bernadette says:

PPS.. I get my green powders in by having a chaser of 1TB of green powder in a half cup of freshly squeezed orange juice. 🙂

20. Brian Elliott says:

My friend and I like to try all throwing all sorts of things into our smoothies (basically anything we think would be healthy). We were at a friend’s house who had just made us dinner. They decided we needed dessert so Matt and I immediately went for the blender and began throwing in anything we could find. I don’t remember quite everything but here’s what I remember: Leftover steamed veggies from dinner that I just dumped in (potatoes, cauliflower, squash, and carrots), 1/2 raw potato, about 2 raw yellow squash ( I had to sneak those in), some olive oil, garlic, cayenne, spinach, water, a couple strawberries, and some ice. She didn’t have much fruit. It wasn’t toooo bad at that point, but it needed more liquid. So, I found some goat milk that she said tasted funny when she drank some that morning, but she had never had goat milk before so I didn’t think anything of it. I poured a lot into the smoothie. Everybody thought the smoothie was totally nasty but I could tolerate it…at first. It seemed to get worse the more I drank. I didn’t want to waste it so I kept drinking…until it started coming back up. I couldn’t handle any more of it. It smelled awful and tasted even worse. It had definitely gone rancid. The garlic was pretty strong as well.

21. Benjamin says:

mustard greens + banannas ….GROSSSSS

22. sharon ferguson says:

Alicia, you are probably just using too many hemp seeds in your smoothies…try just 1 tablespoon. I can still taste them but they don’t give that texture you speak of and the protein is great. I think it’s Brendon Brazier’s recipe, he says 1 T. of hemp and 1 T. of flax seed in the am smoothie.

23. Catherine says:

I really don’t like arugula because of its strong flavour. I tried putting it in a smoothie to mellow the tastes out a bit. It still tasted very much like an arugula smoothie. I gotta find a way to eat it since I get it from an organic CSA and hate to let it go bad.

24. Megan says:

I once attempted to make chocolate pudding with unripe avocados – yuck!

I agree with Catherine’s comment about the arugula. I like it in salads but it’s ruined every smoothie i’ve made with it 🙁

The thing i’m using at the moment that saves my smoothies is frozen strawberries – love them!

Thanks also for the simple salad recipe – it looks great and I was wondering what to do with the cabbage in the fridge 🙂

25. Bernadette says:

Hi Catherine,

The way I eat arugula is to add a bit to mixed greens in a salad. As long as I use about 3 parts greens to 1 part arugula, it tastes pretty good in a salad. I usually use an olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano dressing.

Bernadette

26. PEGGY MARTIN says:

Just a thought on that GREEN SMOOTHIE you made that was so bad tasting. Try blending it with a whole banana to improve the taste and even adding some frozen fruit to it as well.
    It is what I do when a green smoothie I was making didn’t turn out well. Bananas improve
    everything! Just something to consider!
    Thank you Kevin and Annmarie,I very much enjoy what you offer here in the way of health. The videos are great too! Blessings to you both!!!

27. Mark Harper says:

I Drink alot of Nasty Smoothies the worst is one quarter Red Cabbage, 6 Cloves of Garlic, one large chunk of Fresh Ginger, and Broccoli,add water for mixing smooth this is really bad but I think its healthy.

28. Connie says:

I made an orange, romaine and red cabbage smoothie once. I wrote in my notebook “not so good.” I have tried putting orange into a couple smoothies since then with similar results, so I’ve concluded that seeds must be making the smoothies bitter. However, I also think red cabbage probably doesn’t belong in a smoothie either.

I also made a bad smoothie with parsley, pear and cucumber. I’ve not dared to use cucumber again…

29. Jacquie says:

Firstly, Annmarie, I just made this salad for dinner and IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂 I used almonds and the sesame seed. I also dumped in quite a bit of hemp for added protein. My “I’m not eating raw” husband took a bite and asked if he could have the whole bowl! Yipppeeeeee! Wednesday is my favorite day of the week…just because of you guys and your cooking shows. Oh! Thanks for the knife tips, too, (I think this was shown in a later show?). Anyway, I could chop with Morimoto on Iron Chef now! ha ha Kevin, sorry no bad smoothies. I use your recipes! 😉