Raw Nori Sushi Rolls – The Renegade Health Show Episode #92

Wednesday Jul 9 | BY |

These are just plain fun to make…

We recently had friends over and made these raw nori sushi rolls and everyone had a blast! The trick to this is not only do they taste awesome, but you can get away with having your guests do half of the prep work. 🙂

Now they’re the ones who are making the raw nori rolls instead of you slaving away in the kitchen!

Go ahead and take a look…

Your question of the day: What do you prefer… fingers or chopsticks?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Raw Nori Sushi Rolls

The recipe is really easy…

All you need is raw nori sheets, avocado and whatever else you like in your roll!

Kevin

PS. If you haven’t registered for Health Book Summaries yet, be sure to get on board now! We’re adding more books as you read this and it’s looking to be a solid and steady tool for health minded people like you… click here to register now (100% FREE)!

1. Anne-Marie says:

definitely fingers lol

keep up those great ideas coming, I really like your show!

2. Debra says:

Thanks for the demonstration on how to roll sushi! What were you guys dipping the rolls in at the end?

Debra
    @rawfoodiegirl

3. Lauren says:

Chopsticks for salads; fingers for everything else!

4. Jan Wolfswinkel says:

Fingers, they were invented first. What did you dip the Sushi in? Love your show, you two are so cute together.

5. Judi says:

Hi Guys,
    Definitely… Fingers!!!
    By the way, did I miss something?… What was the dipping sauce you used?
    Judi

6. Deanna Dean says:

I love sushi so much, I use both! Great show

Missed kitty today–

7. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Ooops!

Nama Shoyu is the dipping sauce!

Didn’t miss anything, we just didn’t tell you… 🙂

(Does have wheat in it for those who are sensitive to gluten!)

An alternative is tamari, but this is not raw.

8. Joyce says:

Fun show! Nice demonstration, Anne Marie.
    I was tickled to see your expertise in rolling and you did such a great job explaining exactly what/how to do it. Thanks.

9. GISELLE says:

well since I don’t know how to use chopsticks it would be fingers.
    Giselle

10. Jos says:

Great demo – fingers of course.

11. Brenda says:

Definitely fingers as I’ve never tried chopsticks. What is nama shoyu????? Great show. Keep ’em coming! 🙂

12. Lisa says:

Thank you, Ann-Marie, for your superb demonstration of rolling. I learned. It was great! Now I get to share some good stuff with you! For the mother of all Nori roll sauces, get “Eating Without Heating” by Sergai and Valya Boutenko. Yes, this is the Boutenko children who wrote this book and I’ve gotten some of the best raw recipes ever from it Their Thai sauce for Nori rolls is out of this world. It’s fresh ginger, garlic, lemon juice and nama shoyu. It’s incredible. Also, they have a “Sunny Pate” they use and now I never fail to use when making my nori rolls. It’s outstanding with the veggies and sauce. For my extra color, I use red and yellow peppers, green onions, zuccini, strips, mushrooms, the sunny pate and raw “rice”. This idea I got from Alicia Cohen of “Living on Live Foods.” She uses cauliflower chopped in the food processor until it looks like rice. Like you said, nothing wrong with real rice, soaked or cooked, just another idea. They’re so yummy. I too have served them several times to guests with great success. Last thing: Jicama is a mexican root vegetable. So just like jalepeno, San Jose, Juan, etc., all are pronounced as if the words are started with an h instead of a j. So it’s a “h”icama so to speak. You don’t pronouce the j. 😉 Thanks to you both for another great show.

13. Christy says:

Chopsticks!
    They are fun!

14. Jenn says:

Great show, and I like the jicama idea instead of rice(actually my biggest issue with sushi was that I never like rice much). I was wondering about the sauce, but my guess was correct. Not a big soy sauce(raw or not) fan because it is to salty for me but my quesiotn is where was the wasabi?? There must be some raw form of this I hope?!!

Finger or chopsticks depends on the mood. If I am just hungry and want to eat then fingers win, when I am feeling creative and want a challenge then chopsticks rule 🙂

15. Bernadette says:

Definitely fingers. I’m not co-ordinated enough to use chopsticks but I would use them if I was on a diet.. the chopstick diet.. where I could eat anything I could get to my mouth with chopsticks. I’d lose weight for sure on that diet. 🙂

16. Annalee says:

Chopsticks, it slows me down and thus helps me enjoy the food and different flavors and know when I’m really finished
    Thanks for making a difference in the world – – –

17. Tracy says:

Kevin and Anne Marie,
    I too love, love, love, raw sushi rolls!!! My only issue is that the nori sheets seem to crunchy and tough and are a little hard to chew up–any suggestions?
    Tracy

18. sharon says:

Also, if you have more than 1 sushi rolling mat, just keep your rolled up nori roll in the mat while you use another mat to roll up your next one. It helps make the shape more firm to let it rest a minute this way. I also use the mats in the summer a lot, over soaking nuts and seeds or anything I have sitting out – to keep any flies that may be about, off.

19. Daniella says:

Hi,

What do I prefer, fingers or chopsticks?

Well I haven’t tried either so I’m prepared to be corrected here, but I would think that fingers would be more nutritious. 😉

20. Meri says:

What a great show…and you guys are so cute together (sorry, I had to say!).
    Annmarie: “We don’t want that carrot to escape.” Lol, you’re so adorable. But seriously, excellent demo…I may actually get this nori rolling technique right now

Hmmm, chopsticks or fingers? Well, I guess that depends what I’m eating. I’m gonna start eating salad with chopsticks from now on to see if it tastes any different than using regular utensils!

21. Laura says:

Ah, I love nori rolls! My daughters make them for me when they are home; one of my favorite fillings is Sunny Pate. I usually put in avocado, tomato, sprouts, lettuce, mustard, and they always fall apart because I put in too much innards. So they have to be eaten with fingers! Very messy, but very delicious. Anne Marie, I’ll try using the bamboo wrapping tool, and try to curb my enthusiasm on the fillings. If you want a “sandwich,” just cut the whole sushi roll in half, or not at all. Yummy!

22. Linda says:

The non sushi looked delicious but what were you dipping it in?

23. Dawn says:

Chopsticks all the way. I’ve never tried nori rolls all the way raw before, but I started out sushi with vegetarian rolls and have been hooked ever since. Now I’m going to have to go get some nori sheets…!

24. marlene says:

As I was eating my lunch I happened to click on this show and guess what? I was eating Nori Rolls. I choose my fingers only because mine turn out so messy ( I don’t have a nori mat). Here’s another suggestion besides rice, try spreading spicy hummus and then put vegies on top. yummy!

25. Jenny says:

I have looked for raw nori sheets in our area but all I can find are the toasted ones. do I need to go online to purchase?? thanks for any suggestions. And I sure do love your show!!! You both are so adorable!!

Jenny

26. mike henderson says:

great video-and food is very appetizing!!!!
    I notice you will be reviewing spiritual nutrition and the reason I bring it up is that
    as with a lot of foods the devil is in the detail.
    the author discuses nori-raw and dry roasted
    nori.(Your nori looked dry roasted please confirm)and vitaminB12 and it’s analogue.
    He also discusses MMA-the gold standard for
    measuring B12.
    The upshot of this is that there is possibility that dry roasted nori could
    worsen a B12 deficiency.I would like to
    acknlowledge that Kevin Gianni has already
    addressed B12 in previous videos but vegans
    especially need to be very aware of their nutrient balance.

27. ida margrethe says:

banana sushi! i would love to see u make that kevin! sounds amazing.
    good show. ill make this for my friends one day im sure, even though they cant get over the ‘hippyness’ of a raw food diet. but they love sushi!
    thanks guys, looks great!

oh yes, question, depends if im eating at home or out i think, if out chopsticks, in case my hands arent completely clean. besides, playing with sticks are fun!

28. Erika says:

I like both to answer your question of the day.

I have a question as well though. Where do you get raw nori, everywhere I went today I could only find toasted or roasted.

29. Janice says:

Made my first sushi rolls yesterday. Loved them. Used a veggie patte’, matchstick veggies, and sprouts. Oh so good!
    Thank you for the rolling technique.

30. lisa says:

I have watched this several times and plan on sending to a group of friends with an invitation to a sushi party. One is vegetarian; I eat lots of raw food, but am a metabolic protein type and don’t do well on a vegetarian or vegan diet; some eat white rice; but all variety of preferences aside – I can have mise en place set up in little bowls and have plenty of fun for everyone!

31. del says:

Chop Sticks are good eye hand coordination. An if I don’t have them readily available I go find a piece of twig from a branch that has fallen and shave it into sticks. Celery sticks also can be biogradable chopsticks as well.

By the way, reuse chop stick for as long as you can. It’s a major source of loss trees world wide. If you can image all those asians using a chop stick one time and tossing it, what an incredible loss of trees. Save the trees and reuse your chopsticks. Of course uring your fingers is an art form in itself and quite civilized as many Indians use there fingers to eat their food.

Thanks Annmarie for your wonderful ideas. I learned so much from this weeks piece. I also have a tip that an Japanese woman who taught me how to make vegetarian sushi and she said if you cut the nori roll in half, then half it again and again you can get perfect sizes. The ends can be place on the plate or eaten are the food preparer reward too.

32. Judith says:

Fingers, but only because I have not yet mastered chop sticks. I discovered Renegade Health just about a month ago and LOVE your shows. I got some bamboo mats today and plan to make my first nori rolls tomorrow night. I am soaking some quinoa to use in place of rice. Annmarie makes it look so easy. My son loves California Rolls, so I am planning to surprise him on his next visit in January.

Thanks so much for such wonderfully entertaining and informative shows.

33. Niki says:

The day I saw this video I went out to my local co-op and bought nori sheets and the (tray?) to make the sushi on! It’s actually a fairly inexpensive dish to make and so much fun! I went over to a friends house to share the food and fun with 🙂 We made ours with: cucumber, carrots, cilantro, tomato, onion, avocado, broccoli stems, red pepper, yellow pepper. The flavor of the nori is a little strong for me so I wanted to create a simple sauce that I could put at the base of the roll to give the sushi an extra pop! I made a simple pesto with tons of basil, garlic and EVOO. All of my friends loved this dish and we all had a ton of fun making it. I’m now planning a get together with a group of us so we can all make our own sushi! Thanks for the recipe and idea!