Raw Kale Avocado Salad – The Renegade Health Show Episode #87

Wednesday Jul 2 | BY |

First off, thanks for all of your posts and support from yesterday’s show…

Also, thanks to those who criticized me as well. Even to the guy who said I’m a health fraud since I got a bacterial infection. 😉

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether I agree or not! Though I will publicly disagree with him…

Last night was tough… I had a massive fever, sweats and didn’t get much sleep at all.

But today is much better and I’m positive that I won’t have those symptoms again. (I have no idea if they were due to the Lyme or the antibiotics!)

Annmarie was ready to do today’s show on her own in case I didn’t feel well, but I feel much better today… so you get both of us!

This raw kale salad was contributed in part by one of our faithful watchers, Bernadette! Thanks, Bernadette for being a true superhero with your comments and support!

This is one of those great meals that you can make and take with you, so go ahead and take a look…

Your question of the day: What can we add to this salad to make it even BETTER?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and post your comment here!

Raw Kale Avocado Salad Recipe

1. Take one bunch of organic kale and separate the leaves from the stems. (Put the stems aside for juicing)
2. Wash the leaves well and cut them into small pieces, first lengthwise, then widthwise.
3. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Massage into the kale with your hands. This softens the leaves.
4. Add 1/2 a ripe avocado and again mix in with your hands.
5. Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon.
6. Add a chopped raw tomato.
7. Add 3 chopped green onions.
8. Add 2-3 tablespoons of raisins or dried cranberries, or goji berries 🙂
9. Mix it all together and serve.

Kevin

1. Anne-Marie says:

I would add some fresh herbs like basil or even cilantro, just to add a little kick to it 🙂

2. Danieal says:

Great Show the salad looks so good! I think that I would add some diced red bell pepper and some shredded carrots or cabbage.

3. Dhrumil says:

Love love love Kale Salad. Big ups Kev

4. Yaffa says:

Yum, that looks delicious! Do you always eat with chopsticks?

5. Lindy says:

Can hardly wait to try this salad! I will add Spring onions, both white and green parts.
    In the Fall I will try pmitting the tomatoes, and adding apple and pear cubes and walnuts.

Kevin and Annmarie…enjoy a great July Fourth weekend!

6. Tammy the Great says:

The salad looks great. The only things I would probably add would be onions, cracked black pepper, and some Braggs liquid aminos.

7. Carol says:

HI! I haven’t tried this salad yet, but I also would perhaps add in some green onions, more sprouts like alfalfa or radish, and some shredded carrots! Sounds yummy ~ will get the fresh veggies when shopping tomorrow for the Fourth! Have a great Fourth of July!!!

8. Beth says:

I’m going to make this for a July 4th picnic!
    I’ll add in some dulse and radishes.

Thanks again- cheers!

9. Janet says:

I suppose I would add whatever else I had on hand that sounded good at the time (that is how indecisive things in our life are right now)!! But anyway, seeing all the ideas, I know the combos are endless!! Yum!!
    And truly this brings up a question that I deal with all the time, and it is about all food combining issues… I know it is a broad topic, but the big thing I have read about and see contradicted all the time is fruit and basically eating it with anything else at all?? Or even within a certain time frame of other food… any opinions on this one??
    Well as always, I Thank You Kevin and Annmarie for what you do and everyone who does post regularly!! And hurray to the new book summary website!!
    I hope you continue to feel better Kevin…
    Blessings to all…

10. tanya says:

Sun dried tomatoes! And maybe some basil.

Thanks for the video! I’ve tried this before but I used curly kale and left the stems in, so it wasn’t very yummy.

I hope you both sleep better tonight!

11. Gail Wright says:

Recipe looks awesome. I would add organic shitake mushrooms and to make it a bit more hearty organic black beans.

IS THERE ANYWAY YOU CAN PROVIDE NUTRITION INFO. ON YOUR RECIPES. ESPECIALLY CALORIES, FAT CONTENT ETC???

THIS WOULD BE SO USEFUL.

So pleased you are better. Hope you are staying Ph balanced since no bugs can generate in your body if you are PH balanced – right?

12. Eva Walker says:

Fresh graded raw ginger sounds good but don’t get carried away with it.About a tablespoon full should do it.Raw ginger is very strong.So is organic garlic.I find that using raw garlic you only need half the amount in the recipe otherwise it gets too hot.

13. Cathy says:

Gr8 salad, I would add garlic and some pumpkin seeds.

Thanx for the great video recipes and hope you are completely well soon.

🙂

14. loulou says:

I LOVE kale salad. I find even hardened carnivores love this. I make it without the berries but always chop a red pepper in there. I add more tomatoes than you (a big handful of grape tomatoes) and often add a few sunflower or pumpkin seeds and occasionally grated carrot or chopped apple. Chopped parsley is also good in there. Any way up, it’s delicious, and you know it’s nutritious because it keeps you full for a very long time!

15. Margaret Wilkinson says:

So glad you are feeling better Kevin.

I like a little garlic in my salads too.

16. Meri says:

Cool, kale salad looks really yummy, I will be making this as soon as I can get hold of some kale. I would also add chickpea sprouts to the recipe because I love them sooooooo much. I can’t sprout them fast enough because they’re so delicious I nearly eat the whole lot as soon as they’re ready!!

Sorry to hear that you had a bad night guys. Kevin I wish you a speedy return to your usual levels of health and vitality. I’ll be sending some love your way to help you get better fast – and to help Annmarie get back to undisturbed sleeping patterns!!

Get that kale salad down you and you’ll be right as rain 😉

17. Dorothy Mac says:

Fraud? Which part of fraud did some of you bloggers did not get? Having an awareness of ones health is part of a bigger picture. At least Kevin is AWARE in the moment of what is affecting his body and giving his audience a detail view into HIS experiences, good or bad. And that I AM GRateTFUL. Now that is, AWESOME!!!

18. Magda says:

Hi there

I make this salad all the time – it’s a favourite of ours.

I add sliced green onions, cucumber and chopped bell peppers too. Dried tart cherries are nice too.

19. Jean says:

Hi friends, I would also add spring onions. I have the same ? as above Kevin could you do a show on food combining? It would be a big help. Like I herd eat melons alone or dont eat them at all and such.
    Thanks Jean

20. Bernadette says:

Thank you for thinking the kale salad was worth a mention and for all the wonderful compliments. I’ve never made this salad with dinosaur kale.. so that’s new for me too and I’m going to try that next time.. Also, I’m very impressed with all the toppings that posters have suggested.. so I’ve learned a lot this episode, myself.. am going to try them all. Variety is the spice of life!!
    Hope you’re feeling better Kevin and you both got a good night’s sleep last night.
    Bernadette

21. Scott says:

I love Kale Salad! Experiment with different veggies and seeds. I enjoy hemp seeds.

22. Jenn says:

Kevin, glad you are feeling better after a restless night. I hope you continue to feel better as you treat the Lyme the best you can(I can’t beleive some of the responses, but outside New England/east coast perhaps it isn’t understood just how serious it is!). AnnMarie I hope you don’t get worn down worrying about Kevin.

The kale salad looks great. I have the basics and might make this for dinner tonight. I tend to like lighter veggies in the summer, so might add some diced yellow squash (for a different idea to the other good toppings) but I also like hemp seeds on my salad lately.

So many recipes say ‘massage’ the greens, I think it’s great AnnMarie actually showed it!

23. Vicki says:

A pinch of ground cayenne pepper, or a few crushed dried red pepper seeds (maybe, 1/8 teaspoon) always adds a bit of heat to our kale salads!

24. Carol Kraft says:

Yumm ! My favorite raw salad and tasty way to get kale into my system. I add olives to the mix too. I throw the black kale into the food processor to break it down into finer pieces (easier for me to chew and digest) I mash up the avocado with lemon and celtic salt then add the kale so the consistency is smoother and quicker for me to make when in a hurry. Also add lemon rind for more zip.
    Thanks for the lymme disease show. Seeing signs of deer ticks in Ontario as well so good info to have on hand. Takes care Kevin and don’t push too hard so healing can happen.
    Blessings
    Carol

25. Irma Nance says:

Yummy

26. Cindi says:

the only thing I like to do different in this is to slice the kale very thinly. i also massage with salt and oil before adding the other ingredients. this makes it more of the consistency of coleslaw. i like spring onions in it as well.

27. Barbara S. from Michigan says:

HI guys! Glad to see you are feeling better. I have made this salad before. I got it off the web some time back. I like to add small bits of chopped sweet potatoes for an added sweet crunch, and sometimes a little purple onion. Yum!

28. how do you sprout the sunflower seeds? You said you soaked them for an hour and then you sprouted them….

29. David Cohen says:

I first learnt about wilting kale leaves from Chad Sarno. I tend to use a whole avocado, leave out the raisins (although I think some soaked ones could really go well), but I do chop the stems and put them in as well as the leaves. When making this, it’s so tactile, you really get to _feel_ the food you’re working with. I know this is a somewhat overused phrase, but this really is an awesome recipe. Enjoy!

30. Lorie says:

I made this last night … I think I need to get a lettuce spinner because I didn’t get all the water out of the kale and the whole salad seemed a bit soggy. Also, I believe that I prefer kale in my smoothie and not in a salad. I will try this recipe again, later, and maybe I will have more of an acquired taste for “grass” … lol 🙂

31. Sometimes I like a dash of cayenne.