Lemon Gingerade for Summer Fun – The Renegade Health Show Episode #67

Wednesday Jun 4 | BY |

This is a million times better than the crystal light lemonade that my mother used to have around the house…

We got this lemonade/gingerade recipe from our local health food store (Organic Connection in Brewster, NY) and ever since, we literally crave it!

It’s refreshing and absolutely takes no time to make. We actually finished this episode in under 6 minutes and for about 3 of them we’re having some fun.

Go ahead and check it out…

Your question of the day: Any more water questions? If no, what’s your favorite summer drink?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and add your comment here!

Lemon Gingerade Recipe:

6 Cups Clean Water
4-5 juiced Lemons to taste
3-4 inch piece of Ginger juiced add more if you are a ginger lover
1/4 cup agave or to taste

Mix serve over ice and enjoy 🙂

If you’re interested in learning more about water from the experts, please go ahead and check out our new series… Renegade Water Secrets. You can read more, by clicking here!

Kevin

1. Bernadette says:

That looks fabulous. I am definitely going to try it. I love hot lemon ginger in the winter. I got the recipe from a local South American restaurant, and for that one, you boil lemons and ginger and then strain the water and add agave. It is great for colds.

My favorite summer drink, so far… is watermelon juice with spinach. The spinach gives it a nice green color. It is:

One cup of watermelon cubes, and
    One cup of organic spinach leaves
    Puree in a blender for a few minutes and voila.

This is a good drink for people who don’t like the taste of greens in their smoothies (of whom I am one) because you really can’t taste the spinach. Yellow watermelons are a little sweeter, so you may prefer them to red, and for those people who don’t like the pulp, you can strain the whole thing and it is still a good source of chlorophyll, very refreshing and alkalizing.

2. Dede says:

Mmmmmmm – – that looks amazing!!! It was 90 degrees in St Louis today with 99% humidity – that would have tasted sooooo good! – Dede

3. Elaine says:

I happen to have some lemons and a chunk of ginger and agave (always a staple) I happen to be going out of town tomorrow now I know what drink I can make for my road trip !!! Thanks !!!!

4. Elaine says:

oh yeah…I have a love/ hate relationship with my green star juicer.

5. Jenn says:

Nice to see you use that juicer, that is what I bought about a year ago(and recently brushed off to use again). I am curious though, I haven’t had much luck with ginger. I’m guessing it needs to be fresh but do you have better luck using it before or after lemons, or do you just throw it in all together? I feel your pain on the toothpaste and citrus, I know exactly what you mean!

Also curious to your thoughts on coconut water

6. Irma Nance says:

Where do I get Avage. What is it?

7. Irma Nance says:

OOPS! Agave (LOL) It’s been a day.

8. rhyzome says:

kevin, you mentioned that you use a 3 tier system, can you describe the three tiers, and what specific products you’re using? thanks.

9. Geri says:

Hi Kevin,
    I have a question for those of us just getting into “healthy living” and have quite a bit of weight to lose (I have 40 lbs to lose). Are there any testimonials on weight loss with your plan that show a tightening up of excess skin on belly, arms,throat, jawline, and thighs after being on this raw life a while?
    Thank you for your response.
    Gerry

10. lisa says:

you guys are so funny.. this drink looks amazing. i always throw both ginger and lemon in my green drink, but haven’t yet had them alone.. great idea! also i have a green star juicer and love it. i just sold my jack lalane to a freind. i suggest you try the champion again.!. thanks for the great ideas..
    lisa

11. sharon says:

Our favorite summer drink is also watermelon juice, my whole family loves it!

The first organic grapes of the season have just returned to Colorado (from California) I can hardly believe it’s been 7 months…I like Victoria Boutenko’s smoothie with fresh grapes, a peeled orange and a few leaves of romaine letttuce, it’s yummy.

12. Laurel says:

Wow, that looked so easy. I can’t wait to try it!

What minerals do you need to absorb your water well. Such as with salt, is a 4th a tsp enough? I have problems with water retention, and sometimes I feel like the water I drink doesn’t stay for very long!

My favorite drink for the summer is a fruit slushie – usually with peach and strawberry, and a little xylitol and stevia 🙂

13. Linda says:

My kid’s and I are very excited to try this first thing in the morning! (it’s 10:30pm. right now) Kevin, I have a question about the agave nectar. How long is the shelve life? I don’t have central air, should I keep it in the refer.on realy hot months? OK, so that was 2 questions 🙂 Thank you for all your show’s! They are truley the best!

14. rose says:

WATER

i have been ozonating my filtered water for extra purification. i drink it 30mins+ after ozonating. i don’t know if any one else is doing this. my ozonater is inexpensive.

what do you think of ozone water?

15. SHER says:

Hi, love your show. I am interested in filtering out flouride out of my water, what are my options? I am real interested in keeping the minerals. Thanks Sherry

16. Bruce says:

1) Could you do more recipes on summer bevergaes that use a combination of juicing with water to make some of our favorite drinks i.e. iced tea, other types of juices like a grapefruit juice….that is combined with water and some kind of sweetner.

2) Speaking of sweetners could you do a week of natural sweetner’s, I would like to know how to use my stevia leaves to make a ‘stevia sweetner syrup’ that I can use as a sweetner for cold and hot beverages, raw uncooking recipes, etc.

Bruce

17. Meri says:

Cool, I will so try that recipe, I love lemons and ginger.I tend to use a lot of lemons in my water, for the alkalizing properties.
    Bernadette’s Watermelon with spinach sounds yummy. And if I can just throw it all in the blender then it means no juicer cleaning – Yay!! Unfortunately it’s very hard to find organic watermelons in greater London 🙁
    I wonder if I can get my boyfriend to drink something that looks green though? Water is enough of a challenge for him!!

Question: How do I encourage someone to drink water that claims never to be thirsty? I’ve tried the informational approach – it will help his skin (acne and dry skin at age 29), it will improve energy levels, help prevent kidney stones etc. I thought that one would do it – Men do NOT want kidney stones, right?!! I’m hesitant to add anything too sugary to make the water taste appealing, because it will only agravate the acne. Any ideas?

Meri

18. Denise says:

Irma, I find organic raw blue agave syrup in my local grocery store in the natural section. It is made by Wholesome Sweeteners, inc.

19. Shandi says:

I also do not like my Green Star Juicer. I have had it over a year and have called customer service and done everything they requested and it still clogs up and takes FOREVER. I do like the Jack Lalane juicer. I am glad I kept it after I bought the green star juicer.

Thanks for the recipe! My favorite summer drink is strawberry with hemp powder and bee pollen and a little almond milk and ice.

Shandi

20. joey says:

Hi Guys: I loved this video because water is near and dear to my heart. I live in Albuquerque and we are in the dubious situation that our water is getting low and the state has taken water from another state. Its one of our most precious resources!!
    I love those ginger lemon drinks. I made some not long ago, and added hibiscus and lavender flowers to my juice and the colour was so beautiful. We have a champion juicer, I can’t lift it, so my hubby got an Acme juicer…I wanted a Jack Lalanne but he paid for it, so I lost out. We got the Acme for $35. on Ebay. I knew Jack’s juicer was better. Anyway, loved your video as alway, keep up the great work
    Joey 🙂

21. Bernadette says:

I don’t have a Jack LaLanne or Green Star juicer, but I love my juicer. It’s a Waring Pro and I got it for $29 at Xscargo. It has a stainless steel collecting cup that I use for more than juicing. It also has removable parts that I put in the dishwasher, so clean up is really easy. It does a great job on everything but leaves and those I do in the blender.

My favorite juice recipe is mango-carrot…
    Juice one mango and a handful of baby carrots. It’s really good and another great summer refresher.

Bernadette:)

22. krissy says:

A good, refreshing sumer drink that isn’t sweet is celery juice. My boyfriend loves it. I like it, but also like a good sweet juice too. I like carrot-beet-apple-ginger, and apple-kale, or apple-parsley.

anyone out there tried kombucha? I just got my mushroom in the mail!

I’m hoping to drink that all summer! its a fermented drink, tastes like a cider, a little bubbly, and 0.5% alc. People have credited it to longevity and healing properties, so I want to try it out!

anyways I’m so excited to have found this site!

23. Loretta says:

You two are so cute! I just throw the lemons and the ginger in my vita mix with some ice or/and maybe some sparkling water – great and refreshing….

24. Alicia says:

OMG that looks so yummy and refreshing! I can’t wait to try it!

Kevin, after we find an appopriate water filter, what about the containers to transport and store the water in? I’m using glass only right now and its a royal pain.

What do you think of Sigg water bottles? I know they’re made from aluminum but the liner is supposed prevent it from passing through. Do you have any idea what the liner is made of and if the bottles are actually safe?

Thanks!
    Alicia

25. ida margrethe says:

thats yummy! its winter here, but im still gonna make it!

i have a question,
    what kinda bottle is good for storing water when ur on a go?
    ive heard glass is the most reliable, but thats very unhandy when ur go places..
    i normally just filter my water, the water hangs out in the filterer, and i drink the water during that day.

thanks guys!

26. terri says:

hi-
    i, too, have juicer woes…
    i have a champion in the basement which doesn’t do greens… tried it once with watermelon and the juice poured out everywhere. i guess the blender would be a better bet for that…

i borrowed a greenstar from a friend several times and thought it was a real pain to use, and i didn’t want to invest the money.

that said, i really want to start juicing again,so my question is: will the jack lalanne do leaves, too?
    thanks,
    terri

27. Heike says:

Hi Kevin;
    After your enthusiastic endorsement of the Jack LaLanne juicer I went to his site to get the details on it.
    I currently use a Breville juicer b/c it was recommended by a site when I first went raw …I find that it doesn’t juice leafy greens well and the stainless steel filter basket is a major pain to clean (comes with its own special brush, but the strainer part is always clogging up).
    It looks as though the Jack LaLanne also uses a spinning filter basket of stainless steel …would you mind telling me – 1) does it juice leafy greens 2) how do you clean the filter basket — do you use a dishwasher?

thanks … I learn so much great stuff from your show and you two are fun to watch in the kitchen.
    Heike

28. Bernadette says:

Hi Heike,

Just thought I’d let you know how I clean my stainless steel filter basket. I use a scrubby on the outside under a stream of water to get the major stuff off.. doesn’t take too long, and then put it in the top tray of my dishwasher. The dishwasher does an amazing job of cleaning all the nitty gritty stuff out.

Bernadette

29. Jos says:

Delicious! I made it with my Champion juicer and it is going to be one of my favorite drink of the summer – and here in hot Arizona we need cooling drinks like this. Thanks

30. Cynthia says:

I love watching all your shows, especially your raw food shows! Thank you for teaching people how to be raw, it has been a great help for me.
    How much do you want for your juicer?? How old is it? Why do you want to sell it? I really was thinking about buying a greenstar, but it is a big investment for me right now.
    Please let me know if you are serious. Thanks
    Cynthia

31. Judy RItsema says:

Hi,
    I have a quick question and or comment about juicers. Does anyone know if the Jack Lalanne juicer is a masticating one? For anyone who isn’t sure what that means, it’s the part that actually pulverizes or juices the food. If it turns too quickly or inappropriately, it actually destroys the enzymes and nutrients in the food because it heats up too much during the actual juicing.
    I have been researching this at length, which is why I chose an Omega Juicer.
    Any comments on the Lalanne juicer?
    Being a Health Coach, I like to help my clients out by finding good quality economical sources for health products.
    Thanks
    Judy

32. Julia says:

Dude! you don’t like your Champion juicer???
    I have been wanting one! But I just spent a ton of money on a VitaMix (Yay!), so I’m thinking that I probably don’t need a Champion after all.

I love your energy!

33. Lauren says:

Back in the day I had a Juiceman Jr…loved that thing, sold it because I had NO money…then just recently I was given a new juicer as a gift…and the person who gave it to me had no idea that I had even previously owned that kind of juicer…and happened to choose that kind to give me. Trouble is it’s got a US plug and I need to buy it a voltage converter of some kind before I can use it over here…but it’s awesome, kind of like getting my juicer back…lol…same make, model, everything.

Anyways, once I go buy that voltage converter thingy it will be some sort of juice that’s high in ginger, because I’m one of those strange ginger-eating freaks.

I once ordered carrot and ginger juice at a juice bar, with extra ginger…I had to make them add even MORE ginger so that it would be gingery enough…I got a few really strange looks; apparently they’d already put in double the ginger they normally do for that drink.

I have a question about the recipe, though–are you putting those lemons in with the rind as well? Because the pith that you mentioned leaving on is great to include, but I once jammed up a juicer at the restaurant I used to work by juicing an orange with the rinds still on it at the request of a customer…yikes!

34. janell says:

Just wanted to say thanks for the reminder- I used to make this juice a long time ago and just made it and enjoyed a nice 10 ounces. It is a refreshing way to deal with the 95 degree heat and 99% humidity here. I also have the same juicer and I like it waaaaaay better than the previous one I owned. I have been cleansing with the MC and herbal teas last week. This week, I think I’ll drink this ginger lemonade while I cleanse.

35. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

OK! Bunch of questions here… I apologize for not getting to them all sooner. I’m going to address them during the June 10th show! Rapid fire style!

36. Marlyn says:

Do you have an opinion on the Kangan water machine?
    Marlyn

37. Elizabeth says:

I love a juice made with a beet (greens and all), a carrot and an apple. sometimes I add cinnamon.

38. Ryan says:

Do you have to use ginger in the lemonade ?

Thanks