Amazing Raw Basil Pesto Sauce – The Renegade Health Show Episode #52

Wednesday May 14 | BY |

In the kitchen today, we have…

An amazing raw basil pesto sauce!

It’s a great raw food recipe for appetizers (to stuff into mushrooms) or to put over julienned vegetables. It’s fresh and 100% full of garlic!

Check it out… (plus we answer the “why do you have a microwave in the kitchen” question I’ve gotten from a few of you…)

Your question on the day: If you were on a desert island, what appliance would you want to bring? (and yes, there would mysteriously be a power outlet on this island so you could use the appliance if it required electricity!)

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and leave a comment now!

I’d bring the Vitamix…

Annmarie would bring the food processor.

BTW: Here’s the recipe from Jordan Maerin and “Raw Foods for Busy People”

Raw Basil Pesto Sauce

1/3 Cup Organic Pine Nuts (Soaked 20 min)
2-3 Cloves Organic Garlic
1/2 Cup Parsley
1/2 Cup Basil
1-3 Tbsp of Olive Oil (I like more than less)
Sea Salt to taste…

Put put the pine nuts and the garlic in the food processor, then add everything else! Pulse then it’s ready to go!

Stuff mushrooms, put it on julienned vegetables, anything you like.

The mushroom, btw, were soaked in olive oil, sea salt and garlic. You can dehydrate them if you want to heat them up a bit for guests!

Kevin

PS. If you want to get in on the introductory free 30 day trial of the Renegade Roundtable Inner Circle, here’s where you can go… Think of it like a place where you can access some of the top experts in raw food an beyond and get your questions answered so you can achieve superhero levels of health… not too shabby 😉 Click here to find out more…

1. Karri says:

My favorite by far: THE VITA-MIX !!
    I use it multiple times every day.

2. Trisha says:

I’m with you, Annmarie. I am also guilty of choosing food processor over vitamix….with varying results. It’s easier to get the food out of the processor…and not waste a yummy drop!

3. Wendi Dee says:

I don’t like mushrooms, but I LOVE basil pesto–so, maybe I’d eat those stuffed mushrooms just to taste the pesto!

I can’t live without my VitaMix! I’ve had mine for over ten years and it’s the best investment I’ve ever made!

Lots of love to both of you!

Wendi Dee
    XOXOXO

4. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Hey Wendi Dee! Closer to the move? The mushrooms basically tasted like salty-garlic-oil (which tastes MUCH better than it sounds!) so may be worth a shot 😉

Trisha, you’re right about getting everything out of the Vitamix… sometimes a massive challenge. 🙂

5. Elaine says:

I’m with you too Kevin,My vita-mix is the bomb !!!! I also must say my food processor sits side by side with it and they both get used daily.I have had both for YEARS the VM still feels like a toy and the FP feels like an old friend.

6. Jennifer says:

Looks delicious! Thanks for another great idea and a simple one this time.

I don’t yet own a Vitamix, although it’s on the top of my want list. I use a suprisingly strong Oster blender that has been serving me well.

The one appliance I’d take is my Magic Bullet. It is great for 1-2 people and really powerful. It makes smoothies, dressings, pates, pestos and so much more in just a few minutes.

7. Dede says:

Hi Annmarie and Kevin,

I would take my handy dandy vegi cutter.

I found it at an import shop in Seattle.
    You put the vegis in the top, rotate the handle – and the vegis come out the other end – sliced/diced/shaved/grated depending on the removable cutter you chose to install. AND – depending on the vegi – – it can be an aerobic exercise too ;-).
    Best of all – I haven’t scraped my knuckles on a grater (OUCH) since I brought it home :-).

Video was great!! Dede

8. Steve says:

My Favorite is my BlendTec blender.

9. Biz says:

MOST AWESOME! Thanks for sharing that recipe! Did I miss where you can get that tool that juliennes? OMG! How cools is that? REALLY! If I had that, that would be the one thing I would take, OMG! If I didn’t have that, then it would be my blender.

10. Gayle says:

If I were on a deserted Island with only one power outlet it would have to be my VitaMixer.
    I have TMJ and went for many years unable to eat “regular” foods because I could not chew. Without the VitaMix I can truthfully say that I would not be here now. My husband bought it for me immediately after the accident that caused my TMJ. At the time we didn’t know what was wrong – went for years with no one being able to tell me what was wrong! I went for over 5 years having to blend everything I consumed in the VitaMix. My VitaMix and I have a relationship – I’ll give up my husband before I’ll give up my VitaMix. Though it will never come to that – he realizes this is true. The VitaMix has been in the family for over 15 years now. Gosh, it is coming up on it’s 16th birthday soon, and still going strong.

11. Nicole says:

Hi – I’m new to your site and shows, but loving them! 🙂 This recipe looks yummy…anxious to try it.
    I’m moving towards a raw diet and have been drinking green smoothies for a couple months now. I purchased the blendtec over the vita-mix. I LOVE it!! A great investment! My life has already changed for the better in so many ways. Thanks for your inspiration! (and energy!) 🙂

12. Jean says:

Hey kevin is it possible to make the recipes printable. When I tried to print I printed the whole page not just the recipe UGH!! I know you are busy but if you get time coule you look into it? Thanks for what you do I love pesto.

13. Lauren says:

A matori. Then I can chop anything I want. I guess that’s not an electrical appliance….but that’s what I’d want.

14. Lauren says:

Jean: Highlight the text. Press CTRL + C (or APPLE + C if you’ve a Mac like I do…) Go to Notepad or Textedit, respectively. CTRL + V (APPLE + V) to paste. Print the text file. Problem solved.

15. Alicia says:

So I’m sitting here with people around me, earphones on, trying to be very quiet until I bust out laughing when AnnMarie drops the mushroom!

Both the mushrooms and the veggies looked sooooooooooo scruptious with the pesto on them! I don’t even like mushrooms but I’m going to give it a try!

What would I do without my trusty blender to make my crazy smoothie concotions? *Shudder* 😛

16. Margo says:

I absolutely love your daily videos–I hope you never stop them! I love the entire website! Don’t ever “clean house” and delete any of it. I’m often too busy to get to the site on a regular basis and when I do I appreciate that I can go back and play catch-up with all the goodies I’ve missed! Thank you so much 🙂

17. Lauren says:

I loved your pesto video! I gain so much more from watching a live demo plus written recipe that just the recipe alone – must be individual techniques and comments. Thanks!

I use my vitamix more than the food processor, probably out of habit.

18. kelly says:

I have to agree with Ann Marie maybe because I don’t yet have a Vitamix 🙂 But I love the slicer gadget and may hae to go get one of those today… I cut a lot of stuff up with my food processor but it would be quicker and easier with your handy tool 🙂

19. ida margrethe says:

i have that book! good book, im pretty busy.. hah
    wow, pesto i soo good, i actually got a parcel from my x’s mum yesterday, she sent me homemade pesto w ingredients from her garden. yum! cant wait! might try it with all the stuff u guys showed me.
    for the question – i would defently bring a blender of some sort. theyre so versitile!

i have a question for you Kevin: what do u think of those raw ppl that say you should only eat one kind of food at a time? like, just bananas for one meal, or leafy greens w some olive oil, sprouts and seeds for a meal?
    that didnt come out very clear at all..

keep up the good work guys!

20. Jeanne says:

Hi Kev and AnnMarie,
    You guys are great! My mom would have freaked if she’d seen the mushroom that hit the floor and then go on the plate… She has little idea of what they do to her food before the drive-thru guy hands it to her!

Any way, I too love my VitaMix :0) But my Champion juicer comes in at a close second, not for juice, but for ‘ice-cream.’ ‘Specially in the summer; I just stuff solidly frozen fruit in the chute and use the blank screen, volah, out comes the most wonderful sorbet, soft serve, whatever you want to call it… My grandkids have been duped into believing it is ice-cream! I serve it to them on regular cones. They come back for seconds and thirds, until the cone is mushy and disgusting (and throw it out!). How cool is that! Mango and banana are favorites, but blueberry, strawberry, and pineapple are all vieing for that position.

Jean from above, if you highlight the recipe, then right click to copy; go down to the tool bar at the bottom and bring your Email box, open a new doc., then paste the recipe with another right click. That way you can add more to the page before you print it. You can also save it in your drafts file until you want to print it. Or you can send it to yourself or another person. I’m so glad I finally figured out how to do that.

As long as I’m here… Thanx Bob and Vic for your answers on the Coriolis effect! Did you guys just know, or did you look it up? I appreciate your knowledge and “putting the cookies on the bottom shelf.”

Jeanne SDR

21. Bernadette says:

Jeanne.. it’s nice to know other people send themselves emails too. I thought I was the only one. LoL. 🙂

22. lisa says:

wow, this worked out perfect. i have basil sitting in the fridge with no ideas on what to make with it. thanks i’ve thought about making pesto, but didn’t know what to put it on. this recipe looks amazing. and for the island appliance i would probably agree w/ the vita-mix. it can do everything!
    thanks

23. Irina says:

The Vitamix is my favorite by far!

24. Donna says:

A beginning question was about reducing scar tissue and I did not see any answer. It was in the organic/conventional video, I believe.
    Help; I have the same question.

25. Marlene says:

That looks so good! I just made some last week and put it on dehydrated crackers. It was delicious! I opt for taking my BlendTech.

26. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Thanks for answering the “tech” questions guys! I send a massive amount of emails to myself, so neither of you are alone!

I see two questions specifically here… one… scar tissue. That one was not a question, but from my friend who wrote an ebook on healing scar tissue! Donna, you can check that out here:

The second is about food combining. There is much anecdotal information about this. I go with intuition on this. I know that if I eat fat and sugar, I feel awful. So that’s my main food combining rule… no fatty, sugary stuff (unless I can’t resist a raw desert).

My advice to you is try things and see how you feel. Your body will reject that which is doesn’t like… if you’re in tune with it!

27. Gin says:

I love my Cuisinart food processor. I’ve had it sooo long, when i called in to order a new blade, the operator said it was older than she was! (She was 23 years old!)

28. Charissa says:

Vita-MIX!!!! I love that thing!

29. Doris says:

By far my most used gadget is my vidalia onion chopper. I chop most vegetables (including leafy) with it Everything comes out as a small diced cube and we make some awesome salad combinations or garnishes.

30. Eva says:

VITAMIX, my 20 year old and l6 year old have started using it also, we have to stand in line now. Eva

31. Ana says:

Thanks so much for this delicious recipe Kevin+ Anne Marie.

I cannot really say which utensil is my best, as I am still gearing up with them. I don’t own a food processor yet, but I have used my Vita-mix a lot since I bought it.

Ana.x

32. Hi Kev and AM
    I am just cruising through old episodes and saw this one. It must be when I joined RHS as I went out and purchased the julienne peeler. Haven’t used it, but now I will pull it out and try this yummy pesto. I was looking for a recipe that didn’t use too much basil (it is winter now and basil is EXPENSIVE).
    Congratulations on your 2nd anniversary of RHS.