Raw Burritos and Mole Sauce for Cinco de Mayo – The Renegade Health Show Episode #42

Wednesday Apr 30 | BY |

We got excited for this raw food prep…

Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner and instead of slugging down Coronas with lime, maybe this raw food dish will get you hyped up for Mexico’s Independence Day! (Linda S., this one’s for you 😉 )

I can’t tell you anything more than that, besides the fact that these raw burritos and mole (pronounced mo-lay) sauce are absolutely amazing.

Watch for a surprise introduction 😉 …

Your question of the day: What ethnic dish should we prepare next? (Keep in mind we’ll do it in full costume!)

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page to add your comment now!

Here are the recipes:

Raw Mole Sauce

(Adapted from Tofu666… great vegan dishes, plus raw food recipes on Wednesday! Click here to visit the site!)

2 Tbs. Raw Cacao Nibs
1 Tbs. Pumpkin Seeds
1 Tbs. Ground Flax Seed
1 Tsp. Oregano
1 Tsp. Cumin
1 Handful of Fresh Cilantro
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Jalapeño
1 Tsp. Agave Nectar
1 Pinch of Sea Salt

Grind all the dry ingredients in a coffee grinder, then add the peppers and agave and puree in the Vitamix.

Raw Walnut Meat

3 Cups Walnuts (Soak for 1 hour)
1 Tsp. Cumin
1 Tsp. Coriander
1/3 Cup Nama Shoyu

Put ingredients in the food processor for a minute or so.

Raw Salsa

1 Small Organic Red Onion
1 Quart Organic Cherry Tomatoes
1 Small Organic Green Pepper
1 Handful of Cilantro
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Cumin
1 Lime (Juiced)
Cayenne to Taste
Sea Salt to Taste

Put in Food Processor and pulse 10-15 times.

Mexican Rice

1 Cup Rice
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Cumin
1 Lime (Juiced)
Cayenne to Taste
Sea Salt to Taste

Put the rice in a food processor before you soak it and pulse 10-15 times to break it up. Soak for 2 days or until soft to taste. Make sure you wash frequently.

Finally… the Raw Burrito

Collard Greens
Lettuce
Cilantro
Shaved Carrots
Avocado
(And anything else you want inside!)

Blanch the collards, and cut up the lettuce, cilantro and avocado. Fill ’em up with all the good stuff above and drizzle some mole sauce on top!

Kevin

PS. For those of you who need some help with the raw food diet, be sure to click here.

1. Laurel says:

Defiantly Italian

2. Wendi Dee says:

Great, fun show!

I want to see you both dressed in Indian clothing (a sari for Annmarie and kurta pajama for Kevin!) making some awesome Indian food, please! 😉

You two are so cute together.

Thanks for the fun video!

Lots of love to you both,

Wendi
    XOXOXO

3. Amazingly entertaining and great recipes to boot! You two are so much fun to watch! BTW, I agree with Kevin about your braids Annmarie. Very cute look!

Well, you already took care of my favorite ethnic fare, so next I’d love to see you tackle an Indian meal. Not to mention how much I’m looking forward to seeing those costumes.

Thanks for making me smile tonight!

4. Liz says:

You guys ROCK!!! Thoroughly enjoyed that show in addition to all the preceding ones!

I would also vote for Italian as the next show!

Also, what do you snack on during a typical day? I find that I miss some “dry” foods, like pretzels!

Peace out!
    xoxo
    Liz

5. tofu666 says:

yes, use the vita-mix — no one wants lumpy mole 😉

6. Ildiko says:

Wow, what a great show! Loved the introduction and the hats.
    And like Wendi, I would love, love to see you guys uncook Indian. That is the hardest thing for me to give up still.
    I also wanted to give you a shout regarding your post on Twitter regarding the editing. (I am still learning how to use that site to actually send messages to people.)
    I am a SAHM and a health “nut”, I research and read about health and raw food daily. Part of that is of course watching your show.
    So, I would be really interested in finding out more about this.
    You can email me at: ————-@yahoo.ca
    Thanks in advance and thanks a lot for all your hard work for making these shows so amazing and motivating.

7. Michelle says:

Love the show. The burrito looks good but the singing is the best! If we’re voting for food then I say Italian but if we are voting for costumes then I have to agree that Indian would be too fun.

8. Mammaren says:

Love it..

I would also vote Italian as that is one of my favorite foods.. Or Asian (Japanese or Chinese)

Can you explain blanching? also what kind of rice do you use to soak. I thought you had to use wild rice and sprout it before eating it.. I have had no luck with rice so far..

Thanks as always for your amazing energy!

9. Dave says:

Are you drunk in this video? Too many magic mushrooms?

10. Dave says:

Just kidding about being drunk. Great food. i think a lot of people, including myself, are helped greatly by seeing raw food preparation that real people actually prepare and eat. Don’t underestimate the value of these episodes. It is one of the biggest hurdles to converting to raw food. For myself, i ate roast beef and potatoes (and its 100 varients) or fried eggs or pasta all my life (and of course fast food). I had no idea how to make raw food or to use spices other than salt and pepper. I never had a food processor or a vitamix for preparing food (the blender was for milkshakes). It took me quite a while to learn how to make raw food other than a salad or just veggie sticks!
    I also wanted to let you know that the Greens For Life book by Victoria Boutenko is excellent and has great smoothies that help get more raw greens into your diet that are essential to great health.

Thanks for doing what you do.
    Dave

11. Esther says:

I’d love to see you do some Thai food. And I can’t wait for the Indian food, too.

12. Lindy says:

Awesome show! You both are so entertaining; and look absolutely adorable.

Now, questions. I’m new to raw foods. Is the rice you used organic brown rice or? Soaked in what temperature water? I’ve never had uncooked rice (un-steamed), but I’m game to try. The burrito sounds and looks delish!

Okay, Mexican and Italian are my favs…so I’m anxious to see you do an Italian dish.
    More Mexican, anytime.

Yes, Annmarie, the braids are a great look for you, as is the sombrero.

Thanks to you both for another great show.

Lindy

13. Denise says:

Hi guys, love the hats!
    Lets try some Italian food next!

14. Bernadette says:

Great show and I can’t wait to try the recipe. I’d love to learn how to make a good Italian raw lasagna or Chinese fried rice. Indian and Thai are great ideas too.

15. Sandy Joseph says:

Please do a show on Italian food with zuchinni and yellow squash raw pasta. I bought the spiralizer machine and have no idea how to use it!
    You two are so cute!

16. Suz Stapler says:

How about dressing as an Israeli or other middle Easterner and making an Israeli or Fatouche (sp) Salad with falafel balls.

17. Anita Robles says:

Can’t wait to try and I’m Hispanic! Indian with music of course to use the beneficial curry spices and tumeric. Future espisodes-Italian squash pasta or lasagna, Middle Eastern hummus with parnsips and falafel sounds good and last Thai. Appreciate all your videos and health tips. Like your white Le Crueset pot as others have complimented. It’s good when you need a non-metallic pot to make your own natural bath and beauty products that recipes call for.

18. matt says:

Thanks SOOOO much for the recipe as I love mexican food. To be honest though I think I just like spicy food so how about a Thai recipe or a chili recipe? Also, how about a good comforting soup?

The show keeps getting better!

19. chai says:

Muchas gracias!You guys brighten up my day!
    Would LOVE to find a delicious raw INDIAN recipe . . . oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anne Marie is adorable in a sombrero.
    Thanks for all you do!

20. kali says:

Mama Mia..yes, Italians need Italian food!
    the costume for Annemarie has to be the apron and hair in a bun
    ….that was MY grandma, anyway : D
    and for Kevin .all I can think of is a gold chain “necklace”..heh ..

I’m wondering if that soaked rice could be made into gnocci??
    wow..that would be amazing if it could actually taste “familiar”..
    and a bit of low-heating of the tomato/basil sauce…sometimes
    you just need a bit a familiarity..or I should say– I need! : D

You guys look like you have so much fun and so gorgeous and glowing! …what a cool way to
    live life! : )

Gratzie!
    kali

21. Joey says:

I think you guys should do a raw Jewish theme next. Now that should be a challenge. I would love to see what tasty treats Ann Marie comes up with for this.
    Joey 🙂

22. Jeanne says:

Hola!
    Bien,bien,gracias!
    I’ve only ever used chile ancho peppers to make mole. I’ll have to try this one. :0)

You guys were adorable in that video. One more vote for the braids. But with your gorgeous hair, is there a wrong way to wear it?

Have you ever soaked corn meal? (dehydrated corn that’s been crushed- in case that’s different than comercially made stuff) It is incredible! Something to think about if you go for the Italian next time.

I also wanted to know what you think of putting wheat berries in a thermos- glass lined, of course, overnight with water heated to just below boiling. I didn’t think it was really “raw.” But after their long night in hot water, the little guys could still be sprouted! So I guess I didn’t kill ’em. And on a cold Wisconsin morning, they are a welcome treat with some fruit and nuts… Chases the chill from your bones.

Hey, one other thing. Could you tell me which episode was it that people asked about combining raw and cooked and the benefits or losses that created? Thanx. I appreciate it.

Jeanne SDR
    (Suarez Del Real– for today’s content, it’s poignant.)

23. Jeanne says:

Oops- commercially, not a rock band!

24. ERNESTO says:

WE HAVE HERE A LOT OF INMIGRANT PEOPLE FROM CHINA AND THE FACT THAT SURPRISE ME IS THERE ARE NOT FAT PEOPLE AMONG THEM, THEN I’D LIKE TO SEE ETHNIC CHINESE FOOD AND ITS NUTRITIONAL VALUE, THANKS!!!! YOU SHOULD LOOK GREAT IN CHINESE COSTUMES!!!! BYE!! HASTA LA VISTA!!!

25. Alicia says:

That’s hysterical! Good job!! My ancestors would be disappointed in me but I’ve never liked mole. 😉 Those burritos do look yummy though. Thanks for sharing and for literally making me LOL. 🙂

26. Kat says:

Hey guys great show, i love costumes & the way they make people kind of let go & laugh. And yes the braids are very cute ^-^.

I’d love to see some middle eastern food tackled next (Lebanese specifically) or Thai.

27. Louise K says:

Great video guys. Thanks for showing us how to prepare raw foods. I’d like to see some food made with an American Indian flare or Japanese or any Asian goodies Love your web site

28. Aprilsun says:

Hi Guys,
    Loved the video. How about Chinese?
    Anyway, I made this recipe tonight and it came out pretty good. I purposely cut back on ingredients as I did not want to make too much. I think I added too much Nama Shoyu because it was a bit salty tasting. Otherwise, I absolutely loved it!!
    Judi

29. janell says:

I just wanted to say that I LOVE your energy..you two are great. I would like to see you do a thai/chinese theme..I’ve been craving some old S.A.D. foods like veggie fried rice. August 1st of this year will mark my 2nd year on my raw vegan journey. I first found out about you when doing a search for “at home” exercises and I stumbled across your good morning energizers..Everything you do is full of energy and your passion comes through-Yay!
    Take Care!

30. janell says:

I just thought of something else… I’d like to see you do something with the rice. I haven’t tried raw rice yet. I thought it would be too hard to chew and to hard for me to digest. I’d like to see a variety of ideas presented that are rice-based.

31. Sara says:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for posting the recipe. A couple questions regarding ingredients:

1. Have you prepared the Mole Sauce ever with Carob Powder instead of cacao nibs?

2. What could be a good substitution for the Nama Shoyu that is free of gluten and MSG – which Bragg Liquid Aminos has?

3. If one wants to have a truly raw rice- I suggest Jicama ground up and if needed mixed with a little pine nuts- delicious!!

32. Candy says:

What can I substitute for the Nama Shoyu?

Thanks!

33. Lisa says:

Kevin,

Your energy, motivation, inspiration, desire to help – everything about what you’re doing is such a blessing. Thank you so much. I need help though. I was 260 lbs., went vegan and 85% raw, lost 90 lbs, then went on a 100 day juice feast, lost another 40 and then went 100% raw. However, I’m slowly gaining weight and it’s killing me! I’m doing everything right (I think) and I’ve gained 25lbs since Sept. when I stopped the juice feast. Nuts, avocados, bananas, and coconut oil seem to really do me in. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong! Can it just be too much fruit? I watch all the other raw foodist eating tons of nuts and avocados and they’re fine and I’m heavier every time I step on the scale!

34. Anne-Marie says:

I would like to see north african food, a replacement for those shawarma or shich taouk sandwiches.. I’m addicted to those hehe

maybe also a raw version of the couscous?

thanks a lot, those burritos are very tasty, better than the ones I have eat in Mexico DF lol

35. elena says:

Hi Kevin and Ann Marie! I really liked your Mexican show. I’ll try doing that raw burrito recipe.
    How about a theme from the Philippines? I hope to see you in our national costume and make a good recipe. Our food is influenced by a fusion of different cuisines like Spanish and Chinese.
    Thanks and good luck!
    Marlene

36. Patricia J Allen says:

Why won’t these recipes print out? Only thing prints is the column to left of the recipes! Help! (Episode #42)

37. Trina Southe says:

I found the recipe! Yummy, going to try it this weekend! Thanks!!

38. Carol Lani Johnson says:

Looks good! Reminder for gluten-free folk: Nama Shoyu has wheat. I prefer a wheat free-tamari even if it isn’t raw, since a little wheat can make you crave wheat products.

39. Kim Gantz says:

Thanks for the recipe. I’ve been wanting to find a raw mole recipe. BTW, Cinco de Mayo is not Mexican Independence Day (that’s Sept. 16th). It actually celebrates the Mexican victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla.