Coconut Chocolate Macaroons at a Raw Food Cafe and Juice Bar in Connecticut – The Renegade Health Show #30

Monday Apr 14 | BY |

I recently visited Catch a Healthy Habit Cafe in West Haven, CT (about an hour from my house in Danbury)…

I had a great time with owner, Glen Colello, as he showed me around and we talked how to build a health business. He had some great insight about how he got moving on this new venture and shared an amazing, easy raw recipe for “Best Coconut Chocolate Cookies Ever”.

This show was fun to make and equally as fun to watch…

Here’s the “Catch a Healthy Habit Best Coconut Chocolate Cookie Ever” Recipe:

• 3 Cups Shaved Coconut
  • 1 1/2 Cup Cacao Powder
  • 3/4 Cup of Agave Nectar
  • 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
  • Pinch of Sea Salt

Instructions: Get some love and mix it up with your hands. Put in the fridge for 20 minutes, scoop out the mix with a ice cream scoop and put on a dehydrator tray. Dehydrate for 1-2 hours. (Or if you can’t wait, put ’em in the fridge, wait 20 minutes, scoop them onto a plate and dig in… 🙂 )

Your question of the day: (Inspired by Bernadette) What are your favorite raw recipes so we can prepare them on the show?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and share your thoughts so we can have an archive (eventually) of raw food recipes for those rainy, “what should I make” days!

BTW: If you’re in the tri-state area (Connecticut, New York, New Jersey) or Rhode Island or Massachusetts, please be sure to visit Glen’s site (click here) and give him your name and email so you can get updates of upcoming events. He’s got some great people coming to his cafe in the future that you will want to see and network with!

Live Awesome
Kevin

PS. Please tell your friends about the Renegade Health Show! All you have to do is send them an email… 🙂

1. Denise says:

Hi Kevin,
    eating raw is new to me. Oh I did eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies prior to being told I had cancer. I just didn’t make meals of it out side of a large salad or a breakfast of fruit.
    About twenty years ago I was diagnosed with two heart problems. I was only in my late 20’s!!! I started to change my life and habits, but it was not until I started to change the way I ate before it started to turn around. I started to body build and learned about how important your food choices were and how you needed to eat clean and healthy. By the time I was in my early 40’s there was no more heart problem.
    Then two years ago at the age of 48 I was diagnosed with colon/rectal cancer. I have beat this also. The reason I am here watching you is to learn more about how to eat raw, how to put foods together to actually make meals.
    Please have a show with more details about soaking grains and what kind of grains do I buy and how to make meals with them. Thank you, Denise.

2. Suzanne says:

Kevin,
    The cookies looked great! There was one thing that bothered me about the preparation. No gloves were used to mix the ingrediants. Isn’t this against the public health laws? Not to mention that it just turned my stomach–yuck!!

Suzanne

3. Tracy Bordewyk says:

Kevin,
    I’ve enjoyed getting caught up today watching the last 4 shows! It’s been busy.
    Denise, there are some truly awesome raw cookbooks with a ton of info. in all of them on eating raw and the specific how-to’s. Some of my favorites are Raw Food Real World by Sarma Mengalis, Living on Live Food by Alissa Cohen, The Raw Food Detox Diet, by Natalia Rose, Carol Alt’s books are good too!

Love Glenn’s attitude and his place looks awesome!

Here are some of my favorite raw recipes: Black Forest Cake and Raw Cinnamon Rolls in Alissa Cohen’s book, Pear and Argula Salad and Greenmarket Salad in Raw Food Real World. If you can figure out how to make the Tacos in Raw Food Real World easier and less time consuming-that would be great. They are so awesome, but I rarely make them because of the time and plan way ahead factor!!!

Stay Awesome,
    Tracy

4. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin,

You’ve put another smile on my face. 🙂
    I should have mentioned, if you have people send in recipes, they should also probably mention where the recipes came from or if they are original…for your protection.
    Thank you for the ‘Best Coconut Chocolate Cookie Ever’ recipe. I am looking forward to making them.

I think my favorite raw food recipe would have to be ‘kale salad’. I make it at least once a week and its really simple to make. Originally, I found the recipe on Karen Knowler’s site and then saw another version of it by Paul Pacyna at Zegee.com. They both have videos of it on http://www.youtube.com

Kale Salad

1. Take one bunch of organic kale and separate the leaves from the stems. (Put the stems aside for juicing)
    2. Wash the leaves well and cut them into small pieces, first lengthwise, then widthwise.
    3. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Massage into the kale with your hands. This softens the leaves.
    4. Add 1/2 a ripe avocado and again mix in with your hands.
    5. Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon.
    6. Add a chopped raw tomato.
    7. Add 3 chopped green onions.
    8. Add 2-3 tablespoons of raisins or dried cranberries.
    9. Mix it all together and serve.

5. My kids and I have had Glen’s “famous” cookies. They are truly delicious! It’s so wonderful to know that more and more folks from CT are finding that cookies don’t need to be loaded with white sugar, corn syrup, etc. to taste so good!
    …I remember when my kids were amazed that the cookies weren’t baked in an oven, and they still loved them!
    Kristen Colello

6. Denise says:

Thanks Tracy for the Cook Book info! Denise

7. Raw Chef Dan says:

Hi guys, great post. I didn’t get the tour of the place though. I hopped to see more of the store. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing you both here at Quintessence soon.

8. Lauren says:

Suzanne, ungloved hands aren’t gross…and actually, they’re cleaner than gloved hands. Latex gloves trap moisture and bacteria, and the bacteria grows. Some states realize this and do not require gloves. Not to mention all the gross chemicals in latex gloves. Washed hands without gloves are much better.

And my original recipe contribution:

Orange Zest Bars
    by Lauren

Maybe you prefer lemon…or lime. These work, too, and I’d encourage you to try them as well and see which variety you like best. Simply replace the peel of the orange called for in the recipe with peel from whatever other citrus fruit you’re using.

Âľ of 1 orange peel, grated
    2 c Brazil nuts, almonds, or cashews
    3-4 large medjool dates (or about ÂĽ c raisins)

1. Pulverize nuts in food processor.
    2. Add remaining ingredients and continue to blend.
    3. Press mixture into a square pan.
    4. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving. (Refrigeration is optional.)

9. marlene says:

I love these recipes because they’re simple and can be used for one person as opposed to a large group like a lot of recipes are. Thank you!

10. cheryl says:

I don’t know how many this recipe makes but if you make 8 – it is 368 calories each. if you make 20 about 150 calories each.
    seems pretty high in calories?!

11. Rebecca says:

I just made these delicious little pieces of heaven and I must say yummmmmmmmm! These are sooooo good they should be illegal!