Raw Food Recipe for Raw Ceasar Salad with Annmarie! – The Renegade Health Show Episode #17

Wednesday Mar 26 | BY |

Wow! Episode #17 already…

This is a great and QUICK raw food recipe for ceasar salad dressing.

After my attempt to make a quinoa meal and film it (luckily, that didn’t make the Renegade Health Show final cut), Annmarie asked if she could show everyone how to prepare meals.

I said sure–as long as they tasted good–it would take all the prep off of me.

And frankly, I don’t prep much. The most I do is cut a mango or chop some salad and put it in the bowl.

So here’s the raw food recipe for ceasar dressing:

The recipe was originally found in “The Complete Book of Raw Food” edited by Lori Beard and Julie Rodwell and Annmarie made some adjustments.

Complete Book of Raw Food, the, by Various authors
Click here to get the book from Raw, Vegan Books today!

Raw Ceasar Salad Dressing:

2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
Juice of One Lemon
1/2 Tablespoon of Cumin (Non-Irradiated)
1-1 1/2 Clove of Garlic
Sea Salt (to taste)
1/4 Cup Raw Pumpkin Seeds
1 Tablespoon of Agave Nectar
(Filtered Water – If Necessary)

Grind up the pumpkin seeds in a coffee grinder and then mix all the ingredients together. Put over your salad!

For the salad? Get creative! Romaine, spinach, chard, anything that you like.

Your question of the day: “What’s your favorite vegan, raw or healthy store-bought salad dressing?”

Mine is actually not this one… there’s another one that she makes with tahini and lemon and ginger that is amazing… (maybe we’ll share next week!)

Go ahead and click here, scroll down to the bottom and add your comment!

Kevin

1. kara says:

That looks so good – I’m running downstairs to make a salad.
    Have all the ingredients except my pumpkin seeds are dry roasted…

2. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Hey Kara,

Just because we like to talk about raw food here, doesn’t mean you can’t use some roasted or cooked foods. I’d be lying if I told you I didn’t eat cooked foods. I strive for raw and come up pretty close. Roasted are fine… probably will give a great taste too. 🙂

Much better than cream and cheese that is in most ceasar dressings. BTW: I need to check out your running with umbrella blog post…

Will do now!

Kevin

3. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin,

My favorite salad dressing is very much like the one you showed us… It’s one we ate almost every day when I was growing up. I’m also Italian.

2 TB olive oil
    juice of half a lemon
    1 TB ground oregano
    1 tsp garlic powder
    sea salt (to taste)

Usually I just sprinkle everything onto the salad, one at a time, starting with the spices, and then the oil and lemon juice. Toss and serve. It’s so simple and so good.

4. Katherine Christensen says:

It is so fun to see Annmarie on this show! What a cute couple you two are! You could say the ending slogan “one show at a time” together!

Thank you very much for the raw recipe and food prep demo. Helps a lot! More, more, more…please! Looking forward to the tahini/lemon/ginger dressing next week!

What kind of lemon did you say you used, that was sweeter? Didn’t quite catch that.

Thanks, Annmarie, for being supportive of Kevin and his goals to reach many people. You two are great! I love the Renegade Health Show!!!

5. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Hey Katherine! Thanks for your post and kind words…

The lemon is a Meyer lemon. It’s sweeter than regular lemons. You might have to go to a health food store to find one. 🙂

6. Susana says:

WOW!
    Was somebody watching through the computer’s screen as we hauled the cutting board out here and made lunch today?
    “-)
    The wee one joined in mincing the stub of a last cuke; hald a mayan onion; “her” organic tomatoes ~ purchased with part of HER recycling money as an Easter present ~ along with a $2.69 card, intended for lovers, but SO SWEET from a TEN YEAR-OLD!
    😉
    We had two globs of organic avocado and our organic Meyers New Improved lemon juice (backyard harvesting RULES!), mashed with sea salt & organic garlic (hand-delivered from Gilroy, no less! CALIFORNIA LIVING IS _RAWSOME_! So, we added that to the stainless mixing bowl, got it all goopy…
    Then, I tried a new technique:
    I lopped off the root end of a Romaine head and began methodically slicing through the BOTTOM HALF, rotating the head as I went…
    When that was accomplished, I sliced across the head, making smallish bits ~ LOVE IT! VERY EFFICIENT and oxidation’s minimal as it goes from board to bowl to tummy in SCANT MINUTES!
    We did a toss-toss-toss… Added 4 more cloves of garlic through the press, followed by more toss-toss-toss and called it: LUNCH!
    As far as we’re concerned, we had Ceasar’s Salad today ~ without the CHEESE or the RAW EGG…
    RAWsome!

It really pays to make pals with someone growing olives! That olio nuovo is not to be missed ~ and, you get to have it FOR SURE FRESH-FRESH-FRESH!
    Just keep it cool & DARK ~ LIGHT is NOT oil’s friend!

You can get some of the goop from the crushing of the drupes (olives) and make your own homemade SOAPS & SALVES, too! BOMBASTIC STUFF!

Gotta go~ but, I could go on & on & on some more!

7. Dede says:

HEY – GREAT SHOW!!!!! You guys work together sooo well 🙂 – its really fun to watch.

Can’t wait to try grinding my raw pumpkin seeds in the coffee grinder – cause I’ve tried chopping them with a knife and a board – – and they pretty much end up shooting themsleves all over the kitchen :-).

Mmm – – the dressing I like to make is a great marinade too – for chicken, tofo etc.

This makes a ton – about 1.5 cups…Just whisk the following together:
    1 cp olive oil
    1/2 cp rice vinegar
    2 sprigs fresh rosemary
    2 tsp dried Italian herbs
    Black pepper
    1/4 tsp crushed red chili flakes
    2 sprigs parsley
    salt

Credit goes to The Whole Foods Market Cookbook for this one – – SOMEDAY 🙂 – I’ll be able to create my own recipes :-).

Hey Kevin – about the olive oil heating – is there an better alternative to olive oil when I stir fry?

Keep it up guys – – great show!! Dede

8. Dude,

You both crack me up! I LOVED this video!
    My favorite salad dressing is Italian… But I’d love to see you make some variety of organic Italian dressing.

Viva los Buenos Aires!

See you in a couple of days!

Jonathan

9. Laurel says:

Yumm, I think that is the best looking Caesar Salad I have ever seen. I love cumin, but I would have never thought to use that in a dressing. Great idea! I can’t wait to try this!

As for my dressing recipe . . . I usually just throw EVOO and lemon juice on my salad. Ha Ha

Thanks for this video, as well as your others, I love them! Keep up the great work!

10. Alex says:

Hey Kevin,

Thats a Great Yummy Raw salad!!!

You can also do seafood salad Recipe with a variety of shrimps, calamari, mussels and octopus with a vinaigrette dressing.

That can be more rawer and new expercience.

Keep up the Good work guys. You guys are so sweet.

Happy Healthy Eating!!!

11. Cindy says:

Wow! A recipe for Raw Ceasar Salad Dressing! I am definitely going to try this. Thanks so much. Your website/health blog and e-mails are really helpful. I appreciate it so much. Keep it up, Kevin! Live Awesome to you too!!
    Cindy

12. penny budinsky says:

Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for all you do! I’m staying raw as much as possible. Usually green smothie for breadfast and a big salad for lunch and cooked vegan for dinner. I feel really good eating this way and its not that hard to do but it has taken me 4 years to transition. when i eat all raw for a couple months at a time WOW!!!!! thats when i’m on the mountain top! thats my goal maybe another year or two. Here’s my recipie for raw Italian dressing and its really good! Blessings, Penny
    1/2 onion
    1 clove garlic
    1 lg. tomatoe
    1/4 c water
    1 c parsley
    3-4 lemons juiced
    1 1/2 olive oil
    pulse chop in food processor
    ENJOY!

13. penny budinsky says:

sorry thats 1 1/2 cups oil

14. Raw Chef Dan says:

Thanks Kevin! As always you are rockin the raw house with the biggest heart ever.
    One of my all-time favorites is my Japanese house dressing. This is a take on the Tahini Carrot Miso Dressing you get in most Japanese restaurants. I don’t use Carrots so I replaced them with Yam. Check it out and many more at http://www.rawcefdan.com

Japanese House Dressing
    Blend in a blender:
    2 cups Water
    1 cups Yam Chopped
    1 cup Lemon Juice
    1 cup White Miso(I like Chic Pea Miso)
    1 cup White Onion Chopped
    ½ cup Raw Tahini
    ½ cup Ginger Chopped
    3 Tbls Nama Shoyu or Tamari
    1 ½ tsp. Agava or Honey
    Blend smooth then add
    1/2 cups Chopped Yam
    Now run the blender on medium speed and blend till left slightly grainy.
    Serve on Romain with Tomato, Avocado, and really thinly sliced Onion. Enjoy

15. lynn says:

Hi Kevin,

I’m being really picky here but this is a pet peeve of mine as a chef – please don’t fall into the habit of calling recipes by their traditional names when they don’t contain the same ingredients as the original dishes. If everyone starts doing this then eventually the old traditional names and recipes for dishes will be lost, along with their history and backgrounds. Even for something like caesar salad, which doesn’t have a long history yet, it would be a real shame if over time the original components of the recipe get changed so much that the essence of the dish is lost. I guess that that’s what I really care about, the essence of a dish which has been around for a while, and pleased a lot of people with the same ingredients. FYI traditional caesar salad dressing contains anchovies, garlic, egg yolks (raw) lemon juice, olive oil and pepper; I am about 75% raw and I have no problem with putting a few anchovies in my dressing, particularly since they are so rich in omega 3s. That’s not to say that I didn’t think Annmarie’s dressing didn’t sound good, it just wasn’t a caesar dressing! Why not call it pumpkin seed vinaigrette if you want to give it a name 🙂

Regards, Lynn

16. CandY says:

Our N.D. gave us this recipe. It’s wonderful!

Dr. Rawdon’s Healthy Salad Dressing

16 oz. flax seed oil
    8 oz. apple cider vinegar
    4 T. raw honey
    8 T. Braggs Liquid Aminos

Mix vinegar, honey & Braggs in quart jar. Put jar into some warm water until these mix together.
    Add flax seed oil.
    Add following herbs:

1 teaspoon ginger
    1 teaspoon lemon pepper
    1 t. basil
    1 t. cilantro
    1 t. dill weed
    1 t. garlic

You can also add cayenne pepper to taste.

Allow to set at room temperature for 4 hours. Then refrigerate.

Shake well and use as a salad dressing or veggie dip.

17. CandY says:

PS on Dr. Rawdon’s Healthy Salad Dressing

I use only organic seasonings, Spectrum Organic High Lignan Flax Seed Oil, raw honey, and Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother. Sorry I didn’t make that clear in the recipe.

Also wanted to say that I just viewed your show for the first time today and so much appreciate you and your wife taking the time to do this for us. My husband and I have been 98% raw for 2 1/2 years now and it has been very healing to our bodies. We are in our mid 50’s!

18. Jeanne says:

Kev,
    Did you dive right into a salad made with something you’re allergic to? Maybe my allergies are different than yours, but I would be very sick if I did that. Which brings me to my comment/question: Supposedly, one’s body should be able to “cure” itself of allergies when fed properly. But I persist in being extreemly allergic to citrus- lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, etc. (not tomato, or pineapple as many suppose). So, fabulous recipe, and I’d love to try it, but since that’s not going to happen, any suggestions? Vinegars do not always fit the bill…
    Thanx,
    Keep changing the health of the world,
    Jeanne (SDR, not May)

19. Candice says:

Annmarie rocks! Your energies balance, so bring her back for more food prep!

20. suvine says:

sounds like something you can take to restaurants when you order salads

21. Linda says:

Love seeing Annmarie on your videos…keep ’em coming! I would like to suggest a lemon dijon vinaigrette:
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons dijon mustard
    Juice of one large lemon (or more, to taste)
    2 minced garlic cloves
    1 minced shallot
    Optional: 1/2 tsp anchovy paste
    1 Cup extra virgin olive oil
    S & P, to taste
    Mix well to completely emulsify – Enjoy!

22. Mary says:

Oh, all these sound so good.
    Kevin and Annemarie, thank you for what you guys do.
    I love seeing annemarie make the food. It helps to see someone actually making it. I want to incorporate more raw food in our diet and am learning how from seeing and hearing you two. Please don’t stop.
    I am going to go and make a salad now.
    Mary Peyer