The Top 10 Health Trends of 2017

Monday Jan 9, 2017 | BY |
"Ugly produce" will go mainstream this year

“Ugly produce” will go mainstream this year

Health trends come and go!

Think of goji berries, Noni juice, raw chocolate, etc. We don’t hear much about those superfoods anymore.

But we’re still bombarded with information about Himalayan salt lamps, juicing, and a bunch of other things.

What will be the health crazes of 2017 and what should be on our radar?  Here are my predictions.

Bone Broth

Get ready to become overwhelmed with news about bone broth being some “miracle food.” Savvy marketers will take advantage of the current revival of bone broth as and will create products incorporating it. Both broth smoothies anyone? Get ready for random products that will all fail.

Smartwatches Get Momentum

The next Apple Watch will become a tipping point for many people to give smartwatches a try. I believe that smartwatches will eventually become ubiquitous, but the technology is not quite there yet. Eventually, they will be an essential item to help us stay healthy and active.

No-Dinner Plans and Fasting

Intermittent fasting will continue to popular, and many people will give fasting a try, and new research will come out to prove the benefits of it. This is a good thing! Check out www.thegreatestcureonearth.com

Cannabis Gets More Popular

There’s no doubt that there’s a growing trend of legalization and acceptance of cannabis products. I’m very skeptical of this because I believe that the negative aspects of marijuana have been overlooked in the midst of the hype about legalization.

Sober Parties

The trend in the natural world is for less alcohol and more partying with “smart drugs.” Some people get “high” on chocolate and party with that instead of drinking! You’ll start to see more sober parties and more stories on the negatives of alcohol consumption, rather than the standard “it’s okay in moderation” advice.

Sugar Continues to Be the Villain

Sadly, the trend towards demonizing sugar as the cause of the obesity epidemic will continue. Sugar is not the villain it’s made out to be, but it will continue to be the scapegoat for the Standard American Diet for a while. See my article “Sugar is Your Friend.”

Plant-Based Diet Gains Ground

Plant-based diets continue to become more and more popular and may reach a tipping point of acceptance within a few years. One trend we’ll start seeing is more discussion on the role of meat production in climate change. Sadly, many people will move towards a pescatarian diet (no meat but replacing it with fish), and 2017 won’t be the year where we realize the destruction brought about by commercial fishing.

We Collectively Get Over Kale Chips

It’s about time that the kale craze stops. There are other super-healthy and less glamorous green vegetables that we completely ignore. Kale is now the most sold vegetable in the US. Kale chip producers: prepare to be disappointed in 2017!

Ugly produce

You’ll see more creative ways to use “ugly fruits and vegetables” this year. Good news!

Jackfruit

Jackfruit is so easy to grow in tropical countries and produces an unbelievable amount of food. In 2017, many people will start using it as one solution towards hunger problems in developing countries, but you’ll also see more jackfruit products available in the West.

What do you think of my predictions? Will 2017 be the end of Kombucha? Will Donald Trump agree to go vegan? Leave your comments below!

Frederic Patenaude

Frederic Patenaude has been an important influence in the raw food and natural health movement since he started writing and publishing in 1998, first by being the editor of Just Eat an Apple magazine. He is the author of over 20 books, including The Raw Secrets, the Sunfood Cuisine and Raw Food Controversies. Since 2013 he’s been the Editor-in-Chief of Renegade Health.

Frederic loves to relentlessly debunk nutritional myths. He advocates a low-fat, plant-based diet and has had over 10 years of experience with raw vegan diets. He lives in Montreal, Canada.

1. Darlene says:

Frederick,
    Glad your not all hyped up on bone broth….for awhile there I thought I was missing something:)

2. Ani says:

Hi,

Donald Trump will be like all the folks that I know. Easy, tasty, vegan recipe and he will try it…. probably even like it very much. It just takes having good for us, tasty food. Also, not easy most non vegans will not try it.

3. Don’t know if I’d agree with you on whole grain bread and pasta or corn unless all organic. As for marijuana it has positive and negative benefits. If it helps people then great. I have a friend who’s smoked it almost every day for over 50 years and is probably the fittest person I know.
    I’ve always wondered if bringing about a healing crisis would reverse type 1 diabetes?
    Why don’t you mention exercise when you talk about eating all the carbs? Is it not that important?

4. Michelle says:

C’mon, bone broth and coffee powder – yum! lol … I can’t wait to eat more jackfruit…and Trump will never go vegan as long as Bill Clinton calls himself one. Great post – thanks ; )

5. Jacek says:

Fred, what are the negative aspects of cannabis that you are referring to?

• First and foremost is the onset of mental illness when many forms of cannabis is used by a young adult up to 24-25 years of age. It will happen in a certain percentage of the population. And we don’t know much about it but we know it happens. Then we have:
      1) Addiction. There’s no question that’s it’s addicting.
      2) Link with cardiovascular disease
      3) It messes up with the brain big time.

I don’t doubt that it can have benefits to some people. But lost in the excitement of legalization is the fact that it’s a powerful drug with serious side-effects.

6. Diane McCann says:

Enjoy your posts thanks. My query is about smart watches, don’t they emit eMFs? Like fit bits and things of such ilk? We are already drowning in EMFs and I have Tesla discs on everything but I worry about wearing something if it is emitting them. Can you confirm that please. Bone broth is as old as the ages so I think it will stay around for a while. I personally love it and drink it frequently as I don’t do tea or coffee. Anyway thanks for your great info.

7. Nancy says:

All I can say is ……right on….as always!??

8. Thanks, those were fun.

9. Kathleen says:

You are absolutely misinformed about cannabis you need to do your homework before you put statements like that out go to some meetings check things out not just on the Internet very disappointing for someone who doesn’t do their homework and put a statement like that. I hv a friend whose father had 4th stage lung
    Cancer metasized to hi brain in hospice
    Starting taking cannabis and is now cancer free for 5 years. And
    That’s just one story I have!!!!! Stop making
    Statements when you don’t do the research
    NOONE has EVER died with cannabis. EVER
    maybe you should focus on alcohol and how
    Many people it has hurt!!
    Very disappointed. No im not a hippy and
    Never smoked or did any drugs!!! I know
    The value of cannabis for children and
    Many others. Let’s hope you don’t get sick
    And nothing helps except cannabis. If you are
    Open enough to use it!

10. Sandra says:

I hope bone broth goes away quickly-the whole concept is vulgar to me! Mass produced and buying it already add is even more revolting.
    I hope kumbucha stays-it’s feels like a luxurious health food. Love to have mine with frozen berries like a. Treat.