Delicious, Dairy-Free Vanilla Coconut Yogurt

Friday Mar 15, 2013 | BY |

Dairy Free Coconut Yogurt

For someone like me, who loves yogurt, but pretty much can’t eat it due to lactose issues (yes, I’ve tried all types from all animals) this recipe is a perfect substitute.

When done right, you can barely tell the difference between this recipe and the real thing.

This recipe comes from our book “Cultured! Make Healthy Fermented Foods at Home.” This book includes recipes for veggies, drinks, breads and more. There are over 70 recipes to choose from to improve your kitchen skill and your health.

Here’s how to make the yogurt now (plus, an additional strawberry jam recipe)…

Vanilla Coconut Yogurt

Makes 3 cups

2 cups young coconut meat (about 2-3 coconuts)
1?4 cup kefir, or 2 probiotic pills
1 pinch vanilla bean powder or the seeds from inside 1?2 of a vanilla bean

Instructions:

Blend the coconut and coconut water/probiotic in a blender until completely smooth and slightly warm. Add the vanilla powder and pulse it into the mixture. Place the coconut cream in a jar and put on lid. Allow to culture on the counter at 65-80 degrees (on top of a warm dehydrator is ideal) for 8-12 hours. It will expand, so make sure there is room for that in your jar. The yogurt is ready when it gets spongy and slightly sour. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week. It will continue to ferment and sour in the fridge.

What is a Young Coconut?

Unlike the hairy, aged brown coconuts you’re used to seeing in the supermarket, young coconuts often appear with their green outer shell or white inner skin still intact. These younger coconuts contain more minerals and health benefits than when they age.

How Do You Open the Coconut?

Coconuts can be opened by shaving off their outer layers with a sharp kitchen knife until you reach the inner core or ‘nut.’ Next, you crack the edges of the nut’s peak until it is able to be pried open, revealing the tasty and nutritious coconut water and flesh inside.

Vegan? Raw? Or Not?

It’s up to you to decide if you’d like to make yogurt with coconut meat or raw milk. If you’re making it raw, be sure you get fresh milk. You can also boil the raw milk at home first, then allow it to cool to 90-100 degrees before starting the recipe. This pasteurization process will deactivate some of the enzymes, but the fermentation process will create a combination of healthy benefits that may be different, but still beneficial.

Contributed by Heather Haxo Phillips (rawbayarea.com)

Serving Ideas:

Serve your yogurt in a bowl with fresh fruit, or make a fruit yogurt by blending 1?2 cup fresh fruit into the yogurt and top with honey, if desired. You could also make a beautiful parfait, by putting the yogurt in wine glass with layers of fresh strawberry jam below. Top it with your favorite granola or chopped nuts.

Strawberry Jam

1 1?2 cups strawberries or raspberries, fresh or frozen 1?2 cup soaked dates or date paste

Place berries and dates into a blender. Blend until very smooth. Taste the jam. If it is not sweet enough, add a few drops of stevia or more date paste. If you want it thicker, add a tablespoon of ground chia or psyllium husk.

Stored in a glass container, the jam will keep for up to 5 days.

Contributed by Heather Haxo Phillips (rawbayarea.com)

Additional Resources:

How to easily open young thai coconuts:

How to make young thai coconut yogurt:

Special Savings on This Great Book…

We were (and still are) so excited about fermented foods, we wrote a book about them. In the book we gathered over 70 cultured food recipes from expert chefs around the world.

The book is one of our favorites and is a bestseller because we’re not the only one’s who seem to like it!

If you want to read more about this book and if you want to get it, we have a special deal that we’re running until March 18th.

If you use the coupon code CULTURE13 you will save $7.50 off the ebook or printed book. Just type on the code when you check out and you’ll save 25%.

Click here to read more about the book and get it today

We love this book and pretty much guarantee you’ll find some amazing recipes in it that you’ll use for years.

1. Linny says:

This looks like a great recipe and I’m sure the young coconut makes a nutritious result. I have never seen a young coconut available (I’m in the UK) even at a Whole Foods. Is it possible to make this with a prepared organic coconut milk product? I’ve seen one in the refrigerated aisle at WF. It’s not So Delicious, can’t recall the brand. Thanks!!

2. David Gaydos says:

Hey Kevin,

You mentioned that you’re lactose intolerant. Have you ever tried raw organic goat milk kefir? One pretty much has to make it at home. It’s quite easy, extremely digestible for most folks, and all that’s necessary is the raw goat milk and some kefir grains that can be had from friends or bought online. Excellent probiotic source!

3. Karen Larmony says:

Thanks for the info about coconuts and the pudding or yogurt!!!

4. Rhoberta Greger says:

I would appreciate if you speak more clearly and slowly so we can understand all you are saying. Would like to see everything you are doing and didn’t really see you stiring in the Kefir. I noted you were making coconut pudding, but using kefir starter. There are yogurt and kefir starters at the health store. What is the difference between the 2.

I also received your “culure” book advetisement. I noticed that your pickles called for 3 lb. and 1 gallon jar. I know there is a hugh audience of people wanting to learn small amounts of things like I do. How do I make a pint of pickle?. You may lose a large audience for the quantities are too large. Appreciate your help.
    Keep up the good work.
    Rhoberta

5. LynnCS says:

I love that tangy, fermenty taste. I have your book, but had to box up my books to work on my house. This reminds me to get it out.

I miss this ‘old’ videos and your opening. When I first came across your videos, I was so taken a back at how loud and puctuated this guy with the big blond hair was. Now I miss it. So much fun to go back and see this.

I’m afraid I will eat the whole thing at once, so glad that AnnMarie gave us her take on it. I am not a fan of the coconut water or meat, so I will probably pass on this one, but it gives me an incentive to find some fermented foods I like.

Thanks for showing this again. Lynn

6. Lynette says:

A cocoanut has 3 natural holes at the top to get the milk out of.They are easy to see.

7. mork says:

I’ve tried to ferment cucumbers/pickles, but the last time they got moldy and cloudy and I couldn’t eat them.They were soft.

8. Gina says:

WOW, it sure was nice to see the old videos. I wish you would start doing them again.

9. Can I use frozen raw coconut meat from Body Ecology to make the coconut yogurt?

10. Mary says:

Hi. ….loved the videos, yet I was surprised that you didn’t show or mention the three holes located in
    “nut” on the bottom of the coconut.

After you file away there in the middle are 3 holes, two being hard and one being soft. Soft as in just take a small knife or pick and punch through some coconut meat to have a free running hole which you can then set on top of a cup and voila, let the juice fill it up! It’s really Mother Nature at her best!

Of course afterwards you can open the rest for the meat

11. deborah says:

I absolutely LOVE fresh Thai coconut. However, I find they are always SO expensive. Any ideas on where to get them for less than 3 bucks a piece? A recipe for 9 coconuts is $27. Yikes.

Any reason you cannot ferment the milk and meat together?

12. Linda says:

Seed milk yogurt is so easy to make. Just make a rich creamy milk mixture. I use about 1-1/2 seeds to 5-6 cups water. I add a few cashews to make it creamy. Add a little salt and some sweetener for the probiotic to grow on. Blending in the blender will make it warm. I use either a powdered probiotic or yogurt/whey from the previous batch. I use 2 caps of probiotic per quart of milk or 2-3 Tablespoons of yogurt/whey. I place it in jars on the counter where it is warm and leave it about 12 hours (depends on the season). When it is thick and tangy/sour it is ready to place in the fridge. Its great all the time. I drink the whey as well, and it’s great to use in making vegan cheeses. Today I added chia seeds to the pre-blended seed mix. I mostly use sunflower, hemp, pumpkin seeds and cashews.

• Bluey says:

Hello Linda,
      Thanks for your seed milk yogurt recipe. It sounds great.

I would like to make some vegan cheese too. Could you give me the recipe please?
      Much appreciated.

• Jo says:

Hi Linda, your recipy sounds very good, you didn’t say how much seeds to use. Was it 1 1/2 cups ? Also loved Kevin’s yogurt recipy , I have a batch going :)

13. tbear says:

You can find young coconuts at Asian markets. Most cities in the world (I live in California, US) have an Asian area of town where you can buy fruits and veggies. You will also find that they are less expensive than at health food stores (in California, I can get them for $1.50 or less, depending on how many I buy). I always take the coconut water out of the coconut before cracking the shell because I don’t want it to spill. I punch a hole in the top with a screwdriver and hammer. It’s easier than it sounds, but you must cut the fiber off first using a sharp knife. Then I crack the shell with my trusty hammer and remove the meat with my fingers rather than scraping with a knife.

14. Emily says:

Kevin, I wish we could hear your yogurt story. I’m curious as to how you could eat goat yogurt for healing but cannot eat it now? Otherwise, thanks for the great info. I will most likely try Linda’s seed/nut milk yogurt. Thanks, Linda!

15. Could you tell me if young baby coconuts from Thailand are okay to use? I heard that they are soaked in fermaldehyde to prevent fungus development and that the fermaldehyde can get into the coconut water within the coconut. Is there any truth to this?

16. IdaPie says:

SO awesome!
    Don’t see many young thai coconuts around these neck of the woods (Norway), UN-FRIKKIN-FORTUNATELY ! But when I lived in Australia they were abundant enough.
    Maybe I’ll be able to dig up some when the seasons right and I’ll give the yogurt a crack cause I’m super stoked for it!
    Reckon it can easily be made in a yogurt-maker aswell? I got one for christmas and the only thing i’ve tried (and failed at) is oat-yogurt ^^

17. Pam says:

I’d like to know if one could use coconut milk that is either canned or in cartons? Something to shorten the process some & make it a little easier. I have never even seen green coconuts.

18. Audrey says:

Linda – would you be more explicit about your seed milk please? I’m interested in what you say but can’t quite understand what you mean by adding 5-6 cups to your ‘seed milk’ Many thanks.

19. Linda says:

Sorry – Thats 1 1/2 cups of seeds to about 5-6 cups of water, blended to make a creamy nut milk.

20. Linda says:

Artisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko Schinner is a wonderful recipe book on how to make vegan cheese.

21. Leah says:

Making your own is awesome, but when I don’t have the time (or patients or supplies) I buy Tula’s CocoYo! It’s highly probiotic, delish!