The Most Awesome Health (And Non-Health) Products of 2012 : Best of Health 2012

Thursday Jan 10 | BY |

treadmill desk

There are a lot of health products on the market…

So many of them that it can be overwhelming.

In 2012, I’ve actually been quite underwhelmed by many of the products we’ve reviewed or used. It just seems like this year we didn’t come across much that wow-ed us.

Because of this, I have only one health related award and two non-health (but helpful) resources.

Also, please note, we definitely think some of our products are the best of the best — like our holy basil, cinnamon, sacha inchi oil, Blood Test Blueprint and Annmarie Gianni Skin Care — but it would be a little egotistical to include them in these award categories!

The product line up here includes a way to total remove paper from your home and office, how to pay at some stores without your wallet, and most importantly how to multitask your exercise with your work.

Let’s get on with it…

Renegade Health Best Product of 2012: Lifespan Fitness Treadmill Desk (TR1200-DT5)

This product is a game changer. It’s the ultimate tool to multitask your exercise and your work.

I heard about it at a conference in May and within a few months, I had one delivered to our office.

After only 30 minutes of walking and working, I was in love.

Getting a treadmill desk is very simply the healthiest thing you can do for yourself if you sit at a desk for extended periods of time during the day. It increases blood flow, oxygen to your body and brain and is likely to improve your cardiovascular health (statement not approved by the FDA, but it’s a no-brainer.)

I’m going to write more about this — including reports of time, distance and calories burned — over a 2 month period in the very close future, but for now, all I can share is that you strongly recommend you look into getting one to supplement or totally replace your existing desk (or petition your boss to get one to share.)

If we had more room in the office, I’d get one for everyone. They’re that good.

Also, I found it quite easy to work and walk at the same time — which was my biggest concern. I’m able to do just about everything I would do sitting — write, email, phone calls, paperwork. The only thing that is difficult is if I need to draw, or need to juggle between 2-3 different areas on the desk.

You can read more about this amazing product here.

Non-Health Products We Love #1: Wallet from Square

Not really a “product,” Wallet is a smartphone app that can be used to pay at stores or restaurants who do their payment processing through Square. I know, that’s a lot of tech-speak, but this is the future of in-store payments.

Basically, you download the app, then program your credit card number into the Wallet database. When you’re close to a place that takes it you can either set the app to automatically create a tab or you can open the app and open a tab manually. When you go to check out, the clerk will see your photo and name and you can pay with one click — no signature, no paper wasted. It’s pretty awesome.

The downside of this app is that most stores still don’t have Square and you’ll likely only find stores in major cities who accept this. Starbucks has signed a contract with Square, though, so in the future, you may see many more chain type vendors with this capability.

Here’s where you can learn more: https://squareup.com/wallet

Non-Health Products We Love #2: Evernote

In 2012, we decided to eliminate as much paper clutter as possible. So on the recommendation from our friend Frederic Patenaude, I bought a Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner and signed up for Evernote. Evernote is a cloud based service that helps you store and categorize digital documents. What this means is that it gives you the opportunity to eliminate all the paper in your life.

Once we got everything set up, we proceeded to scan, store, categorize and shred all our personal and business documents.

Now, we only keep about a week’s worth of paper in the office. After that week is over, we scan all documents, statements, receipts, etc. and then shred them and send the scraps off to be recycled. We wouldn’t be able to do this without Evernote.

One added benefit of their software, is that you can search the text of the scanned documents. So if I wanted to find a bank statement that had the exact dollar amount of a trip to Cafe Gratitude, I could search for it and more than likely it will pop up first.

As of now, there is a free account and a premium one. We have the premium, but we have lots of documents. You can go here to learn more.

A non-cluttered home and office generally means a clear and non-cluttered mind. 🙂

That’s it for today. I’ll be reviewing more products this year, including a full review on the treadmill desk, so stay tuned!

Your Question of the Day: What products do you love (health or non-health related?)

1. Linda says:

Favorite health-related product discovered in 2012 – Pikl-it jars! They make the best fermented veggies. (And, they’re a lot cheaper than the treadmill, though it’s a fantastic idea.)

2. Joel says:

OMG – I think I have to have one of these. I agree – this looks like a game changer. Thanks Kevin!!

3. David says:

I love my Quantum Pendant, energy necklace. For the price, the quality is very good, it looks great, and has a real feeling of calmness. Made by Quantum>Science, sold on Amazon, or on their own website.

4. Kevin says:

EVERNOTE is AWESOME! I am a premium user and use it to archive Data from my notes on lectures, health protocols, Dr Bios, Photos, Audio recordings…. It really helps keep things organized!

5. Josephine says:

That treadmill desk looks exactly like what I have been wanting!

6. Yvonne says:

Quantum pendant… I have one of those, but can’t tell if it is working. I guess it is.

The treadmill, wow, what an awesome product, wish I could afford one of those! I sit by the computer day in, day out. But I have decided to buy a regular treadmill, a cheap one for ca $150, manual one. I won’t be able to be on the computer at the same time but at least I will get some exercise.

The pickl-it jars, I have seen them on the Internet, didn’t feel I need them. Regular jars are enough for me.

The only item in my life that I feel I could not do without is my GPS and despite the fact that it is not a 2012 product, I appreciate it very much all the time.

However, one product new to me, bought in December 2012, was a Ninja blender, Mega Kitchen System BL770 series. My old Walmart blender died and this one was advertised on TV for $150 plus S&H, total $200. I couldn’t afford a Blendtec for $500. I had previously bought a small Ninja for spreads made of beans, peas and lentils, and I love it, have confidence in the Ninja brand. This new 1500 watts Ninja blender definitely does the job, although I was shocked by the loud sound. A friend said: better a loud blender than none. I have used it so far for almond milk, oat milk and flax seed milk and am very pleased with the result. I am trying to change my diet, go totally sugar free, and the store bought almond milk contains sugar, so I have to make my own milk. I imagine my greens smoothies will no loner be grainy like they were in the Walmart blender.

Oh, and I almost forgot another machine I got during 2012, a dehydrator, love it, love it, love it! I make all kinds of bread in it.

7. Cindy says:

I purchased the Easy Sprouter this year from the Sproutpeople. Makes perfect sprouts every time (and tons of them) and was such a small investment. I have found sprout nirvana!

8. Stacy says:

Philips GoLite, especially during Winter months!
    Salt lamp…even though I don’t feel different, I know it’s a healthy lamp and like the glow it gives off.

9. Donna says:

I use a Pong radiation protective cell phone case. Bought one for every family member.

10. Katey says:

I LOVE that you featured this product. I’ve actually seen ones where you can sit at a desk and get up throughout the day and walk without missing a beat on your PC or Mac or lap top. Although, I start to wonder if not escaping for a few minutes is detrimental for my sanity. I get really stressed at my desk and have to leave it for a change of scenery to recharge. I have a sedentary (sit on my butt all day) job and it’s for a HEALTH insurance company which preaches about being healthier helps keep medical costs down. After seeing these on the market, one would think that the company would invest in the health of its workers by offering this up….Keep the great articles coming and peace and love to you and your family!

11. Satori says:

Can you focus on your work on that desk???? Haha. I don’t have any fave health product from 2012….I started to sleep without a pillow after attending one of David Wolfe’s talks in 2012. It’s been 3 moths and I’m loving it:) I’ve been really interested in pikl-it jars though….

12. happy1 says:

Evernote, most definitely along with the ScanSnap Scanner. I recently scanned in all of my mom’s old recipes and have them in Evernote for the whole family to enjoy. Working on my personal recipes next. Then working my way to scan away the papers in my office!

13. Dee says:

I prefer the “Perfect Pickler”. Works just like the Piki-It system except it’s a standard Wide Mouth Jar lid so you can easily go from one jar to the next, from pint to 1/2 gal size. Pickled soooo many things last summer!!

14. With this so called flu epidemic I am so glad I take my family takes juice plus everyday!!!
    It’s the best way for us to get our daily fruits and veggies easily and inexpensively!!!! Another bonus is its all raised by family farms Nd manufacturers in the u.s. check it out and be healthy

15. Jo says:

Kevin,

Just saw the treadmill desk on tv last night. Great idea if you keep a slow-steady pace! I do all my sitting on an exercise ball. Good for the core while you balance and exercise when you would be just vegging.

As for all the apps. I am not in favor of making the cell phone the hub of all our lives. I don’t even carry a cell phone. I think it is a mistake to put our whole lives on one device. Big mistake. I’ve thought this for years. Never imagined the lengths that this would get to though. Remember the old saying…….”Never put all your eggs in one basket”? It would be different if we were in total control of the device, but we are not.

We love our Ninja for quick smoothies. If we have something heavy duty to mix then we use our Blendtec. It has made such a difference in our lives.

16. Nadia Harper says:

I love the glass bottles from lifefactory. So great to be able to have water on the go in a glass bottle!!! I will often add herbs into the water as well.

And I really love aromatherapy whiffers. We wear ours all the time. You put the essential oil of your choice inside the pendant and then wear it around your neck. Perfect for purifying the air that you are breathing… essential when on a plane or any other crowded public space (especially when there are sick people or smelly people around you).

Love this post.. am going to read through what other people love… such a great way to share inspiring and helpful products… Thanks Kevin!!

17. Susan says:

I love Evernote! However, I wish there was a group of people that I could network with a phone call where I could ask questions and share tips. I find that having to email a question to Evernote does not work for me. I need to be able to ask questions verbally. I have bought the Fujitsu scanner, looked at all of the YouTubes on Evernote, and now I am stuck.

I really love my small small blender jar for the blendtec. It makes pesto, humus, and small quantities of really thick items easy to blend.

Also, this year I got an iPad and I really use it all the time. Love it!

18. barry says:

Mac, recumbent commuter, vitamix (duh), fermented food paraphenalia,

19. Ken says:

Kevin, the best product of 2013 barnone = http://bit.ly/ZRjtVh (and you can even use it with the Treadmill Desk!)

20. Chris says:

I’m glad it works for you. I know a few other people who own this and they seem to like it. It would seem to me that we should put our energy and thoughts either on the task at hand, namely the treadmill or on work. Am not judging, but this machine makes no sense to me.

21. Jackie says:

NO More Multi-tasking !! It went out the window 2 years ago !
    One job at a time ~ and do it 100% ~ YEA !!
    Love the Vita Mix !! ~ and you have some terrific products !

22. IdaPie says:

I would really like a treadmill desk but thats way out of a students economical reach I’m afraid! I do picture myself at it tho, here at the research station where I’m taking my masters and they already think I’m a bit ‘looney’ 😉

For christmas I got a yoghurt maker! And I’m stoked about it, but haven’t been able to make any till last night, so as we speak its just finishing up its ‘brewing’ process! Trying to make yoghurt out of homemade oatmilk. Very excited! 😀

Another awesome & game changing health related ‘product’ is seeing a naprapath & getting a professional trainer!

Now I’m just saving up to buy a vitamix (that will take years!) and life is great.
    Thank you Mother Nature, and thats my final words 🙂

23. Ed says:

Beer, now that I’m down to two a day instead of two four packs, I look forward to them more. Fermented veggies, Donna Gates is on to something. “Bee Bread Nuggets” I have plenty of raw honeys that sit on a shelf till somebody asks, but these nugget things are a hit with me.