Healthy and Not-So-Healthy Supplements for Your Cat : Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Thursday Jan 22 | BY |

Seriously, he’d prefer a bit of tuna.

Does your cat need nutritional supplements?

It’s a question that vets get asked more often these days. Our pets are part of our families, and we want them to be as healthy and happy as possible, so they’ll enjoy as long as life as they can with us.

Most vets will say that as long as you’re feeding your cat a cat food that’s formulated to provide a balance diet, and the cat is healthy, you don’t need supplements. Others, however, counter that food stored for a long time on the shelves can lose some of its nutritional value, and that many cats have special needs that require more nutrients.

The best option is to check with your veterinarian. Some supplements can actually be harmful for your cat, as they can upset the balance of nutrients the cat needs. Using too much of one nutrient, for example, can upset the absorption or others, resulting in nutrient deficiencies or even dangerous overdoses. Most supplements have not been tested in cats, so even if they’re safe in humans and dogs, cats have very different metabolisms, and are likely to react differently.

Some Potentially Helpful Supplements —- Check with Your Vet
With that in mind, here are a few supplements that may be helpful to your cat. If you do decide to try one, as always, make sure you’re buying from a reputable supplier. Veterinary formulated supplements are often preferred.

1. Multivitamin: If you have taken in a stray cat, or just adopted one, you may have an animal that has not been treated well, and needs a boost of good nutrition. Cats who have gone through an illness or surgery may also benefit from a good multivitamin short-term.
  2. Digestive enzymes: According to Dr. Michael Dym, VMD, a good plant-based digestive enzyme added to each meal can help with digestion and help your cat absorb critical nutrients essential in preventing and treating diseases. Try NaturVet Enzymes or Prozyme.
  3. Omega 3 fatty acids: Like in people, omega-3s can help support brain function in cats, as well as help decrease body inflamamation, ease joint pain and arthritis, support a healthy coat, and lessen allergic reactions. They may also help prevent heart and kidney disease in the long term.
  4. Probiotics: These may be a good addition to your cat’s daily diet, as they can help prevent digestive upsets and strengthen the immune system. Particularly for aging cats, who have digestive systems less able to retain nutrients ingested from foods, probiotics may be helpful. Also, cats who have been sick and have taken antibiotics may bounce back faster with probiotic supplementation.

Some Potentially Helpful Herbal Supplements
Though again, you must be cautious when giving plant supplements to cats, there are a few that may be helpful in certain situations. Always start with low doses.

1. Chamomile tea: For cats that are nervous or hate to travel, chamomile tea may help to calm them down. Allow a strong-brewed tea to cool and administer via an eyedropper—about 3 vials full. This is also considered a good remedy for an upset tummy. You can also pour it into a spray bottle and use it for red and raw skin irritations—it will soothe on contact.
  2. Ginger root extract: A few drops before leaving on a car trip may also help soothe an upset stomach.
  3. Bee pollen: ¼ teaspoon for every 15 pounds, given two to three times weekly, may help slow the aging process, restore hormone balance, and regulate the digestive tract, as well as calm symptoms of allergies. Start with only a little to determine your cat’s tolerance. May be best used short-term in times of stress, illness, or disease.
  4. Slippery elm: This herb is recommended for treating diarrhea and vomiting, or for pets with sensitive stomachs. Use ¼ teaspoon powder per 10 pounds of body weight.

Supplements to Avoid
The following supplements may actually cause damage to your cat’s health.

1. Antioxidants: People think that antioxidants will provide similar protection against disease in cats as they do in humans, but tread carefully here. Cats need vitamin A, for instance, but too much can cause medical problems. In fact, overdoses of vitamin A are more common than deficiencies in cats. High doses of vitamin C can also cause problems in the urinary tract, mouth, and stomach.
  2. Garlic and/or onion: These can destroy red blood cells, leading to anemia.
  3. Calicum and vitamin D: It’s difficult to find the right balance with these. Too much can be toxic.
  4. Vitamin C: As mentioned above in “antioxidants,” too much vitamin C can cause overly acidic urine, which can lead to crystal formation and a life-threatening blockage.

Kev’s Thoughts:

Just a few personal thoughts on this…

We don’t give Jonny 5 any supplements. We rotate his food from organic canned wet food — no grains — to a full-on raw food mix from the butcher.

He loves chlorella tablets, so we give them to him from time to time.

I don’t think it’s wrong to give cats supplements — I’m sure some are helpful — we just prefer not to give him anything.

I do completely disagree with feeding a cat a vegan diet. They’re not vegans. They eat flesh, blood and bones. Dogs are able to be more toward vegetarian, but still require animal food.

Annmarie and I recently saw this video online and I’m seriously considering feeding Jonny 5 the diet that this man does. If you own a cat, you’ll love this…

Do you give your cat supplements? Which ones do you use? Please share your thoughts.

* * *

Photo courtesy KisforCo via Flickr.com.

1. Robin says:

Ask my vet???? Knows nothing about nutrition except what the Veterinary Big Pharma taught and paid for in vet school–Hill’s and Science special diets are the only answers. Ask about suppplements? Naaaaah. I have literally been told I read too much and fussed at when I bring up things I am trying. Their eyes just glaze over.

1. I have tried, in vain, to give my cats any form of omega-3. One will lick coconut oil on my finger, but it’s not omega-3. Appreciate any suggestions–they will not eat it added to their food, etc. Afraid to give with syringe (aspirate it), and doing that just pushes them away from me.
    2. I can give one cat liquid chlorella. She loves her ‘green water’. The other, who could really use it, throws up.
    3. Had just remembered about Prozyme yesterday. I think both cats refused to touch food ‘laced’ with it when I tried it several years ago.
    4. I give human probiotic Pearls to cat with digestive issues, when she vomits. Nice, tiny little capsules.
    4. Was recently given name of online vet by an animal naturopath in Australia.–Dr. Andrew Jones, DMV , trained in Canada. Claims he is holistic, anti-establishment on nutrition, vaccinations, etc. Subscribed to his daily e-mails. Contradicts his claims of being renegade, suggested special ?Science Diet in one newsletter. But one error does not a ‘traitor’ to the cause make. I am reading to see whole picture. Take the best, leave the rest?

He has a supplement for cats and dogs. One for cats:
    http://www.thecatsupplement.com/. Bec. one of my cats is herpes virus carrier, she must have lysine, which blocks arginine. This product has both in it. But it also has lots of other things, inclduing Vit. C, D. And aloe extract. Had me wondering about safety. Wrote the doctor, asking about it having the arginine in it. A promise of response in two days took over a month and several more inquiries. Got a comment that there was more lysine than arginine, but no official OK that it would not cause harm.

5. Moral of story: It’s really all about finding the best food, so no supplements needed, unles illness. Find holistic vet who knows about nutrition, beyond the Science/Hill’s diet solutions for every affliction. Be careful what and who you read on internet. I have not decided whether to order the cat supplement, despite price special and money back guarantee…

Am continuing search to optimize both cats’ health….One with herpes virus flare-ups. Other with asthma, digestive problems, weight issues. Trying to avoid medications when possible. Esp. steroids! Have also, and will try again, to make homemade food for them, hope they will even sniff it. No grains…..

2. Hello says:

I just let my cats outside to go hunting all day. Whatever nutrients the cat food is lacking, I assume they will supplement with their kills. Hunting their food provides them more of a variety to their diet. They eat all rodents like rabbits, gophers, mice etc. They eat bugs and certain spiders. My cats have even eaten lizards. They also chew on certain grasses and plants.

3. Hello says:

Also, cats are meant to be carnivores. Every time my cats eat too much or grass or plant material, they throw it up.

4. Lorraine says:

I agree with Robin that the Vet has no answers except what they are taught by the Pet Food reps selling dry food. My cats are all raised on raw food with supplements. They are obligate carnivores and should only eat raw meat, bones and organs. Eating mice is the best thing for a cat, because mice have the highest amount of taurine in them and this is what cats need. They can’t produce it themselves.
    Mine unfortunately don’t get to go outside and hunt, so they get plenty of taurine from hearts.
    You can try pure salmon oil for a supplement. This the best oil recommended for cats.

5. shine says:

the only supp ive found to give mine is a efa oil – one loves chorella tabs and another loves melon,kale,avo, coconut butter and cucumber!
    its an area i wish there was more info on.

6. Lance says:

I think one of the most popular and raved about cat supplements is Nutramax Cosequin: http://amzn.to/Np2KC0

I think if you’re looking for something convenient and effective, this is the way to go. I like what the video had to say as well though.

7. Goodie says:

All my cats have lived relatively long…18 to 21 years. I believe it is because I avoid vets as much as possible. They have all been indoor cats so I don’t immunize them. However I have had a learning curve on what to feed them and when and if I get another cat I will look into homemade and raw foods. My current cat is 18 and is very fussy…she won’t even eat treats….so changing her diet would not work.
    My 5 yr old dog on the other hand has had all sorts of allergy health issues that I feel were the result of her shots. If I had been more aware I would have spaced them out. She is doing better now with her skin issues, needs thyroid meds but on the whole is doing much better. My current vet is more holistic.
    I LOVED the video. 🙂

8. sue says:

I don’t use supplements. Dry food & butcher scraps especially pork liver. Didn’t know about why they like the meeses! I had a porch stained by lots of blood before I moved & had to make mine an indoor cat.
    Mice? and shrew are in the lyme food chain & if a cat eats one which carries the tick bite, the cat will get lyme disease.

Canned tuna is really bad for cats. There is a catfood tuna which is ok.
    I don’t believe in cat vaccinations (they contain the same horrors that human vaccines do). I lost a fine cat at 12 years; had cancer. A friend told me vaccines weaken them so they get cancer. There are really no laws written on the books that we have to give them rabies shots–that’s a myth perpetrated by you know who!

They are the only animal which can easily flow from wild to domesticated & back at any moment.
    That video is a real find!!!! Thanks ever, Kev!

9. Jane says:

Loved the video! Not sure my cats would eat bacon and eggs and broccoli, though!
    I feed mine two cats one whole raw quail each day that I purchase frozen (100 at a time). Very nutritious, as they eat the bones and everything. They have NEVER had any plaque on their teeth, even though they are now 13 and 14. Incredible fur, very playful. And I think feeding them the quail makes them not want to hunt outdoor birds. They do catch an occasional mouse now and then.

10. Kathleen says:

I crush up Healthy Pets Organic SpiruGreen into Newman’s Organic Cat food. I often add chia seeds too.

11. Jewel says:

I give my three cats probiotics from Dr. Mercola’s website per Dr Karen Becker DVM. I must try bacon, eggs, and broccoli… and did he say ‘coffee’? One loves my morning spirulina and fruit smoothie made with coconut milk.

12. Lisa says:

I give my cats raw milk and even the VERY fussy one loves it… also raw buttermilk. It makes their coats very soft. One cat I had loved raw, grass-fed liver, but the finicky one I have now won’t touch it… he does love raw egg yolk, though, i only give him the kind from the free-range hens my friend has. The finicky one was a feral cat for about 4 years and does hunt, but also eats dry food. I very much enjoyed the video, thanks 🙂

13. Anna21 says:

I have nothing useful to add to the conversation except to say that I recently adopted an adorable stray black & white tuxedo kitty that looks like Johnny 5.

14. vickie allen says:

Any suggestions on supplements for cats with leukemia. I don’t vaccinate but wonder what I can do to keep immune system strong. Suggestions?

15. Anna K. says:

Robin, What about trying sardines for the omega 3’s. If they have this now and then, I don’t see why a supplement would be necessary.

16. Christine says:

I’d be concerned about figuring out the amount of coffee. Tho I suspect you could substitute roasted dandelion root tea which wouldn’t be as potentially toxic.

17. Wendy says:

No, but I alternate the catfoods that I buy, thinking that no one food is perfect. My cats go outside also and nibble whatever they like … including squirrels and birds and lizard tails.

18. Carmen says:

I love this video!! Thank you so much for sharing.

19. Ronn says:

@Robin — There’s a terrific new book out that’s all about chia seeds; really a fun and informative book that I highly recommend for everyone who is taking or is interested in chia. It’s titled “CHIA The Complete Guide to the Ultimate Superfood”, by Wayne Coates, PhD. You can find it on Amazon.

The reason I mention it, is because chia is one of the best sources of Omega 3 EFAs, and there are chia recipes for pets in the book.

For cats:

“Chia Cat Food, makes 1 serving.

Chia helps cats’ coats grow glossy and thick, brightens their eyes, and helps sustain their energy levels.

Recipe:

1 serving of cat food (depending on your cat, this is 1 ounce, 3 ounces or 5 ounces)

1 teaspoon of chia gel (to save space, I won’t type out his recipe for chia gel here, but you can find instructions for making it at many places online)

1. Mix chia gel with canned food until it’s thoroughly mixed.

2. Serve immediately.”

I haven’t tried this with my cat yet, but wanted to pass the information along in case some might find it helpful. My cat gets an all-raw diet, so I’ll be curious to see if she’ll go for a teaspoon of the gel mixed in!

20. Lester says:

In the video, it would be nice to know his opinion on what role the veterinarian plays in his cat show awards and longevity. What was the health condition of the other couple hundred cats he doesn’t mention?

21. Jlm says:

We have an awesome homeopathic vet in Austin that really pushes raw food for cats and dogs. We don’t give “supplements” because the food we prepare them contains what would normally be missing. Having said that, we have one cat who recently learned how to open the bottle of spiralina and had a nice green mustache for the day! He’s one that is forever in the window eating greens as well. He had a pretty severe injury when we got him and we suspect he’s trying to catch up on what he was missing for so long. They do seem to know what they need if we leave them to their own devices!

22. Karen Beattie says:

WE HAVE THREE CATS AND TWO OF THEM LOVE CATNIP TREATS; ALSO ROLL IN THE DRIED GREENS. THE PURSIAN DIED OF CANCER OF THE OVARY SIX MONTHS AFTER SURGARY. WE HAD HER CREMATED AND SAVED HER ASHES. MAKE SURE TO SPAY THEM YOUNG BECAUSE THIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN PREVENTED.

23. Robin says:

ANNA K: Thanks for idea about sardines! BUT.
    I tried them. Every flavor that was healthy for them. No go. And the Nordic Naturals fish oil (I use it, great company, great products) for cats is sardines and anchovies…..

My cate are P-I-C-K-Y. To their detriment, to my despair. Moral of this story–start them on the good stuff during kittenhood!

Tried salmon oil, cod liver oil, flax oil (Though I read they do not absorb the EFA in it).

RON: Thank you for your idea! I have tons of chia seeds, can try that.

Have tried prepared raw food. Nah. Though one will eat raw organic chicken I purchase for myself. Just doesn’t eat enough to maintain.

Want to find a store that will chop organ meats for me to boil. I hate that kind of stuff, don’t even want it touching my cutting board. I guess I should be more dedicated and do it myself.

Just feeling lucky the cat with herpes virus likes coconut oil and chlorophyll, lysine sprinkled on her food. I think they, and sunshine (From window), help. Cat with asthma and other problems is picky, loves pumpkin–she needs the fiber for other problems and used to eat yogurt. I even tried Serrapeptase–anti-inflammatory–sprinkled on her food. Could not tell if it helped or not.

The search for their better health goes on! And that includes moving to a better place!

24. Robin says:

BEWARE: Canned tuna is bad for all creatures–has soy oil in it. Textured veg. protein, or ‘veg. oil’. Look at it. One type of one brand doesn’t. Bumble Bee. Gold can, white albacore in water. Expensive. Used to give it to my cats, small amount, as treat. Then they just got tired of it.

25. Kyle says:

Woah! VitC can cause blockage? Wrong,wrong,wrong! urine blocking crystals are caused by excess ash,ie, too much alkalinity. Whenever my old cat had a blockage I could fix his condition (without an expensive catheterization at the Vet’s) by giving him dissolved VitC. Worked every time for years.

26. Missy says:

I can only get 2 od my 6 cats to eat raw meat, so I cook chicken and beef and add a little oatmeal to solidify all the food together. I also add cans of salmon and sardines and tuna with water. Once in a while I’ll add pumpkin and I’m thinking of adding broccoli too. It took a couple of days for my old cats to get hungry enough to eat it. My rescued feral cast is super picky and she must eat it when I’m not looking because she is getting fat! Not only is this healthier but cheaper too. I’m going to try some of these suggestions I’ve read!

27. Leostar says:

Vickie and anyone who wants to improve the health of their cat. I give my cats ‘Cell Food’ by Lumina Health. You can just put a few drops in their water & they’ll drink it. If the cat is really sick, you can put some in water in a syrnge & give short squirts into mouth. My friend whose cat has diabetes & almost stopped eating, was brought back to health by these amazing products. She used the spray vitamin on her too. They contain dissolved oxygen, trace minerals, amino acids & enzymes. She also gave kitty an organic dewormer.

28. Max Tuck says:

I usually don’t comment on raw feeding for pets, only humans. However since I am an MRCVS (British equivalent of DVM) as well as a Hippocrates Health Educator, trained in Florida, I believe I am well qualified to speak about supplementation.
    Best food supplement for cats is Pet Plus. Made in USA, sold in UK via http://www.petplusvet.com
    Also available for dogs. I have no marketing ties to this company, but the food supplement was developed by a great friend of mine (also a vet).
    Whatever you choose to supplement with, ensure that it is not individual isolated ingredients, only whole food based, processed at low temperatures to preserve its nutritional integrity. Vitamin C is not needed in the diet of any mammal except the guinea pig, fruit bat and human. Therefore supplementing dogs and cats with Vit C is unnecessary. Think “whole food” with any supplements you consider, for yourselves and your pets. Also look for scientific research to back it up, including bioavailability studies if available.

29. kasse says:

DEAR KEVIN – PLEASE SHARE!!!

Yes, hopefully we have your attention now – LOL –
    so, please share with us the brand name for the organic grain-free canned food you give to Johnny-5 !!!

We have been searching for organic grain-free canned cat food and not successful….
    *********************
    Many thanks – and congratulations to you and AnnMarie on your new addition to the family!!

30. Sun~Rose says:

While cats are carnivores, there are many vegan cats.

How healthy can any canned animal food be? And are the cans aluminum.

We had a wonderful cat that ate the dogs Natural Balance vegan food, whatever he found in the way of food outside (I presume) and loved melon and avocado.

He was always healthy, sleek, and beautiful until the day he disappeared.

Someone was trapping cats around here and he was not the only one who disappeared. He was a great and mellow cat.

One winter he was suddenly gone for 3-4 days when we’d had a lot of snow. I was worried for him, and watched this video about someone sommunicating mental with animals. So I sat quiet, and asked where he was, and immediately heard: “I’m in the basement. I came in the open window and the snow blocked up and I can’t get out!”

There he was curled up snooing by the warm boiler. And no worse for his involuntary fast.

We miss him a lot.

p.s. the dogs do awesome on vegan food, some bagged (see above) and what I make. Dogs are omnivores. They love carrots (their ‘bones’)

There must be many vegan dogs or Natural Balqance wouldn’t be making it. The obly ingredients I don’t like are the canola oil and pearled barley.

And fresh ground flax seed for omega-3’s is tasty.

31. Sun~Rose says:

Sorry for the bad typing!

32. Karen says:

Wow, what a touching video. Love it!

I give my cat Pet Plus powder each morning, mixed in with her wet food. I also give her good quality pure water, which I think is important too. She is bright-eyed, calm and affectionate, playful and has lovely soft fur.

33. Em says:

Awwww Grandpa! Cream Puff! No wonder that guy’s cats live so long –they get tons of pure love!!! What are great video, thank you 🙂

34. chris harriosn says:

I highly recommend a book called ‘Pet Allergies’ by a real vet of the name Alfred J. Pletchner. As I recall from my reading of the book he was able to cure 80% of feline leukemia cases, etc., by his introspection and methods. There’s much good and needed information in the book. I think it was written in 1977. My copy is buried here somewhere but it can be purchased through Amazon, I see, if only in used copy; cheap too. Great for dog companions too. Also if you dig a bit you can find great natural raw food recipes for cats on the net. Required is a meat and bone grinder such as (one of the best for this purpose) the Tasin TS 108, one of which I have and would sell (barely used) to anyone that would like to begin making their own raw cat or dog food. chrish435@q.com

35. Loved the video! but I don’t use supplements. I give my cats raw milk, anyway Thanks for idea about sardines!

36. WENDY says:

HELLO, I HAVE BEEN DOING RESEARCH ON MY CATS’ DIET AND HAVE SLOWLY TRANSITIONED THEM TO A RAW DIET, BUT I NOTICE WITH SOME OFT HE SUPPLEMENTS OUT THERE CONTAIN GARLIC, AND YET IT IS NOT SAFE FOR YOUR FELINES..
    CAN YOU SEND ME SOME THOUGHT ON THAT? THANK YOU…WENDY

37. sula says:

This video was too precious for words_ such a great man and such a great accomplishment.

I look after 28 cats and have tended to 46 in the last five years~ they are all, in essence, outdoor cats and offspring of uncatchable feral mothers~ some are untouchable and quite a few are ‘domesticated’ in a way as well as speyed. I let them in in the winter when the owner is away. We live by woodland miles from most places and they all potter off to their favourite turf during the day and blow in when they feel like it.

feeding so many cats is a challenge and sometimes the cupboards get a bit bare~ but everyone comments on how very healthy they look I figure their environment has a lot to do with it~ as well as the fact that they are quite lightly fed. if I had the means I would definitely feed them a raw food diet and as often as I can I get scraps of meat and duck carcass. You only have to watch them in action when this appears to know they are so definitely obligate carnivores and I doubt that in truth there is one fully vegan cat~ they are voracious and brilliant hunters and get on with it when you are not looking.

So~ supplements- because there are so many that is mostly a no no…I have use grains and other things~ but would not with a small number of cats. i cook in seaweed and use crushed pumpkin seeds – and occasionally worm with diatomaceous earth which I also rub into fur to combat fleas- this worked with an infestation this summer coupled with lemon herb soap bars left in the bed ( fleas apparently hate the smell)… Tuna is small quantities is o.k actually especially to whet a failing appetite- i have used it to encourage an ailing cat to eat and then graduated them back into other food.

I have treated several kittens with Cat Flu with homeopathic remedies~ and a product called Cell Vitality and some Citricidal extract added to the drinking water and also homeopathic nosodes added in the winter sniffle season. . It usually clears up in a couple of days, even when they sleep outdoors.

I have also used occasional Vit C and occasional greens powder and turmeric powder mixed in with food ( or sometimes cat milk with turmeric and a bit of coconut butter- with some warm water added in the winter ) I don’t do this on a day to day basis- I go by the weather and how the cats seem to be. Whenever I can I get what I consider to be a good quality product for the price ( in this case Smilla, often grain free) sometimes I have to go downmarket on choices- par for the course given the number. Actually the cats eat better than i do and I have often used up the last of what I have for me if they are hungry. In my experience eggs contribute to diarrheoa but can help clear furball- and although cats will lap up cow milk it does not do their guts any favours.

The most inspiring and simple home cooked food recommendations I found on http://www.catinfo.org a completely unpretentious site of a dedicated vet with masses of experience who warns staunchly against kibble. i do use kibble when it is that or nothing, but always moisten it and add meat.

Recently I bought a bottle of Pet Protect drops as the current kittens have been slow to shake off the sniffles. This seems to be helpful. In my experience slipping any pill to a cat is an unmitigated nightmare- if I have learned anything from being around so many cats~ it is that they have their own profound intuition and self healing abilities. When they eat so much grass that they throw up that is deliberate~ and they know how to choose for themselves. Their greatest challenge is poor food- something I learned the hard way~ with a most beautiful cat who had Megacolon~ something I have never heard of but is incredibly common.

THere is a lovely animal healing site by a woman called Elizabeth Whiter ( http://www.elizabethwhiter.com) ~ as well as teaching animal healing she also has several recipes for food she makes for cats and dogs, including herb infused oils you can make yourself~ and leave for your pets to ‘self select’ from~ as this is such an important faculty to keep intact.

Anyway- I hope some of this is useful~ multi cat scenarios are quite an event~ 🙂

38. mk says:

I feed my cats ( and my dog) on a raw diet as close to what they would eat in the wild as I can get. I make a mix of finely chopped and blended vegetables with lots of wild greens, add a little ground seeds, a little oil and let it ferment for a few days. The animals have this and raw meat or fish in chunks including the bones. Sometimes I find a rabbit or squirrel or other small creature as roadkill and they enjoy those just as they come.
    The supplements I give them are powdered seaweed, garlic and cider vinegar.
    I don’t where you get the statement about garlic being bad for them. I find it helps prevent parasite infestation and have fed it to many generations of cats, dogs, hens and goats with only beneficial results, certainly never has any of them been anaemic.
    I have never vaccinated any animal, never had a sick one and only ever been to a vet when one of them has had an accident.
    I would thoroughly recommend a book by Juliette de Bairacli Levy called “The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat”. As with humans, good diet, clean air, clean water, exercise and love keeps them healthy an long lived.

39. mk says:

I forgot to add that if you have a herb patch the cats (and dog) will help themselves to what they need