Does Your Toothpaste Have These Toxins? : Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Wednesday Jun 27 | BY |

Yes, you need to brush your teeth,
but could your toothpaste be doing more harm than good?

You may already be watching out for sulfates in your shampoos and petroleum products in your body lotions, but have you thought about toxins in your toothpaste?

It’s true that many of today’s common toothpastes may have potentially harmful chemicals that you wouldn’t want to accidentally swallow. Here are the details, and how you can find safer alternatives.

Triclosan
You’ve probably seen it in your antibacterial soap, but a lot of other products are now carrying this ingredient—including soaps, makeup, deodorants, clothing, and yes, many toothpastes. This antibacterial and antifungal agent gives a lot of cleaning products their ability to boast about killing germs and bacteria, though the ingredient has no effect on viruses.

Thing is, according to an FDA report in 2005, there is no evidence that antibacterial products protected people any better than regular soap and water. So we don’t really need this ingredient in all these products. But we’re getting it anyway. According to research published in 2007, about three-quarters of us have the chemical in our system. Researchers analyzed over 2,500 urine samples from the 2003-2004 National Health and Nutritional Examination Survey (NHANES) and detected triclosan in 74.6 percent of them. Worse, several scientific studies have shown that it’s actually not good for us, or for the environment.

• Allergies: According to a study by the School of Public Health, young people who are overexposed to antibacterial soaps containing triclosan may suffer more allergies and hay fever. Researchers also noted that triclosan may play a role in changing the microorganisms to which we’re exposed in such a way that the immune system in childhood is affected.
  • Thyroid: An animal study published in 2009 concluded that triclosan exposure significantly impacts thyroid hormone concentrations in young males. These results confirmed those from a 2006 animal study that found that exposure to low levels of triclosan disrupts thyroid hormone-associated gene expression and can alter the rate of thyroid hormone-mediated early development.
  • Endocrine disruptor: The FDA has expressed concern about this ingredient, specifically whether or not it disrupts the body’s endocrine (hormone) system and whether it helps to create bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.
  • Contamination: Because it’s chemical structure is similar to dioxin, which is a carcinogenic chemical, there is some concern that triclosan could become contaminated with dioxins during manufacturing. A recent study found that when the chemical was exposed to ultraviolet light, a type of dioxin formed.
  • Environment: Scientists are now calling for the removal of triclosan from consumer products because it’s building up in the ocean’s food web. A 2009 study found that one-third of the bottlenose dolphins tested off South Carolina and almost one-quarter of those tested off Florida carried traces of triclosan in their blood. The concentrations found in the dolphins are known to disrupt hormones and growth and development of other animals. The ingredient washes down the drain, ends up in the sewer plants, and then goes into freshwater or oceans along the coasts. Triclosan also builds up in fatty tissues, passing from animal to animal and back to humans.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
The same ingredient that creates that foaming feel in your shampoo is also found in most toothpastes. A harsh cleanser, it doesn’t affect some people, but studies have shown that it can increase the risk of mouth ulcers (canker sores). According to the Mayo Clinic, toothpastes and mouth rinses containing SLS can trigger canker sores. The ingredient is damaging and drying, and can disrupt the surface of tender tissues in the mouth, making them vulnerable to irritants.

Artificial Dyes
FD&C Blue #1 & 2. See them in your toothpaste ingredient list? Recent studies have shown that these dyes can trigger behavioral and learning products, and may also cause severe allergic reactions, headaches, fatigue, and nervousness. A 2007 British study found that artificial colors can increase hyperactivity in kids.

Hydrated Silica
Primarily used as an abrasive in toothpaste, this ingredient can harm tooth enamel over time. Made from a crystallized compound found in quartz, sand, and flint, this ingredient scratches the surface of the tooth, and can prevent the re-mineralization that naturally occurs as the tooth rebuilds itself. Particularly for those with tooth sensitivity, receding gums, and gum disease should avoid this ingredient.

Fluoride
Numerous studies have shown fluoride to help prevent dental cavities. There is some research, however, that indicates a potential association between communities with high fluoride levels (in the water) and a higher risk of bone fractures. More studies are needed, however, to determine the true risk. Other studies have indicated the potential for fluoride to increase risk of dementia and thyroid function, though these came from ingesting fluoridated water. Getting a water filter made particularly to remove fluoride may help, and if you’re concerned, there are many fluoride-free toothpastes available.

Better Alternatives
Instead of taking risks that your toothpaste will contain potentially harmful ingredients, read labels, avoid these items, and go with natural and organic brands. Look for natural cleaners, whiteners, and nourishing ingredients like baking soda, calcium, aloe, tea tree oil, organic tapioca starch, essential oils, xylitol, and zinc.

What toothpaste do you use? Do you have a favorite natural brand? Please share with our readers.

* * *

Photo courtesy newsusacontent via Flickr.com.

Sources
Laura Bailey, “Study suggests that being too clean can make people sick,” News Service, University of Michigan, http://ur.umich.edu/1011/Dec06_10/1837-study-suggests-that.

Erin M. Rees Clayton, et al., “The Impact of Bisphenol A and Triclosan on Immune Parameters in the U.S. Population, NHANES 2003-2006,” Environmental Health Perspectives, 119(3), March 2011, http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1289%2Fehp.1002883.

Leah M. Zorrilla, et al., “The Effects of Triclosan on Puberty and Thyroid Hormones in Male Wistar Rats,” Toxicol. Sci. (2009) 107(1): 56-64, http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/content/107/1/56.short.

Nik Veldhoen, et al., “The bacterial agent triclosan modulates thyroid hormone-associated gene expression and disrupts postembryonic anurin development,” Aquatic Toxicology 80 (2006), 217-227, http://www.beyondpesticides.org/antibacterial/environmental/Triclosan%20modulates%20thyroid%20hormone.pdf.

Antonia M. Calafat, “Urinary Concentrations of Triclosan in the U.S. Population: 2003-2004, Environmental Health Perspectives, 2008 March; 116(3): 303-307, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2265044/.

Brett Israel, “Germ-killing chemical from soaps, toothpaste building up in dolphins,” Environmental Health News, August 11, 2009, http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/news/triclosan-and-dolphins.

Lyndsey Layton, “FDA says studies on triclosan, used in sanitizers and soaps, raise concerns,” The Washington Post, April 8, 2010, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/07/AR2010040704621.html.

1. Melissa says:

Dr Mercola or Kingfisher are good brands to trust that will not have any nasties

2. Dennis says:

I use virgin coconut oil plus baking soda as toothpaste or brush directly with a miswak.

3. Brandi says:

I use Auromere, Fresh Mint. It’s an Ayurvedic formula toothpaste that leaves my teeth feeling great. My only concern is that it lists SLS in coconut oil form, so I’m not sure if that’s okay or not.

4. shine says:

i use food grate hydro peroxide, zeolite paste or living libations products

5. Deb says:

Dr. Bronner’s peppermint soap and, occasionally, baking soda.

6. Robin says:

I use Toms Of Maine because some types have no fluoride….. They have made changes in packaging in the past couple of years, I just discovered it has SLS in it! I think I would have noticed that if they had had it all along. Disappointing to have to search for something new and easily accessible!

Can you provide a list of healthy toothpastes? Or recipes?

7. monique says:

I’m using Earthpaste. Was using Tom’s of Maine, but knew there had to be something better.

8. Sigrid Aronsson says:

I make the Herbal Tooth powder by Dr. Christopher. It is so good. The exact formula can be found as with all Dr. Christopher formulas. Nothing is hidden away or kept secret. There is a huge book with wonder formulas. See http://www.christopherwebsites.com for books or to buy some ready made ones.

9. Dr Dorothy says:

All natural ingredients – Melaleuca Tooth Polish – Fights tartar, removes plaque, freshens breath and whitens.

10. Diane says:

Living Libations carries a whole line of non-toxic dental products: http://www.livinglibations.com/body-care/tooth-care

11. Dawn says:

Baking soda to clean and then floss finished by a rinse of colloidal silver works for me! I occasionally use Dr Christophers tooth powder as well.

12. kat says:

I use water.

13. Alison says:

I use a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of baking soda in a pint of warm water. It kills pyrohea, remineralizes your teeth, and will even pop out shallow fillings.

14. Frank says:

We use Celtic sea salt, harvested by hand in France, along the coast of Normandy, in combination with virgin coconut oil. The salt contains 84 minerals and trace elements. Coconut oil is anti viral and anti bacterial. The minerals and trace elements are absorbed by your cheek mucous membrane and spread through your system and are used as the building bricks of your body.
    Last time I was at the dentists, he was amazed about the results.

15. Jen says:

I follow the Successful Self-Dentistry protocol by Nardine Artemis & her Living Libations products.
    My teeth are whiter than ever (aside from childhood),
    and feel as clean as they do just after a cleaning at the dentist’s office!

16. suz says:

If the toothpaste has glycerin as one of the ingredients, it will prevent teeth from re-mineralizing. A dental hygenist, who wrote a book on alternative healing stated, that it is important to remove plaque everyday for which she uses baking soda.

17. mia says:

Earthpaste! I have it in wintergreen & it is awesome. Tastes amazing and leaves my teeth pearly white. Glycerin free as well.

18. kathryn says:

I use Tropical Traditions Teeth Cleaner it’s coconut oil, myrrh, baking soda, stevia and essential oils, you could make your own like Dennis which I will do next time.

19. I like Green Beaver, frosty mint flavor. It makes my teeth white and breath fresh and it’s without all those culprits.

20. Debra Woods says:

Eco-Dent Original Mint tooth powder. I’ve used the cheapest toothpaste I could find (usually Colgate) for years and always ALWAYS had bleeding gums. Within a few days of switching to Eco-dent, the bleeding stopped. What also stopped was that fuzzy feeling on my teeth that would develop overnight and worsen during the day, and bad morning breath. Whatever was in the cheapy toothpaste was growing bacteria on my teeth and gums. Switching produced such dramatic and quick results. When I looked at my teeth in a magnifying mirror, I was surprised to see spaces between my teeth I had never seen before – I guess because my gums had been swollen for so long, now that they weren’t swollen, I had space instead! One thing I like about this tooth powder is the natural effervescent effect without the SLS

21. I use Forever Living’s Forever Brite Tooth Gel. It has been very effective for me.

22. weavermomo says:

Auromere and Kingfisher, Forever Living all have SLS and glycerin. Green Beaver has glycerin which deminerlizes your teeth. Living Libations & Earthpaste are the best mentioned here. Also, Coral White is fantastic no SLS or glycerin either been using it a long time.

23. Megan says:

Can I see a picture of your teeth?

24. Jacky says:

My grandmother got me started on baking soda and salt as a tiny girl ( I am 75 now) a DDS said the salt was too abrasive so I just use soda and have for years. And I go to a biological DDS.

25. Isa says:

I use Tooth & Gum Paste.
    Contains;Calcium Carbonate,Deionized Water,Vegetable Glycerine!:/,Titanium Dioxide,Sodium Carrageenan?,Kaolin,Gum Cellulose,Extracts of Echinacea Angustofolia,Echinacea Purpurea,Gotu Kola,and Green Tea,Pure Essential Oil of Peppermmint,Red Thyme,Cinnamon Bark,Eucalyptus Globulus and Lavender,Plant Saponins.
    Sodium Carrageenan makes me nervous…is this the same as another Carrageenan found in some food and promoting cancer?

Please let me know if any of those OK!?:}

My Holistic Dentist recommended it and uses it.I have Gum desease,peridontal.It has help my gums besides office dental deep cleaning and laser weeks after weeks and my home care.It has refreshed and cleaned wonderfully and even my teeth are little whiter(were always yellow;my 9 years olde boy too,even with constant brushing).I have a very strict cleaning regiment with the associated products of the same brand.A rinse and a concentrated paste for water flossing machine.I had used Oxyfresh in the past and although I liked it this product surpass it and keeps my mouth very clean,fresh and moist.There is no foaming going on either in that tooth paste and very little goes a long way.Baking Soda added to that as well once a week.
    Thanks for sharing!

26. Carol says:

I just started using Auromere. However with my receding gums and exposed roots I realize the silica and glycerin are abrasive for my teeth and prevent mineralization. So I guess I better stop this one.
    The best is the tooth soap that Kevin sells here but I am out it and an order could take a while. thanks for the idea of baking soda and Dr. Bronners soap and virgin coconut oil. I can find those things around here.

27. Steve says:

I use OraWellness, the stuff is great, leaves my mouth so clean and fresh. and it’s all organic natural ingredients, no toxins.

28. Anna K. says:

I use Tate’s The Natural Miracle toothpaste.
    Ingredients: Mountain spring water, Calcium Carbonate, Clove Stem, Birch Tree Extract, Eucalyptus Leaf Oil, and Papaya Extract.
    Ourtatefamily.com

29. Annie M. says:

I use Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil toothpaste, with a couple of drops of Doterra On Guard Oil. The On Guard has Wild Orange, Cinnamon, Clove Eucalyptus, and Rosemary essential oil in it, and the toothpaste has essential oils in it too. I love it, and it kills any bad bacteria in your mouth!

30. Ly Miz says:

trader joe’s is amazing!

31. Cassandra says:

I often wonder when I see people complain about glycerin where they get this information. I have yet to find a scientific study that says that glycerin causes any damage or allows anything else to cause damage. All I have read is what others have repeated but without documentation. In my personal experience, glycerin is great for holding things that can mineralize the teeth on the teeth so that they have a chance to do so before they are washed away by saliva. As far as I can tell, it does not stop the saliva from doing its job either but allows the saliva to deposit minerals in the glycerin to be put in the teeth. Chemically this seems quite possible with my very small understanding of these bonds and stuff. If a chemist would like to chime in that would be nice. I would be very happy to see some scientific documentation on what glycerin really does.

32. Susan says:

I’ve been using a product called OraWellness brushing blend for a while. I found their website from Natural News I think and tried it. It’s only oils, so that took a bit to get used to but it’s all organic which I really prefer. It’s great.

33. I USE COCONUT OIL FOR A MOUTH WASH OR A GARGLE AFTER BRUSHING MY TEETH WITH mulotti or LICORICE TUBE POWDER.
    I suffered from severe pain for a week from tooth ache, teeth falling, and cavities, and broken sharp edged tooth.
    As usual I suffer, I learn and I repair my body and never went to a doc or hosp for the past 30 yrs.
    I DO NOT RECOMMEND AYURVEDIC TOOTH PASTES:
    white salt or white sugar content added is a severe poison and it is not mentioned by the proponents of ayurveda when they wrote their books. THIS IS A CORRUPTED PRACTICE.
    Your tooth decays, cavities appear and enamel will wear out, if you regularly use baking soda, white salt, white sugar added pastes or even if you lie down sick to sleep for a few hours after DRINKING COUGH SYRUP that contains white sugar…..
    LIFE IS EASY BUT THESE MFRRS ARE RECKLESS IN DISCIPLINED AND AGAINST WELFARE OF PEOPLE AND SURVIVE ON MEDIA ATTACK AND BRAINWASH OF THE PPLE.
    d.parameswaran
    facebook.com/sunflowerdance
    WITH PLENTY OF HEALTH DISCUSSIONS AND TIPS.

34. Jackie says:

I use a toothpaste from a company called Neways. Started using it in 2007. It doesn’t have the chemical nasties in it and has stopped my ulcers (cankers) in my mouth. My children use it (8 and 4) and do not have any fillings in their teeth and have lovely teeth. It doesn’t contain fluoride, SLS, or other questionables in it.

35. lynni says:

TO CASSANDRA:

I think this exerpt from an article on “Dental Health” with a
    ‘Letter from Gerard F. Judd, Ph.D., Chemist, Researcher for 18 years and Professor of Chemistry for 33 yrs – April 2002’
    is why people avoid glycerin

“…we started using the soap to clean our teeth instead of toothpaste after we read an article showing the dangers of the glycerine, fluorine, and aluminum bauxite that is in regular toothpaste. The article recommended using just soap instead. Although it took a while to get used to soap instead of toothpaste we noticed a difference in how our mouth felt afterwards and how gums seemed to be much healthier. We didn’t really know the “why” until this article below came along…

‘A great amount of REPUTABLE DENTAL RESEARCH proves the following:…

4. Teeth reenamalize when clean. TO MAKE TEETH CLEAN ONE BRUSHES WITH ANY BAR SOAP. (There are good toothpastes at the health food stores. Check the ingredients
    before buying. Don’t get anything with glycerine in it.)

Soap washes off in just 2 rinses. What about toothpastes?
    Glycerine in all tooth pastes is so sticky that it takes 27 washes to get it off. Teeth brushed with any toothpaste are coated with a film and CANNOT PROPERLY REENAMELIZE’…”

For the complete article, see:

Hope this answers your query “I often wonder when I see people complain about glycerin where they get this information.”

36. Anna says:

I use aurvedic toothpaste and also soda with peroxide and lemon juce . Read about it in Russian book ( I am from Russia) a d this recepie was given as ” American ” so it goes like this: about 1 teaspoon soda ( I use non-aluminum one) 6 drops of 3% peroxide ( I use food grade ) and same amount of fresh lemon juice . For those who has gum problem it’s gonna be a little bit difficult in the beginning but soon when healing starts you will fell fine . Great whitening effect ! I also use water pick only with peroxide . Great cleaning effect especially around crowns .

37. Anna says:

I’d like to make a correction to last info – I use a peroxide in the water for irrigation not pure peroxide , about table spoon or so for cup of water .

38. Nancy says:

I use Young Living’s Thieves Dentarome Ultra toothpaste…. I feel the best toothpaste in the world… my friend just had a full body thermography scan and they told her that she was the first person to come through their clinic with a crystal clear head…. they asked her what she has been doing…. she has several silver fillings and this was such a shock to them…. because as we all know mercury leaches out of these fillings into our body…… she uses this toothpaste, the Thieves mouth wash, the thieves dental floss….. and the Thieves mouth spray… these are UNBELIEVABLE products…. with the best therapeutic oils in the world… it is scientifically tested tried and the real deal….. go on the young living website and check out the ingredients…. if you have problems with that …. go on mine…..

Nancy

39. Lisa says:

You forgot ‘Glycerine’… it keeps your teeth from remineralizing and can take up to 20 washes to get it off of them. I use eco-dent, it builds the enamel and helps whiten them with minerals.. 🙂

40. Sandra says:

I use Good Gums, http://www.good-gums.com and/or Uncle Harrys 100% Natural Tooth Powder, http://www.uncleharrys.com. Uncle Harrys is made right here in the Seattle area. Neither have any “baddies”. Just lovely, natural ingredients!

41. Ivet says:

I use ionic toothbrush [Soladey or dr Tung’s]no toothpaste needed just water-great results.

42. Mario says:

Since 2004 I use Sun Smile from Sunrider. Absolutely awesome, and no poison in it, just herbal power. And the best everyone can make money with it.

43. Donna says:

we have started using baking soda with a little water and a drop of peppermint oil.
    Once a week, a little lemon juice is added for whitening.

44. I have been using Avena’s ‘Tooth Oil’ for over 18 years. It is refreshing and invigorating. A complete dental care in one bottle. Free from all toxins, fluoride, surfactants, sweeteners, abrasive chalks and baking soda which wears down the enamel. Our ‘Tooth Oil’ replaces potentially abrasive tooth care products, effectively breaks down plaque and tarter on contact.

Synergistically and ‘Electrically’ Formulated®, ‘Tooth Oil’ promotes healthy teeth and gums, helping your body to heal and prevent oral disease conditions such as gingivitis. It provides 100% inter dental access—where tooth brushes can’t reach—protection where you need it the most!

Apply 3-4 drops on tooth brush, brush teeth and swallow without rinsing. Provides refreshing breath and swallowing the tooth oil helps digestion. A bottle will last up to 3 months.

Available from our site: http://www.ProvenHealthSolutions.net

We also have a comprehensive ‘Educational Health’ package which addresses all illnesses and teaches how to eliminate cancer within a short period of time.

Just e-mail: LeadingEdgeHealth@shaw.ca or call (1-250-220-1262)with your mailing address and we will send it out.

Louis Hoolae HR ACS

45. MsRoss says:

I have gone through several of the brands found in my local health food store, but have been using Desert Essence: Natural Tea Tree Oil & Neem, wintergreen. I do like it and it seems to have the right ingredients and minus the bad ones Kevin wrote about. I too have fooled around with a few “home-made” remedies that I have liked. Reading down through the comments left, I am encouraged to try some of my old recipes again! FYI – I have had problems in the past with mouth ulcers, and lately have been free of that problem. I never thought about it, but have been putting organic coconut oil on my face,etc. after showering. I wonder if that has had some unexpected positive impact after reading the comment from: “Frank,6:17 pm on June 30th, 2012” above.

46. Lorien says:

I make my own with equal parts neem oil & either olive oil or grapeseed oil with an essential oil thrown in to cover the taste of the neem. Healed my gums up after 30 years of bad road. After reading the comments I’m going to try adding salt and using coconut oil.

47. Mist says:

I like using Eco-dent toothpowder, hydrogen peroxide (1.5%) and baking soda, liquid soap (Everyday Shea) mixed with water and peppermint oil, Peelu Dental Fibers, mouth rinse (1.5% hydrogen peroxide or water mixed with either borax, baking soda or Epsom salt), and oil (sesame,sunflower or coconut) for oil pulling.

48. Daisy says:

I have sensitive teeth from receeding gums. Just a few days of not using the sensitive toothpaste has me back using it because of the pain. How do you remineralize your teeth as quickly as possible and what can I do for the pain meantime?

49. Olympia says:

Brilliant Kevin for blasting an important subject – oral health. It’s the pinnacle to overall health in so many ways so it’s crucial we look after our oral health. Ive tried so many things…now I’m settled. From botanical toothpastes, ayervedic -yuk, young living dentarome – not for me, to always go back to the classic mum reminded me of “salt” – I used mineral type salt -hymalayan pink salt for quite a while and let it sit overnight on my gums very often to remineralise my body through the gums. I used bi carb often, excellent for whitening and clean effect of bad breath or tongue residue, then I moved into also mixing Miracle II soap just as of curiosity. It does wonders for so many things so I diluted it and would sanitise my toothbrush and at the end of a bicarb brushing I would use it, it was great and totally natural and full of mineralising etc. Then I got myself onto the new WInSmile toothpaste which is an Anion and Mineral Salt toothpaste. Totally safe totally natural, totally all in one – badd breath, bleeding gums, whitening, periodontal disease, gum disease on and on… with anions i.e.. negative ions going back into the mouth,gums and body. The best in all combined. Instead of using many ingredients separately, I now use the all-in-one oral health & hygiene solution that WinSmile gives and use the Miracle II Soap dilution mix to sanitise my toothbrush in between brushes. Satisfied at last!
    There’s a decent right up for it here

50. Dee says:

I use Nadine Artemis’ products at livinglibations.com.

51. Cassandra says:

@Lynni – I am aware of the information you posted that claims to be from a Dr. Judd. I even tried to contact Dr. Judd but never got any reply. I don’t even know if he is still alive. In the information posted, none of it is backed up by any scientific paper or study. While much of makes sense and even some of it has been backed up by the research from others, there is no proof cited in this document. And as far as I can tell, the information claimed has been repeated and repeated on many different sites without any one questioning the claims. It is the only document I have found that makes the claim about glycerin. It appears to me all the claims about glycerin not being good are based on this document. Just because this Mr. Judd claims to be a Dr. and a chemist makes little difference if it can’t be proven especially if no ones knows him personally. Perhaps Kevin could search him out and ask him to show his credentials 🙂 and the primary documentation for his claims, especially since very few of his claims can be verified scientifically. Many may wonder why I am being so picky about this. So many things float around the Net and are repeated verbatim (or not) and people start accepting the claims as if they were real simply because every ones claims it. Facebook is particularly bad for quotes esp when the quotes are used to support a personal agenda, e.g., Albert Einstein appears to have said many things that I actually recall being said by someone else or not quite in that way. I think this is the case here as well. Something as simple as glycerin has been vilified without anyone questioning it, plus it helps sell tooth soap. Personally I use Dr. Christopher’s tooth powder and Weleda toothpastes some of which have glycerin and I cannot see that it takes brushing 27 times to get rid of the glycerin on my teeth. Does this mean strokes or what? Regardless of the glycerin I have used, my teeth have managed to remineralize just fine to the point of some cavities reversing with the help of salt-water washing and oil pulling.

52. Jeff says:

I use ToothSoap, works well.

53. lynni says:

@ CASSANDRA:

I simply responded to your query,

by supplying a source from which that info seems to come from.

I thought I was being helpful but apparently you already knew the answer to your own expressed ‘wondering’.

54. mari says:

For a more in-depth & revealing look at glycerin to help determine whether or not you want it in your toothpaste, see:

which does include a small dental research study using glycerin, as well as what it is, how it is made, why it is in toothpaste, as well as a good, simple, easy recipe for home-made toothpaste.

55. Cassandra says:

@lynni I was actually hoping that there was some other source than this one. I did not mean to sound condescending – it was just a burst of frustration so please forgive me if I hurt your feelings. I know you were just trying to help and I appreciate it.

I found this same document verbatim on another website years ago. It only confirms my wondering that maybe this seems to be the source of some of these strange and unproven ideas. Maybe Kevin can find something else since he very into scientific studies and finding hard proof for stuff. (Kevin are you reading this?)

56. lynni says:

CASSANDRA-

thanks for the clarification.
    i think we can all identify with your frustration. its a confusing world of conflicting &/or mis-information out there & even with back-up research the resulting conclusions of today often prove out to be wrong tomorrow leaving one very perplexed on what to do. i guess the best we can do is balance the research & other data with our best common sense, our deepest intuition, & our own personal experience…then pray for the best!
    Namaste 🙂

57. Cassandra says:

@lynni – Exactly!

58. Em says:

I switched to Melalueca no fluoride tooth polish a long time ago….and now if I run out and need to use regular, I absolutely can’t stand the taste/texture/smell. It seems so artificial to me now that I stopped using it.

59. I use fairy washing up liquid it’s wonderful stuff and it filled all my cavities up and make my mouth feel fresh after use try this brilliant stuff and get some salt and water and gaggle with it

60. tina says:

hello, can anyone answers me with proper references

currently I am using a toothpaste , the only toothpaste in Malaysia I guess which is free of sls, but yet this contains silica. is all silica dangerous or hydrated ones only which is detrimental to my sensitive teeth coz I have sensitive teeth .