How to Delay or Stop Hair Loss—Naturally : Exclusive Renegade Health Article

Friday Apr 27 | BY |

Researchers found that onion juice, when regularly massaged into the scalp, helped grow hair.

When the FDA released the prescription drug Propecia on the market to treat male pattern hair loss in 1997, many men thought they could finally put baldness behind them.

Then the reports came in of sexual side effects, including persistent erectile dysfunction.

Unfortunately, few other medical treatments exist for hair loss in both men and women. Rogaine is still one of the most popular, and has shown to help conserve hair, but only in some cases will it help regrow hair that has been lost. For many, the only other option is surgical hair transplants or wigs and hairpieces.

Are there any natural alternatives?

Stopping Hair Loss Before it Shows Up
In most cases, it’s best to start treating hair loss before it becomes generally noticeable. One of the first early signs that many people miss is when the hair starts to break easily. You may find more hair in your brush or comb. Your hair may feel dry or brittle. Eventually, you may notice a gradual thinning on the top of the head, or circular or patchy bald spots.

Early signs of hair loss can also differ slightly between men and women. Men typically notice more scalp and fewer hairs at the front hairline and the top of the crown. Women, on the other hand, may see a generalized thinning all over the head, or may notice that getting the hair to go where it should becomes more difficult.

Always check with your doctor, as some medications and medical conditions can affect hair growth. Otherwise, taking steps during the early stages will help to preserve the hair you have for a longer period of time—the best approach to putting off hair loss.

Steps to Take Early On

• Vitamins and Minerals: Deficiencies in vitamin B, zinc, iron, or calcium may show up on your head. Be sure you’re getting enough of these vitamins, and consider your medications. Birth control pills, for example, deplete your body of vitamin B.
  • Slow your biological clock. Hair loss is most often caused by changes in your genes that set off the graying/thinning process. Delay the aging in your body overall by eating a healthy diet, exercising, and consuming “super foods” like berries, garlic, and dark green vegetables.
  • Jojoba oil: Regularly massaging jojoba oil into the scalp may help to stimulate the hair follicles, plus it conditions the hair you already have, making it less likely to break. Other great oils for hair include emu, almond, coconut, and kalaya.
  • Have your thyroid checked. Hypothyroidism can cause hair to become brittle and break more easily.
  • Avoid over styling. Appliances that overheat your hair, chemical treatments, and over washing can all cause your hair to break and fall out prematurely. Try low and cool settings, and don’t dye your hair more than one or two shades its normal color.

Once you start to lose your hair, try these tips, effective in both men and women:

• Reduce DHT levels. Propecia works by inhibiting the action of the enzyme that converts the hormone testosterone into DHT, which is believed to be responsible for murdering hair. (Note: testosterone is the “male” hormone, but both men and women have it.) Natural alternatives believed to do the same thing include green tea, stinging nettle, saw palmetto (the best-known natural DHT-blocker), pygeum extract, emu oil and pumpkin seed oil.
  • Consider L-Lysine. Early research has found that L-Lysine may make drugs like Propecia more effective, so the addition of this supplement to your diet may make your natural DHT-inhibitors more effective, as well.
  • Control your blood sugar. The more insulin you have in your body, the more impact testosterone will make on your cells. To reduce the effects of testosterone, minimize your carbohydrate intake, and balance your blood sugar with whole foods.
  • Try spearmint tea. Research from the U. K. and Turkey suggest that drinking spearmint tea helped to reduce testosterone levels as well as improve the balance between follicle stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone, which may help in retaining hair.
  • Consider biotin. It’s crucial for nail and hair growth, and has no known side effects. Try five-to-eight milligrams a day.
  • Other potential herbs. Arnica, licorice, sage, safflower, and rosemary have been used over the years for hair loss. Try combining with almond oil, or create a tincture diluted with warm water and massage into the scalp for five-to-twenty minutes a day.
  • Get the blood flowing. Herbs and spices that can get the blood flowing to the scalp can help stimulate hair growth. Try massaging in some ginseng, ginkgo, and red pepper with your oil combinations.
  • Onion juice! A study published in the Journal of Dermatology found that when onion juice was massaged directly into the scalp twice daily for two months, participants began to experience hair growth after just two weeks, while renewed hair was apparent in 20 of 23 people at six weeks.

Do you have some natural remedies for hair loss? Please share!

* * *

Photo courtesy Natoora via Flickr.com.

1. carvacrol says:

Isn’t it better to be bald than smell of onions? And why do people get so hung up about going bald. Saves a fortune on hairdressers, shampoo, etc. And saves time in the shower.

2. Sarah says:

Tonya Zavasta has a hair tonic that many people swear by http://www.beautifulonraw.com Just thought I’d throw that out there, she does make some pretty good products.

3. Darlene says:

LOL carvacrol! Since my hairs down to my butt, I’m not worried about it. But I’ll take your comments into account if it falls out 🙂

4. zyxomma says:

All these suggestions are great. I have long, thick, beautiful hair, but my father was bald (just fringe at ear level) all my life. Good thing I never had sons (male pattern baldness is inherited from the mother).

Another suggestion to improve circulation: SLANT. Get on a slant board, with your feet 14-18″ above your head, for at least 15 minutes a day. It’s good for a host of other things, too, since your heart works against the force of gravity to get blood to the brain. It also prevents prolapse of the transverse colon (that’s the colonic hydrotherapist in me talking).

Health and peace.

5. Inger Elise says:

This is a product which has helped a lot of people getting their hair back:
    It works if the hair roots are still dorming, and I think it is, without competition.
    Take contact and I can give you an offer with a discount that you not otherwise can get.

Have a nice day

6. Mary Ann says:

I’ve had severe breakage for 5 years. I’m a Nutritional Consultant and manage a supplement store and have tried all of these suggestions. I’ve seen doctors and Trichologist and they have no idea why it’s happening. So frustrating….any other suggestions would be appreciated!

7. Mia says:

I have heard that Hou Shou Pian or Hou Shou Wu (something like that) is really good for hair and stops gray hair. Anyone have experience with this? :/

8. JoyPlisson says:

Beginning 20th century in Europe, a man prooved that putting your hair under a shower of cold water for a while, and then wrap your head nicely in a towel you keep for 30 minutes to warm up, every day, stimulates blood circulation and your hair grow again. He did it and it worked.
    Another way for married women : ask your husband to grab you by your hair and pull you around the house !!! euh…
    or do the pulling (in case you still have some!!!) of your skull yourself…
    JoyP

9. JoyPlisson says:

It has been prooved that putting your hair under a shower of cold water for a while, and then wrap your head nicely in a towel you keep for 30 minutes to warm up, every day, stimulates blood circulation and your hair grow again. He did it and it worked.
    this is perfectly moderate

10. Chris says:

Make your own Raw seed and nut milk with pumpkin,sunflower,hemp,almonds,walnuts,buckwheat(not wheat)flax,chia seeds.Maca could be added and primrose oil to help hormone balance. Mix and match,but always soak overnight or longer, Raw organic is best and spring water if available. Thinning hair requires a really broad spectrum of nutrients and quality fats. Also up those green leaves and vegis seaweeds and cultured foods. Bare foot, deep breathing, Earthwalking in Sun light for twenty minutes while thanking your body and hair for all they do can help alive fear of the future*

11. shirley says:

carvacrol, that’s ok if your a guy, I unfortunately am a woman with male pattern baldness.

12. Kaelian says:

My hair touches the floor and that’s even after cutting it a few times in my life, experiencing hypothyroidism from ages 15 to 19 (current age is 27), which I *ahem* overcame (don’t want to use the illegal “c” word, lest I’m sued by pharmaceutical company or something like that.) without medicine.

I’ve never taken anything special for hair growth but simply remained active, haven’t ingested junk since I was a child and never use commercial hygiene products. I go to bed at 22:30 and sleep VERY deeply until 02:30 (yes, that’s a.m.), and I’m a very mellow person despite very high energy. There are indeed some things that grate my nerves, but otherwise my stress levels are generally extremely low. If I MUST be categorised, then I can be called a raw fruitarian. That said, I’m not vegan, since I’ll ingest honey and use products made of wool, such as blankets or garments. I must add that I’ll eat certain non-fruits in situations where the fruits available are very limited, but I refuse adamantly to ingest animals, dairy, grains, eggs and cooked food. These things seriously nauseate me, and my body rejects them. Not a pretty sight.

Perhaps it’s worthwhile to note that I enjoy pau d’arco tonic. I use the word “tonic” since “tea” is a specific plant and not a type of beverage, although most people use the word “tea” to label a myriad of herbal decoctions. However, it’s purported that the bark of the pau d’arco tree produces a gelatinous substance which regrows hair when applied directly to the scalp. However, I can’t attest to this myself, since I don’t live anywhere near the native land of this tree, and I don’t grow it, haha.

13. Deb says:

Gary Null did a study of the effects of a total lifestyle approach to promote healthy hair and skin. Key components included diet, exercise, stress management, supplements, self actualization, and environment.

The study showed it is possible to reverse thinning and greying of hair. See

14. June says:

Hi Mia

I use Shou Wu Pain and they are excellent for preventing grey and I don’t take it at full dose. I think it has reversed some of my greys but not really sure. A side benefit is that it’s also good for the heart.
    Relatively cheap here in Australia so one I always use.
    June

15. Jewel says:

1000 mg daily citrus bioflavenoids stopped my hair and nails from breaking.

16. Gerry says:

My wife age 81 with Alzheimers and a background of numerous Rx. Now off of almost all Rx and with addition of Arginine for past year I notice that few months ago her hair loss (which was very heavy) has stopped. Possible the Arginine has improved blood flow to scalp as well as other improvements in her physical and mental health.

17. Julia says:

Mary Ann, number 6 above – you might want to look into malabsorption issues in the gut. Just taking a bunch of supplements won’t help if the body can’t make use of them. My hair falls out a lot, even though I have nice thick long hair. I discovered I have some serious gut issues and I’m now on the GAPS/SCD diet which really helps heal the gut well. I encourage you to research it and see if it’s right for you.

18. Michael says:

Check out

He started losing his hair at a young age and has been able to stop it. He now has adopted a diet mainly based off of the teachings of Ray Peat PhD. If anyone knows about John R. Lee, the guy who brought natural progesterone supplementation to the mainstream (or at least to mainstream alternative medicine), Ray Peat is the guy who John Lee learned about progesterone from.

On a side note about how thankful I am for discovering Peat’s work:
    I’ve used the information that I gathered from Peat to help control my sister-in-law’s endometriosis. She already had one of her ovaries removed and she was on the depo provera shot, but now is taking Kenogen (natural progesterone in vitamin e). She’s been off the shot for 3 months now and does not have any pain thanks to the progesterone and some dietary changes.

I prefer Kenogen vs the progesterone creams b/c you don’t have to worry about it building up in the fat tissues like you do with the creams; she just rubs in into her gums.

For those who have a little background in biochemistry or are just thirsty for knowledge, check out Ray’s site at raypeat.com.

19. Velda says:

I used to have incredibly thick hair. When I would go have my hair styled by a beautitian, and they would do it in an “up do”, it would get to the point where they would say “I just don’t quite know what to do with the rest of your hair”. Now, however, after many years of stress and thyroid issues, my hair is very thin. I am 64 years old and, even though I never thought I would say this, I miss my thick hair. If there was a natural way that I could get some of it back, I would do that :).

By the way, Kevin, if you decide to host a session of face reading in your area, I would sure be interested. Thanks,

20. LynnCS says:

Here we go again. You say to minimize your carbohydrate intake and “balance your diet with ‘whole’ foods.” What does that mean? There are only 3 macro nutrients. Are we supposed to go back to the Atkins diet. Fruits and vegis are carbs, aminos, and fats. Overt fats such as oils we know aren’t good. Animal products I don’t eat and wouldn’t want. They have nothing I can’t get in the plant world. What are the ‘whole foods’ you are referring to? I’m confused.

21. Trudy says:

Many of the recommendations given above are fully detailed in Riquette Holsteis’s “Grow Hair in 12 Weeks” book. I have implemented (most) of what she recommends and they do work really well! It’s a pain to make shampoo so I buy from her website http://www.riquette.com but the rest of the hair products, etc, I adapt from her book. The most difficult thing was to find someone to do her “Magic Haircut” but one I did, my thinning top of the head was gone in about 2 weeks…
    Don’t worry! It’s a short book to read!

22. Trudy says:

Whoops! I mean Hofstein!!

23. glenda says:

As Hulda Clark said, many are allergic to nickle which causes baldness found in eatware(fork knives and spoons) and perhaps other metal utensils.
    I used her eatware and my husbands hair, out lasted his brothers and his sons who did not listen (by 20 years or more). I didn’t know about metal cleanses and so he eventually lossed his hair by the age of 55.
    I don’t know if that would have saved it completely folks!

24. Rinnie says:

1 st person replied is a great duffer

25. mamatha says:

My sis is losing hair she has pcod problem periods regular dht problem is there a solution