How Is Tofu Made? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #932

Friday Apr 20 | BY |

Ever wonder how tofu is made?

In this video, we visit the Hodo Soy Beanery and founder Minh Tsai takes us through the process.

This is a traditional way to make tofu using modern machinery, so it’s pretty cool to watch the whole process.

There’s not much to comment on here, so it’s just a video today.

Here’s where you can learn how tofu is made now…

Your question of the day: Did you know how tofu was made before this video?

1. Nihacc says:

Yes! I make tofu at home 🙂 And there is nothing like fresh homemade tofu and yuba!

2. I love Hoddosoy tofu. Thanks for sharing this.

I have made tofu before but I’d rather have them do it for me. It’s great tofu and a wonderfully ethical company.

3. Jo says:

As a former farm kid from the midwest, I had
    some idea of how done, but never seen the exact details. Now if only I wasn’t allergic to soy.

4. Cheryl says:

I loved this video series. I have never seen tofu made or attempted to make it. I am going to see if I can order on line and have it sent east.
    Thank you Kevin and Ann Marie. And the Hoddosy Tofu>

5. Sue says:

I had some idea about how it was made. I have tried to make soy milk before, but was not pleased with my results. I figured that tofu was made somewhat like cheese is made, which it is. What I had never seen before was the kind of pasta you were eating at the end of the clip!

6. margo says:

I was to the understanding that soy beans were not good for you! I am confused. Soy oil is not good for you, is that correct.

7. Isabel says:

I have made homemade soy milk and love it. I wish I could eat the tofu but my tummy can’t take the calcium sulfate. I wish there is another way of coagulating the milk into tofu. 🙁

8. Sue Rushford says:

Never knew how it was made – some of the Paleo folks had me believing that it’s all hexane-extracted – great to know most is not – not nearly as highly processed as I though – at least not by this company – very interesting video – reminds me I really need to try making soy milk or tofu in my Soyabella machine one of these days….

9. Linda says:

I never knew how tofu was made. This was very helpful, especially because I’ve read so many articles saying tofu and soy are not good for you. That has been hard for me to understand, since it is just from a bean. I do not know what calcium sulfate is and if it is good for you or not? Does this processing alter the soy in any way that makes it not good for you?

10. Karen says:

No, I never saw this before. It was sooo interesting. I sure wish there was a Hodo near me. Thanks Kevin!

11. smita says:

Super cool! Never knew it was produced this way!

12. Arty B says:

I have looked up making tofu before but had never seen a video and never heard of yuba. I loved the video because I learn better when I see something instead of just reading about it.
    I too would like to know if the calcium sulfate is good for you though.
    Thanks!

13. David Chalmers says:

I always thought tofu was much more processed and have avoided it because if that. It is basically tofu cheese made from soy beans.I have to wonder though if it is cooked to 100C which is the boiling point, if the nutrients are killed off like with cows milk. When they heat cows milk they have to add back nutrients such as vitamin C and D before selling it.

14. Sarah says:

Wow, that was interesting. I would love to try Hodo tofu. I don’t know if I have heard of yuba before but I would love to try that as well. Great videos!

15. elissa says:

You can make homemade tofu with lemonjuice or vinegar to coagulate it.

16. Kym Hutcheon says:

I’ve really enjoyed this Hodo series. We used to have a neighborhood tofu maker so I had seen some of his equipment but never the full process before.

I actually just had yuba-maki (yuba rolls filled with avocado and veg, citrusy sauce, etc. Extremely good.) last night but I’d never seen yuba noodles before. I’ll definitely be trying them sometime soon! Thanks.

17. Lenore Novak says:

Soy is not recommended because of the plant estrogen contributing to breast cancer.

18. sarah says:

soy is NOT a health food!! tofu is very toxic to the body…avoid it like the plague.

19. Dorothy Skadsheim says:

I suspect 4 reasons why some say Soy is not good for you.
    1)They did their tests with genetically modified soy beans.
    2) If you are taking synthetic and horse hormones, the soy might be used by the body instead of the dangerous synthetics, and you might get well inspite of the synthetics, and then they would lose money. It is also possible that the total amount of hormones would be too much.
    3)Some people think if some is good, more is better, and that is not necessarily so.
    4) Some people can have allergies to Soy, or be reacting to the other ingredients.
    This would be a good study.

20. Kj says:

Wonderful educating experience. So if a raw dieter eats tofu at all, they aren’t eating a raw diet. This is because of the temperature needed to make soy into tofu . Am I correct?

21. Diana Auld says:

We need the recipe now. I’m from Australia so can’t order any tofu from Hodo Soy Beanery. I would probably go for lemon juice if that has the same effect as Calcium Sulphate. It was very interesting. Thank You.

22. jayvanthy says:

Could you tell me if there is any organic brands like Hodo Soy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Mumbai, India? I would be eternally grateful if you could guide me.

I use Cottage cheese, as it is used in Indian cooking. However we are extremely fond of Tofu & Tempeh , which we liked when we were in Indonesia, but have no source in Mumbai, India.

23. Jeannie says:

Cool I always wondered how tofu was made. Now I want to locate and try yuba as well. Are there more brands that use these high quality guidelines?

24. josie says:

Why did it sound like the most nutritious part of the whole product was still sold to hog farmers? Sad.